HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Colborne, Top Six C?

Old
04-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

vCash: 50
Joe Colborne, Top Six C?

I find Colborne has recently been thrown into a lot of Leaf offers recently, but I think I have a case for Colborne being a top six C in the NHL as early as next season, and curious what you guys think of his value.

http://leafshero.wordpress.com/2013/...op-six-centre/

Quote:
When looking at Colborne scoring pace now, itís obvious the wrist issues were what caused the sudden disappearance of Colborne, but also his sudden re-emergence Due to the small sample size of a healthy Colborne itís hard to judge exactly the type of player Colborne is. If when healthy, he truely is a point per game AHL centre, who is still learning to use his size and only a couple months over 23 years of age, then their is a lot of reason for Leaf fans to have optimism about Colbornes future in Toronto. Over the past season many high end AHL prospects have made the jump to the NHL, and in general the jump seems to be made when a prospect has been able to put up a point per game in the minorís. When comparing Colborne to other young forwards (all born in í89 or later) who made the jump from the AHL to the NHL this season, Colborne does not look out of place.

Last edited by Hero: 04-01-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Larry Hoover

vCash: 500
Colborne is an interesting case...when healthy he's been a great 2-way beast in the AHL averaging a PPG. He then hurt his wrist and played through immense pain, his average shots per game went from ~3, to ~1 per game. He was clearly struggling and in pain thus making his numbers look sub-par.

In his last about 30 games, he's been PPG (since he's been healthy) and great 2-way. I think he can still be a good 2C or a great 3C.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

Top 6 center is a very optimistic term for Colborne.

At best he becomes an average 2nd liner but more likely a third liner like Brian Boyle. Putting up points in the AHL versus the NHL are two different stories.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
caribouPINE

I know Colborne started terribly slow but has come on at a PPG pace the last 30 or so games.

Anyone know the exact numbers? I.e. 30 points his last 30 games, + whatever, etc.

Edit: Nevermind, it's in the blog

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Man Bear Pig

I have tempered expectations for Joe at this point. Injuries have held him back. When 100% the guy can dominate. He was a project on the Bruins and still is one IMO. Moving him now before giving him a legit shot doesn't make much sense. There's been too much time put into him not to try.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

He can't be sent to the minors next season without passing through waivers.

04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Censored23

If Grabovski happens to get traded for Luongo (ugh), or even one of the three CBJ 1st rnd picks this year, i wouldnt mind seeing Big Joe take over 3c duties.

Censored23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
He'll be in the NHL next year if either Grabovski or Bozak are gone one way or another. He deserves a chance under Carlyle.

He opted to play for his teammates instead of wrist surgery in the playoffs last year, so I definitely like his attitude.

He just needs to find a way to keep his wrists healthy and the rest could fall into place. I think he has top six potential...could be the #3C next year.

Would be nice to have two homegrown centres.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Bring him up the same way we brought up Kadri, he spent his time in the AHL and if he impresses at camp give him the 3rd line center role playing sheltered minutes. Leafs have insane winger depth so he should have decent linemates regardless.

If he doesn't impress at camp and can't make the roster then so long, farewell.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Top 6 center is a very optimistic term for Colborne.

At best he becomes an average 2nd liner but more likely a third liner like Brian Boyle. Putting up points in the AHL versus the NHL are two different stories.
An average 2nd line center is a top 6 player...

Roboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

If Bozak resigns, I could see the Leafs starting next year with...

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Frattin - Colborne - Komarov
McLaren - McClement - Orr

Old
04-01-2013, 03:10 PM
SiCKNESS

Colborne seems like a solid 2nd/3rd line C, much like Stoll or Zack Smith.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Funk21

Why would people pencil in Komarov ahead of MacArthur or is that becausev he is a UFA at the end of the year?

I really like MacArthur's offensive upside and he has heart maybe not the size you want on a third line.

Funk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
Why would people pencil in Komarov ahead of MacArthur or is that becausev he is a UFA at the end of the year?

I really like MacArthur's offensive upside and he has heart maybe not the size you want on a third line.
It's just the UFA thing. If MacA resigns for something reasonable that be great.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:22 PM
umwoz

Well ready or not he only has till next year, he's hitting waiver eligible soon.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post

Komarov gets under people's skin, and he can bounce between the 3rd and 4th line because his one obvious shortcoming is a lack of offensive skill. But he is a useful chip to have. An odd effect of the emergence of the Lupul/Kadri/Kulemin line as one of two scoring lines (1A or 1B, take your pick) is that two thirds of last year's 2nd line (Grabovski and MacArthur) are now looking for new roles, and both might benefit from a change of scenery. If Grabovski is traded, Colborne gets the first audition for 3C, I imagine, or we pick something up trading Grabo and Mac.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
oilers84

to t.o.
belanger
hamilton
3rd
bulin

to edm
colborne
biggs

oilers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
If Bozak resigns, I could see the Leafs starting next year with...

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Frattin - Colborne - Komarov
McLaren - McClement - Orr
That looks like a cup contending offense to me.

Bozak could use an upgrade, but then again remember andy mcdonald was the #1 center for the anaheim ducks.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to t.o.
belanger
hamilton
3rd
bulin

to edm
colborne
biggs
Good one

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
IranCondraAffair

I actually expected him to have fallen off the radar by now, so to see him doing well is actually a shock to me.

Having said that, he's not going to get an opportunity in Toronto as long as Kadri, Bozak, and Grabo block his advancement. I also don't see the organization giving up any of the three above him to make room. Colborne hasn't been TAHT impressive.

I think he has some good value to a team that might need centres like Phoenix. What they'd give up is open to speculation but I imagine his value would be similar to a 2nd round pick

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to t.o.
belanger
hamilton
3rd
bulin

to edm
colborne
biggs
Ouch.

In all seriousness, I'm taking a wild guess that Calgary's asking for him in the Kiprusoff deal. He's an Alberta kid and he fits their need for both a big forward and a centreman for their rebuild.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote