HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2013 Prospect Updates Continued

Old
07-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Bluesoma

vCash: 500
Yeah, I follow the goalie guild and also InGoal Magazine. They stress a lot of importance on goalie coaches. One example that jumps out is Colorado and their goaltending woes which both sources point to a lack of a full time goalie coach and such.

On the Nichushkin thing. It's awesome he's dedicated to that but is it wrong the first thing I thought was that the family probably has a hot daughter? Followed by it's probably one of those McMansion places up there.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I was wondering how they determined who he would be staying with. I know its very common in the WHL, OHL towns for families to host players.. but not so common in Dallas area.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Yeah, I follow the goalie guild and also InGoal Magazine. They stress a lot of importance on goalie coaches. One example that jumps out is Colorado and their goaltending woes which both sources point to a lack of a full time goalie coach and such.

On the Nichushkin thing. It's awesome he's dedicated to that but is it wrong the first thing I thought was that the family probably has a hot daughter? Followed by it's probably one of those McMansion places up there.
But now Varlamov has Roy.

And yes, it's probably a McMansion given the demographics of Frisco.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:47 PM
PezRadar
Peverley #1 Fan!

Luckiest family ever. I would be so ecstatic to have a freaking NHL player stay with me.. Haha

PezRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

In the past several of the Texas Tornado players have billeted and Sinitsyn himself also billeted with a family when he came over. There probably aren't a ton of families but there is a network and I'm sure they spoke to several different ones before deciding to introduce him to this particular family. It really is a great situation for him. They're probably within minutes of the practice facility, he won't have to worry about food, laundry, transportation, finding an apartment, and all the upheaval of first time renting as a 18 year old in a foreign country.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
I was wondering how they determined who he would be staying with. I know its very common in the WHL, OHL towns for families to host players.. but not so common in Dallas area.
I bet the Tornado do this, so maybe it's one of the Tornado host families. Edit> Hull Fan confirmed that.

I'm really impressed with him, and other guys who come to a foreign country at freaking 18 to do this. When I was 18 I wasn't even ready to move out of my parent's house. No way I would have gone to Russia not knowing Russian all by myself. Okay well, maybe I would have for a couple mil a year.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:57 AM
aloonda
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Man pretty impressive for an 18 year old kid to do that. Not only is he focusing hard on physical training, but he's completely immersing himself in a foreign culture and forcing himself to learn the language to survive. That's going to be a stressful summer for him, and the fact he's commited to that is impressive.

gotta love the kid, what a country

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post

Pretty sure it's Nichushkin they are talking about, not Seguin....

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
Pretty sure it's Nichushkin they are talking about, not Seguin....
Pffftt...it doesn't matter who it is. It's an 18 year old kid....

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
RastaRockett

Who do y'all think has more upside.... Nichushkin or Seguin? I think both players have blazing speed. Seguin edges Choosh in skill but Choosh easily edges Segs in power/strength. I read a lot about Choosh not being a great passer on these forums, but when I read his scouting profiles (like the one on HF) it mentions his vision to find teammates as a strength. I think Segs still edges him out on playmaking but then again he is a center. I think both players can play two-way hockey.

Overall, I have no clue who I would say has more upside though. It's easy to lean on Choosh because of his size/speed/skill combo but Seguin is so damn good as well.

Last edited by RastaRockett: 07-09-2013 at 10:47 PM.
RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:46 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRockett View Post
Who do y'all think has more upside.... Nichushkin or Seguin?
I think both have franchise player level potential but until Nichuskin displays an ability to use his teammates I'd have to go with Seguin.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:48 PM
starshockeyfan56

Quote:
Who do y'all think has more upside.... Nichushkin or Seguin? I think both players have blazing speed. Seguin edges Choosh in skill but Choosh easily edges Segs in power/strength. I read a lot about Choosh not being a great passer on these forums, but when I read his scouting profiles (like the one on HF) it mentions his vision to find teammates as a strength. I think Segs still edges him out on playmaking but then again he is a center.

Overall, I have no clue who I would say has more upside though. It's easy to lean on Choosh because of his size/speed/skill combo but Seguin is so damn good as well. I think both players can play two-way hockey.
I think Seguin's ceiling is probably higher due to his speed and vision, but it's so hard to say before Nich even plays an NHL game. If Nich's development is handled properly, I feel like the sky is the limit for both of them, really.

starshockeyfan56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56 View Post
I think Seguin's ceiling is probably higher due to his speed and vision, but it's so hard to say before Nich even plays an NHL game. If Nich's development is handled properly, I feel like the sky is the limit for both of them, really.
Ya Nichushkin has a lot of work ahead of him on and off the ice. He needs to adjust to a culture and the North American game. He may develop a lot slower than Segs but when things start to click for him it's going to be scary with all that raw power.

