HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Ongoing Iginla discussion | RDS: Prefers to sign extension with Penguins (post #22)

Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
AltDess

vCash: 500
Consider that the agent is always concerned about identifying the worst case scenario and attempts to align his cards to meet that challenge.
In this instance the worst case could possibly be a bad playoff or early playoff exit and his client's stock dropping.

Therefore the agent could be setting up a defense against the worst case possibility by putting out word now that his client plans on re-signing, hopefully raising the price for any potential suitors later in free agency.

"....well GM Skippy, as I'm sure you've heard for a few months now Jerome has said he is really happy here and prefers to stay, however he is open to listening but I'll tell you upfront it will take a very good offer to pry him away from a team he really likes..."

The agent must look down the road at the next checkpoint in his clients career (in this case free agency) and set the table for success in any negotiations.

When it comes to the Pens his past accomplishments and future playoff success will set the price.

AltDess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
That basically bumps Kunitz or Orpik from the lineup the next season though, due to Letang's impending raise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I think Orpik will be bumped regardless.
I think Orpik gets traded this year, after the season, and hopefully before the draft:

- it maximizes the value of the asset, since he will have A LOT of value with a year still on his deal -- which will be awesome for us to recoup some picks. Also allows Despres to move into the top-4 permanently, and gives us that money to spread around to Dupuis, and also to extend Kunitz who may need a $500k bump or so.

- my line-up is the same as what Captain Hook proposed but without Orpik, Dupers at closer to $2.5, Iginla closer to $4.5, one of Dumoulin or Harrington in on defense, and Eaton as an inexpensive #7. Cooke is retained over Morrow (and for less money), and TK gets traded at the draft for picks/prospects.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Re: Pencils in the locker..

When asked about them he'll always say ''Personal.''

But he didn't bring him here. He left them in Calgary with a teammate. Soo.. who knows?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltDess View Post
Consider that the agent is always concerned about identifying the worst case scenario and attempts to align his cards to meet that challenge.
In this instance the worst case could possibly be a bad playoff or early playoff exit and his client's stock dropping.

Therefore the agent could be setting up a defense against the worst case possibility by putting out word now that his client plans on re-signing, hopefully raising the price for any potential suitors later in free agency.

"....well GM Skippy, as I'm sure you've heard for a few months now Jerome has said he is really happy here and prefers to stay, however he is open to listening but I'll tell you upfront it will take a very good offer to pry him away from a team he really likes..."

The agent must look down the road at the next checkpoint in his clients career (in this case free agency) and set the table for success in any negotiations.

When it comes to the Pens his past accomplishments and future playoff success will set the price.
I do not buy it. If Iginla was all about the money he would have stayed in Calgary who would have given him a blank check. As was pointed out earlier he has made over $70 million so far in his career. Now it is about winning and the best fit for him. Lucky for us he obviously thinks that we are it. I see $5 million per for 4 years as fair, but could see him taking a million less to keep the team more intact much like Crosby did. I might be wrong, but have a hunch that I am right. In any event I do not see these comments as a ploy to squeeze more dollars out by his agent. They are what they seem on the surface.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Sidney the Kidney
3-peat

Sign him, Ray. If that means letting some of our "depth" guys go to make a bit of room (ie. Cooke, Kennedy, Glass), then do so.

You re-signed Bill Guerin even though he was on his last legs. Iginla's nowhere near Guerin's decline, so do it. It'll make my summer.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
As for Iginla's salary I'd have to think he's at least getting 5, and probably closer to 6. A good comparison would be Shane Doan's contract which is 5.3 million/yr.
Doan signed with Phoenix, the team where he played considerable part of his lifetime. Phoenix doesn't have players of Sid's Geno's caliber.
Had Iggy stayed in Calgary he would have been given 6, it's no-brainer.
But not in Pittsburgh. Even 5 mln/ye it's too much because of the cap. Jarome knows that. He came here not for money. 4 is more realistic

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Doan signed with Phoenix, the team where he played considerable part of his lifetime. Phoenix doesn't have players of Sid's Geno's caliber.
Had Iggy stayed in Calgary he would have been given 6, it's no-brainer.
But not in Pittsburgh. Even 5 mln/ye it's too much because of the cap. Jarome knows that. He came here not for money. 4 is more realistic
5 is doable with the Pens cap structure next year, next season it goes down, but it also goes back up the following year. With the way the NHL is raking in money even in a shortened season, I see that number getting close to what the cap is this year. 5m for a guy of Jarome's caliber is more than worth it, even 5.5m.

A cap casualty would be Tanner Glass after this season. Which would suck for him, but I am sure he wouldn't be hard to trade, a lot of teams would love to have a physical guy in their bottom 4.

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 04-02-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
5 is doable with the Pens cap structure next year, next season it goes down, but it also goes back up the following year. With the way the NHL is raking in money even in a shortened season, I see that number getting close to what the cap is this year. 5m for a guy of Jarome's caliber is more than worth it, even 5.5m.
Oh I know it is. And if push came to shove the Pens would sign him for 5m I think. That said, he reminds me a lot of Crosby and might let a little bit slide to enable them to resign, say, a Kunitz or Dupuis, instead of having to let them walk. The Pens still remain short on wings. Defense is fine with players like Despres who can step up to the NHL if we lose an Orpik. But that million could be the difference in keeping one of those wings or some depth.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:32 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Oh I know it is. And if push came to shove the Pens would sign him for 5m I think. That said, he reminds me a lot of Crosby and might let a little bit slide to enable them to resign, say, a Kunitz or Dupuis, instead of having to let them walk. The Pens still remain short on wings. Defense is fine with players like Despres who can step up to the NHL if we lose an Orpik. But that million could be the difference in keeping one of those wings or some depth.
I think Jarome would be aiming for the term not the amount. At his age, he probably doesn't want to negotiate a new contract in his late 30's.

4.5m/yr for 5yrs. 4.5m is what Selanne makes and has been making the last 3yrs or so (4m, 4.5m, 4.5m his last 3 years).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.500m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.250m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,513,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $786,667

Old
04-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I think Jarome would be aiming for the term not the amount. At his age, he probably doesn't want to negotiate a new contract in his late 30's.

4.5m/yr for 5yrs. 4.5m is what Selanne makes and has been making the last 3yrs or so (4m, 4.5m, 4.5m his last 3 years).

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
I still think 4 years. He has explicitly said that he wants to play 5 years, and the thinking is that he ends his career in Calgary. Making 4 years here, final year in Calgary. I also think that they buy out Glass, though that would not save them all that much.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:18 AM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
"Flaming C" has got to be the worst nickname for a logo ever.
There's got to be a better way to say that...

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:22 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...He_BVY_9c#t=6s
Thought the exact same thing.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:24 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...He_BVY_9c#t=6s
Out of context, you blowhard.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:10 AM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Out of context, you blowhard.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Honour Over Glory

I don't see him returning to the Flames to play out 1 year to retire. Not even Ray Bourque did that.

I think the team he signs his next contract with, is the team he retires with. maybe he does what Guerin did and Tom Barrasso, sign the 1 day contract to retire with the Penguins. I could see Iginla doing that with Calgary when his playing days are done, just so he can say he retired with the Flames. In any case, I see Ray Shero giving him the 4-5yrs. I mean Billy G played until he was 39 (skating kept regressing, or he probably could have played until 40). Iginla is a guy that is in better shape and a more skilled player. He could be a solid player until he is 40.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Zbynek

Still can't believe Jarome ****ing Iginla plays for the Pens.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Another comparison to keep in mind is Marty St.Louis' 3 years at 5.625 mil per. He's produced better than Iggy has the last couple years, but he's also had a much, much better supporting cast.

Either way, somewhere between 5.5 and 6 mil per on a 3-4 year deal for Iggy seems reasonable given the comparables.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Master Shake*

Orpik is not going anywhere. Dont you guys pay attention to Shero and Bylsma? He shows no signs of slowing or declining skills. Orpik will retire here in a few years.

All we have to do is get through next season and the cap will probably rise and give us plenty of breathing room.

The guys most likely to be cap casualties are Kennedy, Martin, Glass, and maybe Vokoun(if fleury shines in the playoffs and we are tight on cap space)

Cooke will have to take a cut.

We can probably squeeze in Morrow at 2 mill and Iginla at 5 mill

Master Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

can someone give me an example or two of guys playing most of their careers with a franchise with little to no success, leaving for greener pastures and then actually going back to retire with the original franchise? Its a great story, but does it ever actually happen?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
can someone give me an example or two of guys playing most of their careers with a franchise with little to no success, leaving for greener pastures and then actually going back to retire with the original franchise? Its a great story, but does it ever actually happen?
Good question. I'm amazed by
how many people just automatically assume he returns to Calgary in the near future. Calgary is not going to be competitive for quite some time. To me that ship has sailed. Maybe he goes back if he wins a cup elsewhere but you'd think that once he won the cup he'd want to win it again.

He's done in Calgary.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Another comparison to keep in mind is Marty St.Louis' 3 years at 5.625 mil per. He's produced better than Iggy has the last couple years, but he's also had a much, much better supporting cast.

Either way, somewhere between 5.5 and 6 mil per on a 3-4 year deal for Iggy seems reasonable given the comparables.
Agreed. MSL and Iggy will be elite players for many more years. I don't think people fully understand just how bad his supporting cast has been there. This year, he had the look of a guy who was frustrated that his team hasn't made it closer to playoff hockey, and it was time to move on. Playing on a Cup contender with the two best players in the world in their prime years is going to turn back the clock for Iggy IMO.

Shero's the GM to get it done. He's enough of a hardass to part ways with vets like Orpik and Cooke to make room for him. We saw it with Malone when he made Hossa his priority in 08.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
I have a very similar line-up, but without Orpik and with Adams over Glass, and here's why:

- you still need room for a 13th and either 14th forward or #8 Dman, and the cap spac you allotted doesn't allow for that

- Adams is better than Glass, and for half the price. Adams is actually a GREAT PKer, whereas Glass is only adequate and is easily replaceable in that regard. Even if Adams didn't ply regularly, he's a great #13

- Glass blows and is overpaid. I think we all agree on that, but just wanted to say it again anyway

- Orpik is nice to have, no doubt, but it's time for Despres, Bortuzzo and Engo to take those next steps as big-time NHL regulars. And we'll have Harrington and Dumoulin ready to jump in as needed.

- I have Eaton re-signed at about the same salary as depth 7th/8th Dman

Feel like posting that version of the line-up for us to see?

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

The way Capgeek works, you can't remove Orpik and Glass from the roster in 2013-2014. Here's the roster:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($2.200m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.250m)
Craig Adams ($0.750m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.650m)
Mark Eaton ($0.725m) /
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buried: Tanner Glass ($0.175m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,035,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $735,833

And if you do the math, they would have ~3.2MM in cap space. That 3.2MM would have to go to 1) 13th forward 2) 7th Dman 3) Pascal Dupuis will likely want at least 2.5. I gave slight raises to both Cooke and Dupuis.

I think Shero is going to let Cooke walk and try to re-sign Morrow, but I wanted to keep true to what you wanted.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I have a very similar line-up, but without Orpik and with Adams over Glass, and here's why:

- you still need room for a 13th and either 14th forward or #8 Dman, and the cap spac you allotted doesn't allow for that

- Adams is better than Glass, and for half the price. Adams is actually a GREAT PKer, whereas Glass is only adequate and is easily replaceable in that regard. Even if Adams didn't ply regularly, he's a great #13

- Glass blows and is overpaid. I think we all agree on that, but just wanted to say it again anyway

- Orpik is nice to have, no doubt, but it's time for Despres, Bortuzzo and Engo to take those next steps as big-time NHL regulars. And we'll have Harrington and Dumoulin ready to jump in as needed.

- I have Eaton re-signed at about the same salary as depth 7th/8th Dman

Feel like posting that version of the line-up for us to see?
I like your version

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Kovifan27

-Orpik could be traded for cap room. Would allow a big return in the summer if we made it to the finals.

-Shero brought Glass in for a reason. No way he waives/trades him. Not happening. I'd be shocked.

-Going off the Pens make it to the finals scenario someone will offer Eaton a stupid contract if he is a part of the D. He's as good as gone imo.

-TK having a good postseason would be a godsend. As long as we trade him. I hope he doesn't push another level and Shero says he's so close to breaking out. We could live w/o him easily.

-Duper is rooted in Pitt and took a discount the first time. As long as he feels its fair and not a crazy discount he will stay.

-If a couple of those things happen Iggy at 5 is fair for everyone.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote