HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New hockey fan

Old
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
You're a Ducks fan, right?

Ok repeat after me, "Screw. The. LA. Kings."

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Can you share that with your fellow Ducks fans when you go to the games? I've personally had them try to tell me on more than one occasion that a snow shower on the goalie was icing.

lol...i hope thats a joke

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
uh-oh...by the look of it this thread is going to turn into 30 fan bases courting you for your fandom
Wouldn't wish NYR fandom on my worst enemy.

04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Always?
every sport i watch i always appreciated the better defensive teams

IdolYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
You can follow my team if you want. The 2nd best GAA (Goals Against Average) in the league but they also have one of the best offenses in the league as well. Lots of superstar players, fantastic jerseys, lots of history, and great fans!

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/

Go Hawks!

Or the Sens with the best GAA in the league. We also have the best young defence men in the league, who is the youngest Norris trophy winner (best defence man of the year) since Bobby Orr (undisputed best defence man ever). One of the best goaltending prospects, and despite being in year 2 of a 3 year rebuild (and being in the toughest division) are currently in a tie for 6th overall in the league.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdolYell View Post
Are you a fan of football and if so which team?

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 492
Welcome

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jedgi

Personally I will always be a fan of the team closest to my hometown. If I wasn't though, I'd pick to like the Blue Jackets. They have a lot of young talent and 3 first round picks this-coming year. I haven't ever seen one of my favorite teams win a championship, but I believe it would be much more rewarding than randomly picking the current best team (Pitt or Chicago).

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Are you a fan of football and if so which team?
im a miami dolphins fan, i became a fan a few years ago because of jason taylor

Old
Loyal2TheOil

where do you live? are there any teams that play close to where you live? that would help in terms of watching them on tv.

or you could pick the worst team in the league and cheer for them and then when they finally become good it will be so much more satisfying since you were there for the hard times. or you could pick a team from the top of the standings and create a bond through winning.

whoever you decide to cheer for, you should definitely go to a game. the tv does not do hockey justice. its the fastest game in the world for a reason. the closer you are to the ice, the more you will appreciate how difficult it is to make those plays that look so easy on tv and have you screaming "that guy was wide open!"

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
You'll like the Penguins then.

3 shut-outs in a row and something like 9 goals they've let in their last 10 home games.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1050
Penalties: The majority of penalties are for two minutes, such as tripping, hooking, slashing, etc. When a player commits a penalty, the offending player goes into the penalty box for however long the penalty is and their team can't replace him, so they will be playing 4 on 5 (excluding the goaltenders). This is called a Power Play (or PP) for the team who didn't commit the penalty. If the team on the PP scores, the offending player would be allowed to come out of the box in advance of the two minutes.

Double-Minor Penalties: Most of the time there is a double-minor penalty, it is on a high-sticking penalty. On high-sticking calls, it's usually when a player "draws blood." The offending player will go to the box for four minutes instead of two. If a player scores on the PP within the first two minutes of the four minute PP, it will drop down to two minutes left on the PP instead of having the PP end right away.

Five Minute Penalties: This occurs on dangerous plays, such as some boarding calls, hits to the head, spearing, etc. Teams on a five minute PP could score as much as they want while on the PP, since the penalty expires ONLY after the five minutes.

Fighting: Obviously fighting is allowed, but if you haven't noticed, both teams still skate five on five instead of both players not being allowed to be replaced.

All PPs begin with a faceoff in the offending team's zone, even if the penalty occurred on the opposite side of the rink.

Offside: First off, notice there is no 's' after "offside." For a play to not be offside, the puck has to enter the offensive zone (side of the rink with the opposing goalie, starting at the blue line) before any attacking player enters. If the puck leaves the zone, all attacking players would have to leave as well, unless a player on the other team brings or passes the puck back in while there is an attacking player.

Icing: When players want to make a line change, they don't want to do it if the puck is on their end of the ice. What they should do is skate to the the red line (in the center of the rink) and once the puck crosses the red line, they could shoot the puck as far down as they could to make the change. If they shoot the puck down and it crosses the goal line, it would be called icing once a skater (anyone but the goalie) on the opposing team touches the puck (after it crosses the goal line). If an icing is called, the offending team cannot make a line change until after the next faceoff. Icing calls are delayed because it would be waived off if a player on the offending team touches the puck first or if the puck could easily be played by the opposite team before it crosses the goal line.

I think you're ready for now.

A few more things:

If the puck is somehow in the air, players could use their hands to have it drop to the ice, but they cannot swing their arms to have the puck go in another direction, or to pass the puck with their hand. They also could use their stick to drop the puck to the ice, but the stick cannot go above the player's shoulders.

Goals could be scored off any part of the body, except the hands, I believe. You just aren't allowed to kick the puck into the net with "a distinct kicking motion." The reason I have that in quotes is because this is probably the most misunderstood rule by everyone and results in blown calls. Players are allowed to deflect pucks in the air with their sticks to score, but unlike how you can't have your stick over your shoulders, when it comes to scoring, the contact between the puck and the stick can't be above the crossbar.

Last edited by Kane One: 04-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Play NHL 13 with updated rosters. It'll give you a better idea of who the decent players around the league are, what the rules are, what the schedule is like, how FA/contracts work, etc...

Then come here and you'll get a pretty good idea.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Zombotron
Fuddle Your Duddle

Quote:
Los Angeles/St. Louis/Boston, maybe?

Zombotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
im a miami dolphins fan, i became a fan a few years ago because of jason taylor
Poor you
But, you could always support the Lightning or Panthers, considering they're Florida teams.
Neither are particularly good, but Tampa has Stamkos soooo

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Penalties: The majority of penalties are for two minutes, such as tripping, hooking, slashing, etc. When a player commits a penalty, the offending player goes into the penalty box for however long the penalty is and their team can't replace him, so they will be playing 4 on 5 (excluding the goaltenders). This is called a Power Play (or PP) for the team who didn't commit the penalty. If the team on the PP scores, the offending player would be allowed to come out of the box in advance of the two minutes.

Double-Minor Penalties: Most of the time there is a double-minor penalty, it is on a high-sticking penalty. On high-sticking calls, it's usually when a player "draws blood." The offending player will go to the box for four minutes instead of two. If a player scores on the PP within the first two minutes of the four minute PP, it will drop down to two minutes left on the PP instead of having the PP end right away.

Five Minute Penalties: This occurs on dangerous plays, such as some boarding calls, hits to the head, spearing, etc. Teams on a five minute PP could score as much as they want while on the PP, since the penalty expires ONLY after the five minutes.

Fighting: Obviously fighting is allowed, but if you haven't noticed, both teams still skate five on five instead of both players not being allowed to be replaced.

All PPs begin with a faceoff in the offending team's zone, even if the penalty occurred on the opposite side of the rink.

Offside: First off, notice there is no 's' after "offside." For a play to not be offside, the puck has to enter the offensive zone (side of the rink with the opposing goalie, starting at the blue line) before any attacking player enters. If the puck leaves the zone, all attacking players would have to leave as well, unless a player on the other team brings or passes the puck back in while there is an attacking player.

Icing: When players want to make a line change, they don't want to do it if the puck is on their end of the ice. What they should do is skate to the the red line (in the center of the rink) and once the puck crosses the red line, they could shoot the puck as far down as they could to make the change. If they shoot the puck down and it crosses the goal line, it would be called icing once a skater (anyone but the goalie) on the opposing team touches the puck (after it crosses the goal line). If an icing is called, the offending team cannot make a line change until after the next faceoff. Icing calls are delayed because it would be waived off if a player on the offending team touches the puck first or if the puck could easily be played by the opposite team before it crosses the goal line.

I think you're ready for now.
Thanks man this helps alot appreciate it

Old
04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Try and follow the puck, at first. If you follow the puck, you follow the play. The rest will come.

It just kind of comes to you - that's what happened for me.
From teaching the game to others, this seems to be hardest thing for new fans to pick up. They don't know where the puck is. As you start to pick that up, the rest of the game will make more and more sense.

Since many of us have been watching for so long, it comes instinctively because we know the game and know (to an extent) where the puck will be going. A tip for this would be to also pay attention to the players' reactions, as it will help you understand where the puck is even if you've lost sight of it. It's similar to baseball (if you are a fan) and as soon as the ball is cracked off the bat to the outfield, fans are cheering and hoping for a home run. More seasoned fans pay attention to the outfielders and you see their break and angle for the ball to understand how hard it is hit and where it is going. This is the same concept, although hockey is much much faster.

Another huge tip is to go put on skates and mess around for a bit. You'll learn subtleties about shifting weight, momentum, positioning, etc. Even plays like lifting the puck on the backhand will make more sense to you when you realize how difficult it is to do, especially with any kind of power when you are essentially flat-footed.

Good luck

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Also read/watch videos about the ducks history.

StreetSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Poor you
But, you could always support the Lightning or Panthers, considering they're Florida teams.
Neither are particularly good, but Tampa has Stamkos soooo
i tried to like the lightning when i 1st started watching but i couldn't do it lol. And yea the dolphins break my heart every year but i keep coming back haha

Old
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
SB164

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
You'll like the Penguins then.

3 shut-outs in a row and something like 9 goals they've let in their last 10 home games.
For a crash course on NHL Defense and Goaltending 101, make sure to watch a Penguins vs Flyers game.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:31 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Play NHL 13 with updated rosters. It'll give you a better idea of who the decent players around the league are, what the rules are, what the schedule is like, how FA/contracts work, etc...

Then come here and you'll get a pretty good idea.
FA/contracts? Only down to the bare basics.

For rosters, NHL 13 is fine. There are plenty of misleading ratings, though, and it really isn't a good "on-ice" indication.

If you want to learn about the more complicated parts of hockey, this is a good board to do it on (for the most part ).

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
For a crash course on NHL Defense and Goaltending 101, make sure to watch a Pittsburgh - Philadelphia game
You know, it might actually be helpful if you don't say ridiculously sarcastic statements to a new fan without being obvious in your sarcasm. We can't see your tone though text, not sure if you are aware.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
i tried to like the lightning when i 1st started watching but i couldn't do it lol. And yea the dolphins break my heart every year but i keep coming back haha
I'm a Jags fan, I know the feeling, haha.
But yeah, obvious answer here is Minnesota. We're good right now, have a killer roster, etc.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thanks man this helps alot appreciate it
No problem. I added two more points at the end of that post, so you should check it out. Also, to clarify an icing, it's when a player shoots the puck down from behind the red line.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Just to clarify the term "five-hole" that you will hear a lot, it's the open space between the goalie's legs, not anything sexual.