HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th

Old
04-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
The Oilers were effectively out of the playoff run before the Anaheim game. Nothing meaningful left for the team this season.
Yeah: thanks to two games against Van and L.A. where the team was resoundingly outscored, outshot and outchanced. A theme we've seen played out over and over and over again all season long as the team has failed to consistently provide any kind of offensive support.

Quote:
Look at Dubnyk to pad his stats while not facing real must win pressure at any point for the rest of the season
Dubnyk's stats were very good all down the line. Your scapegoating is completely misplaced and irrational.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:58 PM
BowDangles

I feel like Dubnyk takes a lot of un necessary heat from fans in Oil country. Its almost like they don't know what to blame so they blame Dubnyk in a 2-1 loss where he makes 36 saves out of 38 shots...

All year Dubnyk has had a good save percentage. The one and only knock I would have against him is he sometimes tends to let in a goal that really deflates the team. Usually this happens early and because the Oilers are so emotionally fragile they deflate and their compete level drops resulting in losing the game.

None of this is really Dubbie's fault though, every team needs to be able to come back from a deficit in a game otherwise they are never going to be a winning team.. Dubnyk does more often than not give them a chance to win.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Connor McOilers
We have the precious

Quote:
The Oilers were effectively out of the playoff run before the Anaheim game. Nothing meaningful left for the team this season.

Look at Dubnyk to pad his stats while not facing real must win pressure at any point for the rest of the season.
Nothing meaningful? Come on man use your head. Are the mathematically eliminated? Nope, you better believe there's more pressure in that dressing rom than ever.

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Definitely don't want him to suck. Want him to prove his supporters are right. I'd be ecstatic if the Oilers made a deep run thanks to Dubnyk.

This is a critical time for him. If he plays solidly and reliably over the rest of the season with the games counting for something I'll be won over.
Quote:
Thanks for that.

I think the problem is people getting entrenched in their views. Hate on or love in for any player/coach/exec are both an issue.

I definitely don't 'hate' Dubnyk, or anyone else associated with the team for that matter. Just trying to voice my opinion. Like many people here I am passionate about the Oilers and wish the best for them.
Sounds reasonable, but then Dubnyk has starts against Calgary, LA, and Anaheim

Quote:
With the pressure off Dubnyk turns it up a notch. Not actually enough to make the games meaningful again.

Where have I seen this before?
Quote:

Look at Dubnyk to pad his stats while not facing real must win pressure at any point for the rest of the season.
What a joke

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Sounds reasonable, but then Dubnyk has starts against Calgary, LA, and Anaheim

What a joke
You said it was reasonable that I was just a fan trying to voice my opinion. When I did voice my opinion it was a joke. Not sure that I understand this.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:02 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:

LOLIRL at the idea of a goalie 'padding his stats' by stopping 36 of 38 shots, most of which were high-quality scoring chances, against the second best team in the league. Lolwhut?

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 250
Quote:
You said it was reasonable that I was just a fan trying to voice my opinion. When I did voice my opinion it was a joke. Not sure that I understand this.
There's Nothing "Reasonable" in your argument or opinion of Dubnyk. It's like saying Jay Feaster's assessment of Mark Jankowski is "Reasonable"

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Da McBomb

Not gonna complain too much about Dubnyk's game, but I think he needs some work on his rebound control. I've seen too many shots get rebounded right back to the slot and then right back in the back of our net. Dubnyk needs to improve this part of his game as well as working on shots to his stickside.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:33 PM
nabob
:]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Not gonna complain too much about Dubnyk's game, but I think he needs some work on his rebound control. I've seen too many shots get rebounded right back to the slot and then right back in the back of our net. Dubnyk needs to improve this part of his game as well as working on shots to his stickside.
Sure he can work on his rebound control, but it sure would help if the team infront of him could actually cover guys and clear rebounds.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Moneypuck

Uncommon ground this late in the year for Oiler goaltenders.

Oh wait, don't we have a 40+ yr old goalie with the exact same stats. 2.50 GAA and a .923 SV%?

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Uncommon ground this late in the year for Oiler goaltenders.

Oh wait, don't we have a 40+ yr old goalie with the exact same stats. 2.50 GAA and a .923 SV%?
Yeah: in nine games.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
He is part of the problem with extended cycles in the Oilers zone. Just as the defence is.

Definitely don't want him to suck. Want him to prove his supporters are right. I'd be ecstatic if the Oilers made a deep run thanks to Dubnyk.

This is a critical time for him. If he plays solidly and reliably over the rest of the season with the games counting for something I'll be won over.

I gave you credit for saying this...but now I have a hard time seeing you continue to chop down one of the few guys on our team who has played well...I haven't seen the "soft" goals that were happening earlier in the year...I have watched this guy continue to improve both his game and his save percentage...I know, I know...you say it is a meaningless stat because he passes the puck back to the opposition so they can shoot soft shots back at him. Dont forget to count posts as lucky too...because only the "soft" goalies ever let the puck hit the post...

However...he has been one of the only players who have brought it, consistently down the stretch...

Last night he had a monster of a game and the rest of the team (minus T. Hall) stunk the joint out...

You asked him to prove himself down the stretch...and he has been...but you continue to dump on the guy...be happy we have this "problem" on our team...there are plenty of worse options out there...

.923 today FWIW (Roloson was .927...in the playoffs...lights out...and is the highest ever recorded by an Oiler for either reg. season or playoffs...but there is no corelation between the stat and the level of play...)

Cut the guy some slack...he has been everything we could have hoped for and more...and CERTAINLY not the reason the Oilers will very likely fall short of the playoffs.

Last edited by actionjackson: 04-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.
actionjackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Yeah: in nine games.
16 wins after 40 games, I guess it doesn't matter who's played what on a team this bad. Never before has your help thingy summed up yet another season so appropriately.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Last night he had a monster of a game and the rest of the team (minus T. Hall) stunk the joint out...

You asked him to prove himself down the stretch...and he has been...but you continue to dump on the guy...be happy we have this "problem" on our team...there are plenty of worse options out there...

Cut the guy some slack...he has been everything we could have hoped for and more...and CERTAINLY not the reason the Oilers will very likely fall short of the playoffs.
Is what Dubnyk has provided all you really hoped for?

Is he earning his salary this season? Yes.

How many games has he single-handledly won for this team this season? Two, arguably three.

I have said this before, I see him in the second tier of starting goalies in this league 11th to 20th range. That's why I think bringing in a 1A type to challenge him is the best route. Goalies are a quirky lot. Maybe a strong second goalie pushes Dubnyk to up his game. Maybe a strong second goalie ruins his confidence. Either way, we will know what we have.

He has proven that he's an ok starter in this league. No one could argue he's an elite goalie or a real difference maker for this team. (Correction, no one can credibly argue that.)

It seems to me that a lot of people defending Dubnyk here would agree in my characterization of him as a mid-range starter in the league and argue that the team would be happy with that. I think the team and the fans deserve better.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Is what Dubnyk has provided all you really hoped for?

Is he earning his salary this season? Yes.

How many games has he single-handledly won for this team this season? Two, arguably three.

I have said this before, I see him in the second tier of starting goalies in this league 11th to 20th range. That's why I think bringing in a 1A type to challenge him is the best route. Goalies are a quirky lot. Maybe a strong second goalie pushes Dubnyk to up his game. Maybe a strong second goalie ruins his confidence. Either way, we will know what we have.

He has proven that he's an ok starter in this league. No one could argue he's an elite goalie or a real difference maker for this team. (Correction, no one can credibly argue that.)

It seems to me that a lot of people defending Dubnyk here would agree in my characterization of him as a mid-range starter in the league and argue that the team would be happy with that. I think the team and the fans deserve better.

Well holy hell!!! I thought you just had a stink on for this guy!!! I would 100% agree that he is a second tier starter in the 11 to 20 range (even save % stats support that).

I will say I am happy with his performance this year (overall)...but I expect more moving forward AND I have no problem bringing in someone to challenge him...anointing him king of the crease might not hurt this team (as in make us regress) but it may not help us move forward either...so in that regard I certainly agree with you.

Likely we are saying the same thing...you are looking to improve all our holes at once (which I am in favor of)...I am saying Dubnyk is not the problem and thus we should be FOCUSED on addressing those issues first...(but I am still open to obtaining better/additional quality goaltending if it presents itself).

In reality a quality management team should be looking to improve at all positions, every second, of every day, at every level of this organization...but whether or not that is happening is fodder for a different thread!!!

Old
04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
nabob

I'm fine with a goalie in his first year as a starter in the NHL being as good as Dubnyk has this year.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:17 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Well holy hell!!! I thought you just had a stink on for this guy!!! I would 100% agree that he is a second tier starter in the 11 to 20 range (even save % stats support that).

I will say I am happy with his performance this year (overall)...but I expect more moving forward AND I have no problem bringing in someone to challenge him...anointing him king of the crease might not hurt this team (as in make us regress) but it may not help us move forward either...so in that regard I certainly agree with you.

Likely we are saying the same thing...you are looking to improve all our holes at once (which I am in favor of)...I am saying Dubnyk is not the problem and thus we should be FOCUSED on addressing those issues first...(but I am still open to obtaining better/additional quality goaltending if it presents itself).

In reality a quality management team should be looking to improve at all positions, every second, of every day, at every level of this organization...but whether or not that is happening is fodder for a different thread!!!
It's not a matter of me having a stink on for this guy at all. Granted when I say I see him in the second tier (11th to 20th) of starters in this league, I see him towards the bottom half of that group.

At a minimum the team needs to bring in someone to challenge him. If a deal for an improvement in net could be done then Dubnyk shouldn't be untouchable.

I completely agree that quality management should be looking to improve positions where possible. It is possible to improve the Oilers in net while dealing with other problems? Yes. I'd love to see the team take a shot at getting Hiller.

I've heard too many arguments in defence of Dubie that blame his issues on his teammates or management. He is not the answer for this team. Tambo be a quality GM and please improve this team from top to bottom. Including in net.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
It's not a matter of me having a stink on for this guy at all. Granted when I say I see him in the second tier (11th to 20th) of starters in this league, I see him towards the bottom half of that group.

At a minimum the team needs to bring in someone to challenge him. If a deal for an improvement in net could be done then Dubnyk shouldn't be untouchable.

I completely agree that quality management should be looking to improve positions where possible. It is possible to improve the Oilers in net while dealing with other problems? Yes. I'd love to see the team take a shot at getting Hiller.

I've heard too many arguments in defence of Dubie that blame his issues on his teammates or management. He is not the answer for this team. Tambo be a quality GM and please improve this team from top to bottom. Including in net.

Agreed...this would make me very happy.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:03 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10000
I wonder if Dubnyk will be going to the WC? Looking at the teams currently on the outside looking in, there's not a lot of Canadian goaltenders available. Ward's on IR. That leaves Dubnyk and Smith?

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I wonder if Dubnyk will be going to the WC? Looking at the teams currently on the outside looking in, there's not a lot of Canadian goaltenders available. Ward's on IR. That leaves Dubnyk and Smith?
Dubnyk will have a good shot at it, as experts are predicting that at this point in the season, he'll be looking ahead to the WC and begin stacking his pads
Quote:
to pad his stats while not facing real must win pressure at any point for the rest of the season.
I wonder who will play in net for Russia?
Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers, filling out nets at the World Championships one goaltender at a time.

Seriously though, Dubnyk is progressing nicely, and I'd like to see him take the reins at the World Championships.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
nabob

Hiller would not be an improvement on Dubnyk.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:27 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Hiller would not be an improvement on Dubnyk.
Of course you don't think so. You have been an apologist for Dubnyk's work and aren't holding him to a standard that's very high.

Quote:
Sure he can work on his rebound control, but it sure would help if the team infront of him could actually cover guys and clear rebounds.
So it's not Dubnyk, it's the guys in front of him. Followed up by this excuse for him.

Quote:
I'm fine with a goalie in his first year as a starter in the NHL being as good as Dubnyk has this year.
Is a guy who started more than half his teams games last year, and 30+ games two years ago really in his "first year as a starter"? No, but that's really the only way someone might be fine with him.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:56 PM
nabob

Quote:
Of course you don't think so. You have been an apologist for Dubnyk's work and aren't holding him to a standard that's very high.

So it's not Dubnyk, it's the guys in front of him. Followed up by this excuse for him.

Is a guy who started more than half his teams games last year, and 30+ games two years ago really in his "first year as a starter"? No, but that's really the only way someone might be fine with him.
- His stats are much better than Hiller's over the past two seasons. Hiller isnt an NHL calibre starting goalie anymore. If you rank Dubnyk somewhere between 11-20th as you have said where does Hiller and his .909 and .911 save% from last season and this one rank?

-You're right Potter, Whitney, Schultz, Rookie Schultz, Peckham, Smid and Petry are clearly a top notch defense core.

- Khabi was the starter last season, he lost 17 straight games and then got hurt...Dubnyk came in behind the same pathetic team and played very well. He took over the starter job by default, starting 42 games in the season, posting a 6-2-1 record with a 1.95 GAA, and a .934 save percentage in March, and started in 12 of the Oilers last 13 games. He didnt surrender more than 3 goals in 20 straight games at one point. He is 6th in Save% this season for starting goalies to boot. Add that all up and he is easily top 10 stat wise for NHL goalies in the last 70 game span that he has played. You can try to spout off some kind of BS that he had no pressure last season, thats crap. any young goalie taking over the starters job for the first time in his NHL career feels a ton of pressure. Especially knowing that the team infront of him has packed it in for the year and he has to do things like not let in more than 3 goals for 20 straight games for them to even have a chance at posting a respectable record. The Oilers rank 26th in shots/G this season and 29th in shots against/G. They let up an average of 5.7 more shots per game than they take, by far the worst ratio in the league. The team in front of him is consistently getting outplayed, yet they are still in the playoff hunt. Every aspect of the team besides goaltending, PP and PK has been amongst the worst in the league this season. They always say your best PKer is your goaltender. So credit should go to Dubnyk for 2 of the 3 lone positive aspects of the team this year.

If you can provide a real example of a goalie that would be obtainable to challenge or unseat Devan as the starter you might start to gain a slight amount of credibility back in this thread. As it stands now you have none.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:34 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
- His stats are much better than Hiller's over the past two seasons. Hiller isnt an NHL calibre starting goalie anymore. If you rank Dubnyk somewhere between 11-20th as you have said where does Hiller and his .909 and .911 save% from last season and this one rank?

If you can provide a real example of a goalie that would be obtainable to challenge or unseat Devan as the starter you might start to gain a slight amount of credibility back in this thread. As it stands now you have none.
Hiller can push Dubnyk. But please feel free to insult me personally. That truly advances your argument.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:40 PM
17Kurri

Dubey is a decent goalie, but until he eliminates the mental lapses he seems to have almost every single game, he won't be the guy between the pipes if we ever go far in the playoffs. He's starting to remind me of Roloson post the '06 playoffs, when he'd either miraculously keep the Oilers in the game until the 59th minute and then let in a softie from centre ice or let in a softie right at the beginning of a game to put the team behind the eight ball early.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote