HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great, Spezza named AHL MVP...WTF

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Great, Spezza named AHL MVP...WTF

Spezza had a great season and he's going to be a great player in the NHL, I know that.

But Cammy has been the best player in the AHL this, he deserved it much more than Spezza.

Old
04-15-2005, 08:17 PM
nikolai19

Actually they both deserved and it was too close to call so either way it made sense.
I think they are both going to be good NHL players.

Old
04-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Although, Spezza has more points than Camms I think Camms should have been MVP since he has scored many more goals. A point is a point but 2 goals and 1 assist is harder than getting 1 goal and 2 assists IMO.

Old
04-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Same thread @ the AHL board

Old
04-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Word

They talked about this in last weeks game. Since Cammy wasnt named as a 1st team all star he didnt have a chance at the award. They also mentioned that the voters dont even see most of the teams.

Old
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
It doesn't matter much to me. They're both great prospects. Spezza has been the premier puck distributor in the AHL this year and Cammy has been the premier scorer in the AHL this year. Wouldn't mind having either on my team.

04-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Thornton97

Still BS. Without Squidy, the Monarchs are nowhere near where they are right now. Hartford wins the division with relative ease IMO. Without Spezza, I still see the Sens fighting with the Phantoms for their division. Cammy is much more important to Manchester than Spezza is to Binghamton.

Old
04-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Venom_17

I hate to say this...but Spezza deserves it more. He has just been on an absolute tear as of late. Cammy started incredibly well, but tailed off as the year progressed.

Furthermore, Manchester has a much better team, IMO, than Bingo. Although there have been lots of injuries in Manny, which help Cammy's case a great deal, I think players like Brown, Grebs, Gleason, Kosto, Smyth, Garon, Lehoux, etc. make the Monarchs a much better team than Bingo. As a result, Spezza probably won because he plays on a weaker team.

Don't forget Bingo was in the dumps until Spezza became a wrecking ball and almost singlehandedly lifted them to a division championship.

Old
04-16-2005, 12:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Spezza is the league's posterboy. I shouldnt be shocked at all. Cammalleri got screwed. Anyone who has seen this guy play this season knows that.

Old
04-16-2005, 03:05 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
*****ing wont solve anything wat i want is for the two teams to play each other in playoffs and see Camms and Spezza fight and somehow Camms just beat the living @#$% out of him then ill be happy - dont even care if we win as long as Camms just rules Spezza

Old
04-16-2005, 03:14 AM
soilwork2004

homers *cough cough* HOMERS!

Old
04-16-2005, 05:50 AM
Venom_17

Hey I'm not a homer if you read my post. But you can't deny politics played at least a moderate part in this decision. If you don't admit that, you're the homer.

Let's just start lobbying Cammy for playoff MVP!

Old
04-16-2005, 10:19 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Spezza probably won because he plays on a weaker team.
Spezza won because he plays in a division with weaker goaltending.

Members of the top 10 club:

Atlantic Division
Hartford
1. Steve Valiquette - 1.76 GAA, .935 SV%
2. Jason Labarbera - 1.86 GAA, .934 SV%
Lowell
5. Cam Ward - 2.02 GAA, 9.36 SV%
Providence
5. Hannu Toivonen - 2.02 GAA, .932 SV%

East Division
Norfolk
5. Mike Leighton - 2.02 GAA, .921 SV%
Philly
8. Antero Nittymaki - 2.10 GAA, .923 SV%

The next goaltending leader to appear in either division is Worcester's Jason Bacashihua at 21, with a 2.53, .901.

Binghamton faced Philly and Norfolk for a total of 14 games.
Against Leighton, Spezza scored only 2 goals and tallied 2 assists all season.
Against Nittymaki, Spezza scored only 1 goal and tallied only 3 assists all season.

That's only 8 points in 14 games (57%) against his division's toughest goaltenders.

Manchester face Hartford, Lowell and Providence for a total of 29 games.
Against Labarbera, Cammy scored 3 goals and tallied 2 assists all season.
Against Valiquette, Cammy scored 1 goal and tallied 4 assists all season.
Against Ward, Cammy scored 6 goals (one hat trick) and tallied 5 assists all season.
Against Toivonen, Cammy scored 3 goals and tallied 3 assists all season.

That's 27 points in 29 games (93%) against his division's toughest goaltenders, almost a point a game!

So, you can say what you will about Spezza and his deserving the AHL MVP award yadda-yadda-yadda, but this homer thinks that Cammy deserves it hands down and believes the scoring statistics, when taking into account the level of play for the division played in, backs him up. Against the tougher goaltenders, Cammy's performance was much better than Spezza's, and he faced them more often than Spezza did. Spezza won on pure numbers alone because he played against weaker netminders in a weaker division, not because he's a better center/scorer than Cammy.

Frankly, if you (the generic "you", not venom_17) can't back up your rebuttal with facts and not opinion, 'nuff said.

Last edited by ReggieMoto: 04-16-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old
04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
jfont

Awards:
i'm of the impression that the most valuable player doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the most points. look at kirk gibson back in '88 for the dodgers...the MVP should be the player that is the most valuable to his team ... that if you put the 2 players together and weigh their value to their team, the MVP should be the one their team cannot live without (so to speak) ... now i haven't seen any of cammy's or spezza's games...but the player that i described for the MVP above should win the award.

04-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
i'm of the impression that the most valuable player doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the most points. look at kirk gibson back in '88 for the dodgers...the MVP should be the player that is the most valuable to his team ... that if you put the 2 players together and weigh their value to their team, the MVP should be the one their team cannot live without (so to speak) ... now i haven't seen any of cammy's or spezza's games...but the player that i described for the MVP above should win the award.

I agree... now bring back Batman!!!

Old
04-16-2005, 12:49 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
i'm of the impression that the most valuable player doesn't necessarily mean the guy with the most points...the MVP should be the player that is the most valuable to his team
OK, say that's so. I would have to question whether Spezza would even be on the radar screen if he wasn't in first place in the scoring race. Just wondering...

Old
04-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Chartrand

I'm glad that Cams didn't win because more hardware gives him more reason to believe he'll be in LA next year, and less incentive to actually work for it.

Old
04-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Venom_17

I think the bottom line is, they are both very deserving. There's a fine line between the two. There are factors that helped Spezza, such as his division, his team, and him being the poster-boy. These things didn't help Cammy. Things may have been a lot different if Manchester wasn't injury-plagued, but they may not have been.

One thing is for sure, it was definitely a two-horse race for MVP.

Old
04-16-2005, 08:08 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
One thing is for sure, it was definitely a two-horse race for MVP.
I agree. It was definitely a two-horse race.

Old
04-16-2005, 08:15 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
OK, say that's so. I would have to question whether Spezza would even be on the radar screen if he wasn't in first place in the scoring race. Just wondering...
I would ask the same thing about Cammy. If Cammy wasn't second in the points race and so close to Spezza I'd have to ask whether or not he'd be on anybody's radar. That being said, what's up with naming your league MVP before the end of the season?

Old
04-16-2005, 08:27 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
I would ask the same thing about Cammy. If Cammy wasn't second in the points race and so close to Spezza I'd have to ask whether or not he'd be on anybody's radar.
I think so. He's the league's top scorer in a division that has 6 of the top ten goaltenders in the league (2 are his goalies, though). The line he centers is also quite exemplary: Brown and Smyth. I haven't taken the time to look at how this line performs with respect to scoring, but I suspect that it is one of, if not the, most productive in the league. I would like to think that would put them on anyone's radar screen.

Quote:
That being said, what's up with naming your league MVP before the end of the season?
That, my friend, is an excellent question.

Closed Thread