HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

Old
04-03-2013, 08:44 AM
NikC

vCash: 500
Love the trade. Always wanted Clowe a Ranger, especially now under Tortorella. He's exactly the type of player we needed. I'm hoping he works out well here!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Again, I got to wonder if the great development of 3 kids in particular made the brass comfortable with giving up the picks.

Lindberg, Nieves, Fast all took big strides.

04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Again, I got to wonder if the great development of 3 kids in particular made the brass comfortable with giving up the picks.

The Rangers have a lot of players who should push for NHL time in the next couple of years.

Lindberg
Fast
Nieves
St Croix
Thomas
McIlrath
Hrivik
Yogan
Bourque
Haley?
Mashinter?
Palmieri?

They have a glut of prospects, they won't have room for all of them.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Love the trade. Always wanted Clowe a Ranger, especially now under Tortorella. He's exactly the type of player we needed. I'm hoping he works out well here!
This post wouldve made a lot more sense in 2010

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
tjs252

I'm really excited by this move. If this is the "system", he's a very good fit. He's certainly going to go a long way in trying to fill the Prust void.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:59 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Playaff poosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We all know Clowe isn't the player he was a couple of years ago. That doesn't mean he won't make this team better. He will.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Crease

Clowe instantly leads the team in jam.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
IF that's what the plan is... then I HATE this trade. If you're you're gonna overpay for a guy like this... Prust was the guy
LOL Prust has and never will touch 50 points. Clowe has 3 50 pt seasons. Let's not compare the two.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
NikC

Quote:
nope, makes great sense today. go piss in someone else's coffee...

happy trade deadline day....

Old
04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 17s
Ryane Clowe on ice for NYR AM skate
On ice

Old
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Wow I'm surprised he's skating this AM. Trade went down pretty late last night (6pm). I'm assuming it took some time for him to get on a flight, so he probably caught a red eye. He must be tired.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Wow I'm surprised he's skating this AM. Trade went down pretty late last night (6pm). I'm assuming it took some time for him to get on a flight, so he probably caught a red eye. He must be tired.
Guy who wants to do everything possible to fit in and compete.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Jersey Girl

During the Ottawa series last year I said 'we need a guy like Chris Neil' - well, we just got a guy like Chris Neil. A guy who makes the other team uncomfortable (in an normal hockey, non-Sean Avery kinda way) brings the jam we need, good hands, and enough skating ability to play a regular shift. Check, check, check and check.

I watch a lot of Shark games and, assuming Clowe is healthy, he'll be a nice addition. So this will help short-term, especially if he regains his scoring touch.

That said, as much losing Prust created a sandpaper void, this does not address our biggest need. I will reserve judgement until after 3PM, but if this is our only addition...I don't get it.

I just don't see that adding a guy like Clowe for 13 GAMES, and possibly a playoff series, is worth giving up anything of future value. You can debate the value of future draft picks all you like, but the bottom line is the more picks you have the better chance of landing a Derek Stepan, Carl Hagelin, Ryan Callahan or Henrik Lundvist with a later round draft pick.

As much as the draft is a crapshoot, the more rolls of the dice you have, the better chance you have of rolling a seven.

And for those who think a good part of the deal is that now we may be able to sign Clowe to a long-term contract...ugh. Nothing is more scary than Sather with a long-term contract offer in his hand. Do we not learn anything?

Clowe is already showing signs of slowing down, and we want to throw money at him? In a league where the salary cap is falling next year?

We need to DRAFT a guy like Ryan Clowe (sixth round draft pick) instead of signing him when he begins heading downhill.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
On ice
Speaks to his character, whereas, Jagr took the night off, went home and will catch a flight to Boston at some point today. Guys on the ice pay attention to little things like that....

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Speaks to his character, whereas, Jagr took the night off, went home and will catch a flight to Boston at some point today. Guys on the ice pay attention to little things like that....
great players lead by example and our 'stars" need to take notice....

except Nash who has been VG.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50

04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
swoon

04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
bernmeister

Although we could still get lucky, IMO this was a bad move.

In a deep draft, esp, since we have no first, trading the 2nds and 3rds was not a good move. Such picks could be as high as late first value falling due to numbers or other overrated factors.

I'm glad there was no immediate extension, but let's remember we didn't force Columbus to eat Redden's contract as part of the deal when we took on upwards of 80 mil in commitment for Nash, and regardless of to what extent Richards rebounds, if at all, we have to use the amnesty by certain time next season, or lose it. We can't risk Richards down the road, so he must be amnestied. That's our two. If we sign Clowe for anything other than a bonus heavy performance based deal, we are at unacceptable risk for eating guaranteed contract minimums and more down the road.

But the biggest question is how much does he have left in the tank? While the lack of goals is disconcerting, the question of reduced foot speed is scary.

Conclusion adding up the above: high risk, minimal gain, bad move.

Let's be honest.
Slats foolishly did this because he was desperate.
He wanted to at least get some playoff revenue, esp. after the buy out, and this is a last ditch effort to do so while justifying he gave enough support for Torts, who has to go sooner than later.

While we can still make good moves at the draft, moving Gabby when his value is higher for this year's playoffs was the way to go.

And Torts must be fired. Even allowing all other debate nothwithstanding, in a season like last year where he got lucky, minimal injuries, etc. this team, because of this system, cannot FINISH to advance to win the Cup.

Tell it like it is, let your conscience be your guide.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
h0ckeyman

If he's skating this morning the chances are that he will play tonight, no?

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord
Clowe says he hopes he's not a rental. Said he felt coming to Rangers fit him best. Trying to re-find game in East part of it.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Im not going to force myself to like this acquisition.

I think its desperate and, most importantly, does not even begin to address the real problems with this team.

I also think its ridiculous that some folks are rejoicing, acting like we got the Ryane Clowe of 3 or 4 years ago, when he was actually a difference maker.
Yep. It's such a Ranger move, how could it fail right? Meanwhile, somehow one player will make us 'tough to play against..like the Bruins!', and it will get all the underachievers to start doing their jobs. Is there a Ryan Clowe of the front office world, we could use him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yes, the odds are against getting an NHL player with a 2nd round or later pick. But the more picks you have, the better chance you have. And the Rangers have been good at finding players of late.

We have no 1st or 2nd round pick. We gave up florida's 3rd, which will likely be the 1st or 2nd pick in the round. This is one of the deepest drafts since 2003 and we have a very real chance of coming out of it with 0 NHL players.

Maybe the plan is to trade Gabby for picks at the draft. If so, then this deal makes some sense. But worst case scenario is that Clowe doesn't return to form and that we can't trade Gabby. If that happens, what do we do? Amnesty Richards to re-sign Clowe? Let Clowe walk?

I'm still on the fence about this. I need to see Clowe in action before I decide if this is a good or bad deal for us.
Excellent post from one of our seasoned vets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 43s
Ryane Clowe will wear his No. 29 in NY; other ex-Rangers with those digits: Al Montoya, Lauri Korpikoski, Reijo Ruotsalainen, Rudy Poeschek!
I love that number, great choice.

Quote:

Absolutely. If not for Lindberg and Fasth this trade would seem totally insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers have a lot of players who should push for NHL time in the next couple of years.

Lindberg
Fast
Nieves
St Croix
Thomas
McIlrath
Hrivik
Yogan
Bourque
Haley?
Mashinter?
Palmieri?

They have a glut of prospects, they won't have room for all of them.
Quote:
Guy who wants to do everything possible to fit in and compete.
They won't need room for all of them, they're not all gonna make it and if they do the timing will determine their fate. Haley, Mash, Palm are ahl fodder, nothing more. Also, theres not a whole bunch of guys in there I can see being top line forwards. That could change but still, if thats the future of NY we are thinner than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
We need to DRAFT a guy like Ryan Clowe (sixth round draft pick) instead of signing him when he begins heading downhill.
What a novel idea.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Clowe says he hopes he's not a rental. Said he felt coming to Rangers fit him best. Trying to re-find game in East part of it.
I hope he isn't a rental either. He could go a long way to helping this team win.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Nice, that means he'll take a discount right?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nice, that means he'll take a discount right?
My thoughts exactly.

04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
They won't need room for all of them, they're not all gonna make it and if they do the timing will determine their fate. Haley, Mash, Palm are ahl fodder, nothing more. Also, theres not a whole bunch of guys in there I can see being top line forwards. That could change but still, if thats the future of NY we are thinner than I thought.
I did not include Kreider and Miller who are already up. If they re-sign Clowe, that leaves how many spots for someone to take? Nash, Stepan, Callahan, Hagelin, Clowe, Kreider, Miller. Boyle? Richards?

They will be fine. They have young players who can fill in the holes for now and in the near future.