HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals/Free Agency and Rumors 2012/13 Part III

Old
04-08-2013, 08:14 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
the folks around here who watched both grow up and play in the local systems would argue this point with you.
Weren't some fans calling RNH the next Gretzky? Or Gretzkylike?

I'm not saying Mackinnon won't be a star. I think all three of MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin(sp) have franchise potential.

I'm editing this. I think Weiss was supposed to be the next Datsyuk.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 04-08-2013 at 08:50 AM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
When Wang green lights a team with a cash payroll in excess of the cap floor please let us know...
He might. Two reasons...
1) The playoffs are a legit possibility. Playoffs = money. You figure 16,000 seats, each person probably spending close to $100 on average (tickets, food, souvenirs, parking etc) and that is $1.6M per game. If they get 3 home games, you are looking at $4.8M in additional revenue. That pays for a quality player. This doesn't include the extra revenue from being in the race down the stretch.

2) The Isles are looking at buying out their lease and moving to Brooklyn in 2014-15. They will want to have some momentum if that is the case.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
2) The Isles are looking at buying out their lease and moving to Brooklyn in 2014-15. They will want to have some momentum if that is the case.
I thought this was the case all along. Isn't next season the last season at the Coliseum before the Brooklyn move? Or have I been misinformed this whole time?

Hershey Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
I thought this was the case all along. Isn't next season the last season at the Coliseum before the Brooklyn move? Or have I been misinformed this whole time?
As of now, there are 2 years left on the Nassau Coliseum lease after this year and the team is slated to move to Brooklyn in 2015-16.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He might. Two reasons...
1) The playoffs are a legit possibility. Playoffs = money. You figure 16,000 seats, each person probably spending close to $100 on average (tickets, food, souvenirs, parking etc) and that is $1.6M per game. If they get 3 home games, you are looking at $4.8M in additional revenue. That pays for a quality player. This doesn't include the extra revenue from being in the race down the stretch.

1 - most likely Wang pockets that revenue without any increase in cash payroll this offseason to "make up" for past losses. This team and payroll may actually make Wang think this team is ready for making the playoffs in a 82 game season - which is very wrong.

2 - that would make sense in many ways, whether the Isles actually execute on adding "brand" players (aka increase cash payroll) is an entirely different story.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:21 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Weren't some fans calling RNH the next Gretzky? Or Gretzkylike?

I'm not saying Mackinnon won't be a star. I think all three of MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin(sp) have franchise potential.

I'm editing this. I think Weiss was supposed to be the next Datsyuk.
How about arriving at two definable costs:

1) His honest value straight up.
2) His overpayment cost.

For example:
5-1sts or
4-1sts & a player, or
3 1sts & a player, and a great prospect
etc.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Can one of you in the Heatley camp can tell me why you want him on this club? I am trying to see the win/win in this and still can't.
I am by no means in the "Heatley Camp". I am however someone who knows the antics of our owner and our GM is creative enough to facilitate something to appease the owner (like acquiring Heatley for a 5th)

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Which is why I think Minnesota will trade Healtey for real cheap(like 2nd/3rd rounder or a secondary prospect)

All that being said not sure I would want Heatley even for free. We probably could find better ways to spend 5M dollars and it would be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole picking him up(ie we need a RW not a LW)
He is currently going to miss the rest of the season with shoulder surgery, just a scope nothing really severe but with that said..

All you Heatley haters need to lay off the meth.. You mean to tell me if we get him for cheap to get the cap hit you won't want him?? Hmm Dany Heatley all star who is 32 yes old or do I keep my 2nd rd and 3rd rd pics?? Better yet lets get Tim Thomas and keep him and not play.

Dany Heatley will be the 2nd best player on this team the minute we land him.

You{MOD EDIT}are the same people people that didn't want Nash and he technically is the best player in NY not named John Tavares.

I'll take Heatley in a NY minute.

:correction looked at wrong stat and will return this season:

Last edited by Homeland Security: 04-09-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Edit
Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:04 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
He is currently going to miss the rest of the season with shoulder surgery, just a scope nothing really severe but with that said..

All you Heatley haters need to lay off the meth.. You mean to tell me if we get him for cheap to get the cap hit you won't want him?? Hmm Dany Heatley all star who is 32 yes old or do I keep my 2nd rd and 3rd rd pics?? Better yet lets get Tim Thomas and keep him and not play.

You {MOD EDIT} are the same people people that didn't want Nash and he technically is the best player in NY not named John Tavares.

{MOD EDIT}
out of curiosity, how often have you seen heatley play recently? if a lot, please provide your scouting report.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 04-09-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Edit
islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
{MOD EDIT}

out of curiosity, how often have you seen heatley play recently? if a lot, please provide your scouting report.

thanks in advance.
Truth- I haven't seen him play once but I'll take him over Boyes on the first line.

He has 1 yr left on his contract and ill take him on the first line and he will be the scoring with JT on a nightly basis.

32 yrs old and a proven scorer.. Last year had 54 pts.. Like i said its the contract you all hate not the player. Yet again I am sure you would be happy with a Brian Rolston/Tim Thomas acquisition to put us over he cap.

I'd take his salary and his proven potential over anyone in the FA market whom we won't get anyway.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:14 PM
cjdv16

I'd take Heatley for the right price and assuming they did their diligence on him being an issue in the locker room / loafing it on ice.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I'd take Heatley for the right price and assuming they did their diligence on him being an issue in the locker room / loafing it on ice.
High Risk... High Reward!!

Old
04-08-2013, 11:28 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Truth- I haven't seen him play once but I'll take him over Boyes on the first line.

He has 1 yr left on his contract and ill take him on the first line and he will be the scoring with JT on a nightly basis.

32 yrs old and a proven scorer.. Last year had 54 pts.. Like i said its the contract you all hate not the player. Yet again I am sure you would be happy with a Brian Rolston/Tim Thomas acquisition to put us over he cap.

I'd take his salary and his proven potential over anyone in the FA market whom we won't get anyway.
i guess what needs to be figured out here is does heatley TRULY represent a better option than boyes? i've watched 3 minny games this year (not extensive viewing, i admit) and have seen nothing from him. anyway, it likely doesn't matter as he would probably refuse to report.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:43 PM
redbull
game on

Heatley is worse than Boyes. Slower, lazier, makes more money - better shot though.

Stay away.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:

You morons are the same people people that didn't want Nash and he technically is the best player in NY not named John Tavares.
Quote:

Also

{MOD EDIT}
I don't think you'll find anyone here who overwhelmingly didn't want Nash. It was more so a combination of absurd asking price by Howson (which ended up being a lot lower), as well as our belief that he wouldn't waive to play for the Isles and Wang not wanting to take on and pay that much salary.

Also, if you want to comment on something, you should probably be a little more informed on it. You can check the Wild board and see how awful and useless Heatley has been.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 04-09-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Edited QP
Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:09 AM
leaponover

Quote:

You morons are the same people people that didn't want Nash and he technically is the best player in NY not named John Tavares.

You would still take him if he went out speeding with Tavares and killed him?

Anyway, yeah chances of that happening again are slim to none, but please don't make it seem like Heatley is a shiny friggin pearl here. I'm not going to say he wouldn't be a good roster addition but you dissing the fans that do think it would be a bad move is not as unrealistic and you are trying to portray it. The kid just has a bad rep and that's all there is to it. It's all on him too, nothing anybody else has done to him. Your being a tad bit judgmental and shortsighted as well.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:21 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:

Heatley:
GP 36
G 11
A 10
Pts 21
+/- -12

If you are going to call posters morons, you should at least try to make your analysis correct. Even Nielsen has better stats than Heatley, and that's saying something. To be precise he would be tied for 5th on this club, and his +/- may suggest what people who have seen him play have said - that he is a lazy floater cherry picking for goals. I've seen him this year and it fits, which is sad because I remember him in Ottawa and he was a different player, certainly more dynamic when playing with Alf and Spezza.

And Dutch, you know I am all for adding a body via trade (2 actually). But not Heatley. There are better ways to spend 5 million. Nash would have been great, except hell hadn't frozen over, which was his prerequisite for coming here.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:51 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
How about arriving at two definable costs:

1) His honest value straight up.
2) His overpayment cost.

For example:
5-1sts or
4-1sts & a player, or
3 1sts & a player, and a great prospect
etc.

After Snow blew off Burke's attempt to land the first overall in 2009, Botta reported Snow asked Burke if he'd move his 7th overall, Snow wanted a 2nd very high pick. I thought he was trying to get into position, to move up for a second top 3 pick. I think the only prospects bought to LI for visits were Tavares/Hedman/Duchene. He couldn't pull it off. The price to land a second, potential franchise player was too high.

If given the choice between Jones or MacKinnon, I'm not sure I'd take MacKinnon.I want both. Each has the potential to become franchise player.

What would I want Snow to offer for the first or second overall?
2013 1st rounder
Strome, who I think has the potential to be an all-star.
Any current roster player not named Tavares or Hamonic.

Not enough? Then I'd hope Snow would show the good sense he showed in 2009, refuse to wildly overpay. Isles are showing good progress in their rebuild, have a lot of positives going on. No need for desperation trades.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:08 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Heatley is worse than Boyes. Slower, lazier, makes more money - better shot though.

Stay away.
I wouldnt go that far. I dont want to make a deal for Heaters, but I can give him enough credit that he is a better player the Boyes. Boyes is not good at all.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Well Heatly dislocated his shoulder getting into a scrum (not even a fight) with M. Vlasic. If you watch the video, do you really want him now?

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Dan-o16

We're having a big debate about Dany Heatley over here?

Look, I don't know what's going to happen... but I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that a Minnesota RW will end up on the Islanders next season. And it sure as hell won't be Dany Heatley!

(Yes, I think PM Bouchard is a possible NYI target.)

Last edited by Dan-o16: 04-09-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added
Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

As long as it's not Danny All Star ****ing Heatley, I'm okay. I honestly don't see us trading or signing anyone this season. We'll see which of Nino, Strome, Nelson and Donovan can produce in the NHL. We're entering an overflow of forwards, and once the evaluation year is over I think we'll ship out one of them plus a 1st and a depth player for an established player.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:34 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
We're having a big debate about Dany Heatley over here?

Look, I don't know what's going to happen... but I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that a Minnesota RW will end up on the Islanders next season. And it sure as hell won't be Dany Heatley!

(Yes, I think PM Bouchard is a possible NYI target.)
What is the 5'10 Bouchard bring that Boyes(with almost twice the production this season), not bringing?

Old
04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
What is the 5'10 Bouchard bring that Boyes(with almost twice the production this season), not bringing?
Versatility, leadership, and hard work. Did you really need to ask?

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:49 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
As long as it's not Danny All Star ****ing Heatley, I'm okay. I honestly don't see us trading or signing anyone this season. We'll see which of Nino, Strome, Nelson and Donovan can produce in the NHL. We're entering an overflow of forwards, and once the evaluation year is over I think we'll ship out one of them plus a 1st and a depth player for an established player.
You nailed it. The big trade won't happen until next off season, or next years trade deadline at the earliest. Next year is a big evaluation year for all players and prospects. We haven't hit overflow yet, and we'll have enough bodies without too many adds this off season.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote