HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals/Free Agency and Rumors 2012/13 Part III

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2013, 09:33 AM
  #651
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
What does everyone expect the defense to look like next year?

With Streit:

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Streit-Carkner
Strait

Without:

MacDonald-Hamonic
XXX-Visnovsky
Hickey-Carkner
Strait
Imo Strait is/was better than both Hickey and Carkner...

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:37 AM
  #652
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
honestly, people need to get over the dollars involved when it comes to professional sports contracts.
Setting aside the money, I just don't think it's a good idea to hitch your wagon to two defensemen in their late 30s.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
  #653
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,185
vCash: 500
Listen, Streit is only doing what any aging quality player does... seek an amount of years that bring him past his point of declining market value as a player.

He knows he's on the decline already. He knows in 3 years he's prime for a buy out. He'll do what is necessary to guarantee that 3rd year and several more millions in his pocket. Most players would.

Isles have a choice -- 3 years or no Streit. Someone will give him that extra year and eat the buy out. You can guarantee that.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
  #654
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,185
vCash: 500
Also, David Clarkson is so my target for the Isles this year. People talk about Ryan Clowe and I laugh.... Clarkson's the guy.

I throw a boatload of money at him and lure him away from NJD. If that means using excess funds from Streit walking, I do it.

He's exactly what this team needs for JT. He's our Gillies. A talented guy who can play, score, and protects your star at all times.

Hit JT so much as questionably and you're going to get run immediately by Clarkson.

Isles need that.

Matt Martin just isn't skilled enough to be that guy.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  #655
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,090
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
if a $5M team captain mark streit can't be signed by the islanders without fear of destroying the nyi's salary structure, there is not a single hope for the future of the franchise.
Do you think Streit is the isles best defenseman?

At 35 yrs old, do you expect Streit's level of play to remain at the current level, for the next 3 seasons?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  #656
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Setting aside the money, I just don't think it's a good idea to hitch your wagon to two defensemen in their late 30s.
Agreed. But short of a trade, what options do they have?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:52 AM
  #657
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,090
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Setting aside the money, I just don't think it's a good idea to hitch your wagon to two defensemen in their late 30s.
With Viz getting a NTC that goes into his final yr, look for Streit to get a NTC from whoever signs him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:59 AM
  #658
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Listen, Streit is only doing what any aging quality player does... seek an amount of years that bring him past his point of declining market value as a player.

He knows he's on the decline already. He knows in 3 years he's prime for a buy out. He'll do what is necessary to guarantee that 3rd year and several more millions in his pocket. Most players would.

Isles have a choice -- 3 years or no Streit. Someone will give him that extra year and eat the buy out. You can guarantee that.
good points. Similar to Gonchar with Sens when they singed him 3 yrs ago.

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
  #659
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
so two options in your opinion: (1) let him walk and replace him from within where the team will miss him dearly (despite what the haters will say) (2) make a trade of picks and prospects for a real replacement for streit which would prevent the team from taking a step back.

now, i don't know about you, but the nyi have given this fan precious little reason to believe that #2 will come to fruition. if they don't re-sign him then, my money would be on the team moving backward for next season.
Streit is a 3rd pairing pp guy at this point. With Viz in the fold I don't see how we will miss him dearly. Donovan could very well be ready to take ownership of that 3rd pairing role. And quite frankly that's probably the best option considering there aren't too many dmen available this summer.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:15 AM
  #660
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Also, David Clarkson is so my target for the Isles this year. People talk about Ryan Clowe and I laugh.... Clarkson's the guy.

I throw a boatload of money at him and lure him away from NJD. If that means using excess funds from Streit walking, I do it.

He's exactly what this team needs for JT. He's our Gillies. A talented guy who can play, score, and protects your star at all times.

Hit JT so much as questionably and you're going to get run immediately by Clarkson.

Isles need that.

Matt Martin just isn't skilled enough to be that guy.
I would be very, very wary of throwing big money at Clarkson.

During the first 4 years of his career, he never scored more than 17 goals. Last year, as a 28 year old, he broke out for 30. This year, he was awesome earl on, scoring 10 goals and 6 assists in the first 14 games. Since then? 3 goals, 2 assists, 5 total points in 28 games.

Let me repeat that...he has 5 points over his last 28 games. Somebody will give him big money based on his 30 goal season last year. Please don't let that be the Islanders.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:30 AM
  #661
BorzNYI
Registered User
 
BorzNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I would be very, very wary of throwing big money at Clarkson.

