HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Lucic to Edmonton

Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
a lot of people posting here continue to ignore Boston's cap issues looming for next season. Wirh Savard going to the LTIR again, Boston has 54 million committed to 16 signed players.

Not signed is either goalie, a top 6 winger... a top 9 winger... a bottom pair dman... and 2 or 3 guys to sit in the pressbox.

Rask will be commanding at least 5 million to sign a long term deal with the team which is going to leave around 5 mill to get the other 5 spots plugged with NHL caliber players.

This already means that there is NO CHANCE Horton can come back. There is NO CHANCE Ference can come back. The cap is impossible even before we bring these guys back. So someone making money is going to have to go... and does it make more sense to do it right now when everyone's eyes are as big as saucers or wait until next off season when there will be even more teams struggling to be cap compliant?

I like a kid like Yakupov short term for Boston because he is on an ELC and his bonus money is a 'soft cap hit.' Hemsky doesn't wow me as much because his cap hit is too much for what he brings to the table... but it is still less than Lucic. Hemsky/Yakupov fit into the same cap hole that Lucic occupies by himself.

Boston could still afford to do a 'rental' for Clowe if they felt they were getting too soft after this trade but the trade has an eye on next season just as much as this year.

I think its a certainity that guys like Peverly/Kelly/Boychcuk are going to have to be looked at for moves because we simply are going to be too expensive to keep everyone and still plug all the necessary holes.

Edmonton meanwhile MUST turn things around almost immediately cause they want to build a new arena that is short 100 million dollars in financing and the fan base will absolutely revolt if the team doesn't turn things around next year. This season, the talk shows have been full of fans wanting to deal off Hopkins or Hall when they've struggled... fire the coach... fire the gm... meanwhile all the trade gagner/hemsky/horcorff calls go away the second these guys score a few points...

patience in Edmonton is done. its totally become a show me the results city...

Lucic represents a bit time move for Edmonton... right or wrong, the GM needs to make a bigtime move to show the fan base that at least he is trying. at least the team is trying.

Hopkins/Eberle have convinced me that they have chemistry... they represent the makings of a fine top line. Hall is easily the type of guy you can build a second scoring line around. So the question for Edmonton is does Yakupov compliment one of these two lines better than Lucic does? I know Hemsky sure doesn't...

If Gagner is going to stick around I suggest he will end up at LW and Hall will end up at C. Maybe that will work? Maybe it wont... but that means the team needs a LW that can play good with Hopkins/Eberle and a RW that can play good with Gagner/Hall.

I suggest that Lucic is the LW that would look great with Hopkins/Eberle... and once Lucic is in place, Edmonton should go to his buddy Horton in UFA and sign him to play with Hall/Gagner. Suddenly all of Edmonton's perceived 'size' problems are very nicely dealt with.

Long term Lucic/Horton will have around the same cap hit as Yakupov/Hemsky. They just fit the team better

I did propose that Ference come over too... and people seem to totally be glossing over how beneficial that will be for Edmonton. Ference reeks of leadership and character. He is one of the best spoken professionals in the league. For a young team this is very important. It doesn't really matter if Horcorff or Schultz are leaders or not cause they are career LOOSERS. You don't want your leaders on the team to have no success in their careers. When your leader is speaking you want everyone to know they are listening to a guy that's won a cup before and knows what the hell he is talking about.

Ference is from the area and would very likedly look forward to not moving his family around as he winds down his career. You can slot him into the 5/6 role for years to come and let his leadership rub off on whatever young partner they stick him with.

Edmonton doesn't have a Chara or a Seidenberg to play the aging vet... Boston does. Ference is a luxery no longer affordable in Boston due to the coming cap crunch. Whitney isn't going to be affordable either. I am proposing a Ference for Whitney exchange to sweeten this deal for Edmonton.

Whiteny has been a healthy scratch as often as not for Edmonton... playing behind a couple of AHL guys on the depth chart. His trade value right now is nil. Sorry. On the other hand he has managed to score a few points in recent games so he probably would play in Boston's top 6 if picked up too cause our D depth sucks.

If I was Boston Id make a second move to get someone better than Whitney and put him in the pressbox for the playoff run. Whitney has almost zero value to me in a trade.

If Edmonton fans thought Whiteny was > than Ference than I say they are delusional to begin with... but I gladly keep Ference if I have a choice.

Trust me that a real NHL GM and real pro scouts would much rather have Ference... and especially if Ference was willing to sign an extension to finish his career in Edmonton. IMHO there is ZERO CHANCE Whiteny {an American kid} would be willing to resign in Edmonton after how crappy his last 2 years have been with the team.

After next season... I cant possibly imagine Hemsky staying either. Not unless he has developed chemistry with Hall by that time. Hemsky isn't going to want to stick around as a third line guy... his ego is too great for that.

This trade proposal does boil down to Yakupov for Lucic. I think the other pieces make sense for the team's involved. To me Lucic is a proven 30 goal talent with room to improve that also has the physical ability to change playoff series. Yakupov probably will be a better goal scorer over the next 5-6 years but potentally is a defensive liability and maybe a questionable 'character' hotdog type player too.

Boston has very very strong team leadership. It be willing to roll the dice on Yakupov that we can teach him better defensive habits and teach him how to be a 'winner.'

Anyhow... cap issues are a real concern here and I try to address them for both teams. Maybe the cap will go up a lot in a couple years but I don't see it going up much next year at all. The league has already said that revenues are not meeting expectations this year.

I think my Bruins will sign Soderberg and I hope he will be around 2 mill or less... he can make one of Kelly/Peverly expendable... and I guess Spooner will be ready for the NHL next year.

Seguin/Bergeron/Marchand is an 18 min per night line that dominates almost anyone they line up against...

I think Hemsky/Krecji could hold up well against most second line matchups they draw... one of Spooner or Soderberg would probably draw duty as their third member the way things are shaping up.

Yakupov would be the key member of the new third line I guess until Hemsky moves on and Yakupov moves up the depth chart. One of Kelly/Peverly would need to be dumped for salary reasons... and then the other one Spooner/Soderberg would round out the top 9.

There is a lot of unproven youth in this top 9 now... a lot less grit... its a huge gamble for Boston but its about the best we could afford.

Luckily the team would still have Chara/McQuaid/Thornton/Campbell for grit and that would be enough to get us through the regular season... more grit can be picked up at next seasons deadline if necessary. Maybe Caron or Knight would factor in too if we were lucky enough

The cap is a reality... Lucic is a great player but he carries a huge cap hit now. He might be the guy we should move and if we do... Edmonton is a team that needs this guy as much as anyone in the league needs him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
you dedicated way too much time to all that

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Oates2Neely

Fan overreaction... Lucic will go nowhere. He is here for a while, and once he picks up his game fans will dance in the streets and rejoice. When Lucic is 'on', he is an unstoppable force. Just reference the 3rd period of Sundays game vs Buffalo.

There arent many players in the NHL who play a power forward game like Lucic and can score 25+ goals. He hits, he fights, he creates room for his linemates, he intimidates opposing dmen so much so that we often see them turn the puck over when they fell #17 bearing down on them. Now i'm failry confident Yakupov will grow into a fine sniper (similar to Kessel perhaps), but I'll take 10 less goals per season, his physical presence more than makes up for it IMO. There arent many players in the NHL that I would trade Lucic for in a straight swap. Hemsky and Yakupov definitely dont hold the value.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
jmoss45

I honestly have doubts the Oil can afford Lucic's new deal, even if they were to move Hemsky.

13/14- Top 9 forwards= over 41 mil & cap at 64
Hall (6)-nuge (3.75)-Eberle(6)
Lucic (6) - Gagner (likely 5)- Nail (3.75)
MPS (like 3)- Horcoff (5.5)- Smyth (2.25)

14/15- Top 6 forwards= 33.75
Hall (6)-nuge (6)-Eberle(6)

But good god would that make for a wicked top 6 and a pretty nice top 9 as well.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I honestly have doubts the Oil can afford Lucic's new deal, even if they were to move Hemsky.

13/14- Top 9 forwards= over 41 mil & cap at 64
Hall (6)-nuge (3.75)-Eberle(6)
MPS (like 3)- Horcoff (5.5)- Smyth (2.25)

14/15- Top 6 forwards= 33.75
Hall (6)-nuge (6)-Eberle(6)

But good god would that make for a wicked top 6 and a pretty nice top 9 as well.
So exactly WHO would Edmonton be trading for Lucic in your above scenario?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Bmessy

You guys would love Lucic making room for Eberle and the sort. When he decides to show up. In terms of his value for a trade I don't even know, the skill set he CAN bring is awesome. But he definitely does not bring it all the time.

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
a lot of people posting here continue to ignore Boston's cap issues looming for next season ...
Do you mean people who want to trade Hemsky ($5M next season) to the Bruins?

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
So exactly WHO would Edmonton be trading for Lucic in your above scenario?
Either Hemsky+ to Boston or maybe something like:

To Columbus:
Hemsky+2nd

To Edm:
Lucic

To Bos:
2013 1st, Dubinsky, Whitney

Old
04-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Either Hemsky+ to Boston or maybe something like:

To Columbus:
Hemsky+2nd

To Edm:
Lucic

To Bos:
2013 1st, Dubinsky, Whitney
Please stop. Just stop. Whitney has ZERO value, thats before even mentioning that he's a UFA. So essentially Boston trades Lucic for Dubinksy and a mid 1st round pick?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
nmbr_24

I am not a fan of these type of proposals. Lucic would get a huge return, and not that the Oilers would do it, but it would take one of their big 4, no question about it. There would be no reason for Boston to make that trade if it didn't include one of those guys.

As far as Boston's cap space and the concerns about the lack of it, well, you don't move a Lucic type of player, you move any of Campbell, Peverley, Kelly, Paille to make cap space.

The Bruins have some good forward prospects and a few of them seem like they could be ready to play in the NHL next year. Knight, Spooner, Khokhlachev, Soderberg, all look like they could make the team with a pretty low salary.

Edmonton probably isn't going to be looking to trade any of their big 4 right now, they probably won't be looking to trade their pick, and even though they are close to making the playoffs they could add another good prospect or pick if they were to deal Hemsky and Whitney.

The Oilers best is ahead of them, they don't need to make a move like this right now, they are getting better and I am of the opinion that if they stay the course and try to sign the best UFAs that they can, next year would be the time where they can start making hockey trades and still have the big 4.

It just doesn't make sense to me for either team.

Last edited by nmbr_24: 04-02-2013 at 11:24 AM.
nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:22 AM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not a fan of these type of proposals. Lucic would get a huge return, and not that the Oilers would do it, but it would take one of their big 4, no question about it. There would be no reason for Boston to make that trade if it didn't include one of those guys.

As far as Boston's cap space and the concerns about the lack of it, well, you don't move a Lucic type of player, you move any of Campbell, Peverley, Kelly, Paille to make cap space.

The Bruins have some good forward prospects and a few of them seem like they could be ready to play in the NHL next year. Knight, Spooner, Khokhlachev, Soderberg, all look like they could make the team with a pretty low salary.

Edmonton probably isn't going to be looking to trade any of their big 4 right now, they probably won't be looking to trade their pick, and even though they are close to making the playoffs they could add another good prospect or pick if they were to deal Hemsky and Whitney.

The Oilers best is ahead of them, they don't need to make a move like this right now, they are getting better and I am of the opinion that if they stay the course and try to sign the best UFAs that they can, next year would be the time where they can start making hockey trades and still have a very the big 4.

It just doesn't make sense to me for either team.
Very true. In reality the Oil are in a cap crunch for next season anyway, so it would be tough to fit Lucic in. And if Lucic were offered, he would likely garner a better return from another team.

I was spitballing, because adding Lucic would give the Oilers the best top 6 in the league (sorry Syd). Too bad you had to ruin it with your rationality and common sense.