HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Flyers Time

vCash: 500
Would the Flyers offer-sheet Alex Pietrangelo?

Old
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
kevinjd182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy View Post
That Vancouver rumor was bs. If San Jose didnt bite of that deal... they are ****ing *******.
Might be the best avatar I've ever seen.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
He won't make it to RFA, and STL would match if he did.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't see why not.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
An offer-sheet for Shattenkirk would make more sense. St Louis will surely match an OS for Pietrangelo.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
rWoHockeyman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
An offer-sheet for Shattenkirk would make more sense. St Louis will surely match an OS for Pietrangelo.
Can we offer sheet both as a strategy to acquire one or the other? I feel like a few years ago the Sharks offer sheeted someone on the Blackhawks (maybe Hjalmarsson) and forced them to match and ultimately stole Niemi because they couldnt afford him.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rWoHockeyman88 View Post
Can we offer sheet both as a strategy to acquire one or the other? I feel like a few years ago the Sharks offer sheeted someone on the Blackhawks (maybe Hjalmarsson) and forced them to match and ultimately stole Niemi because they couldnt afford him.
The compensation can't overlap, so, basically, no. They can only do one at a time,

Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rWoHockeyman88 View Post
That would be the way to do it. You'd have to start with Shattenkirk at maybe something like $6 - $6.5 million, and then move to Pietrangelo with a major deal if they match, or take Shattenkirk if they don't.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 112
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 16m
As I mentioned last night, the Sharks have granted a few teams permission to speak with Clowe's agent. MIN & PHI are 2 of the teams.

This clown wants a long term deal at around $5M per year. Stay the **** away, Homer.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

I'm sure Comcast Sports Net's front office are extremely smart but how do you have your head Flyers reporter Tim Panaccio associated with Eklund and Hockey Buzz that is a joke.

It's like being a stockbroker at a large firm and working for the market is going to crash buy gold company at the same time.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 16m
As I mentioned last night, the Sharks have granted a few teams permission to speak with Clowe's agent. MIN & PHI are 2 of the teams.

This clown wants a long term deal at around $5M per year. Stay the **** away, Homer.
I'd be ok with that if it was $5 million or less. Clowe would be a solid addition to this team moving forward. That being said, I wouldn't want to trade someone like Couturier for him. I am not opposed to dealing Couturier pre se, but I would rather have someone overpay to get him, rather than us overpay to get someone using Couturier.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:56 AM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd be ok with that if it was $5 million or less. Clowe would be a solid addition to this team moving forward. That being said, I wouldn't want to trade someone like Couturier for him. I am not opposed to dealing Couturier pre se, but I would rather have someone overpay to get him, rather than us overpay to get someone using Couturier.
You think Clowe is worth $1.25M per year more than Simmonds? $.8M per more than Voracek? $.25M per more than Hartnell? This team will never be successful if we give Clowe 8% of our total salary cap AND actually trade assets for him.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Mgkibbles

I like Clowe, but I fail to see how he helps us at all.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I don't see Homer trading Couturier or our 1st rounder for Clowe if we do acquire him. I think people are just throwing out ridiculous rumors about the asking price for Clowe.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
You'd be OK with giving 5 years @ 5M to a 30 year old guy who hasn't scored a goal this season and is getting 0.39 points per game?

Well, I think I know now why you defend Holmgren so much. If you don't think Clowe getting $5M for 5 years is a terrible deal, then I doubt you think there's a bad contract anywhere on the current Flyers' roster.

Seriously though, the idea of trading an asset for Clowe and then giving him that extension to boot makes me sick.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Giroux It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
You'd be OK with giving 5 years @ 5M to a 30 year old guy who hasn't scored a goal this season and is getting 0.39 points per game?

Well, I think I know now why you defend Holmgren so much. If you don't think Clowe getting $5M for 5 years is a terrible deal, then I doubt you think there's a bad contract anywhere on the current Flyers' roster.

Seriously though, the idea of trading an asset for Clowe and then giving him that extension to boot makes me sick.
The problem is, if you can't invision Homer making a deal for Clowe and reupping him then I think your mistaken. I think the main reason this rumor has legs to stand on, is it is something a lot of us could see Homer doing (Not necessary the Coots part or 1st Rounder) but signing him to an extension for 5-7 years. I could see it and it makes me nauseous

Old
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Curufinwe

The only way signing Cl0we makes sense is if some team is ready and willing to really overpay in a trade for Simmonds.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post

That's a good point. If there is one thing we all know, it is that once a guy has a bad season, he will never have another good one for the rest of his career. Especially when he is already (gasp) 30. Especially when that bad seasons is a shortened season on one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL. Let me guess, you want to trade Hartnell because his 20 games this season haven't been good.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Larry44

My biggest problem with going after Clowe is that Tye McGinn is probably better than Clowe right now. We don't need Clowe at all, we need DDDDDDD.....

Old
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

Quote:
That's a good point. If there is one thing we all know, it is that once a guy has a bad season, he will never have another good one for the rest of his career. Especially when he is already (gasp) 30. Especially when that bad seasons is a shortened season on one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL. Let me guess, you want to trade Hartnell because his 20 games this season haven't been good.
Clowe has never been more than an average second liner, and that's in his best years. Overpaying for players like that will kill you in today's NHL.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Clowe has never been more than an average second liner, and that's in his best years. Overpaying for players like that will kill you in today's NHL.
I wholeheartedly disagree with that. When this guy is on his game, there are few in the league that bring what he brings. Big, physical, 50-60 point guy, who can throw em with just about anyone in the league.

Having said that he's having a dismal season and I wouldn't give up much for him if he's a rental- definitely wouldn't give up this year's first.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Brophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Clowe has a NTC. He could have voided the deal unless he got the extension
Well thats good news.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
You think Clowe is worth $1.25M per year more than Simmonds? $.8M per more than Voracek? $.25M per more than Hartnell? This team will never be successful if we give Clowe 8% of our total salary cap AND actually trade assets for him.
Simmonds, yes. Voracek, no. Hartnell I'd say is on the same level as Clowe so the $25k more for Clowe is not an issue. Also, Simmonds and Voracek are on RFA deals, that is a completely different situation. If you want a guy who is going to score 50 points a year and is a UFA, the rate is going to be around $5 million. If Clowe was an RFA on this team, yes he would probably get less from the Flyers. But he is a UFA, which means he is going to get more money. When Simmonds and Voracek are UFA, they will probably get around the same. If you want a big, physical winger who will drop 50 or so points a season (which I assume we all do), you are going to have to pay for him. I know, I know, let Ben Holmstrom develop a couple more years and maybe he will be that guy!

EDIT: Again, I am not saying trade everything we have for this guy. I am saying that if he can be had for cheap, a hypothetical 5 year $25 million deal would be fine with me. Trading Couturier straight up and signing him for $6 million, is not.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:55 AM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Seriously, how many power forwards does this team need? We've got two of the best in Simmonds and Hartnell not to mention an up and comer in Tye McGinn. The ONLY reason I am even guessing he is pursuing him is because he plans on trading one of Simmonds or Hartnell (which I would not be in favor of). That's the only way I see this making sense.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

Or Read (not a pw forward, but a forward).

... and you should be well-pleased with having a lot of power forwards.

Closed Thread