HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New hockey fan

Old
04-02-2013, 12:41 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
uh-oh...by the look of it this thread is going to turn into 30 fan bases courting you for your fandom
Make it 29, I wouldn't want him to endure the Avalanche this season at all.

Also I am very surprised nobody has mentioned, momentum. Hockey is the only sport on earth I know of that momentum changes rule the game. Here is one right here,

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:09 AM
IdolYell
Rookie User

it appears i should have taken my time in choosing a team...im liking the panthers alot

IdolYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Primrose Everdeen
In Carey We Trust

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
A good thing to watch would be the Brendan Shanahan videos on what constitutes penalties such as goaltender interferences and boarding.
I practically spit on my monitor reading this response

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:16 AM
Nashty

vCash: 262
Went from a Ducks avy to a Panthers one, already bandwagoning?

EDIT: and why do you like Florida now? Other than them being last in the NHL.

81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:17 AM
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Went from a Ducks avy to a Panthers one, already bandwagoning?
well yea kind of, this is my 1st season watching the NHL lol

there a team i can watch on TV and actually go to the games, only way to see the ducks is live streams

im also liking Tomas Fleischmann alot

Last edited by IdolYell: 04-02-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 03:27 AM
DoktorZaius

Panthers are bad now, but have a great GM and a good prospect pool. Will have a top 3 pick in this year's draft, which means you'll be getting an amazing rookie for next year. All things considered, I think this is a good time to get in on the ground floor of Panthers fandom.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:35 AM
DigitalSea
Thank you Landon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdolYell View Post

there a team i can watch on TV and actually go to the games, only way to see the ducks is live streams

There's no reason not to have two teams in opposite conferences! Us southern fans need to stick together anyways! Good choice on the panthers though. I love what they did last year in the playoffs and you guys got one of my favorite Ducks in Parros. (epic mustache guy)

DigitalSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Tomas W

A good videogame like EA's NHL should give you a lot of insight in the game.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Charizard
Tank Nation

Let me tell you about the greatest team in the league.

The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto is the god damn Batman of the NHL. The only club worth a batrijillion dollars. Sure, things may have been dark lately as the Bruin broke our back... but we've been on the rise to reclaim our place at the top of Gotham City, reclaiming Lord Stanley from the clutches of the evil L.A. Kings.

But if that doesn't sell you, let me tell you about our players.

Dion Phanuef This guy is like a wooly mammoth come back to life and given skates, his stick struck by lightning infused to give him the most devastating of shots when it actually strikes!

Nazem ****in Kadri Oh boy, Nazem Nifty Mittens Kadri, the Dream, he's on pace to get 400 points per season, roughly 600 goals and 800 assists is what he'll have accomplished after only one full season in the NHL. It's like Wolverine and Superman fused together to make the ultimate super hero hockey player.

Phil Kessel PHIL THE THRILL, He's like a werewolf squirrel, he may be shy at first and pretty soft and fuzzy and cute, man he's kind of awkward looking too, but then he turns into the BEAST, using his killer instinct to destroy the evil Senators and Canadiens.

In conclusion, there are 28 evil teams, the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the Toronto Batman Maple Leafs. They are on pace for roughly 7 million points a season, the highest any team as ever accomplished.

Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:49 AM
Kcoyote3

Quote:

Hey man, I'm a long time hockey fan living in the Ft. Laud area, unfortunately not really a Panthers fan though

Have any questions about where to go to watch games you can ask. I know a bunch of places. My favorite recently when I do feel like watching the Panthers is the Game Zone across the way from the stadium. Got Johnny Rockets in there, drinks, bunch of TVs, and a pretty big arcade room (for fun dates and such).

Kcoyote3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
Let me tell you about the greatest team in the league.

The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Toronto is the god damn Batman of the NHL. The only club worth a batrijillion dollars. Sure, things may have been dark lately as the Bruin broke our back... but we've been on the rise to reclaim our place at the top of Gotham City, reclaiming Lord Stanley from the clutches of the evil L.A. Kings.

But if that doesn't sell you, let me tell you about our players.

Dion Phanuef This guy is like a wooly mammoth come back to life and given skates, his stick struck by lightning infused to give him the most devastating of shots when it actually strikes!

Nazem ****in Kadri Oh boy, Nazem Nifty Mittens Kadri, the Dream, he's on pace to get 400 points per season, roughly 600 goals and 800 assists is what he'll have accomplished after only one full season in the NHL. It's like Wolverine and Superman fused together to make the ultimate super hero hockey player.

Phil Kessel PHIL THE THRILL, He's like a werewolf squirrel, he may be shy at first and pretty soft and fuzzy and cute, man he's kind of awkward looking too, but then he turns into the BEAST, using his killer instinct to destroy the evil Senators and Canadiens.