During the first 4 years of his career, he never scored more than 17 goals. Last year, as a 28 year old, he broke out for 30. This year, he was awesome earl on, scoring 10 goals and 6 assists in the first 14 games. Since then? 3 goals, 2 assists, 5 total points in 28 games.

Let me repeat that...he has 5 points over his last 28 games. Somebody will give him big money based on his 30 goal season last year. Please don't let that be the Islanders.
THIS.

After reading some of the NJ GDT against us in our last matchup, they are sick of Clarkson and would drive him to the airport (or in this case the train station) to get him out of town. I would AVOID.

BOYES 2.0.

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
  #662
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,764
vCash: 398
Just curious what impact a pre-July 1st announcement of an early (2014-15 season) move to Brooklyn might have on UFA signing? IMO it would make a big difference. If the Isles make the playoffs this year, are heading into their final "celebration" season at NVMC, with a state-of-the-art arena one year away, all of that might make the Isles downright appealing to a UFA. And if I'm Wang I want that announcement made early enough to impact ticket sales for 2014-15 (hence the "leaks" of the possibility now).

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
  #663
Oleg4Prez
Registered User
 
Oleg4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
I don't like Clarkson that much, to be honest I really would only like the Isles to go for a true 2nd line center and a 1st line winger when it comes to forwards.

But we also need to take into consideration Nelson/Strome coming up soon. The main focus should be getting quality defensemen and goalie.

Oleg4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  #664
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Isles have a choice -- 3 years or no Streit. Someone will give him that extra year and eat the buy out. You can guarantee that.
It'll be an over 35 contract. He'll count full against the cap no matter what.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  #665
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 9,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
It'll be an over 35 contract. He'll count full against the cap no matter what.
All the evidence points to Wang not caring about that because he ain't spending to the cap.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #666
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
All the evidence points to Wang not caring about that because he ain't spending to the cap.
Which is why I don't see the Isles chucking $15m at a declining Streit.

However, I think cjd is right. Someone will give him that 3rd year. They just won't be able to buy him off the cap because it's an over 35 contract.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
  #667
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Streit is a 3rd pairing pp guy at this point. With Viz in the fold I don't see how we will miss him dearly. Donovan could very well be ready to take ownership of that 3rd pairing role. And quite frankly that's probably the best option considering there aren't too many dmen available this summer.
streit is not a third pairing d-man. i can't blame you for simply restating what other folks around here like to spew. in reality, what the isles coach has done is split all of his d-men up so that he has 3 good units, not two top units to go along with a third that he can't trust.

as for donovan: this is the problem with what i'll dub "the donovan theory." the donovan theory suggests that the youngster can come in and easily replace streit because the captain is merely a "third pairing guy." the problem is that streit is nothing of the sort. he's a minute eater at the nhl level. he is the man on the pp (whether or not people like that doesn't matter). he is the captain of the team. he is not the third pairing scrub that many here proclaim. alas, here at hockey's future, streit's time has come and gone as he is now 35.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
  #668
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Do you think Streit is the isles best defenseman?

At 35 yrs old, do you expect Streit's level of play to remain at the current level, for the next 3 seasons?
that argument can certainly be made, yes. visnovsky has looked quite good, so i could give him the nod but i've got streit right there with him. macdonald and hamonic have been ordinary in the defensive zone so i can't give them the nod, especially when you consider their absolute lack of any offensive creativity. then we have hickey...and i find it simply disrespectful to mark streit to suggest that a guy with 35 nhl games played to his credit is the better blue liner.

now, do i see him maintaining his play for the next 3 seasons? history suggests that this is doubtful. i'll bet on him for 2 seasons, but i would have difficulty saying he's still going to be the man at 38. that being said, does this mean you don't give him a 3 year deal considering that the isles simply won't be able to replace him from within? the buzz from insiders like darren dreger and elliot friedman is that there will be no shortage of suitors for streit if he hits ufa. why? because other teams know what streit can do and his skills are valuable. too bad isles fans can't recognize a good thing when they have it.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:32 PM
  #669
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,090
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
that argument can certainly be made, yes. visnovsky has looked quite good, so i could give him the nod but i've got streit right there with him. macdonald and hamonic have been ordinary in the defensive zone so i can't give them the nod, especially when you consider their absolute lack of any offensive creativity. then we have hickey...and i find it simply disrespectful to mark streit to suggest that a guy with 35 nhl games played to his credit is the better blue liner.

now, do i see him maintaining his play for the next 3 seasons? history suggests that this is doubtful. i'll bet on him for 2 seasons, but i would have difficulty saying he's still going to be the man at 38. that being said, does this mean you don't give him a 3 year deal considering that the isles simply won't be able to replace him from within? the buzz from insiders like darren dreger and elliot friedman is that there will be no shortage of suitors for streit if he hits ufa. why? because other teams know what streit can do and his skills are valuable. too bad isles fans can't recognize a good thing when they have it.
Well, I'm going to disagree with you on the bolded part. I don't think Streit's the isles best defenseman.I think Viz and even Hickey the last several weeks, have outplayed him and I'm a fan who's been calling for Snow to re-sign Streit. That was before the Viz extension, when I thought Streit would take a reasonable extension.

I've no interest in seeing Snow, with his limited budget, badly overpay Streit. After seeing Viz get a NTC, I expect that was one of Streit's demands too. 3 yrs/$15m with most likely a NTC, for a 35 yr old, who's play has declined over the yrs

As for Friedman's comments... there will also be a bidding fight over players like Clowe and Morrow. That doesn't change the fact that those players are on the decline. Buyer beware.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
  #670
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Kind of random, but does anyone see Tim Thomas' contract being moved? Or do you think Wang wants that on the books for another year or two?

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:04 PM
  #671
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,090
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Kind of random, but does anyone see Tim Thomas' contract being moved? Or do you think Wang wants that on the books for another year or two?

Snow has said he won't toll Thomas contract. That would make TT a ufa in July.
When TT and his agent announced he would not play this season, the agent said he wanted to play in 2013-2014, that Thomas wants to play in the 2014 Olympic games.

Daly told the press, that the league will not let Thomas caphit keep rolling over. If he plays next season, his caphit will be $3m, not the $5m it is this season.

Just going by the agent's comments I expect Thomas to be playing somewhere in the NHL next season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:13 PM
  #672
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
there will be no shortage of suitors for streit if he hits ufa. why? because other teams know what streit can do and his skills are valuable.
If it was just Streit, I wouldn't have an issue bringing him on as an elder statesman. But, the Isles also have Vis in his late 30s.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:32 PM
  #673
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,764
vCash: 398
This Streit discussion reminds me of the PAP discussion last year. The issue with PAP wasn't necessarily having him on the payroll this year, it was having that big cap hit for 4 or 5 years. Ditto with Streit. You've got to balance whatever positives of having him next year with the possible consequences of having him 2 and 3 years from now. And whatever money they pay PAP/Streit is money they won't have available to pay someone else.

Three years from now when you'd hope to be contending, if you have $11 million tied up in 2 old d-men who can't play you've got a big problem.

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
  #674
iamtherunner
Registered User
 
iamtherunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Canucks fan coming in peace, just sounding out an idea I had for the offseason. Yes, it's Luongo, but the salaries even themselves out.

To NYI:

- Luongo (5.333 AAV, 6.714 salary until 2017-2018, UFA 2022)

To Van:

- Nielsen (2.750 AAV, 2.5 salary rising 0.5 every season until 2016-2017)
- DiPietro (4.5 AAV/salary until 2021)

total: 7.250 AAV. 7 mil salary in 2013-2014, 8 in 2015-2016.

The Canucks buy out DiPietro. So instead of the Islanders having to do that, they get a very good goaltender. Although Luongo's contract is poor (very poor in some eyes), the Islanders ownership has not traditionally shied away from long term deals. Luongo would be (in my opinion) a very positive influence on a young team. He solidifies your goaltending for the foreseeable future, and he would be a great mentor to a young goalie.

The Canucks obviously get rid of an unneeded goalie and contract. Instead of retaining salary they take back a bad contract. Nielsen gives us a great third line centre, who I have heard from some Isles fans may be expendable.

The Islanders would save money on cap and salary for the next few seasons by making this deal. Considering the move to Brooklyn coming, the Isles should have a better financial situation by the time Nielsen's contract would be off the books to cover 2016-2018, the seasons when this deal costs the Isles more than not doing it.

I understand if you disagree with this, but to me the Isles are a fit for Luongo. This is just a framework I had in my mind, if you think the Canucks need to add then by all means make suggestions. If you have no interest in Luongo, fair enough.

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  #675
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 500
I'm thinking that the Canucks can find a better return for Luongo than a 3C and the privilege of throwing away tens of millions of dollars.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.