HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New hockey fan

Old
04-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
FA Frenzy. He cant sign till July 1st anyway

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
IdolYell
Rookie User

Thanks for all the info fellas, really helped my understanding of the game

IdolYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
go play hockey. they say the easiest way to learn something is by doing it.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Poor you
But, you could always support the Lightning or Panthers, considering they're Florida teams.
Neither are particularly good, but Tampa has Stamkos soooo
Why poor him? The Dolphins are actually rebuilding quite well. Mike Wallace should help Tannehill alot this season and Tannehill looks like he could become a stud QB.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Just to clarify the term "five-hole" that you will hear a lot, it's the open space between the goalie's legs, not anything sexual.
Depends on what's passing through it, no?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Also read/watch videos about the ducks history.
There are 3 documentaries on it made by the Walt Disney company. Fascinating stuff.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Can you share that with your fellow Ducks fans when you go to the games? I've personally had them try to tell me on more than one occasion that a snow shower on the goalie was icing.

Maybe if you're asking a 9 year old girl or some Newport Beach housewife... and hey, I'm sure they're are a lot of people at Kings games who don't know the rules either.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Thunderfest
1995 | 2000 | 2003

My advice to a very new fan is to go see some hockey in person - but not an NHL game. Go to a high school/college/junior game and get right up against the glass. Watch the skating, watch the passing. It won't be the highest skill level, but you'll start to get a feel for the general mechanics of how the game works. Don't get distracted by cheering. Watch what the players without the puck do.

Thunderfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Learn a little about the game's history and the great players and teams of the past. . . not saying you have to be a historian, but don't be one of these guys on here that thinks the NHL started in 2002.

Believe me, it'll add a lot of depth and colour to the games you're watching now. Plus, ex-player biographies is a great way to learn about certain aspects of the game, which you can then watch for in an actual game.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
SidKadri*

Watch the Leafs.

You'll learn the game the right way.

SidKadri* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Learn a little about the game's history and the great players and teams of the past. . . not saying you have to be a historian, but don't be one of these guys on here that thinks the NHL started in 2002.

Believe me, it'll add a lot of depth and colour to the games you're watching now. Plus, ex-player biographies is a great way to learn about certain aspects of the game, which you can then watch for in an actual game.
This just sounds like get off my lawn to me. What's the difference?

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
DrMom9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post

He wants a hobby, not a homework assignment.

DrMom9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Try and follow the puck, at first. If you follow the puck, you follow the play. The rest will come.

It just kind of comes to you - that's what happened for me.
Was going to say the same thing. I think it takes a while for some to get used to, but before you know it you'll be able to anticipate the next pass or two without really even knowing for sure that the passing lane is there.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdolYell View Post
i tried to like the lightning when i 1st started watching but i couldn't do it lol. And yea the dolphins break my heart every year but i keep coming back haha
Is there any reason why ? As a Lightning (and offense first ) fan, I don't like this, but it's up to everybody himself. Tampa has a promising future and great players. Will be a hell of a team in a few years.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
FlyingPantherExtreme

You can watch a lot just following the puck and not learn much very quickly since so much is happening. Pick one guy on a faceoff and watch how he plays the position: defensive coverage/responsibilities, positioning, breakouts

FlyingPantherExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Can you share that with your fellow Ducks fans when you go to the games? I've personally had them try to tell me on more than one occasion that a snow shower on the goalie was icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
lol...i hope thats a joke
I wish it was. Sadly, it's not a joke.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Also read/watch videos about the ducks history.
The boxed set is a doozy.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Maybe if you're asking a 9 year old girl or some Newport Beach housewife... and hey, I'm sure they're are a lot of people at Kings games who don't know the rules either.
I wasn't asking. They volunteered the info. Funny stuff, actually.

I'm not bashing their fandom. They loved their team.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly the thing that helped me the most to become an actual hockey fan in 05 was playing NHL 2k5. Obviously not the most realistic game ever made but i learned so much about the rosters of other teams, even my own. I learned exactly what things like offsides, icing, the point, the slot, the dots, the crease etc...were. I learned how plays were set up and why players did certain things.

My biggest problem when i first started to actually watch games was following the puck. But i got over that pretty quickly because after playing hockey videogames for a while i learned where to expect the puck to be and why it would be there. Not to mention, with an HD TV the puck is soooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to follow now than even 6 years ago.

Congrats on finding hockey man. From one old-new fan to a new fan like yourself, you've made a great choice.

*(Stay away from GDT's though [Game Day Threads] they're nothing but piles and piles of negativity!)

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:22 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

May I suggest seeking out some of the history of the game. That is pretty easy in 2013, with YouTube and whatnot.

For me, a great part of the game is it's tradition and what the men who have played it stand for. I feel like only baseball can hold a candle to the history of the game of hockey, and I also feel like no other sport's greatest players have been the kind of men that the best hockey players have been.

As a kid, I was into the Montreal Canadiens for this reason. I read every book I could on the history of the Canadiens, and great players and cultural icons like Maurice Richard, Jaques Plante and Jean Beliveau. For that reason, I fell in love with the aura surrounding the Habs, and players like Ken Dryden, Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson became my heroes. I later fell in love with the Oilers during the time of Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, and Messier. Now I say I like the Oilers and the Penguins, but no matter who lifts the Cup, I always find myself with tears in my eyes knowing that the captain of that team has climbed a mountain that he was trying to climb from the time he was a little boy learning the game, just like I was a long time ago.

Hockey on its surface appears to be a violent, x-games extreme style of sport where guys just fight and score goals at breakneck speed. Yeah, some of that is valid. But it is also beautiful game, a game of finesse and precision and friendships and loyalty that goes with the hits and fights and grit and determination all wrapped into one. A hockey player will get a stick in the face, go for ten stitches, and look his teammates in the eye and say...I am still doing this for you guys tonight. I won't let you down. That is hockey.

If you can find all of that in the game, then you know what it is to be a true hockey fan. I hope you do, and welcome to the club!

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Laino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMom9900 View Post
He wants a hobby, not a homework assignment.
Gold.

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
HavlatMach9

Learn some of the rules (like icing, powerplay, offside) and then just watch. Soon enough you'll be able to follow what's happening without even watching the puck and also figure out who has the puck by the unique skating styles of players.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:26 PM
HOLDITHERE

I'm bored, so here:

A rundown on teams:

Anaheim Ducks - A team that's always had an offense, but no with an offensive coach they seem to be where they should've been all along. A decent team to follow if you're just getting into hockey. You can rise with them.

Boston Bruins - Pretty hated by anyone outside of Boston. They have alot of guys on the team who pester everyone around them, but have the muscle to back it up. A great team, but they're easy to hate.

Buffalo Sabres - Boring. Perrenial shortcomers due to bad management. They also have the *****iest goalie ever.

Calgary Flames - Can't seem to get it going. They wind up in the middle of the standings every year, getting no decent draft picks, then repeat the next year. Now they've lost their legendary captain to an already stacked Pittsburgh team.

Carolina Hurricanes - Alot of great offense, great goalie, but generally pretty quiet media wise.

Chicago Blackhawks - Dominant offense, dominant all around. I hate them.

Colorado Avalanche - Horrible coach is holding down would could be an exciting offensive team.

Columbus Blue Jackets - They suck every year, yet this year there's potential for a playoff spot. You can't help but feel bad for them. Even their rivals can't hate them.

Dallas Stars - Great young team, but they like once again, fail to reach the playoffs year after year.

Detroit Red Wings - The Yankees of the NHL, but lately they're starting to take a turn downhill.

Edmonton Oilers - With 4598490 #1 draft picks, all #1 goal scorers, they still can't score goals.

Florida Panthers - No one cares about them. Let's be honest.

Los Angeles Kings - Last years champions. Could potentially win it again this year. I estimate they gained about 4549540 new fans since april of last year.

Minnesota Wild - Another team no one talks about, a farily new franchise still, this probably being their best season yet.

Montreal Canadiens - I have no clue as to how, but the NHL's favorite team is somehow having a great season for a change. Love em or hate em type team.

Nashville Predators - Defense.

New Jersey Devils - Trap

New York Islanders - Losing interest as I read their team name...

New York Rangers - An underachieving, very popular team. Great offensive players, amazing goalie, just underachieving.

Philadelphia Flyers - Also underachieving. The Flyers are more or les known as the "gritty" team, along with Boston.

Phoenix Coyotes - They won't be here very long.

Pittsburgh Penguins - A stacked all star team in PA. That's about it. Have the top two players in the league.

Ottawa Senators - Young, often injured, exciting. Yeah.

San Jose Sharks - A team that on paper looks great every season.

St Louis Blues - A team on the rise. Had a breakout season last year and seem to be keeping it up. Very defensive.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Have the best goal scorer in the league, but everything else about them is pretty mediocre.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Unless you live in Toronto, you love to make fun of the Maple Leafs. They're coveted in Canada, but haven't really won anything in about 4 centuries. They've been getting alot better in recent years.

Vancouver Canucks - One of the most hated teams in the league, but very talented.

Washington Capitals - Have some great players, underachieving horrible this year.

Winnipeg Jets - Who doesn't like the Jets?

HOLDITHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDITHERE View Post
I'm bored, so here:

A rundown on teams:

Anaheim Ducks - A team that's always had an offense, but no with an offensive coach they seem to be where they should've been all along. A decent team to follow if you're just getting into hockey. You can rise with them.

Boston Bruins - Pretty hated by anyone outside of Boston. They have alot of guys on the team who pester everyone around them, but have the muscle to back it up. A great team, but they're easy to hate.

Buffalo Sabres - Boring. Perrenial shortcomers due to bad management. They also have the *****iest goalie ever.

Calgary Flames - Can't seem to get it going. They wind up in the middle of the standings every year, getting no decent draft picks, then repeat the next year. Now they've lost their legendary captain to an already stacked Pittsburgh team.

Carolina Hurricanes - Alot of great offense, great goalie, but generally pretty quiet media wise.

Chicago Blackhawks - Dominant offense, dominant all around. I hate them.

Colorado Avalanche - Horrible coach is holding down would could be an exciting offensive team.

Columbus Blue Jackets - They suck every year, yet this year there's potential for a playoff spot. You can't help but feel bad for them. Even their rivals can't hate them.

Dallas Stars - Great young team, but they like once again, fail to reach the playoffs year after year.

Detroit Red Wings - The Yankees of the NHL, but lately they're starting to take a turn downhill.

Edmonton Oilers - With 4598490 #1 draft picks, all #1 goal scorers, they still can't score goals.

Florida Panthers - No one cares about them. Let's be honest.

Los Angeles Kings - Last years champions. Could potentially win it again this year. I estimate they gained about 4549540 new fans since april of last year.

Minnesota Wild - Another team no one talks about, a farily new franchise still, this probably being their best season yet.

Montreal Canadiens - I have no clue as to how, but the NHL's favorite team is somehow having a great season for a change. Love em or hate em type team.

Nashville Predators - Defense.

New Jersey Devils - Trap

New York Islanders - Losing interest as I read their team name...

New York Rangers - An underachieving, very popular team. Great offensive players, amazing goalie, just underachieving.

Philadelphia Flyers - Also underachieving. The Flyers are more or les known as the "gritty" team, along with Boston.

Phoenix Coyotes - They won't be here very long.

Pittsburgh Penguins - A stacked all star team in PA. That's about it. Have the top two players in the league.

Ottawa Senators - Young, often injured, exciting. Yeah.

San Jose Sharks - A team that on paper looks great every season.

St Louis Blues - A team on the rise. Had a breakout season last year and seem to be keeping it up. Very defensive.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Have the best goal scorer in the league, but everything else about them is pretty mediocre.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Unless you live in Toronto, you love to make fun of the Maple Leafs. They're coveted in Canada, but haven't really won anything in about 4 centuries. They've been getting alot better in recent years.

Vancouver Canucks - One of the most hated teams in the league, but very talented.

Washington Capitals - Have some great players, underachieving horrible this year.

Winnipeg Jets - Who doesn't like the Jets?
Not a bad list. But I have a hard time thinking of Dallas as a "young team" with Whitney, Jagr, Petersen, Cole, Robidas