HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

08-09 president trophy winning sharks compared to this year sharks

Old
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
hockfan1991

vCash: 500
08-09 president trophy winning sharks compared to this year sharks

Thought on similarities and differences between the two clubs? Many believe that is the best team we have ever iced in 08. How does this team compare.? Which team do you believe is better?

Last edited by hockfan1991: 11-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.
hockfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
This team has better depth up front but that team had better depth on the blue line. Goaltending is probably slightly in favor of Nemo at this point.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
That team had a much better defense (our third pair was a prime Murray and Ehrhoff) but this team has much better forward depth and goaltending.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Gilligans Island

I agree but it wasn't that much better. That D was:

Vlasic - Blake
Lukovich - Boyle
Murray - Ehrhoff

This season:

Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Braun
Hannan - Demers

I'll give the Vlasic (08)-Blake pairing is better than the Vlasic-Boyle pairing now.
Stuart - Braun is pretty close to Lukovich - Boyle. Boyle (08) >> Braun but Stuart > Lukovich, IMO.
I think the Murray-Ehrhoff pairing is close to Hannan-Demers. I think Demers > Ehrhoff (08) and Hannan > Murray. Hannan's positioning is vastly better than Murray's.

What is hard to gauge is Blake and Boyle (of 08) were much better than any D we have now.

That said, if we can land a 2nd pairing LHD, I think this season's D could be better.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I agree but it wasn't that much better. That D was:

Vlasic - Blake
Lukovich - Boyle
Murray - Ehrhoff

This season:

Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Braun
Hannan - Demers

I'll give the Vlasic (08)-Blake pairing is better than the Vlasic-Boyle pairing now.
Stuart - Braun is pretty close to Lukovich - Boyle. Boyle (08) >> Braun but Stuart > Lukovich, IMO.
I think the Murray-Ehrhoff pairing is close to Hannan-Demers. I think Demers > Ehrhoff (08) and Hannan > Murray. Hannan's positioning is vastly better than Murray's.

What is hard to gauge is Blake and Boyle (of 08) were much better than any D we have now.

That said, if we can land a 2nd pairing LHD, I think this season's D could be better.
I disagree with Stuart being better than Lukowich. Lukowich was like Hannan when he was in the lineup. Stuart hasn't been good except for a couple games. And Demers is in no way better than Ehrhoff that year. Ehrhoff was a 40 point two-way d-man that made the power play ridiculously efficient when he stepped on the ice. Demers, right now, is a 35 point d-man that is getting better defensively but not at Ehrhoff's level that year. I can agree with Hannan over Murray and the fact that Ehrhoff carried Murray that year only lends more credibility to Ehrhoff being noticeably better, at least that year, than Demers this year.

Old
11-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That team had a much better defense (our third pair was a prime Murray and Ehrhoff) but this team has much better forward depth and goaltending.

Pretty much. And that lack of offensive depth was what killed us down the stretch (including the playoffs) because once a couple of forwards got hurt we were finished. I'd sacrifice defensive depth for offensive depth any day of the week, which is why I think this this year's team will go down as the better of the two in the long run.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Pretty much. And that lack of offensive depth was what killed us down the stretch (including the playoffs) because once a couple of forwards got hurt we were finished. I'd sacrifice defensive depth for offensive depth any day of the week, which is why I think this this year's team will go down as the better of the two in the long run.
It wasn't a couple forwards. It was about half the forward group that got hurt.

Old
11-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I disagree with Stuart being better than Lukowich. Lukowich was like Hannan when he was in the lineup. Stuart hasn't been good except for a couple games. And Demers is in no way better than Ehrhoff that year. Ehrhoff was a 40 point two-way d-man that made the power play ridiculously efficient when he stepped on the ice. Demers, right now, is a 35 point d-man that is getting better defensively but not at Ehrhoff's level that year. I can agree with Hannan over Murray and the fact that Ehrhoff carried Murray that year only lends more credibility to Ehrhoff being noticeably better, at least that year, than Demers this year.
We can agree to disagree on Stuart vs. Lukovich. Stuart at least has scoring potential. Luko had 8 pts (all assists). Luko-Boyle was a good pairing due to their familiarity. I don't think Boyle-Stuart are a great pairing, nor do I think Vlasic-Boyle are either.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
and part of the defensive core that got hurt. wasn't blake basically also a walking wounded?

i know the forwards,that were hurting were marleau, clowe, heatley, pavelski (i believe)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
and part of the defensive core that got hurt. wasn't blake basically also a walking wounded?

i know the forwards,that were hurting were marleau, clowe, heatley, pavelski (i believe)
Heatley wasn't on the 08-09 team was he?

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

The President's Trophy winning team was the season before Heatley was acquired. In terms of the injuries at the time of the playoff elimination, Marleau still had his sprained knee, Nabby had a strained hip muscle, Thornton had a groin/hip flexor, Blake a foot contusion, Moen a hip contusion, Cheech had an MCL sprain, Murray had a rotator cuff strain, Pavs had a knee contusion, and Seto had a swollen Achilles' heel. To go along with all the other injuries that the team was recovering from. Guys like Grier, Roenick, Goc, Clowe, Lukowich, Plihal were all hurt or coming back...hell, Mitchell's only games were in the playoffs. There were points where their bottom six was mostly AHL callups.

Old
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM
SJeasy

Part of the reason why the team ranked better than this year's team was they were new to TM's system as was the league. The PP was out of sight and the general offensive system was relatively new to the league. It happens all the time when some coach steps in with something new and then the rest of the league catches up.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:57 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:

Or we talking about 08 heatley wasn't on that team

hockfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 01:10 AM
OrrNumber4

Don't discount the defense that year.

2008 Boyle; prime means prime! Murray was also a beast that year. Ehrhoff took a major step-up in his game.

Boyle and Blake that year were probably better than any individual defenseman on the team this year. Ehrhoff was better than his 2013 counterpart Demers. Of course, Vlasic has improved modestly...2009 Murray anyday over modern Hannan/Stuart. Heck, even Lukowich that year was a solid #6-7.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
The Sharks' best defense should be their offense. Roll three scoring lines and a competent 4th line and try to spend as little time in the defensive zone as possible.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 04:02 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

Regardless, there was very little offensive depth on that team. Our top six was great but still not as good as the current group IMO, and our bottom six was a revolving door of awful.

Last edited by Tkachuk4MVP: 11-25-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Don't discount the defense that year.

2008 Boyle; prime means prime! Murray was also a beast that year. Ehrhoff took a major step-up in his game.

Boyle and Blake that year were probably better than any individual defenseman on the team this year. Ehrhoff was better than his 2013 counterpart Demers. Of course, Vlasic has improved modestly...2009 Murray anyday over modern Hannan/Stuart. Heck, even Lukowich that year was a solid #6-7.
This may be true but the team didn't have quite the defensive system like it does now.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Regardless, there was very little offensive depth on that team. Our top six was great but still not as good as the current group IMO, and our bottom six was a revolving door of awful.
Their 3rd line that year was a shutdown line that was moderately productive and JR wasn't too shabby as a producer. They were awful and a revolving door because they all got hurt and missed significant time and never really recovered. The bottom six when healthy was a lot better defensively than this year's version.