HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th

Old
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
So you would have been okay with trading what Colorado did to get a goalie who is no lore proven than Dubnyk??
Sure...1 mid 1st and a 2nd..The first was Forsberg (who would have also being a good pickup this draft but ST crapped the bed ..again). At the time quite a few folks on the Oiler's boards wanted Varlamov because they could see the potential.

How do you think teams get these good pickups but the Oil rarely do? It's great scouting (pro and draft) and top management earning their wages. Hell, I could pick the first rounder every year and probably do as good a job. Just follow TSN's list.
The pro scouts obviously do a lousy job as can be seen by all the vets that everyone keeps talking about.

It's time management and our scouting staff earned some of the damn money they get paid.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
This whole thread has been based on replacing a legit starter who is middle of the pack at worst (at best he could be a legit top ten guy in the future) with a free agent or trade that likely does not exist...

I am all for replacing ANY part of the Oilers which makes them better moving forward...but which NHL manager is letting these pieces of the puzzle go and retaining his job? And even if they are there is a whole league full of teams on standby to start the bidding war...
Nice to have an honest discussion/debate with someone lol.

Of course we can always dream that a team will buy out their #1 goalie and he will sign here cheap

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:50 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Howard is the only one that I would have confidence in being as good as Dubnyk has been since he became the starter. It's highly unlikely he leaves Detroit for less than $6M.

Enroth would be my pick. Unless some other team is interested in moving a good young goalie.
Tambellini did make a solid offer for Bishop so at least we know he isn't being lazy.

It makes it pretty tough when we can only come up with a handful (at best) of names...and even then what are the chances that:

a) they are not resigned by their current team
b) they are within our budget
c) they are not picked up by another team
d) they are willing to come to Edmonton
e) they can outperform or compliment Dubnyk enough to make a noticable difference in the standings (not trying to pump Dubnyk's tires...just a legit thought)

We would really need a perfect storm scenario to do any better than we are with an immediate impact player (universally...not just in net)...and I am all for kicking tires and trying to improve...that is management's job after all...If getting a guy like Bishop was so easy...he would be here!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
I've never seen anything that has said he has ever been available. Didn't they have goalie injuries last year? And have been grooming him to become the starter. Which he now is.

I guess we could have traded a huge chunk of the future for Varlamov. That's worked out really good for Colorado.

I find it hard to believe that so many people would be in favor of spend $6M on a guy like Smith or Howard, who might be very marginal improvements on Dubnyk. Howard has only ever played on defensive stalwart teams up until this season.
And is worse than Dubnyk statistically this season.
Everyone is available for the right price.

Dubnyk or no Dubnyk we DO need a goalie for next season. I can see the Oilers re-signing Khabibulin. Do you feel comfortable starting next season with a Dubnyk/Khabby tandem?

Anders Lindback was available. Ben Bishop was available. Maybe we can make a move for Mrazek, Vasilevski or Dansk? Roy and Bunz are not ready, and may never be ready. Danis is an AHL goaltender.

Something needs to be done.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Dubnyk or no Dubnyk we DO need a goalie for next season. I can see the Oilers re-signing Khabibulin. Do you feel comfortable starting next season with a Dubnyk/Khabby tandem?

Anders Lindback was available. Ben Bishop was available. Maybe we can make a move for Mrazek, Vasilevski or Dansk? Roy and Bunz are not ready, and may never be ready. Danis is an AHL goaltender.

I hope no one would be happy with Dubnyk and Khabi or Dubnyk and Danis...so by process of elimination you are VERY correct in saying we need someone...

Lets hope management can come up with a solid solution.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:13 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Nice to have an honest discussion/debate with someone lol.

Of course we can always dream that a team will buy out their #1 goalie and he will sign here cheap

That is the plan isn't it? I am sure Luongo is just counting the days until he can move here!!!

Old
04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Sure...1 mid 1st and a 2nd..The first was Forsberg (who would have also being a good pickup this draft but ST crapped the bed ..again). At the time quite a few folks on the Oiler's boards wanted Varlamov because they could see the potential.

How do you think teams get these good pickups but the Oil rarely do? It's great scouting (pro and draft) and top management earning their wages. Hell, I could pick the first rounder every year and probably do as good a job. Just follow TSN's list.
The pro scouts obviously do a lousy job as can be seen by all the vets that everyone keeps talking about.

It's time management and our scouting staff earned some of the damn money they get paid.
The Varlamov trade was unanimously dubbed a massive overpayment. How much success has it brought Colorado? How much of an improvement would he be over Dubnyk, considering he has been junk this year.

You would have traded our 1st and 2nd last year for him? Lololol!

Maybe they should have gotten Lindback, he's been solid this year as well.

Are you also suggesting ST crapped the bed by not drafting Forsberg?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
shoop

Quote:
I hope no one would be happy with Dubnyk and Khabi or Dubnyk and Danis...so by process of elimination you are VERY correct in saying we need someone...

Lets hope management can come up with a solid solution.
Dubnyk/Khabi or Dubnyk/Danis is an absolute nightmare scenario, i.e. the current goaltending situation.

With the current situation the upside is squeaking into the playoffs and a loss in the first round. Nothing more is reasonable to expect. That's why the Oil need an upgrade.

shoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Khabi should be done as an Oiler after this season. But Tambellini seems to take the easy road. His coaching decisions are an example of that.

Lindback has been a bust. I think they figured they had two good prospects already in the system. Roy was very good in the ECHL last year and Bunz was probably the best goalie in the CHL. They also have the two guys in Europe. I was really hoping they get Dansk at the start of the 2nd round. Any of those 3 guys would be good additions but I fear it would cost Paajarvi + and I don't feel they would be ready next year.

I had some interest in giving Mason a fresh start, but he will get destroyed in Philly now. Maybe they grab Jarry with one of their 2nd round picks.

What's your opinion on Enroth?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Dubnyk/Khabi or Dubnyk/Danis is an absolute nightmare scenario, i.e. the current goaltending situation.

With the current situation the upside is squeaking into the playoffs and a loss in the first round. Nothing more is reasonable to expect. That's why the Oil need an upgrade.
Yep our current goaltending situation is a nightmare. It's what is preventing the team from being a true contender.

Solid goaltending is the biggest reason why the Oilers aren't a automatic lottery team again this season.

This team needs an upgrade in every other area besides goal. They have no size in the top 6. They have 0 top pairing Dmen, they have pathetic bottom 6 scoring, the #2C can't play defense or win a faceoff to save his life. The Head coach insists on sting useless players like Potter and Smyth every single night. I can continue the list if things that are keeping the oilers from making the playoffs more than goaltending if you'd like.

Last edited by nabob: 04-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Problem is you want them to upgrade the #1 spot. And find a backup.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
The Varlamov trade was unanimously dubbed a massive overpayment. How much success has it brought Colorado? How much of an improvement would he be over Dubnyk, considering he has been junk this year.

You would have traded our 1st and 2nd last year for him? Lololol!

Maybe they should have gotten Lindback, he's been solid this year as well.

Are you also suggesting ST crapped the bed by not drafting Forsberg?
Have you seen what Varlamov has in front of him in Colorado? He's a good goalie but the Av's D is easily worst in the League. Hell there are probably some AHL defences that are better.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:28 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Upgrading the #1 spot makes it a lot easier to find a backup.

Dubnyk would be fine as the backup except for his salary.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:31 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Have you seen what Varlamov has in front of him in Colorado? He's a good goalie but the Av's D is easily worst in the League. Hell there are probably some AHL defences that are better.
Ya it's almost as bad as the Oilers D has been since Dubnyk got here.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Upgrading the #1 spot makes it a lot easier to find a backup.

Dubnyk would be fine as the backup except for his salary.
Who would be an upgrade at the #1spot that wouldn't cripple our cap situation?

Or are you still assuming a budget run team will buy out their starter who hasn't been as good as Dubnyk has been in the last 2 years, and that he will sign here dirt cheap?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Can we sign two top pairing Dmen and a few big goal scoring wingers to flank Gagner while we're at it?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Ya it's almost as bad as the Oilers D has been since Dubnyk got here.
They were missing Erik Johnson for awhile this season, easily worse then any of our d over the last 3 years which is really saying something.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Who would be an upgrade at the #1spot that wouldn't cripple our cap situation?

Or are you still assuming a budget run team will buy out their starter who hasn't been as good as Dubnyk has been in the last 2 years, and that he will sign here dirt cheap?
Next year is to important to go into without a legitimate option besides Dubnyk. I think if we offer Backstrom the exact same deal that Khabby got he signs here. Then make the choice next year if we want to resign Dubnyk and move Backstrom or let Dubnyk walk and keep Backstrom with a cheaper backup.

Edit: Nabokov might be an interesting option as well and could be cheaper.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
They were missing Erik Johnson for awhile this season, easily worse then any of our d over the last 3 years which is really saying something.
I saw quite a few people here suggesting we should trade for Hejda and play him on our top pairing.

It's bad in Colorado, no doubt, buys its not Alex Plante, Bryan Young, Jason Strudwick, Corey Potter, Colton Tuebert, Theo Peckham bad.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...tml?id=8197756

Flames are pretty bad as well, something we can all agree on and be happy about.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Next year is to important to go into without a legitimate option besides Dubnyk. I think if we offer Backstrom the exact same deal that Khabby got he signs here. Then make the choice next year if we want to resign Dubnyk and move Backstrom or let Dubnyk walk and keep Backstrom with a cheaper backup.
Backstrom will cost $5M minimum. Not sure why he would leave Minny. Kind of sick of signing old goalies who have injury concerns to long deals. It's been 4 years since he has had a season as good as Dubnyk is having this year.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
shoop

Quote:

Edit: Nabokov might be an interesting option as well and could be cheaper.
Great suggestions. There are options out there despite certain posters shooting down any names just because.

I would like to see what Nabokov can do. Might be a re-birth for him.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Great suggestions. There are options out there despite certain posters shooting down any names just because.

Saying that suggestions are being shot down "just because" is very ignorant and shows that you aren't here to have a reasonable discussion.

Do you have any suggestions? Lots of other posters have made suggestions.

A re-birth? more like a funeral! Not a big fan of Nabokov and his 0.906 sv%. That's barely passable for a NHL backup goalie.

Last edited by nabob: 04-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

You mean the 37 year old who has posted similar numbers as Dubnyk the past two seasons playing for a similarly poor team in a worse conference? That Nabokov? Ideas like that make it seem as if you aren't interested in actually improving the team, but have some strange beef with DD.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:43 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
You mean the 37 year old who has posted similar numbers as Dubnyk the past two seasons playing for a similarly poor team in a worse conference? That Nabokov? Ideas like that make it seem as if you aren't interested in actually improving the team, but have some strange beef with DD.
Dubnyks numbers are far superior to Nabokov's this season as well.

I have also heard that Snow wants to keep him around next year.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:44 PM
shoop

Quote:
From Capgeek...these are what I think MIGHT be the best choices in free agency...my opinion is really only that...and could be based on a variety of uneducated, poor choices and random samples!!!

Possibilities:

Backstrom- not happening
Smith (Phoenix) -not happening
Howard (Detroit) - not happening
Emery (Chicago) - maybe...but maybe not a solid choice...a gamble for sure...one I would take though
Budaj (Montreal) -yuck
Khudobin (Boston) - Yes I would...likely...not happening
Montoya - (Rangers) - pretty underwhelming body of work
Leighton - (Columbus) - sure why not

Would want...but Nabokov already said no to Northern Canada I believe...

Thomas no thanks!!!

So Emery, Khudobin, or Leighton in free agency...providing they don't sign with their current club.

Pretty bleak list IMO...
budaj is off the list, re-signed today. Two year extension. $1.4M per year.

Emery is interesting. Could be a guy who gets his stuff together and likes up to the potential. Not likely. Worst case scenario is poor play and poor locker room presence.

Khudobin would be an upgrade in terms of a backup goalie. Not sure if he'd push Dubnyk too hard. At least you would have a good chance of getting 25 - 30 games a season out of him.

Leighton - might be worth a shot.

Quote:
Sign Nabokov to a cheap 1 year contract. Why would that be worse than the backup situation this season? Nothing strange with questioning Dubies weak goals and mental lapses. But I guess you don't believe people should be allowed to have a difference of opinion.