HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester for Cundari, Berra, protected 1st

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 12:41 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
McDonald and Cole will be traded for a #2 centre.
McDonald won't be traded. He wasn't coming back anyway, so it doesn't save any money except a minimal amount this season.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Who was seen talking with Army during the game?
Trust Panger over Strickland every time my friend. Strick means well, but he puts his foot in his mouth far too often to be taken as a hard source.
Of course, just wanted to make sure. I thought he had to pass through waivers anyway just wanted to double check.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:44 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Just playing a bit of devil's advocate with you here. Would you have looked at Russell on the Jackets and thought he would be our best d-man against the Kings before we traded for him? Yeah there is a clear difference in expectations due to salary between Bouwmeester and Russell but there is also a pretty wide gap in talent in Bouwmeester's favor as well.
That's a fair point. You never know. When it comes to Jay Bouwmeester and the playoffs, he's never played a single game in what amounts to a totally different kind of hockey. So it's a blank slate.

The thing I'm most glad about is that the reality of Bouwmeester's contract was priced into the return. I feel relatively alone not being shocked by the return. This return (essentially a lone 1st) is appropriate for a guy whose value was getting way overhyped. Any more and I'd have been much more negative in my comments. We'll see what happens financially with the RFAs, as this could have ripple effects. None of us can be certain now what the financial constraints truly are until we see what happens.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
McDonald won't be traded. He wasn't coming back anyway, so it doesn't save any money except a minimal amount this season.
If we trade for an NHL level centre, the team providing him may need to get a centre back.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:50 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
If we trade for an NHL level centre, the team providing him may need to get a centre back.
Which McDonald no longer is. It would make sense to move Berglund or Perron as that would actually shed salary next season.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:53 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

mmm feels nice to have a 6'4" defenseman again

Old
04-02-2013, 12:56 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

If we used that first in 2013 to draft a player with the skills of Jay Bouwmeester, I would have been thrilled. Maybe it's too late, and I've certainly had too much to drink, but I hope that makes sense. I see it as drafting a 29 year old PMD on a bad contract late in the first round, which I'd be happy with. On second though, this is just stupid...I need to stop now before this post gets even more ridiculous.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:58 AM
David71

The defense is solid. Everyone on their right positions. Are the blues gonna make any more moves.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Robb_K

It's also nice to keep Detroit from getting helped by picking him up for almost nothing.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:11 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
That's a fair point. You never know. When it comes to Jay Bouwmeester and the playoffs, he's never played a single game in what amounts to a totally different kind of hockey. So it's a blank slate.

The thing I'm most glad about is that the reality of Bouwmeester's contract was priced into the return. I feel relatively alone not being shocked by the return. This return (essentially a lone 1st) is appropriate for a guy whose value was getting way overhyped. Any more and I'd have been much more negative in my comments. We'll see what happens financially with the RFAs, as this could have ripple effects. None of us can be certain now what the financial constraints truly are until we see what happens.
Oh you will not find any argument from me on his lack of playoff experience, nor the fact that he's over paid in the current cap climate. He could very well crumple in the playoffs or he could be a much more talented version of Russell. For the chips we put on the table, I really like this roll of the dice.

Edit: I just thought I would add I cannot wait to see how Feaster pisses away all this cap space he just opened up when free agency hits.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:23 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
The psychological impact of this trade on the team at this particular moment in time can't be understated. They got the message that the time to win is now, and that they're going to receive some help.

I personally feel that the team will go on a positive run to end the season and be back in 'contender' status entering the post-season. I'm just a bit concerned about the goaltending situation....but hopefully Jake Allen can hold down the fort with Elliott. (Elliott still looked pretty tentative, but markedly improved from before his hiatus.)

Old
04-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Oshie97

Man this trade shocked me, I'm eating a little crow for saying we were done after the Leo trade. We didn't give up much to improve our d and something had to be done but I still think we needed to get tougher on the back end. Oh we'll maybe ill be wrong again and the puck movement this team now has will improve enough to not worry about it.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:42 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

That reminds me, I also said we were most likely done. Left a small chance but was genuinely surprised the Blues made this move.

Another thought – McKenzie has good sources in some other places but clearly he was being fed info by a source in Calgary who wanted to use McKenzie's name to validate trade values. First he said Bouwmeester would fetch more than Iginla (Calgary source trying to pump up value) and then he quickly pushed the Blues still having potential interest on Bouwmeester even with the Leopold trade. That bit of news (aimed at Detroit to make them believe they had competition in the market) coincided with Feaster calling Armstrong to see if he still had interest.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

I wonder if we tried to get Mark Giordano?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
I wonder if we tried to get Mark Giordano?
Army has been after J-Bo for some time now. I'm sure he may have inquired about Gio but he was trying to pry J-Bo out of there.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:59 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
It's also nice to keep Detroit from getting helped by picking him up for almost nothing.
Take THAT, Dekeyser.

Wings fans seem split on what Holland should've done but he probably would've been more inclined to act on Bowmeester had he not dealt his first rounder last season for a vastly inferior player.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:00 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The psychological impact of this trade on the team at this particular moment in time can't be understated. They got the message that the time to win is now, and that they're going to receive some help.

I personally feel that the team will go on a positive run to end the season and be back in 'contender' status entering the post-season. I'm just a bit concerned about the goaltending situation....but hopefully Jake Allen can hold down the fort with Elliott. (Elliott still looked pretty tentative, but markedly improved from before his hiatus.)
Armstrong gave yet another vote of confidence to the "core" in his quotes to Dan O'Neil in the PD story on the Bowmeester deal. It seems that despite this stunning salary absorption that no one will be offloaded to make the numbers work before the deadline. They'll know by the offseason whose in and whose out longterm. One last audition.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
That reminds me, I also said we were most likely done. Left a small chance but was genuinely surprised the Blues made this move.

Another thought – McKenzie has good sources in some other places but clearly he was being fed info by a source in Calgary who wanted to use McKenzie's name to validate trade values. First he said Bouwmeester would fetch more than Iginla (Calgary source trying to pump up value) and then he quickly pushed the Blues still having potential interest on Bouwmeester even with the Leopold trade. That bit of news (aimed at Detroit to make them believe they had competition in the market) coincided with Feaster calling Armstrong to see if he still had interest.
I can't imagine The Blues having beat out Detroit with such a small offer. I'm guessing that NO other team was willing to take on his large salary if they also had to give up a 1st Rounder. The Blues were desperate to shake up and improve their team. Making the playoffs, and perhaps winning a series, and, thus, bringing in the desperately needed home game revenues, AND showing St. Louis Fans and the team, that they are willing to do some things to produce a winner was absolutely necessary.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:23 AM
BadgersandBlues

I guess we're seeing positives of the Peoria sale already!

I trust Army to not rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul kind of thing here. I think we still have enough money to sign our RFAs. I mean, we -can- backload some contracts (AP/Shatty) to help with next year's money concerns. Then we can hopefully deescalate Jay-Bo a bit while escalating AP and Shatty. I think anywhere b/t 14-15 million combined (Actual salary) is pretty fair for your top three D-men.

After reading the O'Neill article, it seems pretty clear that Army isn't going to trade anyone from our current core at this time. If someone scrubs is up from here on out and into the playoffs, I think we'll see some movement at the draft.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:31 AM
simon in canada

J-Bo? Leopold? How many SOFT defensemen do we need? Welcome to Army's home for wayward boys who don't like physical contact. Sorry boys, not too impressed.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:34 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
J-Bo? Leopold? How many SOFT defensemen do we need? Welcome to Army's home for wayward boys who don't like physical contact. Sorry boys, not too impressed.
Then we just don't re-sign him when his contract is over? Regardless of how bad you guys think J-Bo is you can't deny he isn't a significant upgrade over Redden.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Good trade for St.Louis.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:00 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:

I don't know EXACTLY how GM negotiations go, but I've never really bought suggestions that the media influences trade values like this for the most part. I think most guys have fairly candid discussions. They don't necessarily tell every inquiring team what every other team has offered, but it's not Cold War intrigue, either. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that Feaster told Armstrong what other teams had made significant offers and when Feaster got the Blues' offer, I wouldn't doubt that he ran the exact offer by other interested teams and said, "Can you beat this?"

For every contact Bob McKenzie has, people in management positions have a dozen. They know who is available, what teams have made significant offers, and so forth. I think general managers call each other and are like:
A: "Hey, what are you guys trying to accomplish, what players do you need, anybody available?"
B: "We're looking for a top-9 center. Anything is in play other than X and Y. We'd move Z, too, but only if we can get a minute-eating defenseman."
A: "Who's on your radar for that center?"
B: "Steve and Barry. But bids for both are more than a first rounder, and that's too rich for my blood. What about Gary on your team? What would make him available?"

That's why competing bids are so similar in value. The reported Boston offer for Iginla, for example, was slightly better and that's the one Calgary wanted until Iginla made the decision for them. It wasn't innuendo and careful orchestration from Feaster to get similarly competitive blind offers, it was relative openness with the interested parties.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Im happy with the fact we are legit buyers at the deadline for once. When was the last time that happened.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
I wish Bouwmeester the best of luck with the Blues (well not too much cause a 15th overall pick would be nice ). It will be nice seeing him get in the post season though. You guys are getting a guy much better than people around HF think he is.

I also have a Question about Reto Berra, did he ever sign an ELC with the Blues? I tried googling it but came up with nothing. I would assume is is a RFA in the same boat as Karri Ramo, where the contract has expired and he was given a qualifying offer but never signed another deal?

Closed Thread