HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Talk

Old
02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

vCash: 500
2013 Draft Talk

Not sure if there's another draft thread. If there is, I couldn't find it. Anyway, couldn't help but bring this to everybody's attention. Connor Hurley, a Center from Notre Dame. Craig Button has him ranked in the high 30's for the 2013 draft. This guy has Shark written all over him. Look at those puck skills!

http://youtu.be/uwEpSlB6uyc

Last edited by drumzan: 02-17-2013 at 04:45 PM.
drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Oh, boy, the draft!

Disclaimer: The biggest reason I'm pushing a rebuild/tank this year is because this draft as so much talent in it, not only in the top-end, but there are about 45 players that are first-round caliber. Next year's draft looks bad.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

I know you always take the best player available at your position but are there any wingers we could pick up that look to be Top 9, physical players?

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
In my completely biased opinion, I think we should get Seth Jones.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:05 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSauce View Post
I know you always take the best player available at your position but are there any wingers we could pick up that look to be Top 9, physical players?
We already took an elite physical player over an elite skill player last draft in the first round. There's too much skill in this draft to value physicality first.

The player you're imagining is Jacob De La Rose. Questionable offensive upside (as in some scouts see it, some don't), but good defense, versatile, PK, strong physical play. He should go in the 20-30 range.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:22 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
We already took an elite physical player over an elite skill player last draft in the first round. There's too much skill in this draft to value physicality first.

The player you're imagining is Jacob De La Rose. Questionable offensive upside (as in some scouts see it, some don't), but good defense, versatile, PK, strong physical play. He should go in the 20-30 range.

Hey just saying it'd be nice to have a forward with skill and size, I just wouldn't want to turn into Edmonton with so many small skilled forwards but no larger ones.

And thanks for the suggestion, I have no problem with drafting smaller skilled forwards that play hard over 6 2 or larger goons with mediocre hands. Just a balance would be nice since some of the prospects are on the smaller side in the pool.

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Oh, boy, the draft!

Disclaimer: The biggest reason I'm pushing a rebuild/tank this year is because this draft as so much talent in it, not only in the top-end, but there are about 45 players that are first-round caliber. Next year's draft looks bad.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2013-nh...0848--nhl.html

I too was under the impression that 2013 was supposed to be deep, but then I read this, and now I don't know what to think.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Hey just saying it'd be nice to have a forward with skill and size, I just wouldn't want to turn into Edmonton with so many small skilled forwards but no larger ones.

And thanks for the suggestion, I have no problem with drafting smaller skilled forwards that play hard over 6 2 or larger goons with mediocre hands. Just a balance would be nice since some of the prospects are on the smaller side in the pool.
There are a lot of bigger, skilled kids in this draft though. At the top-end (only forwards, which is what we should be drafting) there's Barkov, Monahan, Nichushkin with size and tons of skill. Guys in the middle ten with size are Mantha, Erne, Gauthier, Carrier. I like Erne and Mantha, but I'd honestly rather go for a smaller, skilled player who can skate well this time around. I like Artturi Lehkonen (although he just got another concussion, so he may fall into the second round), Anthony Duclair, Alexander Wennberg, Nic Petan.

Besides, I don't see anything wrong with Edmonton. Have you seen them play lately? Their smurfs, Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov, and Hemsky are better than Thornton/Marleau/Clowe right now. Pretty sure size isn't holding them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2013-nh...0848--nhl.html

I too was under the impression that 2013 was supposed to be deep, but then I read this, and now I don't know what to think.
It's just picking at the seams. I've followed this draft really closely (since with the lockout, there was not much else to do), and I disagree whole-heartedly.

Every year, around January or February, everyone suddenly starts to doubt the strength of the draft. Same thing happened last year, the year before, and the year before. Means nothing.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
CBJenga

Quote:

There are two players in San Jose (Gomez/Pavs) and two is Worcester(Urban/Gourde) that are under 6 feet tall, size is a long long long way from being something that could resemble a problem for the Sharks.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

They need skill and skating among the forwards...size would be a bonus. Like I've said before these are kids that aren't even close to being men yet.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
They need skill and skating among the forwards...size would be a bonus. Like I've said before these are kids that aren't even close to being men yet.
Especially if when you look at the kids who are doing well despite their height, they're also 150 pounds and have late birthdays. Lehkonen in particular is on my mid-late first wish-list, he's doing amazingly in SM-Liiga, despite being 5'10'' and 150 pounds. Kid's not a perimeter player either, he's like a Finnish Zach Parise, and skates really well and has good hands. Duclair's also got a late birthday, as does this Hurley kid IIRC.

While I'm still a fan of the Hertl pick, I'd rather Teravainen. Size is nice, but skill is more important especially to an organization where there is little skill.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Especially if when you look at the kids who are doing well despite their height, they're also 150 pounds and have late birthdays. Lehkonen in particular is on my mid-late first wish-list, he's doing amazingly in SM-Liiga, despite being 5'10'' and 150 pounds. Kid's not a perimeter player either, he's like a Finnish Zach Parise, and skates really well and has good hands. Duclair's also got a late birthday, as does this Hurley kid IIRC.

While I'm still a fan of the Hertl pick, I'd rather Teravainen. Size is nice, but skill is more important especially to an organization where there is little skill.
I was fine with the Hertl pick...i don't follow a lot of European hockey to know who Teravainen is. The one thing I think everyone can agree on...Wingers. They need wingers of all shapes and size

Old
02-17-2013, 06:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
I was fine with the Hertl pick...i don't follow a lot of European hockey to know who Teravainen is. The one thing I think everyone can agree on...Wingers. They need wingers of all shapes and size
Hertl's currently playing RW for Slavia Praha... But yeah, like I say, I follow the draft really in depth, I was convinced Teravainen was going to be a top-6 pick. Still think he should have been top-8.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:21 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

So, do you guys like Jones or Drouin for our first overall?

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Hertl's currently playing RW for Slavia Praha... But yeah, like I say, I follow the draft really in depth, I was convinced Teravainen was going to be a top-6 pick. Still think he should have been top-8.
Must be something that scared everyone off.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Must be something that scared everyone off.
Character concerns and his size.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Character concerns and his size.
This is just conjecture, right?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Guy im gunning for if im DW is Curtis Lazar. Kids the real deal, and is likely to go in the 8-15 range.

A trade up in a draft like this wouldnt be the worst thing,. and hell we might even be in a good spot to pick him anyway.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
Guy im gunning for if im DW is Curtis Lazar. Kids the real deal, and is likely to go in the 8-15 range.

A trade up in a draft like this wouldnt be the worst thing,. and hell we might even be in a good spot to pick him anyway.
I think you've missed the memo on Lazar. Was a top-10 lock to start the year, but he seems to not have much offensive upside, so he's in the 20-30 range. I want to stay the hell away from him we have enough 3C prospects.

But he hits good. So yeah. Truculence.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:43 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
You might be thinking of Ryan Hartman. I'm pretty sure he'd be available at the Sharks regular pick, 20-30 overall.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
I did a little (and I mean a little) bit of research before last year's draft, and that's who I wanted the Sharks to get. And I know next to nothing about hockey prospects. I was like, "Who?" when the Sharks took Hertl (just to show my lack of knowledge).

Just take the best skilled forward available. I don't care about size. I don't care about speed. I don't care even if it's another center. Just take the best skilled forward available.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:51 PM
DrSanchez
Back it up

Quote:
If we're towards the end of the first round, Anthony Mantha might fit that description.

DrSanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSanchez View Post
If we're towards the end of the first round, Anthony Mantha might fit that description.
Kid's got monster upside, but he's also got severe effort issues. He's also not super physical for being 6'4''.

However, if those effort issues make him slide like they did Brandon Saad, then we ought to pick him up.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Jacko95

As the Sharks are my second favorite team (behind Tampa) and San Jose seems to always be a great fit for german players, I really hope you pick up Dominik Kahun (or maybe Tiffels) when Tampa doesn't pick him. He is undersized, but he is soo skilled and he will fall because of his size.

So please give a little notice to Doug Wilson all right

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
As the Sharks are my second favorite team (behind Tampa) and San Jose seems to always be a great fit for german players, I really hope you pick up Dominik Kahun (or maybe Tiffels) when Tampa doesn't pick him. He is undersized, but he is soo skilled and he will fall because of his size.

So please give a little notice to Doug Wilson all right
DW loves Germans. You're in good hands.

(It has occurred to me that you know this and that's why you're a Sharks fan. )