HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Trade Speculation Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
But Clarkson doesn't help us at all. He sucks. Trade the turd.
And replace him in the lineup with who, exactly? Tim Sestito? Joe Whitney? Matt Anderson? You think those guys will do better?

Not going to happen. If we see a trade involving a roster player, it will involve a defenseman, not a forward.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
crazyray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
If Urbom and Gelinas were better then any of the 8 guys on the Roster right now, Lou would have found a suitor for the expendable veteran.

Also, we have already acquired three new players, (Ponikarovsky, Loktionov, D'Agostini). Lou doesn't like to mess with the locker room too much in one season.
So instead what Lou and Pete are doing is destroying the confidence of the defense by not setting a consistant 6? Hurting the progress of Larsson?

the glut isn't just about the people on the roster, it's about allowing the defense to gel and play at a higher level without being worried about constantly being benched.

IMO this is the biggest problem... confidence in sports is extremely important... how can these guys play if there's a rotating bench?

needs to be addressed... not now but RIGHT NOW

Old
04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
And replace him in the lineup with what, exactly? Tim Sestito? Joe Whitney? Matt Anderson? You think those guys will do better?

Not going to happen. If we see a trade involving a roster player, it will involve a defenseman, not a forward.
Whitney can produce more then Clarkson. Atleast he can skate

Old
04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Lou is going to sell players on a team in playoff position is not thinking clearly.
If Lou does nothing, by next Monday we're no longer in a playoff position. And with the team's fragile mindset, they'll never recover to make it into the playoffs.

Give Clarkson a contract TOMORROW that is of current fair market value; 4 years, $14 MIL - that has to be signed in 24 hours. If he don't sign, trade him on Wednesday & don't look back. Devils can't afford to keep letting players walk away for nothing in return.

Lou needs to get with the "now" and that means, be current or fall behind.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Crapper View Post
If Lou does nothing, by next Monday we're no longer in a playoff position. And with the team's fragile mindset, they'll never recover to make it into the playoffs.

Give Clarkson a contract TOMORROW that is of current fair market value; 4 years, $14 MIL - that has to be signed in 24 hours. If he don't sign, trade him on Wednesday & don't look back. Devils can't afford to keep letting players walk away for nothing in return.

Lou needs to get with the "now" and that means, be current or fall behind.
So, you expect Lou to do two things he's never done. Negotiate a contract extension in the middle of a season, and trade a player for picks in the middle of a playoff hunt.

Yeah. Good luck with that.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
And replace him in the lineup with who, exactly? Tim Sestito? Joe Whitney? Matt Anderson? You think those guys will do better?

Those guys couldn't be worse. Point of trading him isn't to get immediately better its to get a pick which will eventually help us. Kovy will replace him in a few weeks if u wanna look at it that way.

Old
KohoDonuts88
LOYALTY

Ultimately, if Lou does anything it'll be a low-cost rental, or maybe he'll surprise everyone with the rare "hockey trade".

And before the "chemistry" quotes get tossed out, we should know by now to take Lou's quotes with a grain of salt.

Old
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
He's never played in the NHL or scored more than a PPG in the AHL.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
He's never played in the NHL or scored more than a PPG in the AHL.
I didnt say he could score more then Clarkson. I said he could skate, which is already an improvement

Old
04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
Those guys couldn't be worse. Point of trading him isn't to get immediately better its to get a pick which will eventually help us. Kovy will replace him in a few weeks if u wanna look at it that way.
They could absolutely be worse, and the only reason to think about picks in the middle of a playoff hunt is if you're out of it.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:31 PM
crazyray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohoDonuts88 View Post
Ultimately, if Lou does anything it'll be a low-cost rental, or maybe he'll surprise everyone with the rare "hockey trade".

And before the "chemistry" quotes get tossed out, we should know by now to take Lou's quotes with a grain of salt.
I'm all for a low cost rental if it means we get rid of one of our defensemen...

Let these guys play with some comfort...

If i'm worried about hitting a tee shot out of bounds in golf... there's a good chance i'll hit it out of bounds
If i'm worried about missing a jump shot on the basketball court, i'll probably miss

and if these guys are worried about making bad plays because of low confidence because 2 get benched on a regular basis... you know what'll happen. we've been seeing it for weeks. bone headed plays and breakdowns more then what we've seen in recent years.

i'll be beating this point to death, and then beating it some more... but the pysche of the athlete is so important, this ABOVE ALL is why i wanted a move made with the glut of defensemen...

Old
04-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
I didnt say he could score more then Clarkson. I said he could skate, which is already an improvement
Quote:
You must have mispoken? Anyway, wouldn't Whitney have to pass through waivers if we signed him at this point?

Is that Milbury in disguise who wants to trade Clarkson for picks?

Ohhhh I was confused haha

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
You must have mispoken? Anyway, wouldn't Whitney have to pass through waivers if we signed him at this point?
Yea , I didnt mean produce, I meant more like make an impact . My bad

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
So, you expect Lou to do two things he's never done. Negotiate a contract extension in the middle of a season, and trade a player for picks in the middle of a playoff hunt.

Yea it won't happen, but that has been his single biggest flaw over the past few years and quite frankly it is moronic business conduct. No other GM handles players like that (with nearly no exceptions) because it is flat out dumb.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Yea it won't happen, but that has been his single biggest flaw over the past few years and quite frankly it is moronic business conduct. No other GM handles players like that (with nearly no exceptions) because it is flat out dumb.
On that I don't really disagree. But if he's not willing to trade them anyway, then it doesn't really make a difference.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
AirheadPete

fact of the matter is this team is aging and its time to start getting younger.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
We will start when the time is right NOT when the team is about to make the playoffs.

Edit: Urbom is potentially a big part of the future I don't want to trade him for one season of Jagr. Maybe a 5th.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
crazyray

Quote:
the team being older is OK because we play a puck posession game

that's why Jagr fits us PERFECTLY, he's 41 and still drags people around the ice without being knocked off the puck.

urbom+ for Jagr

Old
04-01-2013, 09:43 PM
KohoDonuts88
LOYALTY

Clowe and his 0 goals are expected to fetch a first rounder. The price for Jagr could be scary.

Old
njdevil26

I have officially jumped off the Clarkson bandwagon and have run away so fast and far from it, I can't see it anymore. When he's bad.... he's REAL bad. He kills plays, whines a lot to the refs, CANNOT SKATE, and has absolutely no freaking idea where his teammates are on the ice.

What can he do? Hold the puck against the boards behind the net. Great. Also, he's doing absolutely ZERO on the power play and cannot penalty kill because his skating is terrible.

Honestly I say trade him.

Old
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
We need big young and fast forwards and offensively gifted young defensemen with size too.

Our defense now is either big/slow/unskilled or small/not very quick/weak shot.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

Quote:

You're right, good luck with that. Because Lou wouldn't do that. And this is why Lou, as great as he is at being a GM, has (1) major flaw that has caused this team to sputter, more than succeeded in the past decade.

Sometimes you can't worry about the fans, the player or his family. At the end of the day, its about winning & taking a chance. To sit back & do nothing...yeah, things may work out. Then again, from what all of us are seeing, its not going to. So you better get what you can, for whomever you can, while you can.

Clarkson is to me is like Micheal Jackson passing away. Right now, he's hot, current relevant & people want him. IF you can't get him to sign a deal now, you trade him for as much equity as possible because before you know it, he'll be unrelevent & no one cares about him anymore. Plus, we've all seen what happens to players who you think will stick around & be a "team Player" only to go on to fulfill their own objectives.

And let me tell ya' something, I like Clarkson. But when the season is over & he looks back at the past few years he's been here, then looks to see what lies ahead, ponders that for a moment, then gets a call saying that a $5-$6 Mil a year offer from Toronto or Minn., or whoever is on the table, he'll be like...NJ who?!?

And all of you on this board will be saying the same I'm saying now; Lou should've, could've, would've....

Last edited by Devils Unseen Hand: 04-01-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

You've all gone mad.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:45 PM
crazyray

Quote:
We will start when the time is right NOT when the team is about to make the playoffs.

Edit: Urbom is potentially a big part of the future I don't want to trade him for one season of Jagr. Maybe a 5th.
Urbom, Gelinas, Severstrom, and Merrill have all been labeled as potential big parts of the future for this team

but including Mark Fayne in this group, do you really see ALL 5 being a part of the defensive corps in the future?

My guess is someone goes, especially because we're realistically not going to go full rebuild with 1, maybe 2 more runs for Marty left. they aren't going to put the greatest goalie of all time through a full rebuild...

Old
04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

Quote:

Urbom is crap & never going to be on this Devils team. He would have been called up numerous times last year, but wasn't.

Moreover, Gelinas, Merrill, Burlon have more to offer than he. Sorry.

Closed Thread