HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/DAL] Canucks acquire C Derek Roy for D Kevin Connauton, 2nd Round Draft Pick

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Roy deal?
Yes 376 93.07%
No 28 6.93%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
PensFan6687

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
I laughed way too hard at this
Yeah because Clowe's offensive wall is so much better than Roy's... and while adding Clowe is nice, your weakness was at the 2C spot. Now having a true top six guy who has played 1C a lot of his career will mean you have two offensive lines running smoothly vs. the one. Takes some pressure off of the twins.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Uh oh...

He wears #11.

Hopefully he does the honorable thing and contacts the family of Mark Messier to request permission.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
If we move Roy down to 3C, the second line still looks a little weak to me (unless we can get another winger).
same here, also would like to see how Roy does with Kesler, if it doesnt work out then I could see him at third line centre, but I would try him on the second line first to give us a true 1-2 punch

Old
04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
timw33

That's all we had to pay? Great deal.

Old
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
If we move Roy down to 3C, the second line still looks a little weak to me (unless we can get another winger).
Why would Roy be a 3C? That's not his game.. I think Kesler's game is built more for that... Roy goes from a 1C (a couple yeas back) to a 3C.. I don't see it. If anything you can always convert Kesler to the wing and see if that works. I still believe with the right system and linemates Roy can be back to his former pre-shoulder injury Buffalo self.

Old
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefingers View Post
'Bout time we had someone come in to make that a good umber again!
Well if he does wear it I'm sure Gillis will do the right thing and get Wayne Maki's families blessing first this time.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
I laughed way too hard at this
lol oh fans always amuse me. yep, hes now a 0 goal scorer , teams are going after him because theyre dumb and dont belong as GMs he wont help the team offensively that he joins in the playoffs.

Old
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Why would Roy be a 3C? That's not his game.. I think Kesler's game is built more for that... Roy goes from a 1C (a couple yeas back) to a 3C.. I don't see it. If anything you can always convert Kesler to the wing and see if that works.
Yeah, I'm hoping Kesler can move to the wing, he likes to shoot more anyways.

Old
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Hopefully he does the honorable thing and contacts the family of Mark Messier to request permission.

While they still owe Mark money? Not likely.

Old
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Yeah because Clowe's offensive wall is so much better than Roy's... and while adding Clowe is nice, your weakness was at the 2C spot. Now having a true top six guy who has played 1C a lot of his career will mean you have two offensive lines running smoothly vs. the one. Takes some pressure off of the twins.
not sure if you read but i was referring to additionally

Old
Linden

Quote:
Why would Roy be a 3C? That's not his game.. I think Kesler's game is built more for that... Roy goes from a 1C (a couple yeas back) to a 3C.. I don't see it. If anything you can always convert Kesler to the wing and see if that works.
this is what I think will happen, Kesler isn't exactly a third line centre guy either imo

Old
04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I mind, unless Roy is re-signed, otherwise this would be a waste. The team still has holes,
I understand where you're coming from, but we're better off with $5M in expiring contract with the cap going down.

If we were to re-sign Roy, we'd pretty much have to buy Booth out.

I'd rather we see what our options are in free agency over the summer, I still think there will be deals to be had especially for complimentary players in the 3C category.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Hollywood Burrows

I feel like one of the big philosophical questions surrounding this team is whether to play a checking 3rd line centre or a scoring third line centre. Adding Malhotra in 2010 allowed AV to use Kesler as a 2nd line scorer, and the results were outstanding. After Manny's injury things have been in flux, with various players (mostly lapierre and what's his name...pahlsson) filling the third line, most of them checkers. Now we have a third scorer again.

Does this mean Kesler will be taking a ton of defensive zone draws? Looking at Roy's stats, this year he's started far more in the defensive zone than ever before. He's still put up 22 points in 30 games (though his teammates have shot 10.3% while he's been on the ice, that looks a bit high). Does AV want to use him in the d-zone that much? Or does he give that role to Kesler? I think if Roy's role shifts a bit, and AV feeds him some more o-zone starts his production could increase. It at least gives the club some options. It does look like a pure rental, but who knows what will happen in the off-season. If you're going to burn a 2nd round pick (connaughton has zero value imo) better to use it on a player of this calibre than a Nonis-type.

edit: I don't see Kesler moving to the wing. We need centres, people. Look who we have playing in the middle right now.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Well if he does wear it I'm sure Gillis will do the right thing and get Wayne Maki's families blessing first this time.
I think that ship has sailed, besides a players number is either retired or it isn't. We already have a pretty weak amount of retired numbers given the success of this franchise (or lack thereof).

Old
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I think that ship has sailed, besides a players number is either retired or it isn't. We already have a pretty weak amount of retired numbers given the success of this franchise (or lack thereof).
I dunno. I don't think we'll be seeing a Canuck wear #28 for quite some time.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
tantalum

Sorry folks, I refuse to believe they acquired center depth just so they could eliminate that depth by moving a Selke winner to the wing. There is plenty of icetime to go around for 3 good scoring centers...especially when two of those centers play on the same PP unit and they don't like playing Henrik for more than 17-18 minutes.

Not saying it doesn't give them options to mix and match but I believe they want to go with 3 lines that can score with the provision that the third line guy doesn't need to be protected. Roy doesn't need to be from anything I remember....that is the biggest difference between right now and last year with Hodgson. They were worried about Hodgson getting eaten alive (for good reason...he was). I don't think it is any complicated philosophy. The philosophy has been consistent....if you can play offense but not defense you are hard pressed to get ice time. If you can play defense you have a chance to stick around. If you can do both AV will give you the ice time. It's a team built with capable two-way players. That is the philosophy. It's not a hard and fast rule that the first two lines score, third line check and 4th grind. Heck it is usually the second line used for the checking anyways.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:23 PM
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
I hope we can figure out a way to re-sign Roy.
4.5/3-4 year term.

Buy out the underachieving B Twins.

Centre depth, no matter what size, is the difference. We have to stop being afraid of the Bruins. Gillis addressed this problem for the last 2 years, now we need to fill in Skill.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Momesso

Kesler won't move to the wing. We have 2 #2C's now, and Kesler will take the tougher assignments.

Too much pigeonholing going on here.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Sorry folks, I refuse to believe they acquired center depth just so they could eliminate that depth by moving a Selke winner to the wing. There is plenty of icetime to go around for 3 good scoring centers...especially when two of those centers play on the same PP unit and they don't like playing Henrik for more than 17-18 minutes.

Not saying it doesn't give them options to mix and match but I believe they want to go with 3 lines that can score with the provision that the third line guy doesn't need to be protected. Roy doesn't need to be from anything I remember....that is the biggest difference between right now and last year with Hodgson. They were worried about Hodgson getting eaten alive (for good reason...he was).
I don't entirely disagree.

What I will say though, is that I don't know if Derek Roy agrees with you. It's tough to say that even if we can come up with the money he wants if he really will want to be a third line center on any team.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:25 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
^Crazy talk. We won't sign him. He's expecting to get 6 million dollars somehow, and someone will offer him at least 5, which we can't afford to pay. He is 100% a rental player.

The trade is a fair price for the Canucks - Connauton has a great point shot and is a PP asset but has never shown the acuity for playing in his own end necessary to earn an NHL spot. He still has NHL upside, for sure, so he's not a lottery ticket for the Stars, but it's not a piece the Canucks couldn't afford to part with.

As far as Roy goes, he was near the bottom of my list of 5 possible players who could help Vancouver at centre (the top being Vermette and Ott), largely because I thought the cost would be higher to get him (it reportedly will take more to acquire Jagr). Roy is essentially an improved version of Jordan Schroeder - if the Canucks didn't trust Schroeder as a rookie to play significant minutes in the playoffs, and I can see that, this is an easy upgrade.

From here, Roy fills in for Kesler on line 2 until Kesler returns. Then he drops down to line 3 between Hansen and Raymond, and line 3 acts as a "line 2B", another scoring line. line 4 is your checking line. Not sure how that pans out in the playoffs (probably not well against, say, Los Angeles but perhaps better against, say, Minnesota, Detroit or SJS).

But as Kesler's line is often used in a shut-down role anyway, it just makes sense to me. I've been advocating this all year - line 1 and 3 are scoring lines, line 2 and 4 are defense-first lines. First scoring line is Sedins, second scoring line is Roy / Raymond / Hansen. First checking line is Kesler, second is Lapierre.

Either way, if the Canucks don't get healthy again pretty soon, they're out in round 1 regardless, and they just wasted a pick and a prospect. And either way, if they could get Roy for this price, they could probably have gotten Vermette, who for me would've been a better fit for the team's needs.

For me - lineup with Kesler but not Booth:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Higgins Kesler Burrows
Raymond Roy Hansen
Pinozotto Lapierre Weise

Lineup with everybody healthy:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Raymond Roy Hansen
Weise Lapierre Kassian

Amex would be a pretty good line to match up against other team's first lines, meaning the Sedins get either the 2nd line or the checking line. Roy's line gets whoever the Sedins don't get. Can't think of too many teams who we don't come out ahead against in that matcup battle.

Again, I would've preferred to get Vermette, but this has a chance of working. Next up: Ballard and a third to Phoenix for Boyd Gordon and Steve Sullivan.
I hope he signs just because it would be hilarious to laugh at this 0% comment.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Centre depth doesnt necessarily means that Roy has to play centre for us imo, the ability for him to move to centre (or Kesler) means that if injury strikes, we are good. Having capable centres in your lineup is always a good thing

Old
04-02-2013, 01:27 PM
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I don't entirely disagree.

What I will say though, is that I don't know if Derek Roy agrees with you. It's tough to say that even if we can come up with the money he wants if he really will want to be a third line center on any team.
Is there a link to the report of him asking for around 6 million?

Old
04-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post
I hope we can figure out a way to re-sign Roy.
4.5/3-4 year term.

Buy out the underachieving B Twins.

Centre depth, no matter what size, is the difference. We have to stop being afraid of the Bruins. Gillis addressed this problem for the last 2 years, now we need to fill in Skill.
For one moment, I did a double take and thought you were talking about the Sedins.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Kesler won't move to the wing. We have 2 #2C's now, and Kesler will take the tougher assignments.

Yeah, spread the scoring. Pretty nice for the coach to have 3 centremen that can handle tough minutes.

Roy's career average over 82 GP- 23G, 64P

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Roy Raymond
Weise Lapierre Kassian

Something like this...

Old
04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

It's an interesting angle on this trade. Previously we'd been very focused on finding a guy to handle the tougher defensive match-ups so Kesler could focus on offense. But Roy is actually a guy who will help us more on the offensive side of the puck, so Kesler could very well see himself in a more checking-oriented role, while Roy gets more offensive zone starts.

Closed Thread