Old
07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
starshockeyfan56

Quote:
Ya Nichushkin has a lot of work ahead of him on and off the ice. He needs to adjust to a culture and the North American game. He may develop a lot slower than Segs but when things start to click for him it's going to be scary with all that raw power.
Pretty much, ya.

I have full faith in guys like Nill and Lites, who have dealt with this a lot, to make sure that it is an easy transition for the kid. Plus, Gonchar should be a huge stabilizer for him in the locker room.

starshockeyfan56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:59 PM
txomisc

Id also give Seguin a little extra just for the fact that he is a center and I think its harder to find first line centers than it is to find first line wingers.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:00 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56 View Post
Pretty much, ya.

I have full faith in guys like Nill and Lites, who have dealt with this a lot, to make sure that it is an easy transition for the kid. Plus, Gonchar should be a huge stabilizer for him in the locker room.
Ya I liked the Gonchar signing before the draft happened, and now that we have Choosh it is a huge plus to have Gonchar around.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Id also give Seguin a little extra just for the fact that he is a center and I think its harder to find first line centers than it is to find first line wingers.
Definitely, it takes a special player to be able to handle center in the NHL. Although we haven't seen a lot of Tyler at center, he obviously has the skill package to handle the role. I was pumped about the idea of that potential massive future top line of Benn/Vinny/Nich but I'm even more excited about a Benn/Segs/Nich potential top line in the future. Tyler is still 6'1 so that line will be pretty big as well. It's going to be amazing (hopefully) to watch Tyler and Nich work off of each other on the breakout one day. So fast!

Old
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Definitely, it takes a special player to be able to handle center in the NHL. Although we haven't seen a lot of Tyler at center, he obviously has the skill package to handle the role. I was pumped about the idea of that potential massive future top line of Benn/Vinny/Nich but I'm even more excited about a Benn/Segs/Nich potential top line in the future. Tyler is still 6'1 so that line will be pretty big as well. It's going to be amazing (hopefully) to watch Tyler and Nich work off of each other on the breakout one day. So fast!
yeah Seguin is not a small or frail man at all. I went back and watched some videos hyping him in his draft year and its interesting to note how many times people talking about him mentioned that he was a natural center. I have absolutely not doubt he can return to it after just a few years in Boston.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:13 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
yeah Seguin is not a small or frail man at all. I went back and watched some videos hyping him in his draft year and its interesting to note how many times people talking about him mentioned that he was a natural center. I have absolutely not doubt he can return to it after just a few years in Boston.
You probably saw this video then, but I watched it a couple days ago and thought it was awesome. Jim Nill is the guy talking about him .

It's refreshing to hear about his playmaking instincts.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Seguin was definitely a guy drafted as a center who was expected to play center. I don't recall him ever being referred to as any kind of center/winger tweener. Him playing wing in Boston a classic case of breaking a young center in on the wing coupled with the fact that they didn't have a place for him at center on a team already that good. They weren't your typical team drafting 2nd because they got the pick via trade.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:22 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Seguin was definitely a guy drafted as a center who was expected to play center. I don't recall him ever being referred to as any kind of center/winger tweener. Him playing wing in Boston a classic case of breaking a young center in on the wing coupled with the fact that they didn't have a place for him at center on a team already that good. They weren't your typical team drafting 2nd because they got the pick via trade.
Definitely, and I think the fact that Seguin was able to crack that deep of a team at such a young age in an unnatural position speaks volumes about his talent level. It's pretty incredible. I believe I read somewhere that out of all 21 year olds in the NHL he is the most experienced in terms of games played. Of course he has all of the long playoff runs that the other players were not in a situation to make, but it is still great for us to have such a young player with all of that experience.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Scott Glennie ‏@Glenco46

see ya next summer mb !! #Texas
So is he actually taking this off-season serious? Headed down to Texas already, I presume to start training.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
So is he actually taking this off-season serious? Headed down to Texas already, I presume to start training.
Hmmm .. It would be quite interesting if he has a breakout year this year and cracks the NHL roster somehow by the end of the year.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
Hmmm .. It would be quite interesting if he has a breakout year this year and cracks the NHL roster somehow by the end of the year.
My god, it would be full of Glennies.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Pohlow

I feel like this year is his last chance to honestly make a good run at the NHL roster. He is already 22.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote