HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#36 |New York Islanders vs. New Jersey Devils | Apr 1 | 7 PM | W 3-1

Old
04-01-2013, 09:09 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Looks like Carolina lost which could be big because they have 2 games in hand on us(and are currently 3 points back). Tomorrow night they play Washington in a, I don't care who wins but please don't go to OT game

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Looks like Carolina lost which could be big because they have 2 games in hand on us(and are currently 3 points back). Tomorrow night they play Washington in a, I don't care who wins but please don't go to OT game
All in all it was a good day. I would have obviously preferred the Rangers to lose outright, but a two point game was still a good result as both Winnipeg and Carolina (one of them) have as good a chance as us for that 8th spot.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
StumpNYI

Please tell me this is an April fools joke

Per Islanders twitter

Quote:
Tonight's #Isles win ties Head Coach Jack Capuano for 3rd all-time in the franchise win list with 77.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I think they need to give him a rest. They also need to decrease the ice time for that entire line if they keep it together.

And what the heck, just please put Lee on the line tomorrow night and be done with it. Yeah, I said it. Throw some solid read meat on the unit and let it go.
Maybe this will be the last we ever see of Reasoner..Let us pray!

04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshotgoal View Post
This was a must win and we got it! Great job Isles.

Czikas, Martin, and Hickey played very well today. It's about time Hickey showed something. A Mac was his usual horrible self out there.

Lets go Islanders!
They are all must wins from here on out.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post

Per Islanders twitter
You joke, a thread was made about "cappy for JA award" but if we make the playoffs don't be shocked if he gets votes. I would personally start a award for a team winning despite of their coach...maybe a "Marc Crawford" award = )

Also maybe a award for the best Goalie who is really not a #1 and should be a back up. And the winner is.......Nabokov!

Last edited by MattMartin: 04-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Per Islanders twitter

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

Per Islanders twitter

Think about it. Arbour coached this franchise for almost 50% of its existence. We sucked pretty bad for pretty much the rest of the 50%. No one else has coached this team for 3 full years. You don't need a whole lot to be high on the Islanders all-time coach statistics.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
JTforPres2012

If this team could pull off a W, it'd be massive. Get some separation from the Rags (regardless of games played) and be tied with the Devs.

Who knew there were only 12 games left!?

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:30 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post

Think about it. Arbour coached this franchise for almost 50% of its existence. We sucked pretty bad for pretty much the rest of the 50%. No one else has coached this team for 3 full years. You don't need a whole lot to be high on the Islanders all-time coach statistics.
Oh I want to see these statistics. Wonder where go-go sits?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Dan-o16

Not as ugly as some thought... This was a road win. Things that us fans might not look at -- this team is *really* disciplined. It served us well.

Hamonic had a very good game covering for MacDonald's blunders. Visnovsky/Hickey is our best pairing out there. Vis had a great game. Okposo battled all hard all night long.

Nabakov, for an ugly game, didn't have to make too many spectacular saves. The in-zone coverage was good, except for Boyes, who sucked in every facet. At least Moulson tries.

BTW, I think I called it earlier in the thread: the boys will beat the tight box by firing at sharp angles and looking for rebounds on the PP. I think I might apply for coach. (Jesting of course. I am trimmer and dress better than Cappy, tho.)

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Oh I want to see these statistics. Wonder where go-go sits?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_head_coaches

Just wins and losses, but it looks like Cappy moved past Lavy to get to third. Go-go is 5th.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_head_coaches

Just wins and losses, but it looks like Cappy moved past Lavy to get to third. Go-go is 5th.
Amazing. I always look at player stats an never once have I looked at coaching stats. Makes you wonder how good this team really is (or could be) when you add improved coaching to the equation.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Amazing. I always look at player stats an never once have I looked at coaching stats. Makes you wonder how good this team really is (or could be) when you add improved coaching to the equation.
I for one believe coaching matters very little. Look at how many wins Arbour mustered in the 90s. His teams simply weren't as good as the 80 teams.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
I for one believe coaching matters very little. Look at how many wins Arbour mustered in the 90s. His teams simply weren't as good as the 80 teams.
Well if Cappy keeps winning I guess we'll never know

Old
04-01-2013, 09:49 PM
stranger34

I think Martin must be under the tutelage of carkner this year with the way he fought his last two fights... He is much improved over last year.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
islesfan186

Good to get the win and take the season series vs an Atlantic division rival. One positive for tomorrow is that our old buddy Al Montoya may play since Pavelec played tonight. Isles kinda beat up on him last time (let's face it, isles really should have won that game in Winnipeg). Not to mention they played the rags tonight so hopefully they'll be a little tired. A win tomorrow should put the isles in 7th since they will have more points then the rags and even though they will have the same amt of points as the devils, they will have more wins (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Next few games are VERY winnable...jets, caps, lightning.

