HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Those ESPN guys really love us don't they?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2003, 08:37 AM
  #1
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Those ESPN guys really love us don't they?

This is from ESPN.com

"Training camp is a time for hope, even for the hopeless.

Unless of course, you're the New York Rangers, who peak during offseason news conferences -- tear-jerking video tributes, high-end drama, great food -- then head straight downhill.

Since Mike Richter announced his retirement, Brian Leetch has gotten hit in the ankle with a puck (yes, that ankle) and Dan Blackburn has added a bout of mononucleosis on top of nerve damage in his shoulder. And Mark Messier has returned to the team for his 25th pro season, becoming the only player in NHL history with a first-line personality playing fourth-line center and wearing the captain's "C."

Not surprisingly, we don't think they'll make the playoffs"

I know that we are bleak about our own team sometimes, but I really do not recall a time when ESPN had ANYTHING positive to say about our beloved team. I know that the Rangers have not given anyone much hope, but still.........It's just a matter of time untill Morgantti starts his weekly anti-Rangers rants.
This is just one of the reasons that I can't wait for the Rangers to FINALLY become a top team again. Just to shove it into the face of every Rangers-hater (and there are a WHOLE LOT of them). I'm so sick and tired of having everyone and their grandmother get on board w/ Ranger bashing. And everyone feels the urge just to twist the knife and pour as much salt as possible on our open wounds. The day that the Rangers are a good team again, I will have no mercy for others. NONE.

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:39 AM
  #2
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Awards:
What does Blackburn's injury have to do with anything? He wasn't even projected to be on the Opening Night roster.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:43 AM
  #3
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Absolute joke

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...age=2003tc/nyr

My favorite parts:

"Then again, isn't it GM Glen's contractual creativity that inhibited Lindros from doing just that last year?"

That was talking about the bonuses in Lindros's contract that led to his avoidance style of play.

" Both Tom Poti and Vladimir Malakhov (when healthy) have occasionally proven to be the kind of puck-carrying pawns a mobile scoring machine must have, though both have been known to set up scoring chances for the opposition, too. "

Can't say they did not nail that one on the head.

Now here is what I don't get:

"Are the fans as blind as the media? Can't they see the proof when it's not only played out in red-white-and-blue in the Garden of Square, but printed out in black and white, too? Why can't they see what Glen Sather has accomplished, and more importantly, what he envisions?"

Do these clowns think that we don't know what we are looking at? We are the fans of the NY Rangers, not some little hick team. Give us just a little credit.

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:44 AM
  #4
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I know that we are bleak about our own team sometimes, but I really do not recall a time when ESPN had ANYTHING positive to say about our beloved team.
What positive things are there to say?

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:44 AM
  #5
Bure9*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
I believe they're just mirroring the fan's opinions. The Rangers were already hated before they started losing, now it's like adding insult to injury. Hating the Rangers is the norm around the hockey world, or at least on the hf boards.

Bure9* is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:46 AM
  #6
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
What positive things are there to say?
Not much. However, ESPN had nothing positive to say about the Rangers during '94 either as I recall.

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:47 AM
  #7
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Awards:
What about this article?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ris&id=1621877

My favorite part:

"The Lies:

5. Here come the Blueshirts: This is it, the year the New York Rangers finally turn it around. Those would be the same Rangers who lost Sunday night 9-1 to the Minnesota Wild, the same Wild who are missing their two top scorers from last season."

We're really judging the Rangers by a preseason game against a team who went the West Finals last season. And really who were the Rangers missing for that game?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:50 AM
  #8
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=SingnBluesOnBroadwayWe're really judging the Rangers by a preseason game against a team who went the West Finals last season. And really who were the Rangers missing for that game?[/QUOTE]

Also read the above article that I posted. Who were we missing? For starters how about that 5-7 players from that game are already in Hartford? How about the fact that Bobo/Dale was our #1 defensive pair?

True Blue is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 08:56 AM
  #9
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Awards:
[QUOTE=True Blue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadwayWe're really judging the Rangers by a preseason game against a team who went the West Finals last season. And really who were the Rangers missing for that game?[/QUOTE

Also read the above article that I posted. Who were we missing? For starters how about that 5-7 players from that game are already in Hartford? How about the fact that Bobo/Dale was our #1 defensive pair?
Saw that.

And what does this mean:

"Pavel Bure and his personal agenda may be forced to retire due to two knobby knees. "

Personal agenda?

Read further and you'll realize that Parent writes for a Pennsyvania rag. No further questions your honor.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 09:05 AM
  #10
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
What does Blackburn's injury have to do with anything? He wasn't even projected to be on the Opening Night roster.
for some reason most of the media sources completely forgot about markkanen this summer...whether it was cujo rumors, richter retiring or a season preview, most talked about dunham and blackburn as if markkanen wasn't on the team (nice to see they check the rosters before writing a preview)

NYR469 is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 09:09 AM
  #11
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=True Blue]I know that we are bleak about our own team sometimes, but I really do not recall a time when ESPN had ANYTHING positive to say about our beloved team. I know that the Rangers have not given anyone much hope, but still.........It's just a matter of time untill Morgantti starts his weekly anti-Rangers rants. [QUOTE]


actually last season the guys at espn predicted the rangers to do great...if i remember correctly 3 of the 6 guys picked the rangers going to the conference finals or stanley cup finals...

which shows how much they know and how much we should care about what they say

NYR469 is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 09:19 AM
  #12
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
As a comm. major i can tell you one of the things that i've noticed in my experience dealing with news outlets {in every medium}.

With every passing year more and more commentaries come out. It's less news and more opinions. not that it is s\a bad thing, just the way things go. Heck my area is public relations and i can tell you that more and more editors and reporters throw their slants in today then ever before. Even from when i was working and finishing school, there has been a dramatic turn towards the slant.

NY and everything associated with it is a very unique situation. NY is like no other place on earth and believe me, i've seen a lot of places. The closest i can even get is maybe Chicago,London or Paris but even they aren't quite like NY.

Having said that NY is a place you love and you hate. Same goes for the teams. People either love the yankees or they hate them same with the rangers. The rangers even in their bad seasons still tend to pack them in. Any pro sport in North America needs NY, and new yorkers never let them forget it =)

Having said that, the rangers have run this team like a joke which only adds to the fire. Unfortunatly reporters, especially at ESPN {which tends to have a lot of bostonians working for it} will rip a NY team any chance they can get. sadly they dont know when to stop and it makes the once proud sports station look increasingly amateurish.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 09:30 AM
  #13
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
This is just one of the reasons that I can't wait for the Rangers to FINALLY become a top team again. Just to shove it into the face of every Rangers-hater (and there are a WHOLE LOT of them). I'm so sick and tired of having everyone and their grandmother get on board w/ Ranger bashing. And everyone feels the urge just to twist the knife and pour as much salt as possible on our open wounds. The day that the Rangers are a good team again, I will have no mercy for others. NONE.

Well TB I think we're going to be waiting a loooooooooooooooong time for the Rangers to be constant contenders (even for the playoffs) 3 things need to happen before this organization can move forward.

1. (TOP PRIORITY) The Dolans need to leave. The dolans ruin everything they touch, have no clue about hockey and shouldn't be associated with the team.
2. Glen Sather needs to be removed from both coach and GM positions - in his years here he hasn't done anything good for the Rangers since he's been here AT ALL. He's slowly ruining the team also, and doesn't even have full control as demonstrated by Jurassic Mark making his decision so late.
3. This brings me to my next point - Messier needs to leave and never come back. I was sad when he left to go to Vancouver, but then bringing him back was a HUGE mistake, so what do we do to fix it? Sign him AGAIN. I'll never forget what he did for the Rags during 93-94 dont' get me wrong but he's useless now and only hurting the Rangers.


Sadly these things won't happen unless the specific person decides to leave. The dolans aren't going to give up even though they need too. Sather's ego is too big to let him walk away, and Messier is becoming senile, I don't think he really cares about the points THAT much , I just think he overvalues and overestimates his abilty.

Sadly enough I've already resigned myself to the fact that we'll be out of the playoffs for 7 straight years at the end of the season. Why? Well what is there to look forward too?
Messier is still playing, Erica is still soft as ever, Rucinsky is back (oh joy), De Vries is coming off of a record year and just got his big paycheck so according to Rangers history he'll play like Peter Popovich. Lundmark will continue to play on the 3rd and 4th line getting small time as both wingers and a center. Bure is done but still collecting money. Kovalev could be a bright spot but if the way he played as a Ranger last season welcome back Luc Robat..........I mean Alexi....

This team is in pitiful shape from management to player personnell.

Bright spots? What bright spots???

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
  #14
303Joe
Registered User
 
303Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Don't let a stupid article by ESPN...

get you guys all upset. You're main concern should be hoping the Rangers come out of the gate w/ a strong start and play as a team. If they don't the articles are just gonna get worse. He points out in the article about Blackburn and losing 9-1 in pre-season. You can;t do anything about Blackburn he injured his shoulder working out. As for the pre-season loss sure you want to win them even though its preseason but alot of the team was out and they wanted to look at some youngster who showed they weren't ready and shipped to the minors the next day.

303Joe is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
  #15
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...age=2003tc/nyr

Now here is what I don't get:

"Are the fans as blind as the media? Can't they see the proof when it's not only played out in red-white-and-blue in the Garden of Square, but printed out in black and white, too? Why can't they see what Glen Sather has accomplished, and more importantly, what he envisions?"

Do these clowns think that we don't know what we are looking at? We are the fans of the NY Rangers, not some little hick team. Give us just a little credit.
Now here, I agree with them. I believe we know what this team really is, but many NYR fans still come out, year after year & purchase tickets, gear, etc to support this mediocre at best franchise. Looking from the outside I'd think the fans are crazy too! This year is the first year in the five years i've moved back from LA that I havn't gotten a ticket, and won't go to see a game. I can't support a franchise that year after year is DESTINED to lose because of arrogant philosophical front office jerks who think if you throw together talent without direction they will be contenders.

But of course everyone has hope - the NY sportsfan's motto - there's always next year :p

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 10:04 AM
  #16
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Well TB I think we're going to be waiting a loooooooooooooooong time for the Rangers to be constant contenders (even for the playoffs) 3 things need to happen before this organization can move forward.

1. (TOP PRIORITY) The Dolans need to leave. The dolans ruin everything they touch, have no clue about hockey and shouldn't be associated with the team.
2. Glen Sather needs to be removed from both coach and GM positions - in his years here he hasn't done anything good for the Rangers since he's been here AT ALL. He's slowly ruining the team also, and doesn't even have full control as demonstrated by Jurassic Mark making his decision so late.
3. This brings me to my next point - Messier needs to leave and never come back. I was sad when he left to go to Vancouver, but then bringing him back was a HUGE mistake, so what do we do to fix it? Sign him AGAIN. I'll never forget what he did for the Rags during 93-94 dont' get me wrong but he's useless now and only hurting the Rangers.


Sadly these things won't happen unless the specific person decides to leave. The dolans aren't going to give up even though they need too. Sather's ego is too big to let him walk away, and Messier is becoming senile, I don't think he really cares about the points THAT much , I just think he overvalues and overestimates his abilty.

Sadly enough I've already resigned myself to the fact that we'll be out of the playoffs for 7 straight years at the end of the season. Why? Well what is there to look forward too?
Messier is still playing, Erica is still soft as ever, Rucinsky is back (oh joy), De Vries is coming off of a record year and just got his big paycheck so according to Rangers history he'll play like Peter Popovich. Lundmark will continue to play on the 3rd and 4th line getting small time as both wingers and a center. Bure is done but still collecting money. Kovalev could be a bright spot but if the way he played as a Ranger last season welcome back Luc Robat..........I mean Alexi....

This team is in pitiful shape from management to player personnell.

Bright spots? What bright spots???
I agree with what you're saying here LC. There were times when this team couldve made the playoffs the last 6 years, but because of the philosophy of the old(Sather's Oilers) this team will continue to be mediocre at best. Chemistry in any workplace, no matter what your job is, is so crucial to maintaining consistent, proficient work. Most of these guys have played on a team or this team with one another before, the only crucial ones who havn't may be Simon & deVries, so there may be hope that the bit of chemistry this year that does exist will be enough for an 8th place showing. And also some phenomenal goaltending. And if the PP/PK can be saved from the bottom of the league averages. And if Holik can shutdown top lines. And if......... :p

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 10:36 AM
  #17
_P_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: huntington , NY
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to _P_
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Not much. However, ESPN had nothing positive to say about the Rangers during '94 either as I recall.

no one did they blasted the rangers in preseason that year
i remember after they won they cup it made me so mad that the same people were now on tht bandwagon
i wrote several letter to people concerining just that and they sent me free stuff...like SI sent me the "rangers comemortive mag they made

detriot has been buying teams and cups for the last 5 years and yet its always the rangers fault....

_P_ is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 10:39 AM
  #18
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I believe we know what this team really is, but many NYR fans still come out, year after year & purchase tickets, gear, etc to support this mediocre at best franchise. Looking from the outside I'd think the fans are crazy too!
I don't even think you need to look for the "average" fan and/or from an outsider's perspective. We all know there are a number of posters right here - a place where most people are FAR more knowlegeable on hockey matters - who are of the "Now! Now! Now!" persuasion.

As for the article, doesn't bother me in the least.
1. The Rangers will always be ripped for something.
2. Ripping the Rangers means ripping Sather/Dolan. I'm all for that and I couldn't care less who's doing it. And the more severe the better.

dedalus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.