HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sophomore Showdown: Alex Galchenyuk vs Nail Yakupov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2013, 11:28 PM
  #1
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Sophomore Showdown: Alex Galchenyuk vs Nail Yakupov

Finally, the next chapter begins on October 10th and 22nd, 2013 when the Canadiens will visit the Oilers in Edmonton and about 12 days later, the rematch will be showed in Montreal at the Bell Centre. Galchenyuk and Yakupov's first NHL encounters and hopefully a good show by both players! No doubt!

Let's use this thread to speculate, or predict who's gonna come out as the winner of the two match ups. Fans of both fanbases were waiting for this encounter since the day both players got drafted. It will be fun to see the 1st overall pick vs the 3rd overall, in a All-Canadian battle. I will definitely be buying the tickets for the game on the 22nd! Cheers!



http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/l_fr/s...014&gameType=2

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:20 AM
  #2
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 11,968
vCash: 500
my semi-informed guess is that yakupov is going to break 30 goals (closer or even past 35 i reckon) and end up with more points than galchenyuk. he's gonna play first wave pp time, have semi-sheltered minutes, play terribad defense and ultimately finish with close to even but probably in the minus +/- stat.

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:51 AM
  #3
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al
 
JusticeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Charlottetown
Country: Canada
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
What I get from twitter (and the very little Russian I know, aka no Russian), they appear to still be very good friends. With that said, it doesn't really mean anything, even family can be hard on each other in games.

Two intense athletes with different skillsets, would love to see a show with both racking up huge points each game, just feeding off the hype, and crowd, which they seem to love. Should be great.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
  #4
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,415
vCash: 500
Hopefully Galchy goes back to #94

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:52 AM
  #5
dreamingofdrouin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
We got the best player in the draft IMO.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:57 AM
  #6
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,342
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Hopefully Galchy goes back to #94
Oh Christ, not this again.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:16 AM
  #7
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Yakupov will definitely finish with more points IMO. I could see him having a huge season.
My prediction:
Galchenyuk - 40-50 points
Yakupov - 70 points

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:50 PM
  #8
Tyson
Registered User
 
Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Agree that Yakupov gets more points as he will probably average 4 minutes more of ice time and get more PP Time. Gally will continue being sheltered and get "safe" minutes. In the long run I believe Gally is the more complete player. Yakupov will be fun to watch.

Tyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:04 PM
  #9
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
I think Gally will start as a 3rd liner, but coaches and fans will quickly realize that he doesn't belongs there so MT will move him up on the top 6 after 10 games or so.
I don't know who will fall to the 3rd line but it could be Bourque or Pacioretty if one of them start slowly.
I expect him to finnish the season as a center at least after the trade deadline depending on our standings, but one day for sure, he will need to make the jump.
I'm also pretty sure he won't regress this year because his 2013 season wasn't super amazing with the Habs... he was scoreless for around 20 games. He still has a lot to prove.

For Yaky, I agree with
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
my semi-informed guess is that yakupov is going to break 30 goals (closer or even past 35 i reckon) and end up with more points than galchenyuk. he's gonna play first wave pp time, have semi-sheltered minutes, play terribad defense and ultimately finish with close to even but probably in the minus +/- stat.
Yakupov: 33 goals - 24 assists - 57 points
Galchenyuk: 22 goals - 35 assists - 57 points

It's a tie!!!


Last edited by FrontierPsyCHiatrist*: 08-01-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar
FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:22 PM
  #10
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
It's not a direct competition and I don't care who finishes with more points. I might care if Yakupov had gone to the Bruins or Leafs. I'm glad the Habs were in a position to draft Galchenyuk, although I wish it had been because of a previous trade, not an abysmal 28th place finish.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:03 PM
  #11
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,583
vCash: 500
Yakupov would likely outpoint Galchenyuk by a lot next season. I'd be shocked if Galchenyuk was given more offensive minutes any time soon as we have multiple players in the top 6 requiring a lot of soft offensive minutes + PP time. Yakupov is pretty much guaranteed these minutes.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:37 PM
  #12
Scuba-Steve
Registered User
 
Scuba-Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Québec
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
I think Gally will start as a 3rd liner, but coaches and fans will quickly realize that he doesn't belongs there so MT will move him up on the top 6 after 10 games or so.
I don't know who will fall to the 3rd line but it could be Bourque or Pacioretty if one of them start slowly.
I expect him to finnish the season as a center at least after the trade deadline depending on our standings, but one day for sure, he will need to make the jump.
I'm also pretty sure he won't regress this year because his 2013 season wasn't super amazing with the Habs... he was scoreless for around 20 games. He still has a lot to prove.

For Yaky, I agree with


Yakupov: 33 goals - 24 assists - 57 points
Galchenyuk: 22 goals - 35 assists - 57 points

It's a tie!!!
I can't believe how underappreciated Pacioretty is by Habs fans . You don't put the guy who led the team 2 years in a row in scoring on the 3rd line only after a slow 10 games ! We're all craving for a big scoring foward , believe it or not but Pacioretty is one . He is one of the few fowards on the team that doesn't get pushed around like nothing and is one of the best in the corners . And he is young and signed to a cap friendly contract on top of that .

But you're right let's put him on the 3rd line at the first opportunity .

Scuba-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:27 PM
  #13
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
We got the best player in the draft IMO.
I'm just about positive of that.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  #14
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Hopefully Galchy goes back to #94
Hell no! I already have his jersey with the 27 on the back.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 01:04 PM
  #15
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba-Steve View Post
I can't believe how underappreciated Pacioretty is by Habs fans . You don't put the guy who led the team 2 years in a row in scoring on the 3rd line only after a slow 10 games ! We're all craving for a big scoring foward , believe it or not but Pacioretty is one . He is one of the few fowards on the team that doesn't get pushed around like nothing and is one of the best in the corners . And he is young and signed to a cap friendly contract on top of that .

But you're right let's put him on the 3rd line at the first opportunity .
I think we have enough dept to have a great 3rd line. If Pac start slowly like I said, I don't think MT will let him rot on a top 6 role.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 09:53 AM
  #16
Maelpj*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
I think we have enough dept to have a great 3rd line. If Pac start slowly like I said, I don't think MT will let him rot on a top 6 role.
same thing could be said about Plekanec, Gionta, Bourque, Desharnais, Briere.

Pacioretty is our most dangerous foward offensively, I'm sure MT is gonna let him time to replace himself if he has a slow start. He is our only big bodied foward with PPG potential, the 5 other guys are more in danger than him to lose their job one the top 6.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:08 AM
  #17
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
I have troubles understanding how the two can be compared.
Yaku plays top line minutes including top PP minutes.
And plays a zero defensive game.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:10 AM
  #18
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
We have so many top 6 players that they will put Patches on the 3rd line.



Wow.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:44 AM
  #19
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk is the type of player you need to win championships with. Yakupov is the type of of player that will bring you to the playoffs and then disappear. Imo I'm still incredibly happy with the pick although feeling somewhat sour that I would have picked Yak over Galchenyuk because a year later I really really wouldn't.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  #20
Maelpj*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
We have so many top 6 players that they will put Patches on the 3rd line.



Wow.
Briere, Gionta, Desharnais and Bourque, this is quality top 6 right here.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 10:48 AM
  #21
Maelpj*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Galchenyuk is the type of player you need to win championships with. Yakupov is the type of of player that will bring you to the playoffs and then disappear. Imo I'm still incredibly happy with the pick although feeling somewhat sour that I would have picked Yak over Galchenyuk because a year later I really really wouldn't.
How could you say that about a 19 years old who never had the chance to prove himself in NHL playoff? Yakupov is a really intense player, has a high level of competition, the kids has a monstruous drive to succeed.

Why would you say that? Just because he is offensive minded? Patrick Kane was essential to the two cup runs for Chicaco.

Maybe it's because he is russian? Malkin always been a beast comes playoff time..

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 11:07 AM
  #22
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Jerk Store's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Galchenyuk is the type of player you need to win championships with. Yakupov is the type of of player that will bring you to the playoffs and then disappear. Imo I'm still incredibly happy with the pick although feeling somewhat sour that I would have picked Yak over Galchenyuk because a year later I really really wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
How could you say that about a 19 years old who never had the chance to prove himself in NHL playoff? Yakupov is a really intense player, has a high level of competition, the kids has a monstruous drive to succeed.

Why would you say that? Just because he is offensive minded? Patrick Kane was essential to the two cup runs for Chicaco.

Maybe it's because he is russian? Malkin always been a beast comes playoff time..
Was going to post the same thing. Why do you say that Habiton? Makes no sense at all, like you're bringing down Yak to feel better about Gally...

Anyway, as most others, I feel Yak will outproduce Gally by quite a lot, but I like how Montreal isn't rushing him. Wether he becomes the better player remains to be seen, but he'll be a good one for sure

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:01 PM
  #23
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
You can only shelter a player for so long. Galchenyuk's going to be approaching this season with an immeasurable difference in experience from last season. If he's been diligently working on his fitness/game this summer I honestly can't see him staying on our 3rd line.

I'm hoping to get tickets for October 10th. It should be a hell of a game.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #24
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You can only shelter a player for so long. Galchenyuk's going to be approaching this season with an immeasurable difference in experience from last season. If he's been diligently working on his fitness/game this summer I honestly can't see him staying on our 3rd line.

I'm hoping to get tickets for October 10th. It should be a hell of a game.
I'm not sure if it's about sheltering him. Eller had no reason to not be used in a more offensive role last year, especially with DD struggling. At the very least, Eller should have been given more PP opportunities.
So I have my doubts about how Therrien will use certain players. DD is starting year one of his extension, Briere is signed to 4M. I think he'll be using those guys more, but I'm hoping he won't unless they actually are playing better than the others.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:52 PM
  #25
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
This thread is titled Alex Galchenyuk vs. Nail Yakupov, yet most posters ignore Yakupov. Therefore, it's logical to ask how the Habs would use Yakupov if they had drafted him instead.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.