HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Primary, Cards secondary?

Old
04-09-2013, 07:27 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 202
Blues Primary, Cards secondary?

Who would have thunk it?

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...9c4c4edf4.html

The Cardinals will take a back seat to the Blues on Fox Sports Midwest for a regular-season game tonight, the first time hockey will have priority over baseball on that channel for a regular-season game other than a Blues home finale.

In the St. Louis market, FSM will send the Cardinals-Cincinnati game, at 7:15 p.m., to Fox Sports Midwest Plus — the secondary channel it uses when it has two live events at the same time. The Blues-Nashville game, at 7:05 p.m., will be carried on the normal FSM outlet.

(Outside the St. Louis market and on Fidelity cable in Sullivan, Mo., the Cards will be on the main FSM channel, the Blues on the alternate one.)

Baseball far out performs hockey in the ratings on a regular basis, but the Cardinals are in the early stages of their season and the Blues are in a tight race for a playoff spot with their season winding down and are playing a key rival.

“It’s a good challenge to have — every game being on TV,” Fox Sports Midwest spokesman Geoff Goldman said Monday. “We work with our video provider partners to make both games available to fans in St. Louis, in standard definition and HD. Both teams are playing big games, and we try to achieve a balance in the number of games the Blues and Cardinals play on Fox Sports Midwest and Fox Sports Midwest Plus.”

The next overlap comes Friday night, when the Cardinals are in Milwaukee and the Blues are in Columbus, Ohio. Baseball then will be on FSM’s main channel, hockey on FSM Plus.

After that, there are four more times when the teams are head-to-head before the Blues are done for the regular season. Both teams will appear on the primary outlet twice and on the secondary channel twice in that span.

On radio, KMOX (1120 AM) sends the Blues to KYKY (98.1 FM) for all remaining times when the clubs play simultaneously during hockey’s regular season.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

vCash: 50
Good. Blues hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cardinals baseball

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

vCash: 500
I heart our Cardinals but not nearly to the extent I do with the Blues. I don't really care about the Cards having tv priority for the most part, I get it that they bring in the higher ratings, St. Louis is mostly a baseball town. As long as the game is being televised is what matters, if not I'm off to find a stream somewhere! So I will take one of these rare occurences and enjoy it!

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Wiems35

Can't blame them after the disgrace of an opening day performance.

Wiems35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiems35 View Post
What do you mean? The Cards were winning 4-2 when I fell asleep, and that is how I imagine the game ended....

Seriously, I woke up and heard the score and was like, "WTF?!?" At least the pre-game ceremonies were nice.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:36 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
You go to a Blues game to watch the Blues. You go to a Cardinals game to relax and drink beer. Therefore, Blues win.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:18 AM
SirPaste

Kinda surprising, but this Blues game just means so much more while the Cards are just getting started so its not a total shocker

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey good for you guys. I was so happy the other night when the Hawks were on CSN and the Bulls were on CSN +

Obviously we all wish it was like this all the time but we'll take whatever small victories we can get!

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
What do you mean? The Cards were winning 4-2 when I fell asleep, and that is how I imagine the game ended....

Seriously, I woke up and heard the score and was like, "WTF?!?" At least the pre-game ceremonies were nice.
Hey a starting shortstop will solve all of this

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:37 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Kinda surprising, but this Blues game just means so much more while the Cards are just getting started so its not a total shocker
Importance of the game or time of season is irrelevant if the team isn't a draw.

But Blues fans continue to bring it in the ratings game. Top 5 all season long in the NHL in terms of regional viewers with some audiences comparable to Cards games. This wouldn't happen if the ratings weren't really strong. Which they are. And FSMW is also probably looking down the road to try and grab some casual fans and further drive up interest in the two series they get during the playoffs.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Brez50

I'm glad to see as many games on FSMW because our Comcast doesn't give us the + versions. Given the option tonight between watching my Cincy Reds or my Blues, I'd rather watch the Blues right now.

Brez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
BrokenFace

vCash: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiems35 View Post

Came here to post this

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
In their defense, the Cardinals did well; it was one player, Boggs, who was terrible, and Rzepczynski didn't help any.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:52 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Good. Blues hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cardinals baseball
This

Its hard to support a team that wears Detroit red

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
This

Its hard to support a team that wears Detroit red
Detroit actually wears Cardinals red. If my belief that the Cards came before the Wings holds water.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
As someone who has a soft spot for the Blues, and doesn't like the Cardinals (Brewers fan), I approve

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
Not in Champaign, IL, sadly. Stupid Cardinals.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Detroit actually wears Cardinals red. If my belief that the Cards came before the Wings holds water.
You are actually correct, as I had this conversation with my brother in law the other day

My logic here is hockey is a better sport so no matter who came first, all team colors are based on hockey teams

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Brez50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Not in Champaign, IL, sadly. Stupid Cardinals.
Same for Decatur. Hi neighbor!

Brez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Bendak
Jedi Use Hacks

I always have viewed baseball games as an excuse to pay for the privilege of getting a sunburn

Bendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Red08

This made me happy. I understand it's all about ratings, but the network should be focused on quality of the ratings over quantity. People turn on a hockey game to watch a hockey game, people turn on the baseball game for background noise. I don't follow the Cardinal message boards, but I doubt they ***** about the commercials as much as we do (Pitbull...).

Seriously, I have no idea how somebody could possibly turn on a baseball game and watch it on the TV for 3 straight hours!

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
This made me happy. I understand it's all about ratings, but the network should be focused on quality of the ratings over quantity. People turn on a hockey game to watch a hockey game, people turn on the baseball game for background noise. I don't follow the Cardinal message boards, but I doubt they ***** about the commercials as much as we do (Pitbull...).

Seriously, I have no idea how somebody could possibly turn on a baseball game and watch it on the TV for 3 straight hours!
It's not that hard. I live outside of Little Rock, AR now, so I don't get the Blues. I'll watch all their games online, still, but I'll also watch the Stars now, as that's who I get. For baseball, however, I get the Rangers, Blues, Royals, and Astros. I'll watch any of those games when they're on. I just like baseball.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
It's not that hard. I live outside of Little Rock, AR now, so I don't get the Blues. I'll watch all their games online, still, but I'll also watch the Stars now, as that's who I get. For baseball, however, I get the Rangers, Blues, Royals, and Astros. I'll watch any of those games when they're on. I just like baseball.
What's appealing about baseball. No offense to the sport, but to me there is absolutely nothing exciting about watching a baseball game.

-Only sport where the defense has control of the ball/puck
-Only sport where "everyone gets a turn"
-No contact (c'mon you can't call running the catcher once every 100 games contact)
-Unnecessary diving for balls
-Major exaggeration in almost anything they do
-Too slow, one at bat can last 15 minutes
-You don't do much but stand around and wait
-You really don't have to be in good physical condition to play baseball. strength is the most important attribute to have in the game. Hell you can even have people run for you lol.

I don't know. I grew up watching Cardinals games but as I got older it started to bore me more and more. Now I've gotten to the point asking "how can anyone honestly enjoy watching this?"

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Bendak
Jedi Use Hacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post

That commercial and the amount of times they played it almost drove me to insanity

Old
04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Bendak
Jedi Use Hacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
What's appealing about baseball. No offense to the sport, but to me there is absolutely nothing exciting about watching a baseball game.

-Only sport where the defense has control of the ball/puck
-Only sport where "everyone gets a turn"
-No contact (c'mon you can't call running the catcher once every 100 games contact)
-Unnecessary diving for balls
-Major exaggeration in almost anything they do
-Too slow, one at bat can last 15 minutes
-You don't do much but stand around and wait
-You really don't have to be in good physical condition to play baseball. strength is the most important attribute to have in the game. Hell you can even have people run for you lol.

I don't know. I grew up watching Cardinals games but as I got older it started to bore me more and more. Now I've gotten to the point asking "how can anyone honestly enjoy watching this?"
Once to get under my roommates skin, I made the assertion that being a Nascar driver took more physical endurance than to be a baseball player The QQ was epic lol