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:08 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan186 View Post
Good to get the win and take the season series vs an Atlantic division rival. One positive for tomorrow is that our old buddy Al Montoya may play since Pavelec played tonight. Isles kinda beat up on him last time (let's face it, isles really should have won that game in Winnipeg). Not to mention they played the rags tonight so hopefully they'll be a little tired. A win tomorrow should put the isles in 7th since they will have more points then the rags and even though they will have the same amt of points as the devils, they will have more wins (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Next few games are VERY winnable...jets, caps, lightning.
I believe we own the tiebreaker verses NJ in every way, but if we do win tomorrow night we'll have played one more game than them so I'm not quite sure how the in-season tiebreaker would work. Regardless, getting another 2 points tomorrow and moving up the standings will be a positive thing regardless of the tiebreaker.

Anybody want to guess on if Nabby will be starting tomorrow?

This game was pretty good for most of it. There wasn't a need for many (if any) outstanding saves from Nabby and the team seemed to control the pace pretty well for most of it. It's really great to see Bailey produce lately.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
You are not wrong. I hate to say this but after tonight's game the Devils seem more likely to be caught then the Rags. I'm not saying the Rags are a shoe in but since we only have to tie the Devils in points and considering they are falling apart by the minute this is a very realistic possibility.
In my original post in the GDT I said "if we win tonight we have a shot at 2 spots where as if we lose it's the Rags or bust". This win was so huge and only the Rags gained points tonight (they or Winnipeg had to) and the Hurricanes,Devils and Jets all gained nothing.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I think Martin must be under the tutelage of carkner this year with the way he fought his last two fights... He is much improved over last year.
Well if he was facing Clarkson I would hold more weight to that. He was facing a guy standing up for a teammate who was giving up a few inches and pounds. Hopefully Kostopoulos is okay and can be back real soon.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Well if he was facing Clarkson I would hold more weight to that. He was facing a guy standing up for a teammate who was giving up a few inches and pounds. Hopefully Kostopoulos is okay and can be back real soon.
I read the post game that said he will be fine. You never want to see a guy get hurt, but it seemed to really keep the Devils out of focus in the 2nd half of the first period.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
islesfan186

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Anybody want to guess on if Nabby will be starting tomorrow?
I hope he starts. Yeah Poulin hasn't played much and he may have played poorly because he hasn't played in a while blah blah excuse excuse. The isles are playing for their playoff lives. Nabby gives the isles the best chance of winning. And, as its been pointed out, backups for isles: 0-5-0 this season

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
I hope he starts. Yeah Poulin hasn't played much and he may have played poorly because he hasn't played in a while blah blah excuse excuse. The isles are playing for their playoff lives. Nabby gives the isles the best chance of winning. And, as its been pointed out, backups for isles: 0-5-0 this season
Since one of his postgame pressers, I think it was after the loss to Pitt back at the Coli (correct me if I'm wrong) where he said he has to be sharper and much better, he definitely has been. He's kept this team in nearly every game.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:33 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
If I recall correctly, he's also been pretty shakey in back to back starts...so I hope if he comes out soft that Capuano doesn't hesitate to pull him. I'd have a short leash in tomorrow nights game and would make sure that the team comes out strong.

Edit*

After looking, I think he's only played once back to back (I was thinking that awful Philly game was back to back, but it was the first of one). But the Isles have failed to win the back end of a back to back all season, this will be another test for this team.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Just got home... Trip to the rock via train is rather easy nice arena also.

Holy crap Im not used to the stress that comes with winning games I was a wreck during that second period my god. Either way great game great win! Gotta pack the coliseum tomorrow ill be there and loud!

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote