HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Islanders prospects show ample progress and promise

Old
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
New York Islanders prospects show ample progress and promise

The New York Islanders have done a tremendous job of stockpiling a very deep and talented prospect pool. General Manager Garth Snow has learned to not rush his youngsters and to make sure they are one hundred percent ready before he calls upon them for full-time NHL duty. The next few years will be critical in the development of these young guns and will prove if they can play at the NHL level.

1. (1) Ryan Strome, C, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 5th overall, 2011

Strome has proven that he can do it all at the OHL level captaining the Niagara IceDogs.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:33 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
2. (2) Griffin Reinhart, D, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 4th overall, 2012

Reinhart has put together another very solid season as captain of the Edomonton Oil Kings of the WHL. His point total is down from 36 to 29 points this season, but that is most likely due to the defensive style of play implemented by the Oil Kings. He also gained some valuable experience playing for Canada in the WJC. He did not receive a lot of minutes due to the amount of talent the Canadians had, but when he was on the ice he did not seem out of place. He has ideal size for a defensemen, but he does not physically punish opposing players. He makes up for his lack of physical play with superb positioning and stick work. He owns a very good breakout pass and is capable of running the power play. His skating ability and footwork are above average for a big guy and have improved this season.

If he can somehow develop a mean streak of some sort he could be an absolutely dominant player. For now he projects a solid minute munching top pairing defenseman that can shut down the oppositions top lines and contribute offensively.

...[/url]
Is Bouwmeester a good comparison? A big, mobile skater, who'll log a lot of mins but lacks a physical edge?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:42 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I see 20 future NHLers on that list. Really remarkable.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
That is a very impressive list of prospects and it does not even include a couple of guys that I still think are going to be NHL players:
Mikko Koskinen and Kirill Petrov.

Very exciting day(and hopefully future) as an Islanders fan.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:57 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Is Bouwmeester a good comparison? A big, mobile skater, who'll log a lot of mins but lacks a physical edge?
Reinhardt is much more physical than most scouting reports suggest. He just doesn't chase people around and look to hit everything all the time. He thinks positioning first, if a. Opportunity to stand someone up he doesn't hesitate and when he hits its very effective. If his offense and skating can progress he has Alex Edler written all over him.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Reinhardt is much more physical than most scouting reports suggest. He just doesn't chase people around and look to hit everything all the time. He thinks positioning first, if a. Opportunity to stand someone up he doesn't hesitate and when he hits its very effective. If his offense and skating can progress he has Alex elder written all over him.
Agreed on the Alex Edler comparison. I think it was the comparison for Reinhart from several sources before the draft.

Maybe one more year at Edmonton and we see a bit more of the lion emerge in him. If he does exhibit more snarl, he could be terrifying for forwards.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:01 PM
IslandersFan17

Color me a homer. Color me extremely enthused about Strome, Pedan and Lee that its carrying over into other posts. However, the fact of the matter is, you see a list like that and you can't help but feel like reinforcements are coming in droves.

Scary thing is there are at least three guys on that list I see making a pitch for full time work with the big club next year.
Donovan
Nino
Nelson... Nelson might be a long shot but I could see it.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Reinhardt is much more physical than most scouting reports suggest. He just doesn't chase people around and look to hit everything all the time. He thinks positioning first, if a. Opportunity to stand someone up he doesn't hesitate and when he hits its very effective. If his offense and skating can progress he has Alex Edler written all over him.
Thanks. I appreciate you letting me pick your brain

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Degeneration Rex

Watched the replay of Edmonton's game against Kootenay on Saturday and Reinhart made a huge hit at the end of the second period. Don't know where he gets the soft tag from, he was taking the body and doing it smartly. He looked so much bigger than all the other players, the so called experts.must think he should destroy someone with every check. Clear to see Reinhart knows what he's doing out on the ice, playing the body effectively and not reckless. If the experts say he"s soft because he does not put people through the boards all the time they are not watching the hockey player close enough.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
IMO, Marc Staal is the closest NHL comparison. Same sort of physical game where they'll hit if the opportunity presents itself, but won't go looking to Scott Stevens someone every chance they can. Same sort of offensive game where they're efficient at moving the puck, but not put up huge offensive totals. And same sort of shutdown defensive ability relying on long reach, positioning, and high defensive IQ.

I don't think Bouwmeester is a good comparable because Bouwmeester is a tremendous skater, whereas Reinhart will, at best, be a decent skater.

Quote:
My viewings have been limited, so take that for what it's worth, but I haven't seen the offensive upside in his game during any of those viewings to suggest he could put up Edler-like numbers.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Color me a homer. Color me extremely enthused about Strome, Pedan and Lee that its carrying over into other posts. However, the fact of the matter is, you see a list like that and you can't help but feel like reinforcements are coming in droves.

Scary thing is there are at least three guys on that list I see making a pitch for full time work with the big club next year.
Donovan
Nino
I would not be shocked in the least for Strome to be the 2nd line center next year. Not saying he should be given a job, but I can see him earning it in camp.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:41 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post

Donovan
Nino
On that list, Strome, Donovan, Niederreiter, Nelson, Lee, Nilsson, Poulin, Cizikas, Ullstrom, and even de Haan have quite legitimate shots at making the Islanders next year. Cizikas being on the list is kind of odd since most of us already see him as a full time NHLer, but I guess he still qualifies.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Can someone explain the A,B,C,'s? I mean literally. How is Strome a "C". Is that a expectation grade? #imsoconfused

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Can someone explain the A,B,C,'s? I mean literally. How is Strome a "C". Is that a expectation grade? #imsoconfused
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings – has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.

He could reach the expectations but there's a chance he won't.. Right now he's graded an 8.0 which is a first line forward but there's a chance he could drop down to a 6.0 which would mean 3rd liner if it all doesn't pan out.

Or I think that's how it works..

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
scott99

Quote:
Bouwmeester has never checked anyone in his life. I've seen Reinhart check people hard.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings – has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.

He could reach the expectations but there's a chance he won't.. Right now he's graded an 8.0 which is a first line forward but there's a chance he could drop down to a 6.0 which would mean 3rd liner if it all doesn't pan out.

Or I think that's how it works..
Do they give out A's or 10's? I wonder what Crosby's numbers were.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
No, not a good comparison at all. Bouwmeester is a great skater.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Do they give out A's or 10's? I wonder what Crosby's numbers were.
Crosby was a 10C.

Don't put too much stock into it. Okposo was 8.5B

Old
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
IMO, Marc Staal is the closest NHL comparison. Same sort of physical game where they'll hit if the opportunity presents itself, but won't go looking to Scott Stevens someone every chance they can......

My viewings have been limited, so take that for what it's worth, but I haven't seen the offensive upside in his game during any of those viewings to suggest he could put up Edler-like numbers.
In fairness to me, I said if his skating improves and offense develops he is a carbon copy of Edler. IMO he (Reinhart) has a LONG way to go with his skating. To be honest though, Alex Edler as a 19 year old, didn't look like he would turn into Alex Edler today (offensively). And let's not make Edler out to be Brian Leetch either, Edler is a good offensive player but he isn't a league leading PP QB with a Bomb from the point (in fact Id say Reinharts shot is better).

I do like your Marc Staal comparison, but even Marc Staal skates better than Reinhart. The key to Reinhart and his potential is going to be his skating and speed. If he doesn't progress much, his game will not blossom as much as it could and might not reach Marc Staal/Alex Edler status in the NHL. BUT If he becomes just a decent skater, I think he is a better Marc Staal and a more intimidating Alex Edler.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Crosby was a 10C.

Don't put too much stock into it. Okposo was 8.5B
I guess this another one of these "guestimation" sites just like the one with the "chances of making the playoffs. As of today we are pretty far ahead of Philly in terms of making the playoffs yet they are 2 points behind us and play us twice. I'm pretty sure players such as Clarkson and Moulson (just off the top of my head) were like 5.0 d per this site and they aren't to shabby = )

Old
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
I guess this another one of these "guestimation" sites just like the one with the "chances of making the playoffs. As of today we are pretty far ahead of Philly in terms of making the playoffs yet they are 2 points behind us and play us twice. I'm pretty sure players such as Clarkson and Moulson (just off the top of my head) were like 5.0 d per this site and they aren't to shabby = )
Just to add, Cizikas is an A. He's a 6.5A, and with the explanation from IR4, you can see how the rankings work. All of us who have watched this year can agree that CC looks like a lock as at least a 3rd line spark plug type player... hence the 6.5A.

And to your point about the 'chances to make the playoffs', those sites are taking into account number of teams to jump (Flyers are only 2 points behind but THREE spots below -- making it much harder for them to jump and they don't control their destiny), as well as remaining schedule, home/away left compared to record for each, etc. With all of that, it makes sense that we should have a much better chance than them despite only a 2 point lead.

But yea, like you said -- just predictions. Nobody can tell the future.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
RMimagery

No Anders Lee?

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
No Anders Lee?
Look again - number 9 at a 7.0C

Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
StrongIslanders90

Damn!!!That some prospect pool we got....

if a third of these guys reach thier potential we will look good...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
That is who popped into my mind when reading the projecting.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote