HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

XXXV | "Paradigm Shift" | Battle of Alberta | 4.1.13 | 7:30PM | SNET

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 12:00 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

vCash: 500
Just get 2 points. I don't care how... regulation, OT, or shoot out, just get 2.

Outside of a few guys, Calgary's core is so old that they fart dust. Play our speed game and we should be okay.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
ive bashed the guy quite a bit lately and in the past but he does seem alot braver with brown on his wing. a 4th liner that almost never takes penalties is awesome.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I'm not worried about the flames.

I'm worried about a young team that gets some success and chronically forgets how they got there. The last few games represented the first time all year we've had a win streak. Mainly because whenever we do get some traction the club quickly moves away from playing a winning game.

The trouble with this Oilers club is its required a spanking every weak to keep their attention. Hopefully they are over that.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
spOiler

I just realized if Colorado managed to beat Detroit. If we won both games vs Calgary which is unlikely but I can hope we would be tied with Detroit with even games played. These two games are "must wins" cause our schedule only gets harder. I respect that Calgary could band together and give us a rough go. We need to overcome some adversity if we wanna be in the playoff hint.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Asher

I just want to remind everyone that the last time the Oilers played Calgary the Flames ran them over. Lee Freaking Stepniak was skating circles around them on his way to a 3 point night. Enough with Calgary taking these BoA games a lot more seriously than the Oilers do. Time to put these guys away on a regular basis. Starting tonight.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Calgary Oilers

The two BOA games this week are the statement games of the year for this team. Win both and we make the playoffs. Don't get 4 points out of the lowly Flames and it would be better to finish in the bottom 5 for another year (instead of finishing just out of the playoffs)...

Last edited by Calgary Oilers: 04-01-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 12:22 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Calgary always plays us tough. We will have to match them.

For most of this season, the Oilers have continually followed our optimism with enough losses to get us pessimistic again. Hopefully we can break that trend with a couple wins here.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Oilception

Best way to start a Monday off? buddy calling asking if i want free tickets to the Oilers game

I feel really good about this one

5-1 Oilers
(Hall, Yak, Eberle, Smid x 2)

Go Oilers Go

Old
04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I'm worried about a young team that gets some success and chronically forgets how they got there. The last few games represented the first time all year we've had a win streak. Mainly because whenever we do get some traction the club quickly moves away from playing a winning game.

The trouble with this Oilers club is its required a spanking every weak to keep their attention. Hopefully they are over that.
This in a nutshell. Allthough I am all over the Olers proving us wrong. History tends to be a sour *****.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Krut

Half of the hypocrites over at CP have done a complete 360 and are hoping for a loss so they can draft higher. Probably the same people mocking the Oilers the last few years while touting the hilarious myth that the Flames can rebuild on the fly.

One of the fools over there is hoping that the Oilers win so that we get "false hope" while the Flames can get closer to first overall.

I sincerely hope it is a decade + before they make the playoffs again.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Half of the hypocrites over at CP have done a complete 360 and are hoping for a loss so they can draft higher. Probably the same people mocking the Oilers the last few years while touting the hilarious myth that the Flames can rebuild on the fly.

One of the fools over there is hoping that the Oilers win so that we get "false hope" while the Flames can get closer to first overall.

I sincerely hope it is a decade + before they make the playoffs again.
What about the Flame fans that want a "firesale" on all their veteran players? Guess what, there's a word to describe that strategy, it's called tanking!!!

Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
0ilerman
The King

Very nterested to see how calgary comes out tonight. It'll be a true indication of the leadership group in the room, sans Iggy. Are Giordano Cammi and Tanguay really guys that can rally the troops? Hope not.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
BowDangles

I would like to see Yakupov and J Shultz get some goals tonight. Both players have had a bit of a struggle finding the back of the net lately..

Old
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
BlueChip01

CGY 0-9-1 past 10 road games, scoring 15G. EDM won 3 straight, 2 shutouts in that span

Old
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:

Can't see that trend really being gone until next season.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:

Agreed. The biggest issue for this team is realizing they have to win every battle on every shift and that talent alone will not carry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Very interested to see how calgary comes out tonight. It'll be a true indication of the leadership group in the room, sans Iggy. Are Giordano Cammi and Tanguay really guys that can rally the troops? Hope not.
Well, hopefully their 6-4 loss to CBJ the other night is the start of at least a 3 game Iggyless losing streak

Old
04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

if the Oilers wanna keep playing "meaningful" games long into April, we must be teams that are out of it like the Flames...they are brutal on the road and seem to be playing out the string

the problem is the Oilers tend to play down with the competition...and you know the Flames wanna kill the Oilers playoff chances

I left the Oilers for dead after they gassed that game against the Sharks...should they lose tonight, it'll be even tougher to recover from this loss

Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Prediction: Calgary becomes the NHL all stars and beats us 3-2
As Replacement said, I'm more worried about how the Oilers play. Calgary consistently seems to raise their game against us. Battle of Alberta actually seems to mean something to the Flames. It has to mean something tonight.

If the Oilers play like they did against the Canucks they win this game. If they come out flat like they do many a night it will be a long night.

The Flames are going to bring it. I don't have much doubt in that. We need to match their intensity.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I think the Oilers win this... but I agree, I'm more concerned that the Oilers fall back into their decent game/bad game pattern. They haven't shown the consistency yet to string together a good stretch of wins.

Honestly they've only had 2 good games in a row here... the Blues game was a steal by Khabi but they did score 3 and they won so of course we'll take it.

I'm just hoping they realize they can stay with literally any team IF they play 60 minutes of hard, determined hockey.

They have the potential to be a solid team that can be a playoff team. I don't doubt that at all... but I do doubt their ability to play up to that potential consistently. That only comes with time and experience. I'm hoping they are getting there slowly but I have my doubts they are there yet.

Honestly these 2 games versus the Flames should be walkovers... but it's all in the hands and more so the minds of the 19 guys on the ice for the Oilers. Their opponents are far down the list of concerns... it all comes down to how bad they actually want to win and make the playoffs.

They completely have their own fate in their hands and these next few games will show us whether they truly realize that and go for the throat of their opponents and TAKE a playoff spot instead of "trying" to make them.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
jetsfan85*

Oilers fans keep being LOUD! Team is clearly energized by home crowd. Every game is so important lets grab our 2 points heading into TDDay

#1 line gotta keep scoring!

Old
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
CupofOil

Are they really sitting Petrell? I don't get that. He has been the best 4th liner all season.
Sit Smyth or Brown (who had an off game against Vancouver) instead.

Tonight is big on many levels. This is typically a game when the Oilers lay a clunker after they get too satisfied after a big win (the Oilers never handle prosperity well NEVER) plus the outcome tonight could very well dictate if Tambellini will be a seller or just stay pat. If they lose, i think an already longshot at the playoffs becomes an almost impossibility considering the difficulty of the schedule down the stretch.
I know that the "Must Win" cliche is overused by i think that it really applies in this situation.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
CGY 0-9-1 past 10 road games, scoring 15G. EDM won 3 straight, 2 shutouts in that span
So, 5-1 for Calgary?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
PETRYDISH

I predict Smyth slapshots straight at the goalies crest a number of 3 times tonight.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Have a horrible feeling about this game
Hopefully they can prove me wrong

Old
04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Paradigm shift indeed:

@JasonGregor
Kiprusoff gets start for the #Flames. He has .873 SV% on the season and has given up 19 goals in last 5 starts. #Oilers need to exploit.

Closed Thread