In conclusion, there are 28 evil teams, the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the Toronto Batman Maple Leafs. They are on pace for roughly 7 million points a season, the highest any team as ever accomplished.
After such a beginning, try to write something about Hawks, Ducks, Pens and HABS (Habs are Montreal Canadiens - Les Habitants - Habs)

Edit: I missed the irony :-D

Heh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 AM
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
A good videogame like EA's NHL should give you a lot of insight in the game.
yea just picked up NHL 13 tonight, great game im learning power plays and such from playing

Old
04-02-2013, 05:39 AM
IdolYell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoyote3 View Post
Hey man, I'm a long time hockey fan living in the Ft. Laud area, unfortunately not really a Panthers fan though

Have any questions about where to go to watch games you can ask. I know a bunch of places. My favorite recently when I do feel like watching the Panthers is the Game Zone across the way from the stadium. Got Johnny Rockets in there, drinks, bunch of TVs, and a pretty big arcade room (for fun dates and such).
Thanks for the info i'll make sure to check out the game zone

Old
04-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Oobz

Nice of you picking the local team to support, even though they are not doing great this year, that is 100 times better than being on a bandwagon.

Oobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Lol I bet the op is overwhelmed with all this random information people are feeding him.
Welcome to hockey bro!!!!!! P.S. Canucks are the best.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
legendinblue
Trust in Hunter

You should be a Maple Leafs fan.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:12 AM
SCanedinavian

As someone who is fairly new to the game myself, I can just reiterate that watching as many games as possible really helps. At first I found it difficult to track the puck, but as you get used to the speed of the game the rest of it makes more sense.

I'd also watch the two HBO-produced NHL 24/7 documentaries, they give you a really cool insight into some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. Helped make me realise how much more grounded a lot of the hockey players seem, as opposed to other athletes (at least premier league footballers).

And just enjoy it, this is my third year following the NHL and it just keeps getting better.

SCanedinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Find a favorite player.

Associate with team.

Hate the Bruins.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Mikeshane
Glass Bangers Rock

1st round of the playoffs. Make sure you watch that. Just follow whatever series' are the best.

Mikeshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:32 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Unlike any other North American sport, NHL hockey is driven by Canada. We're the largest single source of players, and generate most of league revenue.

Next up is the Original 6 teams. Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, New York (Rangers), and Boston. Generally, these teams plus the remaining Canadian teams have the most fans.

The next 100 days or so is this most exciting for a hockey fan, although the effect will be lessened by not following a team throughout the whole season.

Tomorrow is the trade deadline. Its the single day when most trades are completed.

We have the last month of the regular season (10-12 games or so).

The Stanley Cup playoffs, which are, bar none, the best hockey you will watch. The Stanley Cup is widely regarded as the most difficult Championship to win. Its grueling, grinding, and intense. For two months.

Shortly after the Cup is won the draft is held. Hope springs eternal for those young men to lead their new teams to victory. Unlike Football or Basketball, very few players jump to the NHL and make an immediate impact. The vast majority go through years of development in minor leagues. One player will not win a team a Championship like other sports. Its very team reliant. Also a lot of trades at this time.

After the draft is the beginning of July, which marks free agency. 'nuff said. Thats exciting in every sport.

Then its the summer and not a whole lot happens until September when camps open and pre-season begins. Regular season starts in October.

Oh, and stick with the Panthers. Theyve got a lot of young talent. If coached properly, and they manage there budget smartly, they will be a strong team in short order. They're also close to home for you, so you can watch them live. I understand tickets are very affordable for them as well. Thats not true for the Leafs, which is unfortunate for me.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Aceekay

*insert favorite team here* were the best team in the league

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post

Hate the Penguins.
Fixed that for you

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:40 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Fixed that for you
Hate everyone except your team!!!

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
yea just picked up NHL 13 tonight, great game im learning power plays and such from playing
Yeah, I learned a lot about US-football from the Madden NFL videogame (was several years ago now, but still...).

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Southlake

I could tell you why you should root for "insert team here" but I won't. Go with your local team. Nothing will make you fall in love with hockey more than going to a live game. And, you stand a better chance of seeing a majority of your games live, which always helps. Do you use Twitter? If so, find out who your local beat guy is and follow him- he'll be one of the best sources for info on your team. Follow a couple of your players if you can- you'll get to know their personalities and a little bit about who they are off ice.

I'm a relatively new hockey fan as well- about two years or so. It was confusing as hell at first. But I loved it anyway- and I committed to watching the games, and learning as I went along.

One of the things that confused me at first was how can you have penalties in a game that allows you to punch someone in the face? Most of the penalties are pretty self explanatory- but read up on some of the technical definitions for boarding and cross checking, as those can help you understand the difference between good hit v. bad hit. Also, while fighting is "allowed"- there are still a lot of rules around it. Reading up on the history of fighting in the game and the rules around it will help you understand why it's in the game, and that it's not just a brutal sport because of it.

Most of all- watch games. Keep the laptop open and hit google or the NHL rulebook when something confuses you. But just keep watching games- it will come to you, honestly. Welcome to the best sport on earth!

Southlake is offline   Reply With Quote