HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 01:05 PM
outoftune

vCash: 500
All Trade Deadline Talk

So were currently dead last in the conference, and I'm wondering how far will the avs need to fall to be sellers at the deadline,

Currently we have

10 games before the third

2 each vs. Dallas, Vancouver, and Nashville,
and rounded out with Chicago, Calgary, Minnesota, and Detroit

We are six points out and depending on how we do in the next few weeks will influence where we sit for the deadline. It seems we could end up over 16 points out, or about six points in by early april.

So how many points would it have to be for us to sell and who would you want to go.

Personally I would set the line at 6 pnts out or worse than 12th in the west, and I would be fine with seeing anyone (or all of) outside of landy, dutch, Ror, PAP, EJ, Barrie, and varly

Old
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

It doesn't matter how far in or out we are IMO. We need to move certain guys that aren't playing well to give our youngsters a better opportunity.

Obyrne, Zanon, and Hunwick all need to go. They likely wont all go, but 2/3 at least should be moved for picks at the deadline.

As for forwards. We wont see any of our Top 6 Wingers moved(McGinn, PAP, Landy, Hejduk). Jones might get moved but its unlikely. Duchene, ROR, and Stastny wont be traded either.

Kobasew could get moved for a mid pick. McCleod usually brings a tonne of interest from other teams every year at the deadline, he or Bordeleau could get moved if a team gets desperate for grit.

Other then that. I would expect a very slow deadline for us regardless of where we are in the Standings. Nothing more then depth forwards or depth Dmen moved. Most of our core is still fairly new and wont be moved until we have a better understanding of what they bring.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

Unless other teams want our worst performing players i don't see any reason to make big changes at the deadline, we are not making the playoffs anyway (the way we are playing right now)

The way I see it, we shouldn't trade a bad player for another bad player.. Let's see if we can get any players that can make our team better

Last edited by Teuras: 03-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Colorado Avalanche

We don't have anything to sell. Maybe O'Byrne, but other than that it's pretty empty. Maybe someone would take Kobasew for 5th round pick or something. O'Byrne for 3rd round pick etc.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Try to move some of the depth defensemen we have on the roster (O'Byrne is the most likely candidate), move Kobasew for a pick (bring up Malone to replace him) and try to get rid of Jones.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Foppa2118

If teams have been watching the Avs the last five games or so, some eastern playoff team will take Kobasew for a mid to late round pick.

Unfortunately, on the opposite end, if teams have been watching the last five games or so, O'Byrne, Zanon, and Hunwick will have almost no interest from other teams.

O'Brien could have some interest, but he's actually been playing better out there. Definitely better than the previous three. Hejda may have some interest, but losing him would really hur the team defensively.

Other than that, I think any move we see will be a roster shake up kind of move. Sherman does like to do the half sell mode, half buy mode kind of trade deadlines. Dumping guys like O'Byrne, and Kobasew, but then making a bit of an unexpected deal for the future like for Downie or McGinn.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Kobasew and a defenseman for picks. And if Hejduk wants, traded to a contender for a 1st.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:42 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 50
My hopes (expected maybe 2 of these actually happen or a combination of these)
-Jones for a 2nd seems to be a lot of teams looking for another RW with scoring potential
-ROB for 3rd
-Kobasew for a 3rd
-Hunwick for FWD prospect
-Bordeleau for FWD prospect

Old
03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
cgf

Nothing major but I could see the team moving some of our lower Dmen and Highlander for picks/other team's underperformers trying to find some more gems to add to the collection for this summer.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
I'd happily waive Zanon at this point. I've never seen a defender make so many stupid passes with zero pressure on them.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Hesher
down on the upside

vCash: 1060
Try to find a GM drunk enough to trade anything valuable for Jones.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:58 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If the Avs are able to move the majority of Jones, O'Brien, O'Byrne, and Zanon I'll be happy.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
If the Avs are able to move the majority of Jones, O'Brien, O'Byrne, and Zanon I'll be happy.
maybe one of them , but the majority i dont think so .

Old
03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If teams have been watching the Avs the last five games or so, some eastern playoff team will take Kobasew for a mid to late round pick.

Unfortunately, on the opposite end, if teams have been watching the last five games or so, O'Byrne, Zanon, and Hunwick will have almost no interest from other teams.

O'Brien could have some interest, but he's actually been playing better out there. Definitely better than the previous three. Hejda may have some interest, but losing him would really hur the team defensively.

Other than that, I think any move we see will be a roster shake up kind of move. Sherman does like to do the half sell mode, half buy mode kind of trade deadlines. Dumping guys like O'Byrne, and Kobasew, but then making a bit of an unexpected deal for the future like for Downie or McGinn.
The Avs should be willing to move any defenseman in the organization (NHL or otherwise) except EJ and Barrie. If you want to throw Siemens in there also, fine. But anyone and everyone else is moveable, IMO.

O'Byrne is by far the most moveable player, IMO. Just due to his contract. Hejda won't be moved for the same reason.

And Hunwick and Zanon also have an additional contract year, which will inhibit their moving. They both outright suck also, which isn't good for a deadline deal.

Last edited by ABasin: 03-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 06:17 PM
hockeyfish

I could see them trading Giguere if a team offered a 2nd pick or something like that.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:18 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

When one looks at deadline trades, several things come to mind in terms of potential return - scoring ability, defensive ability, grit, and of course, contract.

IMO, given those factors, there are a number of players that the Avs would likely not mind losing, but the return could be mixed (for example, Hejda's a good player, but he's still got 2 years of a pretty hefty contract, and he's in his mid-30s).

So, here are the players that I think the Avs should trade, and get the most bang for their buck:

- Hejduk. ****** the nostalgia. He'd bring a decent return.
- Mitchell. Forget how good he's been here - he has a very affordable $1.1M number, and he's worth it. The Avs could get a nice pick for him. Since the Avs will likely go the stupid nostagia route with Hejduk, this is the guy they should shop.
- McLeod. I'm serious. He's a solid 4th line guy, and again affordable. And with Bordeleau on board, why do the Avs need him? He loses just about every fight anyway, and Palushaj (or any one of dozens of annual UFA 4th line guys) could fill his spot.

Each of these players will bring a LOT more than scrubs like Kobasew or Hunwick or Zanon will bring. Especially since the latter two somehow have another year on their contracts, which will greatly inhibit moving them.

The other player to move is O'Byrne. He's big, can PK at least marginally well, and would likely look fine as a 3rd pairing guy on a contending team like NYR or Chicago. He'd bring a decent return also.

Last edited by ABasin: 03-16-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 06:21 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
It doesn't matter how far in or out we are IMO. We need to move certain guys that aren't playing well to give our youngsters a better opportunity.
But that's not how you get good return. You need to move players who are playing well, but aren't in your plans 2/3 years down the road. Moving scrubs usually gets you more scrubs.

I suspect this will garner a whole lot of objection in here, but IMO the best return the Avs can get, is to move Mitchell at the deadline. He's a career depth forward, currently scoring at a pace that FAR exceeds anything he's ever done at the NHL level. He's tough, plays decent defense, and (this season at least) is scoring nicely. He also carries a $1.1M cap number. And is he really a core part of the plans several years down the road?

Move him at the deadline. They should be able to get a decent pick or prospect in return.

Last edited by ABasin: 03-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
When one looks at deadline trades, several things come to mind in terms of potential return - scoring ability, defensive ability, grit, and of course, contract.

IMO, given those factors, there are a number of players that the Avs would likely not mind losing, but the return could be mixed (for example, Hejda's a good player, but he's still got 2 years of a pretty hefty contract, and he's in his mid-30s).

So, here are the players that I think the Avs should trade, and get the most bang for their buck:

- Hejduk. ****** the nostalgia. He'd bring a decent return.
- Mitchell. Forget how good he's been here - he has a very affordable $1.1M number, and he's worth it. The Avs could get a nice pick for him. Since the Avs will likely go the stupid nostagia route with Hejduk, this is the guy they should shop.
- McLeod. I'm serious. He's a solid 4th line guy, and again affordable. And with Bordeleau on board, why do the Avs need him? He loses just about every fight anyway, and Palushaj (or any one of dozens of annual UFA 4th line guys) could fill his spot.

Each of these players will bring a LOT more than scrubs like Kobasew or Hunwick or Zanon will bring. Especially since the latter two somehow have another year on their contracts, which will greatly inhibit moving them.

The other player to move is O'Byrne. He's big, can PK at least marginally well, and would look quite fine as a 3rd pairing guy on a contending team like NYR or Chicago. He'd bring a decent return also.
Even if you could care less about Hejduk retiring an Av, he's got a no movement clause, and it's pretty clear this is his last year and has never wanted to go anywhere else just to win another cup.

I do agree though an eastern team might think O'Byrne would fit in better with them, despite him playing poorly here. I don't think we can get much of a return though. 5th rounder IMO maybe a 4th if Sherman waits till the last second and risks getting nothing. If he hadn't been playing so poorly, and getting scratched, I think they could have got a 2nd or 3rd for him.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I could see them trading Giguere if a team offered a 2nd pick or something like that.
Last year , Toronto had some interest . Maybe they still do , but i doubt it since Burke isnt there anymore .

Old
03-16-2013, 06:33 PM
avsfan89

We will do absolutely nothing.

At most we trade O'byrne. Jones isn't going anywhere due to politeness that he chose the Avs during his UFA eligibility. If he is traded his first year of a 4 year contract itll send a huge message to future ufa's to not come here.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:34 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Even if you could care less about Hejduk retiring an Av, he's got a no movement clause, and it's pretty clear this is his last year and has never wanted to go anywhere else just to win another cup.

I do agree though an eastern team might think O'Byrne would fit in better with them, despite him playing poorly here. I don't think we can get much of a return though. 5th rounder IMO maybe a 4th if Sherman waits till the last second and risks getting nothing. If he hadn't been playing so poorly, and getting scratched, I think they could have got a 2nd or 3rd for him.
I don't mind Hejduk retiring as an Av. I simply believe that the team should do what's best for their future, and move him for assets. If he plays for a month or three somewhere else, it doesn't mean he can't retire as an Av and have his jersey jacked up into the rafters.

If he refuses, then he refuses. *shrug* Onward from there then. But they should try.

Otherwise, O'Byrne and Mitchell are easily the most moveable assets the Avs have - at least the most moveable that they'd be willing to move (excluding obvious ones like McGinn, Duchene, etc.). I believe they'd both bring solid return.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

If Kobasew, Hunwick, O'Byrne, and Zanon are still here by the time the deadline passes, I'll be sorely disappointed.

If Barrie or Elliott are traded before the deadline I'll be furious.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:38 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
If Kobasew, Hunwick, O'Byrne, and Zanon are still here by the time the deadline passes, I'll be sorely disappointed.

If Barrie or Elliott are traded before the deadline I'll be furious.
Hunwick and Zanon will be quite difficult to move, IMO.

Kobasew shouldn't be hard to move, but won't likely bring decent return.

O'Byrne should bring solid return.

If they have to move Elliott along with one of the scrubs to get a good return, I'd be OK with it (as long as Barrie stays), but the return would have to be really good.

The Avs shouldn't be moving any potentially good future players, unless the return is is both obvious and good.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I don't mind Hejduk retiring as an Av. I simply believe that the team should do what's best for their future, and move him for assets. If he plays for a month or three somewhere else, it doesn't mean he can't retire as an Av and have his jersey jacked up into the rafters.

If he refuses, then he refuses. *shrug* Onward from there then. But they should try.
There's no point now. A couple years ago they could have gotten something decent for him but they didn't want to trade him and he most likely didn't want to go anywhere. Now he barely cracks the top nine on the Avs so maybe he would be a 4th liner on a contender? I doubt he has much value.

I would also be a little annoyed if agrees to a trade now when they could have done it a couple years ago and gotten a 2nd round pick in return. Keep him and just let him finish his career playing for one team.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

I expect one of Barrie/Elliott to be traded.
I expect one of McLeod/Kobasew/Olver to be traded.
I expect one of O'Byrne/O'Brien/Hunwick to be traded.
You can sprinkle in some career minor leaguers or depth prospects (Thomas, Walker, Chouinard, Millan) and draft picks as well.

Closed Thread