HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#36 | Islanders @ Devils | 7:00 EST

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Just chiming in to provide this info:

Pre-all star: 48 GP, 12 G, 14 A, 26 P, +3
Post-all star: 34 GP, 9 G, 9 A, 18 P, +1
Stand corrected, he was better in the 2nd half then I thought. Where is he? Sweden? Someone drive the bus out there and get him to drive it back!!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Lou should have just let Salvador leave.

That's a contract that will haunt us.
He's not even close to the highest paid player, or even defender, on the team and will have 2 years left on his deal. I fail to see how that contract will haunt us.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
He's not even close to the highest paid player, or even defender, on the team and will have 2 years left on his deal. I fail to see how that contract will haunt us.
Because if he starts really playing like ass, he's over 35 and he's also our captain. Let's just say he has quite a bit of immunity.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The funny part was they had Darche floating around all that time, then basically picked up his slightly younger brother in Kostopolous.
I can't really complain about Kostopolous, though. Lou picked him up when we had multiple injuries, paid nothing for him and he's actually played ok for a guy with very little skill. Darche was here when there were no injuries. Didn't make much sense to me.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:

Precisely. This is one contract we didn't need. This is essentially why we have the 8 d men now. We had 7 signed for this year before we signed the Salvador contract. Not saying Salvador has been bad, but that money is too much for a stay at home guy who scores 10 points a year and is 37 years old. It's just too much money, and we could have spent that $3 million elsewhere even if it's next year.

$10.5 million a year between Salvador, Volchenkov, and Tallinder is just too much. That's only a couple million less than our two best and highest paid forwards combined.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
JMarce

Quote:

but then we might have had openings on D and it's not like we have any good, NHL ready prospects

Old
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
Because if he starts really playing like ass, he's over 35 and he's also our captain. Let's just say he has quite a bit of immunity.
Captaincy doesn't make you immune. Lest we forget, we traded our last captain when the team soured over. Should we need another comparison, Craig Rivet was captain of the Sabres at one point and was waived.

My point is that, while the contract isn't the greatest, it's not the ass biting contract that everyone seems to think it is.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
To be fair the captain part and the immunity it gives him is on Pete not Lou. Rest is fair though.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Stand corrected, he was better in the 2nd half then I thought. Where is he? Sweden? Someone drive the bus out there and get him to drive it back!!!!
Switzerland I believe. Not sure if their season is done or not, but they were in the playoffs last I saw. About a week or 10 days ago that was. The bad part is he has to go through waivers if we sign him. Then we risk losing him if someone below us picks him up. I can see the Raggies or Fishcakes picking him up too, and right now they're below us.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Devils Dominion
Hockey Connoisseur

Quote:
Captaincy doesn't make you immune. Lest we forget, we traded our last captain when the team soured over. Should we need another comparison, Craig Rivet was captain of the Sabres and was waived.

My point is that, while the contract isn't the greatest, it's not the ass biting contract that everyone seems to think it is.
The Caps also traded their captain, I think Chris Clark? to Columbus a few seasons ago-then made Ovi captain.

Lou won't trade Sal this week, but he should explore it in the off season.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Precisely. This is one contract we didn't need. This is essentially why we have the 8 d men now. We had 7 signed for this year before we signed the Salvador contract. Not saying Salvador has been bad, but that money is too much for a stay at home guy who scores 10 points a year and is 37 years old. It's just too much money, and we could have spent that $3 million elsewhere even if it's next year.

$10.5 million a year between Salvador, Volchenkov, and Tallinder is just too much. That's only a couple million less than our two best and highest paid forwards combined.
Salvador is a -7. Volchenkov is a +2. They're both supposed to be shut down D's... and fans has been on Volch's case nearly all year.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
VaxjoDevil

Seems to me we have zero playmaking ability when Elias is not showing flashes and actually Zidlicky also at times. Other than that they look so impotent in that area, and Kovy is really missing in that regard. Zajac has the capability but who knows whats going on with him.

It was painfully clear that Islanders can actually make passes and move at the same time, with purpose.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
The Caps also traded their captain, I think Chris Clark? to Columbus a few seasons ago-then made Ovi captain.

Lou won't trade Sal this week, but he should explore it in the off season.
Contract is not tradeable my friend. $3 million for two more seasons each for a 37 year old stay at home guy. We'd likely have to take back a BAD contract like we did with Hunter for Rolston.

Just buyout Volch's useless ass, and we're better off already.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil

maybe "haunt" wasn't the right word. but it hasn't done us anything good this season. deboer won't bench him. so he benches larsson and fayne who both seem to have lost confidence because of the constant back and forth out of the line up. harrold would have been a fine 7th d.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
I can't really complain about Kostopolous, though. Lou picked him up when we had multiple injuries, paid nothing for him and he's actually played ok for a guy with very little skill. Darche was here when there were no injuries. Didn't make much sense to me.
Darche was also here when Matteau and Bobby Butler were taking turns on the top line. I figured he was around to take Matteau's place when he got sent down but it never materialized and they burned Matteau's first FA year with a couple extra weeks for no good reason.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
MadDog172430
Palm Trees

Quote:
Salvador is a -7. Volchenkov is a +2. They're both supposed to be shut down D's... and fans has been on Volch's case nearly all year.
Really, +/- is the telling stat? Salvador plays heavier minutes against better competition at even strength. Volch plays heavy PK minutes and gets heavily managed even strength minutes. It's not that surprising their +/- differs so greatly.

Old
Bleedred
Boedker sucks

Quote:
Stop using plus/minus. I think the consensus is unless it's really bad that it doesn't mean much.

Salvador is used a top or second pairing guy. Volch is used as a bottom pairing guy who plays PK.

Old
VaxjoDevil

Volch will be back in next game that's for sure.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Scott04

Quote:
That's almost identical. The way I did it was the first 41 compared to the last 41. He had 22 points in both halves of the season, but one more goal in the second half than the first half.

Sykora was very streaky no about that. Though he would have made this team better. I can't blame Lou that I forgot Poni was on this team before tonight, or for Clarkson no showing the last 23 games. And I never blamed Lou for Parise walking as some have, and still are.
I saw your post about the half way split and I wanted to reply that he wasn't that close from one half to the next, or that he was more than just "a little streaky." Then I looked up the splits, even the month by month splits.... and yeah... no real drop offs anywhere. I mean yeah, he had 10 points one month, maybe 5 or 6 the next. But nothing too bad. Watching him he just seemed far more streaky than the numbers indicated. Maybe he pulled a few multi-goal games out of nowhere and then stopped scoring for the month to make it seem worse than the numbers show?

Quote:
Well, at least the playoff numbers don't show that he was better than it seemed. Those are pretty bad. But yeah, oddly better in the regular season than it appeared on the ice. Not like it was even a drop in power play points or anything. If anything, he was better at that later on. Had 3 power play points before the all-star break, 3 after.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
JMarce

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
too soon. I wake up screaming in the middle of the night because I'm still having nightmares about the Volch/Harrold pairing and the last TB game.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Unless he's back in for Sal, what's the point? Goal #1 was on Sal himself, Goal #2 was a Marty hairball, and Goal #3 Zubrus looked like he never played in his life (first being unsure whether to change, then forgetting about Tavares backdoor). Clearly the latter two are still rusty, unfortunately we don't have a lot of time left to get them back up to speed.

Old
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Please don't give me the +/- numbers for Volchenkov. Hell, don't give me ANY numbers for Volchnkov. How about just watching the guy play and realizing that 80% of the forwards in this league can skate circles around him and blow by him.

Old
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Captaincy doesn't make you immune. Lest we forget, we traded our last captain when the team soured over. Should we need another comparison, Craig Rivet was captain of the Sabres and was waived.

Quote:
To be fair the captain part and the immunity it gives him is on Pete not Lou. Rest is fair though.
I don't think the #'s of the deal are all that bad, but then again, the cap is going down. I just think it's a very delicate situation to have to scratch your captain should things start to go sour.

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point. I like Sal and hope he does well the rest of his time here.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Contract is not tradeable my friend. $3 million for two more seasons each for a 37 year old stay at home guy. We'd likely have to take back a BAD contract like we did with Hunter for Rolston.

Just buyout Volch's useless ass, and we're better off already.
Volchenkov: 1G 3A 4P +2
Salvador: 0G 2A -7.

Who should we buy out again?

Old
04-01-2013, 10:08 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Volchenkov: 1G 3A 4P +2
Salvador: 0G 2A -7.

Who should we buy out again?
lol that's like comparing two turds and shouting 'my turd's shinier than yours!'.

Volch's actual contract is far worse than Sal's contract though (more term, more money and the NTC). The 35+ on Sal's contract really doesn't factor in to buyouts anymore, at least not the compliance buyouts.

Closed Thread