HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RJ: Collateral Damage?

Old
04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Zman5778

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
RJ: Collateral Damage?

So it's fairly obvious that we're going into a rebuild that may take a few seasons before we're back into serious contention.

When does RJ hang them up now? He's been fairly upfront that the attitude of Pegula and the belief that they were close to a potential Big Shiny Prize kept him motivated to keep calling games.

Well, with the prospect of a year or two of near irrelevancy possibly coming.........does this mean we might be hearing the last of RJ this season?

Thoughts?

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:25 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Nothing against you, honestly ..... But this thread (or something like it) has been made every year I've been a member here and a few years before that when I just lurked from time to time .... So I would just say that RJ will retire when .... He simply physically can't OR Pegula and Black think he's lost too much to be entertaining.

The loud minority fans opinions mean very little to the course of RJ as the PxP

I hope he keeps doing PxP until he dies. Selfish ... I know.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
So it's fairly obvious that we're going into a rebuild that may take a few seasons before we're back into serious contention.

When does RJ hang them up now? He's been fairly upfront that the attitude of Pegula and the belief that they were close to a potential Big Shiny Prize kept him motivated to keep calling games.

Well, with the prospect of a year or two of near irrelevancy possibly coming.........does this mean we might be hearing the last of RJ this season?

Thoughts?
It's sad to think about, but yeah, I think it could be the "straw".

You never know though; RJ might stick around for one more year hoping we have an exciting team with a bunch of young hungry kids. It's kind of a long shot, but it's possible. Never thought I'd say this, but he hasn't been that great this year. Maybe if the Sabres had a better year I'd be singing a different tune (along with RJ).

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I hope he keeps doing PxP until he dies. Selfish ... I know.
I'm with you. I can remember all the times I fell asleep while listening to him call a game when I was still in grammar school.

I just think that this rebuild might hasten the end of his career....and I don't like that thought one bit.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

I'm pretty surprised he hasn't retired yet, there were rumors he was hanging it up back around 2008 I believe. I think he was clinging on to hope that maybe the Sabres could win a cup, but with it basically being made official that we are rebuilding, I'd expect him to think about retiring now.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Squantosawuss

I am not from here. When I first heard RJ, I though he was THE most annoying PxP guy I'd ever heard (like some other teams fans still think). I couldn't fathom how anyone could listen to this screaming, shrieking, overly-drmatic announcer, game after game after game.

Over time, I came to realize that RJ is hands down one of THE best, if not THE BEST PxP guys this sport has ever seen. The way he effortlessly articulates what is unfolding on the ice puts every other PxP guy I've heard to shame. Close your eyes and you can see the play. That's a rare skill, particularly in as fast-moving a sport as hockey.

Spoiled we are, evidenced by how it feels when watching other guys call a game, locally or nationally. Others have less intensity, less articulation of plays and generally less style.

RJ's son Mark was horrible filling in for his dad, but that was due to his shrill voice. His PxP, however, was actually fantastic, as he obviously puts a lot of emphasis on calling detailed play, just like dad. If it wasn't for that voice, he would've been an ideal successor.

On a sidenote: Strange to realize that we'll never again hear an update on the population of Pominville, since, as another poster recently mentioned, the population of Pominville has been forever decreased by one.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Shoey
Hello.

I could see RJ saying something like "...and the population of Pominville goes up, much to the chagrin of Sabres fans".

Shoey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:53 AM
BUFSABES1981

It's been a dam long time since I can recall RJ using the "population of Pominville" phrase. I haven't caught it in the last couple years, but the last time I remember him saying it was when we were actually good a few years ago. Or maybe it is just me drinking too much these last few seasons.

BUFSABES1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It was time to retire three years ago, unfortunately. He has badly, severely deteriorated.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:38 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It was time to retire three years ago, unfortunately. He has badly, severely deteriorated.
Truth hurts, but yep.

If we ever win the Cup, have him call any possible clinching games or something and include it on the championship video like the Kings did with Bob Miller.
Other than that though, I wouldn't mind him retiring.
I hope/think once they replace him that the broadcasts will take a step towards being more modern.
Having the TV audio simulcast on the radio severely limits what they can do on the broadcast, IMO.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He makes some mistakes.

Doesn't bother me at all.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Truth hurts, but yep.

If we ever win the Cup, have him call any possible clinching games or something and include it on the championship video like the Kings did with Bob Miller.
Other than that though, I wouldn't mind him retiring.

NO.

As much as I like RJ, that wouldn't be at all fair to whoever is THE guy in the booth. Could you imagine being told "You have the job, but whenever there's a really, really important and exciting game....RJ gets to call it".

Plus, the last thing you want in a critical game is a rusty RJ.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:04 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
NO.

As much as I like RJ, that wouldn't be at all fair to whoever is THE guy in the booth. Could you imagine being told "You have the job, but whenever there's a really, really important and exciting game....RJ gets to call it".
All Cup Final games are national broadcasts, so no one would hear a local broadcaster anyways unless they're listening to the radio for some reason (at that point, you're probably not).

Even if they had someone else call the game on the radio, they could have him record it separately, like the Kings did with Miller.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Shoey
Hello.

I think you owe it to RJ to let him do it until he decides to retire, as much as I agree that his deterioration is readily apparent.

Shoey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
All Cup Final games are national broadcasts, so no one would hear a local broadcaster anyways unless they're listening to the radio for some reason (at that point, you're probably not).

Even if they had someone else call the game on the radio, they could have him record it separately, like the Kings did with Miller.
I was generally referring to the radio broadcast, which many people do tune in even when watching on TV.

I'm actually one of those who listens to the radio broadcast AT the game, LOL. It's actually far more exciting to watch in person while hearing RJ call it. Whenever I take the earbuds out, that arena is like a friggin' church...lol. I think the games are much more exciting in MY seat than most others. You shoulda seen how pissed I was one game a few years ago when WGR had left their 7 second delay on through the game. I was miserable. Imagine watching a show where the dialogue and the action are out of sync by 7 sec.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 04-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

He'll go when he wants to go. He's been through much worse than this with the franchise.

He's only said about a thousand times that it's the travel that wears on him, not the work.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Niagaradad

RJ makes the mundane seem dramatic and the dramatic moments memorable. He's been doing it for so long it will really be odd when he's finally replaced. Let him stay until he's carried out!

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

His call on Grigorenko's first goal made me lol so hard

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

A year ago I wanted RJ gone because of his mistakes but after really thinking about it I want RJ to call games until he can no longer physically do it. He's a living legend and the best play by play guy of all time. What the Sabres need to do is give Jim Lorentz a boat load of cash to come back. Their synergy was amazing, it seems ever since Lorentz was replaced by Neale that RJ has "fell" off, but I think it's more to do with having to get used to new color commentators.Lorentz always knew what to say and when to say it, but the replacements are nowhere near as good as Lorentz was.I love Rayzor but he isn't good enough to be calling games side by side with The Rick. Neale was good just for all the little stories and anecdotes but he was far worse then Rick in terms of making mistakes , telling embarrassing stories etc.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote