HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

Old
04-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Thunderhead

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Fun fact; Clowe is apparently from Fermeuse, Newfoundland, which has a population of under 300.
They do say that travel broadens one.

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
We have 4 games left against our 3 closest rivals who all play physical games against us. Two of those teams are directly around us in the standings (Isles/Devils). Clowes toughness could easily prove to be invaluable in those games.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:54 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingP View Post
is he really better than prust??
how can you ask that type of question.. do poeple really have no idea who Clowe is.. Clowe is what us ranger fans envisioned for Dubi.. prob wouldve played out that way if we kept him..

But clowe to prust? Prust will never put up consecutive seasons of 50+ 60+ 50+ points.. look at the stats and you tell me.. but its not just the scoring potential why we brought him in.. and yes thats more in line with style of game prust plays.. so Prust/dubi hybrid is what he is.. he will be perfect for broadway.. go over to the sharks board and find out who he is... or how shark fans feel about him.. they valued him as much as we valued prust.. he will make us forget what we lost in Prust and surprise us with some offense with grit..

dethomas07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
They traded their first for Kyle Quincey. The posters here would want Sather's head if he made that move.
Detroit has been able to make mistakes like that cause of depth.

The Rangers make moves that dramatically alter their future if they don't work out. There's a difference.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

The more I think about this trade the more I like it. We brought in Gaborik and we couldn't score. We brought in Richards and we couldn't score. We brought in Nash and we couldn't score. Was Pominville, Roy, Jagr, or whoever offensive dynamo we'd have to give up assets for going to be any different? Whatever... the personnel is not the problem.

We absolutely lost some of that snarl when Prust and Dubinsky were let go. With Clowe we get some of that back. The guy has 10x the playmaking ability of a Boyle or a Pyatt, who's ice time will definitely take a hit. And has anyone even MENTIONED his....

wait for it...

JAM!

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

The Rangers make moves that dramatically alter their future if they don't work out. There's a difference.
You don't find this organization to be deep at this point?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
KingP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
when Prust puts up 60+ points, then you can ask that question.

Until then, Prust is not even in the same stratosphere
Well anyway I hope he brings that toughness we need and opens up the ice for others to score. We see

KingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
alkurtz

Last Ranger from Newfoundland was, I think, Darrin Langdon, who was from Corner Brook. Must breed them tough up there.

Newfoundland.....a beautiful place. Besides me, any other Ranger fans ever been there?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
wait for it...

JAM!
On my phone I couldn't tell if that was jam or molasses. Both would be appropriate.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Last Ranger from Newfoundland was, I think, Darrin Langdon, who was from Corner Brook. Must breed them tough up there.

Newfoundland.....a beautiful place. Besides me, any other Ranger fans ever been there?
I have...

Old
04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Would you rather have the picks and Prust or Clowe
Depends on Clowe. If he puts up a 55 point pace, clowe easily

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Yes he will definitely bring lots of....

Click here for Brassard Party
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:10 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Would you rather have the picks and Prust or Clowe
You pose an unfair question to that poster.

How about you ask him with full details....

Would you rather have Picks and Prust at 4 years, 10 million / 29 years old, 6'0 - 195lbs
Prust Reg Season - 306 GP - 28 G - 44A - 72 points
Prust Playoffs - 24 GP - 1G - 2A - 3 Points
Will hit, drop the gloves, stand up for team mates.

or

Ryane Clowe who has a cap hit of 3.625 this season and is a UFA at seasons end. 30 years old - 6'2 - 225lbs
Clowe Reg Season - 423 GP - 101 G - 170A - 271 Points
Clowe Playoffs - 68 GP - 18 G - 27A - 45 Points
Will hit, drop the gloves, stand up for team mates. Was an assistant captain with SJS.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's a pretty bad trade...I don't think much can absolve that. I mean, Detroit doesn't NEED that prospect...but, anyone could have told you that trading Quincey for a first was a bad move, even at the time. He was never anything special, more a decent #4/#5. Had no defined role.

That's not the point, though. Detroit seemed pretty willing to give up their firsts. They've been good year after year.

I'm fairly certain this team has a plan - they must think that Clowe would be a good piece to the plan. They have the parameters of a contract done, based on a pending cap space clearing move in the future. Probably Gaborik on the move at the draft. They'll recoup the assets lost in this deal in the Gaborik deal - either in the form of a high pick or an up and coming player.

The team has identified a core, IMO. Stepan/Nash/Hagelin/Clowe (if re-signed)/Kreider/Miller/Callahan/McDonagh/Staal/Del Zotto/Lundqvist. I think that's a pretty damn good core. Management just needs to get better complimentary players, and maybe another core defenseman. I don't think it's time to "blow up the core" and panic. Some people see this as a panic move, but I don't. I see this as a "we want this guy, and we want him long term" move, which is something Sather hasn't done in the past that plenty of other teams do, and they succeed with these moves. Look at the Kings with Justin Williams. They took a risk on him recovering and staying healthy, and it's working out for them. Clowe is not 35, he is 30. He's had a weak 28 games. I'm not putting a lot of stock in this shortened season, to be honest. It's a weird year.

If they end up not re-signing him? Yeah, this is a bad move - but they reportedly plan to keep him long term. So, for now, I think it's a good move. The Rangers sorely lack toughness, they lack fire. Ryane Clowe gives you passion, fire, heart, all the cliches. He's also a damn fine hockey player.

04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
KingP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Depends on Clowe. If he puts up a 55 point pace, clowe easily
that would be nice lol

will he start tomorrow? dont see why not right?

Last edited by KingP: 04-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.
KingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

Bingo. When you have some of the best players on your team, you can afford to gamble with other assets here and there.

Clowe is 31 years old, he has a bit of an injury problem, he isn't playing well. He could end up being a very expensive rental, or worse yet, he might be resigned, overpaid, and an underpeformer.

And yet none of those downsides to this deal match the real brainscratcher about this.

What happens if Clowe plays up to his previous standards, rips **** up, and Richards and Gaborik still suck? The team won't go anywhere in the playoffs.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
That's a pretty bad trade...I don't think much can absolve that. I mean, Detroit doesn't NEED that prospect...but, anyone could have told you that trading Quincey for a first was a bad move, even at the time. He was never anything special, more a decent #4/#5. Had no defined role.

That's not the point, though. Detroit seemed pretty willing to give up their firsts. They've been good year after year.

I'm fairly certain this team has a plan - they must think that Clowe would be a good piece to the plan. They have the parameters of a contract done, based on a pending cap space clearing move in the future. Probably Gaborik on the move at the draft. They'll recoup the assets lost in this deal in the Gaborik deal - either in the form of a high pick or an up and coming player.

The team has identified a core, IMO. Stepan/Nash/Hagelin/Clowe (if re-signed)/Kreider/Miller/Callahan/McDonagh/Staal/Del Zotto/Lundqvist. I think that's a pretty damn good core. Management just needs to get better complimentary players, and maybe another core defenseman. I don't think it's time to "blow up the core" and panic. Some people see this as a panic move, but I don't. I see this as a "we want this guy, and we want him long term" move, which is something Sather hasn't done in the past that plenty of other teams do, and they succeed with these moves. Look at the Kings with Justin Williams. They took a risk on him recovering and staying healthy, and it's working out for them. Clowe is not 35, he is 30. He's had a weak 28 games. I'm not putting a lot of stock in this shortened season, to be honest. It's a weird year.

If they end up not re-signing him? Yeah, this is a bad move - but they reportedly plan to keep him long term. So, for now, I think it's a good move. The Rangers sorely lack toughness, they lack fire. Ryane Clowe gives you passion, fire, heart, all the cliches. He's also a damn fine hockey player.
Wish there was a like button. Because I don't have a ton to add other than saying, great post.

04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Bingo. When you have some of the best players on your team, you can afford to gamble with other assets here and there.

Clowe is 31 years old, he has a bit of an injury problem, he isn't playing well. He could end up being a very expensive rental, or worse yet, he might be resigned, overpaid, and an underpeformer.

And yet none of those downsides to this deal match the real brainscratcher about this.

What happens if Clowe plays up to his previous standards, rips **** up, and Richards and Gaborik still suck? The team won't go anywhere in the playoffs.
Just because you only decide to mention the possible negative ways it can play out doesn't mean that positive scenarios don't exist.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

If Clowe were to continue the pace of shots that he takes, in order to even out his shooting percentage to his career average, he would have to score 10 goals in our last 13 games. I believe in you Ryane!

Old
04-02-2013, 09:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If Clowe were to continue the pace of shots that he takes, in order to even out his shooting percentage to his career average, he would have to score 10 goals in our last 13 games. I believe in you Ryane!
I was told there would be no math...

04-02-2013, 09:28 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yes he will definitely bring lots of....

What you are saying is then, is that this trade is a slam dunk?

04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I was told there would be no math...
(65 + (65/28) x 13) x 11.9%

Old
04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Barnaby

I'm completely torn on this one... this could wind up being a great move, or a major loss...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:30 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Just because you only decide to mention the possible negative ways it can play out doesn't mean that positive scenarios don't exist.
Which is what? Clowe, Gaboirk, and Richards all magically find their games again and lead this team to the playoffs, and then SCF?

LOL!

Okay.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
And when they re-sign him?
For how much? And how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I'd agree with that if it weren't reported that he wants to resign with the team he's traded to and he clearly had a choice in the destination. I wouldn't look that far ahead yet, if I were you.
Clowe's going to want a top-6 kind of contract for a 30 year old. Too many years, too much money for a player who has had a number of injuries and is still scoreless.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote