HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL/AHL Affiliates - How Does The Process Work?

Old
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Someone smarter than me will know more, but I'm pretty sure an affiliation is a requirement ever since the expansion to 30 teams.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...84&postcount=1

No, it's not. People should bookmark this post, and be required to read it before attempting to make any posts about the AHL and affiliations on any discussion board.

Just to highlight the relevant quote and source:

Quote:
As part of the initial AHL membership application a potential owner must have an NHL affiliation in place, but the league’s governing documents do not necessarily prevent an existing franchise from continuing to operate should it lose its affiliation.

Jason Chaimovitch
Vice President of Communications,
American Hockey League
So, Hutch is just as wrong now as he has been every time he insists that there are "no independents allowed", despite him having been corrected a semi-infinite number of times.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
not under the current scenario, danishh:

If Levin moves up he inherits the existing PDC w/ Portland, just as TNSE DOES WHEN THEY acquired Atlanta AND SHIFTED the Moose to NFLD/Labrador (existing 2 yr PDC) IRREGARDLESS of the lease w/ the arena. Levin loses his rights to the WOLVES if he shifts leagues.
Levin loses nothing if he buys an NHL team. The ONLY reason TNSE moved the former Moose franchise was because they played in the arena that the Jets were going to be using. They lost NOTHING when they bought the Thrashers. TNSE also owns the arena in Winnipeg so no worries about an arena lease being broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
obviously, like TNSE did, he'd try to work out a 'trade' with st. louis, where they shift to portland and seattle signs a new deal with chicago.
He doesn't need to work out anything. He breaks the affiliation with whomever he has it and affiliates with his NHL team ala Moose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Why would St. Louis want to be further away, than IL, WHETHER it lands in Chicago or not, danishh, Phoenix has no interest in being bought out of its contract, and there's the caveat of the existing team has to find the next one before paying Portland wht's outstanding, just as Washington did in 2005, Anaheim paid when they pulled out after 3, and Buffalo did when they returned to Rochester when they bought them.

you forget PORTLAND HAS BEEN PRIVATELY OWNED SINCE ITS INCEPTION in 1977.
There is no caveat that the existing team has to find a home before being bought out. Why would Phoenix want to be in Portland? Why would LA want to be in Manchester? and on and on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...84&postcount=1

No, it's not. People should bookmark this post, and be required to read it before attempting to make any posts about the AHL and affiliations on any discussion board.

Just to highlight the relevant quote and source:

So, Hutch is just as wrong now as he has been every time he insists that there are "no independents allowed", despite him having been corrected a semi-infinite number of times.
Hutch means well but is wrong on many things associated with affiliations. He's correct on certain other things but usually misses the mark on affiliations.

Back in the IHL days (pre 2001-2002). the Wolves had only a partial affiliation with the NYI and the rest were players they went out and got themselves. If there were any team that would have the financial brass to be independent, or go out an grab one or two players form a couple of NHL teams, it would be Chicago.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

So I have questions.

Previous reading has given me the impression that, while the NHL club supplies players (or most of the players), that the AHL team pays a fee for the affiliation. Still true? Is this a set fee or negotiable?

Are there players on a given AHL roster that the NHL team does not supply?

(Extra credit if someone can tell me if baseball is actually the same as the scenario above, or if they supply and pay for all the players and there's no affiliation fee.)

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Are there players on a given AHL roster that the NHL team does not supply?
Yes if there are callups to the NHL or a bunch of injuries or something AHL teams can sign players out of the ECHL or wherever that they like/fit their system.

Quote:
(Extra credit if someone can tell me if baseball is actually the same as the scenario above, or if they supply and pay for all the players and there's no affiliation fee.)
I have no idea about an affiliation fee but signings in baseball are players that are drafted or the recommendations to the MLB team from scouts.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Previous reading has given me the impression that, while the NHL club supplies players (or most of the players), that the AHL team pays a fee for the affiliation. Still true?
In cases where the AHL team is not owned by their NHL affiliate, yes, still true.

Quote:
Is this a set fee or negotiable?
Negotiated between the NHL team and the AHL team, along with other details like whether coaches are hired/supplied by the AHL team or the NHL team, is my understanding. I've gotten the impression that the median or "typical" affiliation runs the AHL team on the order of a million dollars a year, but I'm sure there's wide room for variance around that approximate midpoint.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
In cases where the AHL team is not owned by their NHL affiliate, yes, still true.

Negotiated between the NHL team and the AHL team, along with other details like whether coaches are hired/supplied by the AHL team or the NHL team, is my understanding. I've gotten the impression that the median or "typical" affiliation runs the AHL team on the order of a million dollars a year, but I'm sure there's wide room for variance around that approximate midpoint.
One other thing to keep in mind is even in the franchises owned by the NHL team, not all the players are on an NHL deal. Teams still sign players to ATOs, PTOs and AHL contracts.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Quote:
The baseball minors are filled with players that are property of the Major League club and who's salaries are paid by the Major League club, unless I'm mistaken (most minor league players make very, very little). That part is a bit different than the NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL relationship where not everyone is supplied (a quick one off the top of my head - Bobby Farnham in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is contracted and paid by the Baby Penguins and has no actual affiliation to the Pittsburgh Penguins at the time being even though his paycheck is coming from the same people).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 04-06-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote