HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation Part IV: Find me the next Morris Wanchuk!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #1
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Duchy ofGrandFenwick
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,345
vCash: 500
Roster Speculation Part IV: Find me the next Morris Wanchuk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
We were all underwhelmed by Ville's entire first year in the blue and gold. He wasn't all that good in any one aspect of the game, so many of us have called for the buyout.

But then came his return from injury this year. In his 3 games (small sample size), he's really looked like a player who deserves his 4.5 mil salary. Not only does he look more comfortable under a new coach, but he seems to have "adjusted" to our style of play. His skating and puck possession are a strength, and he's benefitting from getting minutes with Hodg/Pom. We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes, but we may have spoken too soon when we called for a buyout. Leino looks like he really wants to be here, and be a key member of the team. If he can keep up this level of play, I have no problem with keeping him in the top 9.

[B]What do you think?[/B
I think you're Leino's agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
If some of the more vocal posters on this board were "pro-Ennis" we would already have had three or four threads on how Ennis is getting fewer offensive zone starts than any Sabres full time forward sans Ott and despite that finishes in the offensive zone more than any Sabres forward with the exceptions of Foligno and Stafford. Or how his quality of competition is the best among Sabres top 6 forwards and despite this (and the d-zone starts) his goals against per 60 minutes is the lowest among Sabres top-6 forwards. Or how despite the heavy defensive responsibilities in a position and role he may not be best suited for he takes the least amount of penalties per 60 minutes of any forward on the team. Or when he's on the ice a putrid face-off team wins more than 55% of defensive draws. And despite the defensive role he's poorly suited for, he has 21 points in 29 games with garbage wingers at 23 years of age.

Instead, we get non stop conversation on topics like Noronen needing more starts, Drury's intangibles making him much more valuable than Briere, how a guy that will almost assuredly go down as one of the top 5 winningest coaches in NHL history is a complete buffoon, or whatever the next hot topic the geniuses on HF18 come up with.

The reality is the incompetent general manager is forcing him into a difficult spot and Ennis is actually doing pretty well with it all things considered.
I would never have guessed all the first paragraph was true. Nice job!!

Still wish he wouldn't get pushed off the puck so easily, though.
And still wish his teammates would deal out some retribution everytime he's used to clean the glass.


Last edited by brian_griffin: 03-24-2013 at 08:56 PM.
brian_griffin is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:54 PM
  #2
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 42,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I think you're Leino's agent.



I would never have guessed all the first paragraph was true. Nice job!!

Still wish he wouldn't get pushed off the puck so easily, though.
And still wish his teammates would deal out some retribution everytime he's used to clean the glass.
He can fix a lot of that himself. Sometimes he thinks he's quicker than he is and tries to change direction when a defender is heading towards him. More than a few times he hasn't been fast enough and it leads to him getting plastered face first into the boards.

joshjull is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  #3
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22,842
vCash: 182
Just picking some nits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
If some of the more vocal posters on this board were "pro-Ennis" we would already have had three or four threads on how Ennis is getting fewer offensive zone starts than any Sabres full time forward sans Ott and despite that finishes in the offensive zone more than any Sabres forward with the exceptions of Foligno and Stafford. Or how his quality of competition is the best among Sabres top 6 forwards and despite this (and the d-zone starts) his goals against per 60 minutes is the lowest among Sabres top-6 forwards.
His qualcomp is lower than Ott, who is unquestionably a top-6 forward on this team. It's also lower than Stafford's who has been a top-6 forward for a majority of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Or how despite the heavy defensive responsibilities in a position and role he may not be best suited for he takes the least amount of penalties per 60 minutes of any forward on the team. Or when he's on the ice a putrid face-off team wins more than 55% of defensive draws.
You're being misleading. The guy hardly takes defensive zone faceoffs anymore. He's taken four defensive zone faceoffs in the last seven games, and he's lost all of them. That stat is essentially giving him credit for Ott winning defensive zone faceoffs for that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
And despite the defensive role he's poorly suited for, he has 21 points in 29 games with garbage wingers at 23 years of age.
Another misleading stat devoid of context. His 5-on-5 pts/60 mins is barely above Stafford's (1.71 and 1.67)--I'm sure that "Stafford is playing with garbage centers" thread will be started any minute by someone. But Ennis is second on the team in PP pts/60, where he racks up the points on Vanek's PP unit. Ennis is not facing tough defensive responsibilities at 5-on-4, which is where he's boosting his offensive numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
The reality is the incompetent general manager is forcing him into a difficult spot and Ennis is actually doing pretty well with it all things considered.
That much I'll agree with.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  #4
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 11,328
vCash: 500
Any defensive prospects that aren't quite as heralded as other top prospects that might be dangled in a trade for Pominville?

gallagt01 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  #5
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
I totally forgot about the Doan offer, And it eems to have gotten lost in the conversation about our gm.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
  #6
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~
 
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 50
Roster Makeup IV: Our Crappy Players Have No Value

Brennan's the first to be voted off the island.

Miller apparently broke a mirror or something if you ask Kypreos.

St. Louis is obsessed with us.

Stafford's been shopped around more than Dominic Moore in an average year.

Some GMs probably still think Regehr's worthy of a top-4 spot.



BUT


MOST OF ALL



COLLEGE FREE AGENTS!



Go!


Last edited by MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD: 03-20-2013 at 04:02 PM.
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
  #7
sabresandcanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Just picking some nits.



His qualcomp is lower than Ott, who is unquestionably a top-6 forward on this team. It's also lower than Stafford's who has been a top-6 forward for a majority of the season.



You're being misleading. The guy hardly takes defensive zone faceoffs anymore. He's taken four defensive zone faceoffs in the last seven games, and he's lost all of them. That stat is essentially giving him credit for Ott winning defensive zone faceoffs for that line.



Another misleading stat devoid of context. His 5-on-5 pts/60 mins is barely above Stafford's (1.71 and 1.67)--I'm sure that "Stafford is playing with garbage centers" thread will be started any minute by someone. But Ennis is second on the team in PP pts/60, where he racks up the points on Vanek's PP unit. Ennis is not facing tough defensive responsibilities at 5-on-4, which is where he's boosting his offensive numbers.



That much I'll agree with.
Thank you for posting this as I was beginning to type out a similar response.

sabresandcanucks is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
  #8
Rasmus Reichel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
I totally forgot about the Doan offer, And it eems to have gotten lost in the conversation about our gm.
That wouldve been an awful signing

Rasmus Reichel is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
  #9
Shmuffalo
Age ** Sabres Goals
 
Shmuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Buffalo/Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 500
This is lovely

Shmuffalo is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 04:59 PM
  #10
boots electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
That wouldve been an awful signing
Yeah, because if there's one thing this team has enough of, it's solid leadership

boots electric is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 05:08 PM
  #11
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~
 
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 50
:< aw jj

I live for those funny titles

MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 05:11 PM
  #12
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He can fix a lot of that himself. Sometimes he thinks he's quicker than he is and tries to change direction when a defender is heading towards him. More than a few times he hasn't been fast enough and it leads to him getting plastered face first into the boards.

I think the issue with Ennis is..he sees someone coming...and tries to protect the puck by turning... more natural instinct than anything.

Beerz is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
  #13
ROR
fka BCS
 
ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Yeah, because if there's one thing this team has enough of, it's solid leadership
A 36-year-old bringing second-line production and "solid leadership" for the low price of $7.5 million a year (assuming Buffalo's offer actually was 4/30). Yeah, that would've worked out great. This team would be bad with Doan, too, and we'd have all been screaming for a buyout by 2014. Pointless.

ROR is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 05:43 PM
  #14
Rasmus Reichel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Yeah, because if there's one thing this team has enough of, it's solid leadership
A 36 year old that doesnt produce anything special for 4/30? Ya I'll pass

Rasmus Reichel is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 06:08 PM
  #15
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
A 36 year old that doesnt produce anything special for 4/30? Ya I'll pass
12 hits..12 shots...2 goals last night. I think thats pretty special.

Beerz is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
  #16
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 16,098
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
12 hits..12 shots...2 goals last night. I think thats pretty special.
You missed him falling to a knee and acting like he was injured to sell a call? Then getting up like nothing was wrong and having his teammates run the person that "injured" him for the remainder of the game? His team still lost.

Doan is a loser. He's won nothing, at any level as a Hockey player. What would adding him have accomplished? His teams always lose the same way Buffalo always loses.

Moskau is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 06:20 PM
  #17
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 5,336
vCash: 500
Pominville: Population St.Louis/Los Angeles

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 06:22 PM
  #18
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
You missed him falling to a knee and acting like he was injured to sell a call? Then getting up like nothing was wrong and having his teammates run the person that "injured" him for the remainder of the game? His team still lost.

Doan is a loser. He's won nothing, at any level as a Hockey player. What would adding him have accomplished? His teams always lose the same way Buffalo always loses.
all players do that....

Beerz is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 06:55 PM
  #19
Rasmus Reichel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
12 hits..12 shots...2 goals last night. I think thats pretty special.
Stafford had a big game this year too, look at his season stats and not one game please. He's on the decline and not worth close to 7.5 a year

Rasmus Reichel is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
  #20
Beerz
Registered User
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Stafford had a big game this year too, look at his season stats and not one game please. He's on the decline and not worth close to 7.5 a year
He's on pace to have a pretty typical Shane Doan year... 7.5 is tough to swallow yup...but its not the end of the world.
But my point was...that is what he can deliver.... I would call that pretty special.

Beerz is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
  #21
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,064
vCash: 500
From an ESPN hockey writer:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Chatted w/Darcy Regier who said any trades Sabres make between now and deadline will be focused on improving team for next season.

Nothing new. I wouldn't expect Regier to announce a firesale, even if he was considering one, but hey, it's something else to chew on while we wait to see what the heck happens.

Rhett4 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
  #22
couture23
Registered User
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,337
vCash: 500
What's with Darcy shying away from college free agents? Has he expressed any interest in DeKeyser?

couture23 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
  #23
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
From an ESPN hockey writer:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Chatted w/Darcy Regier who said any trades Sabres make between now and deadline will be focused on improving team for next season.

Nothing new. I wouldn't expect Regier to announce a firesale, even if he was considering one, but hey, it's something else to chew on while we wait to see what the heck happens.
Sell Mortimer sell!

BuiltTagonTough is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
  #24
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbia, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
From an ESPN hockey writer:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Chatted w/Darcy Regier who said any trades Sabres make between now and deadline will be focused on improving team for next season.

Nothing new. I wouldn't expect Regier to announce a firesale, even if he was considering one, but hey, it's something else to chew on while we wait to see what the heck happens.
He's not going to firesale.

sba is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 08:27 PM
  #25
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
What's with Darcy shying away from college free agents? Has he expressed any interest in DeKeyser?
He signed Flynn last year, which came out of the blue so he's probably kicking the tires on some of them. He's not exactly real vocal in expressing his intentions.

Old Navy Goat is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.