HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

THE MIGHTY SABRES - 4, The Puny Penguins - 1

Old
04-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
+ Iginla scoring
+ Fleury looking good after not playing for a week and coming off the bench cold
+ PK

- First line not burying the scoring opportunities they had
- TK at center on a top line: it's clear that isn't going to fly while Crosby is out
- Vokoun: rough night
- Orpik: caught flat footed way too often tonight
- Niskanen: Awful turnover early in the game, and didn't look good on the PP. Bylsma needs to consider replacing him with Despres on the top PP unit until Letang is healthy.
- Officiating: Not the reason the Penguins lost, but for the last few games there have been too many obvious blown no-calls.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

Despres losing an edge way too often.

Neal making dumb selfish plays is getting old.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jaromeyI

anyone know the 3 stars?

jaromeyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

---Niskanen - Nice pass to a guy with no stick lol just general ineptitude tonight from Nisky
--Vokoun - Too much flopping and getting out of position. The D left him out to dry, though
--Offense - Not much pressure at all other than the big line
--Refs - No consistency

+++Fleury
+Iggy's first goal. Awesome to see.
+Murray on the PK
+Winning fifteen games in a row.

This game sucked from start to finish. Seemed like the team had no energy or urgency. More D breakdowns and turnovers then we have had in a while. Time to forget this one and move on to New York

On Vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
+ Fleury
+ Iginla

--- Vokoun
---- Niskanen
----- Refereeing

Awful game. Niskanen was dreadful the entire game IMO, and Vokoun let in 3-4 goals I think he saves during the streak. Crosby is the heart and soul of this team's offense.
I didn't think Iggy was that good (or maybe Neal being so ******* bad just dragged everyone down).

I'll reserve judgment, but Neal on the LW did NOT look good in any way, especially as he kept floating towards the right side and I'm thinking that Kunitz-Sid-Iggy, Morrow-Malkin-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis might be the way to go because that way you're using everyone in his best position.

Again, I'll reserve judgment, but I don't know that I like either the Neal-Iggy OR Morrow-Cooke combinations.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I wrote this after last game. The Pens worst nightmare should be Orpik, Murray, Engo, AND Eaton in the starting lineup in the playoffs (or ever). For a team that feeds off transition, it's the kiss of death, and it shows. Keep this in mind: Martin is out of round one. You are an injury to Letang, Nisky, or Despres or Despres just struggling from realizing that nightmare scenario.
Sounds like Martin might be back for round one after they updated his timetable. I just hope we don't get last year's Martin.

This game had an odd, stinky feel to it, even before the shorty. Pens tied it, so in the end you can't call it a momentum switcher. It was just one of those games where nothing went right, and it was too late to recover.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
cheesedanish87

Im not gonna lie im kinda happy the streak is over now pens can focus on getting ready for playoffs. There were some positives, The Malkin line looked good cant wait to see what it looks like after 10 games, Pens are much more of a physical team right now. MAF

Negative for me is the 3rd line id still give it more time but they gotta get better before the playoffs.

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Sk8M8

vCash: 735
+ Iginla scoring
+ Fleury looked great
+ PK

- Niskanen . . . That boner play seed to utterly change the course of the game. That was such a pivotal screw up IMO. Vokoun was completely thrown off his game from that point on. And the team seemed rattled from that point along with Buffalo's confidence was boosted at that point. Game-changing moment so early on.

- 2nd period. No one showed up to play the Sabres in the second. One of the more forgettable periods I've seen.

- streak over . . . Just sad to see it go down in such an ugly effort.

Sk8M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bengui

First goal was totally unexcusable from Niskanen. Second was just a great shot from **** you Ott. Fourth could probably have been avoided if Vokoun was pulled after the third, but I don't blame Bylsma. It was disappointing that the offense couldn't even get on board after the first, let alone come back, but hey, Miller was great and **** happens...

Still, it really stings when **** happens right as you're chasing historical records

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
I didn't think Iggy was that good (or maybe Neal being so ******* bad just dragged everyone down).

I'll reserve judgment, but Neal on the LW did NOT look good in any way, especially as he kept floating towards the right side and I'm thinking that Kunitz-Sid-Iggy, Morrow-Malkin-Neal, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis might be the way to go because that way you're using everyone in his best position.

Again, I'll reserve judgment, but I don't know that I like either the Neal-Iggy OR Morrow-Cooke combinations.
I wish I could pat myself on the back, but Sid being out for an extending period of time will prevent the gloating. Iggy and Neal are redundant. They need Morrow.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I know this was discussed in the GDT(s), but let's talk about it here, because it's chic to hate Disco:

Is he getting too cute with some of his roster moves? I know that you want to build chemistry, but aren't Cooke and Morrow pretty low-maintenance, straight-line guys? Shouldn't you be trying different players in different situations to see how you can get things going if Sid is out long-term?
absolutely. I think we'd be a much better team with Sutter in for Sid's spot. We have 2 top 6 centers, 2 bottom 6 centers, and a 2/3 center. One of the top 6 is hurt. Move the tweener to the 2 slot and play both bottom 6 guys.

Iginla - Geno - Neal
Kunitz - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Jeffrey - Morrow
TK - Vitale - Adams

Honestly, I'd change the wing combos too, but thats a different issue entirely.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i really can not stand james neal.

the guy is a huge leach, cheecho redux. he excels at finding soft spots in defenses and has a great shot, but otherwise he doesn't bring anything aside from the very rare night where he decides to play physical. without malkin continually feeding him golden opportunities, he's worthless. poor efforts, not engaged physically, and consistently stupid selfish penalties.

selfish overrated leach.
I do despise the selfish penalties Neal takes but even though he's mostly one dimensional it's such a great dimension that I am very glad we have him. Guys who can finish Geno and Sid's plays don't grow on trees as we've seen over and over. Neal has tremendous value to this team.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrozJawz

+MAF
+Iggy's first
+PK still playing strong

-Boston gets Jagr and wins tonight
-Washington continues to roll and will likely win the SE at this point
-Ovie gets 2 more goals and 3 points
-Nisky
-Vokoun
-general lack of offense overall
-stupid penalties
-poor PP

+0 points for Stankos tonight

CrozJawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Haha, i love seeing players skate hard at Murray only to bounce off him. Shero needs to keep this guy around! He's going to be a pain in the ass when the games start to matter, as in the playoffs. Pens need to trade for Gill and have Gill and Murray shut down players.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
plaidchuck

Yeah you really gotta reserve judgement, we'll see if this was just a "whatever" game or if their luck with injuries not really affecting the team has run out.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrozJawz

BTW, this game really highlights the fact that Kunitz and Dupuis can do nothing on their own.

CrozJawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

+ iginla got his first goal in a pens uniform
+ fleury had a shutout...
+ PK was good
+ can start a new streak tomorrow
+ i can quit being so superstitious and change my nail polish
+ no more focusing on the streak

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Sounds like Martin might be back for round one after they updated his timetable. I just hope we don't get last year's Martin.

This game had an odd, stinky feel to it, even before the shorty. Pens tied it, so in the end you can't call it a momentum switcher. It was just one of those games where nothing went right, and it was too late to recover.
Agreed.

I've always thought that towards the end of a winning streak you're never as good as the streak suggest (or never as bad towards the end of a losing streak as the streak suggests).

Vokoun giveth and he taketh away. Neal and Kunitz went into jack*** mode. The gap looked bad. The man play looked bad. And, oddly, there was very little juggling, which I sort of expected after it hit 4-1. Yep . . . stinky feeling. All of the bad habits or concerns popped out at once, and the breaks just weren't there. It happens. Tomorrow most assuredly will be telling . . .

Old
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
STLPensFan

+? Glass? I came away from this game still miserably annoyed with Orpik, Kennedy, and Bylsma but I don't recall being really pissed off at him.

STLPensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromeyI View Post
anyone know the 3 stars?
1 Porter 2 Pominville 3 Ott so says Yahoo

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:

Yup, that one game of Morrow-Malkin-Neal looked awesome. Morrow on the third line with Cooke just doesn't look good at all. They are generating nothing. It seems sooo obvious what the lines should be. Dupuis on the third line would help our entire lineup so much.

On Vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I wish I could pat myself on the back, but Sid being out for an extending period of time will prevent the gloating. Iggy and Neal are redundant. They need Morrow.
I'd be awfully careful asking for Morrow to play top six minutes. He's fine where he is.

Iggy isn't Neal. I think we saw a decent sample of how much more he brings to a line than Neal does. I'd let them gel a little while longer.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Yeah you really gotta reserve judgement, we'll see if this was just a "whatever" game or if their luck with injuries not really affecting the team has run out.
I'm not sure that any Penguin not named Crosby, Malkin, and Letang (maybe Iggy and Despres sometimes) can do anything on his own.

Old
jinx33
Restless

Send a message via MSN to jinx33 Send a message via Skype™ to jinx33
That was a bad game, but the winning streak last the whole month, while losing important players such as Letang, Martin and Sid for few weeks.

I'll blame Nisky on the first goal, terrible turnover. Vokoun was maybe too much confident also, that wrap-around..

No offense creativity, they were all running on each other and few times got into the good spots. No balance in lines, but it's my point of view. Morrow should be back on Malkin and Neal line, while Iggy could play right side on the first with Kunitz, Jeffrey being my pick at center because Kennedy looked totally out of place.

Defense was not better, no discipline, five penalties in a row, bad transition game.. but very nice to see Fleury being sharp on his return.

The team gonna miss his captain for games to come but best forget about tonight and play a different game tomorrow, won't be easy against the Rangers, they still in hunt for playoffs, critical point for lot of teams.

+ Iginla for his first as a Penguin
+ Fleury comeback
- Vanek missing, i really love to watch that player.

jinx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:

I think for now Neal-Geno-Iggy is the way to go because having either Iggy or Neal with out Malkin is just wasting those guy's talents big time.

When Sid gets back, it would probably be worth at least experimenting with K-S-I and M-G-N. I don't see any harm in ****ing around with line combos. We've sealed up the Atlantic. There's no harm in experimenting with the lines. If Iggy doesn't work with Sid and the Koon, you can always just put the old line back together.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote