HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sounds of Pegula Silence

Old
03-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
The Sounds of Pegula Silence

This is getting mentioned here and there in other threads, so I thought maybe it deserved it's own:

There are more and more cries for Terry Pegula to say something---ANYTHING, to the press/public about the status and future of the Buffalo Sabres. There is also criticism of those who think Pegula owes anyone an explanation.

Which camp are YOU in?

Personally, I don't think he needs to say anything. It's not his role. Most other owners don't make mid-season commentaries about their teams---not even the most vocal ones, so why should Pegula?

Also, the last time he did say anything about the team publicly during a season, it turned into a fiasco. Remember his comments about the team after the Sabres were humiliated in front of his Pittsburgh pals? That resulted in him having to apologize to Miller. He's not going to make that mistake again.

The guy's probably as reactionary as half the people on this board, but face it, he's not stupid and he knows what his role is as owner---and it's not really to coddle the fan base and the media during the season.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Insomniac99

He has stated that he loves entertaining the media during the off season. When the season is on, he likes to get out of the limelight and let the GM/Coach do the speaking. So he's doing exactly what he said he'd be doing before the season even started.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
He has stated that he loves entertaining the media during the off season. When the season is on, he likes to get out of the limelight and let the GM/Coach do the speaking. So he's doing exactly what he said he'd be doing before the season even started.
Somebody needs to remind a TON of people that he said that, because it'll hopefully shut'em all up.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

What's he going to say? I couldn't care less what Pegula thinks of the team right now, it means nothing. I'll be interested in what he has to say after the season, but right now I don't care what he thinks.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:56 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Words are cheap.

Actions are what I care about.

At this time.... I can't complain about his actions.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:56 PM
McTank

Who cares, we know he wants win and is pissed

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Who cares, we know he wants win and is pissed
Yeah this

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:26 AM
dma0034

The guy fired Lindy Ruff, is making sure Regier is trading for the future and people want him to answer to what? Most of this team was assembled before he got here. TBN and WGR are completely making a story out of nothing.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:41 AM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Somebody needs to remind a TON of people that he said that, because it'll hopefully shut'em all up.
Yes.

And the majority of them work at 1 News Plaza and 500 Corporate Parkway.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:53 AM
5 Minute Major

I really don't need to hear from him but, then again, I really didn't need to hear from him the first year or so after he bought the team but we all did.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Clock

I have little question that he's doing what he can in the background to try to get this team setup for the future based on what we've seen.

With our Mickey Mouse media, I'm glad that Pegula isn't giving them any soundbites to twist at this point. As long as work is being done (and it clearly is), I'm good. Pegula doesn't need to come out and state the obvious.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:46 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Anyone wanting him to speak is just looking for sound bites, whether good (e.g. another "Sole reason for existance..." quote) or bad (making excuses for this season).

Nothing he can say right now will mean anything.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Doesn't talk, gets criticized for not saying anything. Does talk, gets criticized for being too involved and not letting Darcy do his job. Lose/lose for him. If he doesn't say anything after the season is over, then that's when we should get worried about the silence.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'm not interested in words.

Ted Black is on WGR regularly and I'm fine with him being the face of upper management & ownership.

I want to see more actions like letting Ruff go.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Der Jaeger

Fans know what the deal is. Pegula doesn't need to say anything. Ruff is fired, and Regier is in the midst of moving veterans to begin a (hopefully) legit rebuild. The fans understand this, and don't need any media to make sense of this for us.

The Buffalo News is looking for an angle for a story. No other franchise's media demands an owner speak out when their team blows. That's what the head coach, GM, and for some franchises, the team president are for.

The Buffalo media is just looking to sell. Stack it on the heap of BS that includes the necessity for a "signature move."

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
kenfury

I would say Pegula's actions have spoken louder than any words could have.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Fans know what the deal is. Pegula doesn't need to say anything. Ruff is fired, and Regier is in the midst of moving veterans to begin a (hopefully) legit rebuild. The fans understand this, and don't need any media to make sense of this for us.

The Buffalo News is looking for an angle for a story. No other franchise's media demands an owner speak out when their team blows. That's what the head coach, GM, and for some franchises, the team president are for.

The Buffalo media is just looking to sell. Stack it on the heap of BS that includes the necessity for a "signature move."
...and right on cue, here's Gleason's column for tomorrow, Trust in Regier all but gone:
Quote:
Terry Pegula has better things to do, but it would be nice if he emerged from the shadows and addressed the current state of his hockey team. He hasn’t spoken publicly since the beginning of the season, making him the only Sabres fan who hasn’t offered his two cents about another season circling the drain.

Then again, what could he say that would soothe the masses at this stage? The results speak for themselves. The Sabres are a mess. In the past two years, he’s lost credibility among many who believed in him. His bold speech about winning the Stanley Cup within three years, once grounds for hope, has become a source of embarrassment.

Clearly, there’s been a major change in plans.

What’s the plan now, Terry?

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
What’s the plan now, Terry?
To keep ignoring you. Obviously working so far.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
...and right on cue, here's Gleason's column for tomorrow, Trust in Regier all but gone:
Oh, Bucky. There's nothing wrong with being critical of Regier. I don't think he's the best architect, and while he's good at getting value in trades, he's too passive at times when the club needs aggression. With that said, Bucky harps on the same things over and over and over, year after year, and it's tiresome at best. I suppose it's as tiresome as us complaining about Bucky. Perhaps I'm just as bad as he is.

Can you imagine if Bucky was a columnist in Calgary with Feaster, though? Oy. On second thought, they might eat a dozen buckets of chicken wings together and be best friends.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:13 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I'm actually LOVING how Pegula is trolling BN right now. It rules.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote