HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ilya Kovalchuk vs Patrick Kane

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?
Ilya Kovalchuk 221 64.06%
Patrick Kane 124 35.94%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2013, 11:25 PM
lboogie42*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Ilya Kovalchuk = The best wrist shot in NHL.
May be overdoing it there. I love Kovy and the devils, and Kovy has a great wrister, but I don't think he has the best one.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:43 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
May be overdoing it there. I love Kovy and the devils, and Kovy has a great wrister, but I don't think he has the best one.
Kovy does not have the best wrister but he does indeed have the most lethal package of shots since his wrister slapper and snap shot are all top 5 in the league.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
Coula, Woulda, Shoulda.

He didn't win the Cup, he didn't win the Smythe. That's the bottom line and that's all that's important.
I'm glad you aren't an NHL GM.

Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
That's nice. Kovalchuk is still a better player.
Yeah, Kovalchuk's a nice regular season player. If you're in the business of trying win meaningful titles, Patrick Kane works better.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
Coula, Woulda, Shoulda.

He didn't win the Cup, he didn't win the Smythe. That's the bottom line and that's all that's important.
Al Davis became a hockey fan in the afterlife.

Wal Nichushkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Ilya Kovalchuk = The best wrist shot in NHL.
OV's is better imo.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Easily Kovalchuk. Way better goalscorer, decent playermaker, much better defensively, brings a physical element that Kane will never come close to replicating, leader, has enough stamina to play 25 minutes a night for 82 games, puts up points with crappy linemates while the other team puts most of their effort in shutting him down.

The poll would be a lot more in Kovalchuk's favour if "what have you done for me lately" wasn't in full swing right now.
You say that as if "what have you done for me lately" isn't always in full swing.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:15 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah, Kovalchuk's a nice regular season player. If you're in the business of trying win meaningful titles, Patrick Kane works better.
Meh, replace Kane with Kovy on the Hawks and see what happens. He would be a cup and conn smythe winner as well.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
lboogie42*

Quote:
What? You can't blame Kovy for only makin the playoffs three times. 2 of the times was either when he was on a sorry thrashers team, or a devils team he just joined and wasn't used to yet. And when he actually did have a legit shot in the playoffs, he was arguably the best player all post season while playing at 30% because of his injury. As was already said, put Kovy on the hawks and see how much he accomplishes.

Old
06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Balance

Kovalchuk scored the same amount of points as Kane did in the playoffs playing at 30% and on the Devils. Imagine a fully healthy Kovalchuk on the Hawks.

Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Kovalchuk scored the same amount of points as Kane did in the playoffs playing at 30% and on the Devils. Imagine a fully healthy Kovalchuk on the Hawks.
My point. He'd be a BEAST

Old
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
RomersWorld*

Kane is better offensively...so no he wouldn't.

Lets see Kovalchuk's numbers going against the Wild, Red Wings, Kings and Bruins...all allowed to clutch and grab, all playing defensive systems and all doing whatever they can from keeping the Hawks from scoring(even if it means not scoring themselves).

Against the Kings last year(in finals):
Ilya Kovalchuk 6 games, 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point, -3

Right. I'd love to see Kane pad his stats against awful defensive teams like the Panthers and Flyers but he didn't get that chance.

Lets see Kovalchuk's numbers against the West last year
18 games, 6 goals, 7 assists, 13 points, -10

I'd rather not see what he'd do on the Hawks. I'd prefer to keep the Cups we won with Kane. Just like the other stars of the Eastern Conference, Kovalchuk pads his stats against the Southeastern division(which doesn't play defense) and take advantage of playing in a more wide open league.

Kovalchuk also has the benefit of getting the most PP time in the entire NHL. He is not as effective as many other stars at even strength...as evidenced by being a minus player like every single year except ONE. The Great Ilya Kovalchuk....-116 on his career and finishes a minus player in 10 out of his 11 seasons in the NHL. Clearly he will fit into every team seamlessly and lead them to a Cup with no other factors involved.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:34 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post

Lets see Kovalchuk's numbers going against the Wild, Red Wings, Kings and Bruins...all allowed to clutch and grab, all playing defensive systems and all doing whatever they can from keeping the Hawks from scoring(even if it means not scoring themselves).

Right. I'd love to see Kane pad his stats against awful defensive teams like the Panthers and Flyers but he didn't get that chance.
Yeah...completely ignore the fact he was playing with a herniated disk in the playoffs, and just ignore his point per game production in the ECF against the best defensive team of last season in the New York Rangers.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:01 PM
hockeyr5

Quote:

You scored:
17 goals in 5 games vs. Minny
16 goals in 7 games vs. the Wings
13 goals in 5 games vs. the Kings
17 goals in 6 games vs. Boston

Average of 2.78 GPG

That is a lot of goals. I don't think Ilya Kovalchuk would have too much trouble if he was slotted into Patty Kane's spot.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 10:27 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:

Lets see Kovalchuk's numbers against the West last year
18 games, 6 goals, 7 assists, 13 points, -10

I'd rather not see what he'd do on the Hawks. I'd prefer to keep the Cups we won with Kane. Just like the other stars of the Eastern Conference, Kovalchuk pads his stats against the Southeastern division(which doesn't play defense) and take advantage of playing in a more wide open league.

Kovalchuk also has the benefit of getting the most PP time in the entire NHL. He is not as effective as many other stars at even strength...as evidenced by being a minus player like every single year except ONE. The Great Ilya Kovalchuk....-116 on his career and finishes a minus player in 10 out of his 11 seasons in the NHL. Clearly he will fit into every team seamlessly and lead them to a Cup with no other factors involved.
Once again, kovalchuk did all that hole bro the focal point of opposing defenses and other then the occasional Elias/henrique, has had less skilled line/team mates then Kane has had. And te power play argument is bogus. Look at how the devils did last year on the pp and tell me I you still feel the same about him having an advantage because of his pp time.

And great argument using the kings series. Like to see how Kane would do with a herniated disk playing at 30%. Hmm, maybe since he a lot less physical he'd be able to do better then Kovy did. Kovalchuk was arguably the best post season player and he wasn't even playing 100%. Jut a silly silly argument.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Once again, kovalchuk did all that hole bro the focal point of opposing defenses and other then the occasional Elias/henrique, has had less skilled line/team mates then Kane has had. And te power play argument is bogus. Look at how the devils did last year on the pp and tell me I you still feel the same about him having an advantage because of his pp time.

And great argument using the kings series. Like to see how Kane would do with a herniated disk playing at 30%. Hmm, maybe since he a lot less physical he'd be able to do better then Kovy did. Kovalchuk was arguably the best post season player and he wasn't even playing 100%. Jut a silly silly argument.
Kovalchuk did all that while being the focal point of opposing defenses.*

Sorry. Can't edit posts

Old
06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
BraveCanadian

Kovalchuk.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
kovalchuk scored 19 points (8 goals, 11 assists) in 23 games in the playoffs in 11-12. and that was with him clearly injured and sometimes barely able to move.

kane scored 19 points (9 goals, 10 assists) in 23 games in the playoffs in 12-13.

i don't know how you can possibly say kane is a better playoff performer than kovalchuk. kane benefits from having been on better teams than kovalchuk has, that doesn't make him a better player.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
newerabegins

Well for starters Kane is more proven. Kovy did it once. Kane has always performed in the playoffs.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
kovalchuk scored 19 points (8 goals, 11 assists) in 23 games in the playoffs in 11-12. and that was with him clearly injured and sometimes barely able to move.

kane scored 19 points (9 goals, 10 assists) in 23 games in the playoffs in 12-13.

i don't know how you can possibly say kane is a better playoff performer than kovalchuk. kane benefits from having been on better teams than kovalchuk has, that doesn't make him a better player.
Kane has a 21 year old scored 28 points in 22 games with 10 goals in the playoffs.

He is the only Blackhawk to score 9 goals 3 or more times in the playoffs.. thats saying something with all the players they've had.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
dspbathroom

I think currently Kovy is a better player, but you have to keep in mind that Kane is only 24 years old and is just starting to really enter his prime. Kane's best years are ahead of him. Kane at 30 will be better than Kovy at 30.

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
lovemynephews

Quote:
Who would you rather have?
Patrick Kane

lovemynephews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Paradoc
Number 1 Goalie

vCash: 50
Switch Kane and Kovalchuk and I'm sure you would see a different result. That being said, the answer is Kovalchuk..

Paradoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Stephen23

I would still rather have Kovalchuk. I think he is the better player individually.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically, Missing

I'd still take Kovalchuk. Would look nasty next to Kopitar. Oh, what could have been...

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote