HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Roster Speculation Part V: Report - Pominville asked for his NTC list of 8

Old
04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Sabresfansince1980

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
actually, your argument is that Roy would make us a better team this year... so arguably, keeping him for those 10 weeks would've put us in a WORSE position in terms of picks, because it would've taken us out of the hunt for one of the top prospects.
Probably, but with a better return in the trade itself. So it's a bigger coin flip type argument about staying competitive or burning it down. Nobody has the answer for that.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Well this was the dumbest arguement I have read in awhile

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob paxon View Post
he said 2008 because that's what's relevant regarding this core group as the core group. It's not like the sabres can just add 2006-level drury and briere back to the mix to make them contenders again. Did ownership handcuff darcy from getting the most out of this core? Yes, but we can't go back in time and fix that. New ownership will allow us more opportunity to keep our good players, but it won't allow darcy to just pull key players out of his rump, which is basically what would have to happen to make this group serious contenders.

trading our own picks, prospects, and young players in order to win now with this group would obviously be a terrible idea, i'm sure we all agree there. So what can realistically be done to win with these 3 players next season? We need to be looking at competing not next season, but 1 or 2 years after that. The big 3 can help with that, but they need to be resigned. The team needs to figure out which of those guys are the ones to keep and which ones they'll be able to keep. We can't afford to let them walk away for nothing as the team desperately needs assets to keep the longterm talent level high.
qft...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
BowieSabresFan

Folks have to be careful of just getting rid of players to get rid of them. The team did not become better with the Ott/Roy trade.

As for failing to win with Vanek, Pominville, and Miller, perhaps the pieces around them also weren't good enough. Perhaps they can be used in a complementary role?

Mind you, I'm not against trading anyone on the roster if it makes the team better. Just be careful that it does.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Holy *****...what thread did I just walk into...

Coming up to arguably the most important trade deadline in franchise history and we're arguing about Derek Frickin Roy?

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He said 2008 because that's what's relevant regarding this core group as the core group. It's not like the Sabres can just add 2006-level Drury and Briere back to the mix to make them contenders again. Did ownership handcuff Darcy from getting the most out of this core? Yes, but we can't go back in time and fix that. New ownership will allow us more opportunity to keep our good players, but it won't allow Darcy to just pull key players out of his rump, which is basically what would have to happen to make this group serious contenders.

Trading our own picks, prospects, and young players in order to win now with this group would obviously be a terrible idea, I'm sure we all agree there. So what can realistically be done to win with these 3 players next season? We need to be looking at competing not next season, but 1 or 2 years after that. The Big 3 can help with that, but they need to be resigned. The team needs to figure out which of those guys are the ones to keep and which ones they'll be able to keep. We can't afford to let them walk away for nothing as the team desperately needs assets to keep the longterm talent level high.
1st paragraph - no we can't gop back in time and that's why I thought it was a poor point he made in the first place. We can only go with what ownership now allows, and the TG era should not taint the current process.

2nd paragraph - I agree, and there's time to make some changes now, see what happens during next season, and decide on re-signing or trading the big three then. As I said, there are pros/cons in their trade value between now and next year so I don't see a need to panic or rush a trade with any of them now.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearedButNotOut View Post
Holy *****...what thread did I just walk into...

Coming up to arguably the most important trade deadline in franchise history and we're arguing about Derek Frickin Roy?
Yeah, I'd rather talk about the whiny teenage girls on Twitter talking about how they'll miss Pominville's handsome face than to rehash Roy, Tallinder/Lydman, or Briere/Drury.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Yeah, I'd rather talk about the whiny teenage girls on Twitter talking about how they'll miss Pominville's handsome face than to rehash Roy, Tallinder/Lydman, or Briere/Drury.

One of the many reasons I have no Twitter, Facebook etc account...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:43 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Derek Roy properly used as a 2nd line center with no letter on his chest and no Lindy Ruff is a great asset to any team.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

It'd be nice if the crack hockey department at the Buffalo News had some info on Pominville being asked to submit a list.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It'd be nice if the crack hockey department at the Buffalo News had some info on Pominville being asked to submit a list.
"Let's talk about why Vanek's going to be traded"

Old
04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Derek Roy properly used as a 2nd line center with no letter on his chest and no Lindy Ruff is a great asset to any team.
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

Let's be perfectly clear though - if Roy is anything like his supposed reputation I would choke him out in the locker room and dump him in the laundry chute. That said, I'll be very curious to see how he does after ending up in Van or Anh.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

They probably aren't on speaking terms with the players. The Buffalo hockey media sucks, bad.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:56 PM
aceface33

What about that year where Roy went out and the team got better? Hodgson is a more than adequate Roy replacement. What the team needs is Gaustad or his cheaper version.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
What about that year where Roy went out and the team got better?
Correlation vs causation dogg

Old
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
What about that year where Roy went out and the team got better? Hodgson is a more than adequate Roy replacement. What the team needs is Gaustad or his cheaper version.
Sabres did a similar run the next year with him. Clearly this team only plays well after the Trade Deadline

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

I can't believe there's still such a disconnect with regards to the Roy trade. The logic was simple: get the lockerroom dividing, prima-Donna whining "core" player off the team in an effort to drastically change its culture. Roy for Ott, even though it's possible Darcy could have gotten a bit more, was and still is a good trade. People are missing the kicker, however: Darcy failing to bring in another center to replace Roy and play any semblance of a shutdown role. Instead, he moronically thought that throwing Hodgson and Ennis (and even Grigorenko) to the wolves was a suitable solution, when in reality everyone and their mother new we needed at least a Jay Mcclement or Boyd Gordon type to compliment our young and defensively lacking center group. If Regier goes out and takes care of this brutally obvious need, we're not nearly as bad this year, people still praise Steve Ott and what he brings and overall we're satisfied with the trade. Instead, we're arguing whether or not we won the trade, instead of reaching a consensus that Regier incompently ignored a huge need. Roy needed to go, at all costs. But without finding an ample replacement, Darcy cut off his nose to spite his face.

Last edited by Irving Zisman: 04-01-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
That wasn't possible in Buffalo.

In Buffalo he was a first line center, with a letter on his chest, with Lindy Ruff as a coach.

Roy was clearly traded for reasons far beyond his play on the ice. Is that even debatable?

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Zisman View Post
Roy needed to go, at all costs. But without finding a suitable replacement, Darcy cut off his nose to spite his face.
So then you're really saying Roy needed to go, but after acquiring a replacement, so not truly at "ALL" costs. Just sayin'

Old
04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
I can't believe there's still such a disconnect with regards to the Roy trade. The logic was simple: get the lockerroom dividing, prima-Donna whining "core" player off the team in an effort to drastically change its culture. Roy for Ott, even though it's possible Darcy could have gotten a bit more, was and still is a good trade. People are missing the kicker, however: Darcy failing to bring in another center to replace Roy and play any semblance of a shutdown role. Instead, he moronically thought that throwing Hodgson and Ennis (and even Grigorenko) to the wolves was a suitable solution, when in reality everyone and their mother new we needed at least a Jay Mcclement or Boyd Gordon type to compliment our young and defensively lacking center group. If Regier goes out and takes care of this brutally obvious need, we're not nearly as bad this year, people still praise Steve Ott and what he brings and overall we're satisfied with the trade. Instead, we're arguing whether or not we won the trade, instead of reaching a consensus that Regier incompently ignored a huge need. Roy needed to go, at all costs. But without finding an ample replacement, Darcy cut off his nose to spite his face.

I just don't undertand how people don't know why Roy was traded.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
So then you're really saying Roy needed to go, but after acquiring a replacement, so not truly at "ALL" costs. Just sayin'
lol, touché. But I think you still get the gist of what I'm sayin'

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Obviously not. Roy had to go at all costs, that why he was traded before we had a replacement.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Roy wrote his own ticket when he couldn't keep his mouth in the weeks following the end of the season.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
lol, touché. But I think you still get the gist of what I'm sayin'
Yes I do, but the behind the scenes stuff is still speculation. We don't really know if/how bad Roy might have been. What gets me though was all the talk last summer about "addition by subtraction", when this season has shown (among other problems) that it was just subtraction by subtraction to remove him from the center position. Worse team on the ice, as much (if not more) drama from players off the ice.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Yes I do, but the behind the scenes stuff is still speculation. We don't really know if/how bad Roy might have been. What gets me though was all the talk last summer about "addition by subtraction", when this season has shown (among other problems) that it was just subtraction by subtraction to remove him from the center position. Worse team on the ice, as much (if not more) drama from players off the ice.

The Off Ice stuff was so bad that we traded our top center for Steve Ott without a suitable replacement.