HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Will Jagr's legacy be hurt after he's retired?

Old
04-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Will Jagr's legacy be hurt after he's retired?

No doubt one of the best players of all time and he's got the stats to back him but I can't help but have a feeling he'll be ranked lower by many people because of what he's done in his career. He's now switched teams 3 times over the last two seasons and many view him as a gun for hire, a mercenary.

Do you guys think his current moves will hurt his ranking once he's retired? I know the question has been brought up before but I'd like fresh answers in light of his move to Boston.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:13 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I think Jagrs legacy has only increased since returning to the NHL. many realize he could have passed Messier and behind only Gretzky in points if it weren't for his three years in the KHL.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I honestly think that the more time passes since his disaster in Washington, that the more people will look back on Jagr's career favorably. They'll see that he had some down years in Washington, but his stats were still pretty good, and they'll forget just what a cancer he was to that team.

I also think that 5 Art Ross trophies look better and better in retrospect, as we see how tough it is now to repeat even once.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Yamaguchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
No doubt one of the best players of all time and he's got the stats to back him but I can't help but have a feeling he'll be ranked lower by many people because of what he's done in his career. He's now switched teams 3 times over the last two seasons and many view him as a gun for hire, a mercenary.

Do you guys think his current moves will hurt his ranking once he's retired? I know the question has been brought up before but I'd like fresh answers in light of his move to Boston.

Jagr sure is a mercenary. But a darn-good mercenary

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

He had a decent year in Philly, but this year he has been more impressive. Who cares if he is not putting up huge numbers? He can still play and is helping out the younger players.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
revolverjgw

No. He's unusually great at his old age and he helps any team he goes to. Philly misses him. He's not even signing exorbitant contracts, he just wants to play hockey for whoever wants him and his standing with teammates seems to have improved tenfold. Everybody talks about how great he is and recently when Fleming died, I heard that story about how how when Fleming was unfairly fired during a game, Jagr refused to continue playing. This the supposed "coach killer". He's all character now, his Washington years being proportionally less significant blemishes on his career.

Staying with one team is overrated. Sakic was ready and willing to jump ship to New York until he got the big bucks. He's no different than Jagr, except for circumstances.

God DAMN it I hate today's trade

Last edited by revolverjgw: 04-02-2013 at 05:13 PM.
revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

I don't know how much say he had in this trade. plus at 41 most stars jump of sinking ships before the playoffs

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I honestly think that the more time passes since his disaster in Washington, that the more people will look back on Jagr's career favorably. They'll see that he had some down years in Washington, but his stats were still pretty good, and they'll forget just what a cancer he was to that team.

I also think that 5 Art Ross trophies look better and better in retrospect, as we see how tough it is now to repeat even once.
Excellent post. Right on the money.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:

I'm sure Paul Coffey's career is looked upon differently because he played for 9 teams, including 4 teams in his final 4 seasons.

He might have the rep as a hired gun over his last few seasons, but if that's the worst thing people are saying, then I think he'll be ok.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Was Hull's legacy for jumping ship to Winnipeg? Still looked upon as a top 5-6 player.

Gretzky played for 4 teams, Coffey played for NINE, Francis 4, Messier 3, Chelios 3, etc..

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Ishdul

I always think this thing is pretty overblown, especially as it relates to guys trying to stick in the league at the end of the career. It's a pretty common occurance in all sports.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I think Jagrs legacy has only increased since returning to the NHL. many realize he could have passed Messier and behind only Gretzky in points if it weren't for his three years in the KHL.
This.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

I think it does a bit, but that's just me. Being a team ***** is a bad look.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
I dont think his legacy for being a loyal player ever has been very high.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Canadiens1958

John Bucyk

Post age 35 few contributed at a team level like John Bucyk did:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...bucykjo01.html

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Big Phil

The first name that came to mind here was Paul Coffey. Still remembered for his great years on Edmonton and Pittsburgh and to a lesser extent Detroit. Rarely anyone holds against him the fact that after 1996 he was a journeyman.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I dont think his legacy for being a loyal player ever has been very high.
Which is largely in part due to the media. He was a great team player in New York, Philadelphia and Dallas this season. For the first 10 seasons of his career in Pittsburgh, he was a great team player as well. The media though, right or wrong tried to tarnish his legacy by overhyping his down season in 2000-01 (where he still won his 5th Art Ross trophy) as well as his 2 1/2 seasons with Washington. His career was basically 18 great seasons (in terms of team play) mixed in with 3 1/2 lower highlight seasons.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The first name that came to mind here was Paul Coffey. Still remembered for his great years on Edmonton and Pittsburgh and to a lesser extent Detroit. Rarely anyone holds against him the fact that after 1996 he was a journeyman.
I must be talking to the wrong people, because people are constantly bad-mouthing Paul Coffey, and I don't understand why.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
MXD

Probably dropping him of 15 places in the next forward ranking, didn't signed/played for the right teams.

Jk. He's 40, and it's not like he asked for a trade.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

He was traded by a team that has decided they are not in a good position to make the playoffs and are dumping veterans for young players and draft picks. What was he supposed to do, invoke his non-existent No Trade Clause?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Actually, many people I know do hold it against him. Even then, Paul Coffey did not build himself a reputation a la Jagr. I see a lot of people complaining about Jagr, saying he's a selfish player and not a team guy, only out for the money. Maybe Paul Coffey was viewed in the same light back then and after it was all said and done, people forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
He was traded by a team that has decided they are not in a good position to make the playoffs and are dumping veterans for young players and draft picks. What was he supposed to do, invoke his non-existent No Trade Clause?
I'm more specifically talking about him bolting out to the KHL, coming back to play for Philly and then leaving for Dallas. Still, I'm simply asking, I personally don't hold it against him but I know others will and I wonder how much of an impact if at all, it's going to have on his all-time rank.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Crease

Playing for the same team your entire career helps your legacy, but bouncing around at the end doesn't really hurt it.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Sentinel

I hope not. He is a demigod.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Totally agree. I respect Jagr more than ever before. I didn't even like Jagr before, but now I just feel like he truly likes the game and is still playing at very high level. I respect him for that.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
vadim sharifijanov

off topic, but just heard this on the trade deadline coverage on sportsnet (panel with pat quinn, mike keenan, neil smith, and brian lawton)--

quinn says he was going to take jagr in the 1990 draft but jagr's agent lied and said he wasn't going to come over, so he takes nedved instead. that agent, quinn suggests, "directed a few guys to pittsburgh," whatever that actually means.

now that's an interesting what if. i think jagr is a superstar easily no matter what happens, but i also suspect he doesn't develop into the near-generational offensive force that he was without learning from and watching mario in those early years. and don't forget that bryan trottier took jagr under his wing that first year too (at the time, trots was sixth all-time in scoring which we kind of forget sometimes). smart agent?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote