HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE MIGHTY SABRES - 4, The Puny Penguins - 1

Old
04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Forgot some things:

+ Buffalo winning means they jump ahead of Philly in the standings
+ Islanders win, knocking the Rangers out of the top 8

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
First goal was totally unexcusable from Niskanen. Second was just a great shot from **** you Ott. Fourth could probably have been avoided if Vokoun was pulled after the third, but I don't blame Bylsma. It was disappointing that the offense couldn't even get on board after the first, let alone come back, but hey, