HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Roster Speculation Part V: Report - Pominville asked for his NTC list of 8

Old
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
My point remains regardless of semantics. Teams can turn it around without throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Right, except they've been trying to do that since 2008 and it has resulted in zero playoff series wins.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
Trading Miller without getting a NHL-goalie in return is just stupid.

Trading away Pominville is also stupid, trading away Vanek is even more stupid unless we get some really good players in return. But people have such high beliefs that draftpicks make a contender-team. See you in three years and let's which player you want out of here and how all of you are screaming for rebuild and trainers/gm fired.

Ugly...
There are players you just have to bid farewell to at times. When I was a kid, Martin, Robert, Gare, Schoney, Luce, Korab, Edwards.....they were all traded. Why? Because it became obvious that those teams couldn't accomplish squat in the playoffs.

This bunch?

They can't accomplish squat in the regular season.

Players come and go. That's just the way it works. Outside of Perreault and Ramsay, I can't think of any good players that played their whole career in Buffalo.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
The Roy trade would have been good but Regier forgot the second part.
That's why Regier should have done what I was yapping for last year - acquire a defensively capable C BEFORE trading Roy.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Not necessarily. I don't think he's a good example. Different situations. Roy had off the ice drama and maturity problems.

But the point of them not being any better without him is accurate.

I'd trade Vanek before Pominville, that's just me though.
like not taking responsibility for mistakes while wearing the C?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Right, except they've been trying to do that since 2008 and it has resulted in zero playoff series wins.
Under Pegula...??? No, under ownership that balked at contract lengths to keep quality players.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
So is Patrick Caisse of TVA Sports.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Y'all were wrong to want Roy gone.
we were right...

and it's leading towards a complete dismantling of this failed era.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
My point remains regardless of semantics. Teams can turn it around without throwing the baby out with the bath water.
So let's say they were to keep Pomvinille, Miller and Vanek and in two years they're in the same spot. Then what? Do you ditch them then and start over? You might as well just do it now and get it over with. You already have a number of young players on this roster that are going to have growing pains (Hodgson, Ennis, Myers, Tropp, Foligno, Pysyk, Flynn if he sticks), so you might as well just add to them now so they can all grow together as a team.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Under Pegula...??? No, under ownership that balked at contract lengths to keep quality players.
Like who? They let Tallinder and Lydman walk, that's about it (they should have kept one of them).

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Y'all were wrong to want Roy gone.
If you told me we could make the playoffs this year by reversing that trade I wouldn't reverse it. another 1st round exit isn't appealing.

This organization is spinning its tires... time to peel out baby. We need real talent, not second liners being asked to be first liners.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
we were right...

and it's leading towards a complete dismantling of this failed era.

That's a nice way to gloss over the fact that the team's performance suffered without a player like Roy in the top nine. This is NOT what posters were clamoring for when calling to trade Roy. I've never hated that idiotic line, "addition by subtraction" so much in my life until last summer.

How about, "leave a productive top nine intact and trade Roy when his value is higher". Nah, that's not knee-jerk or vindictive enough.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Like who? They let Tallinder and Lydman walk, that's about it (they should have kept one of them).
Did I really have to bring up B & D?? He said "2008", but my point was ownership held back certain personnel moves. That's a self-evident point.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
That's a nice way to gloss over the fact that the team's performance suffered without a player like Roy in the top nine. This is NOT what posters were clamoring for when calling to trade Roy. I've never hated that idiotic line, "addition by subtraction" so much in my life until last summer.

How about, "leave a productive top nine intact and trade Roy when his value is higher". Nah, that's not knee-jerk or vindictive enough.
You still don't get it.

Roy the point producer would have been fine. Roy the person, Roy the attitude... thats who they needed to get rid of asap. Nobody wanted Hodgson hanging around that tool....

Roy stays= Hodgson taking instagrams with no pants on passed out on chippewa

Roy gone= Hodgson spends the summer with Gary Roberts

Old
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM

To Montreal

Regehr

To Buffalo

Calgary 2nd

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:22 PM
makeitburn
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Here's the list, I already know it:

1) Ennis
2) Armia (bold prediction)
3) Myers
4) Pysyk (he'll be like a Sekera where people will gush about his advanced stats)
I would put Grigorenko at the top of the list if anyone, he is soft an reactive just like Pommers. What did Chara look like at Myer's age? Pysyk might be on the weaker side, but nobody is expecting to pencil him in as a shutdown defender either. Armia has been doing just fine playing with men and usually its that transition that is unknown in prospects, so yes, you're being pretty damn bold there.

I'd rather seen Pominville long gone before Vanek. His trade value couldn't be higher. You would rather see Roy on this team than Ott though so I don't think we'll ever agree on anything. Good bye.

makeitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
To Montreal

Regehr

To Buffalo

Calgary 2nd
2nd and what else?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
like not taking responsibility for mistakes while wearing the C?
This, in fact I'd say this is even worse. Nothing is worse than listening to Pominvile past the buck when others players on the team take blame for their mistakes.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
2nd and what else?
Nothing, that will be a top 35 pick in all likelihood

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
You still don't get it.

Roy the point producer would have been fine. Roy the person, Roy the attitude... thats who they needed to get rid of asap. Nobody wanted Hodgson hanging around that tool....

Roy stays= Hodgson taking instagrams with no pants on passed out on chippewa

Roy gone= Hodgson spends the summer with Gary Roberts
That's ridiculous to think Hodgson or anybody else would somehow turn into punk prima donnas just because Roy is/was. A whole extra ten weeks would somehow ruin Hodgson, Ennis, etc until Roy could be dealt for a better return??? That's rich. You don't get how heavy you spread the cheese.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
That's ridiculous to think Hodgson or anybody else would somehow turn into punk prima donnas just because Roy is/was. A whole extra ten weeks would somehow ruin Hodgson, Ennis, etc until Roy could be dealt for a better return??? That's rich. You don't get how heavy you spread the cheese.
10 more weeks of roy complaining about how everyone else got paid, and he was underpaid for years...

Old
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
What extra 10 weeks?

you realize when Roy was traded there could have been an entire season before the next deadline, or no season at all....?

Face it.... management wouldn't consider having him around. you can argue what would or wouldn't happen had he stayed... but i have history on my side. they bailed on him quick, for probably less than he was worth, just to get him the hell out.

bad apple.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Sabresfansince1980

SO WHAT?!? Even if that is true, we're talking about ten stinking weeks of a season more. If that's all it takes to end up putting the team in a better off position with picks/prospects, it's a small price to pay.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
SO WHAT?!? Even if that is true, we're talking about ten stinking weeks of a season more. If that's all it takes to end up putting the team in a better off position with picks/prospects, it's a small price to pay.
actually, your argument is that Roy would make us a better team this year... so arguably, keeping him for those 10 weeks would've put us in a WORSE position in terms of picks, because it would've taken us out of the hunt for one of the top prospects.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Sabresfansince1980

The labor dispute was evident from miles away, and Dallas had no issue with surgery for Roy. The future wasn't very murky for them. Change it from ten weeks to 30 if you want, I take a better return in that trade over anything else.

Funny how you're calling "scoreboard" on this trade as if what happened is the best result, while trashing everything else this organization has done the last 5-8 years.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Did I really have to bring up B & D?? He said "2008", but my point was ownership held back certain personnel moves. That's a self-evident point.
He said 2008 because that's what's relevant regarding this core group as the core group. It's not like the Sabres can just add 2006-level Drury and Briere back to the mix to make them contenders again. Did ownership handcuff Darcy from getting the most out of this core? Yes, but we can't go back in time and fix that. New ownership will allow us more opportunity to keep our good players, but it won't allow Darcy to just pull key players out of his rump, which is basically what would have to happen to make this group serious contenders.

Trading our own picks, prospects, and young players in order to win now with this group would obviously be a terrible idea, I'm sure we all agree there. So what can realistically be done to win with these 3 players next season? We need to be looking at competing not next season, but 1 or 2 years after that. The Big 3 can help with that, but they need to be resigned. The team needs to figure out which of those guys are the ones to keep and which ones they'll be able to keep. We can't afford to let them walk away for nothing as the team desperately needs assets to keep the longterm talent level high.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote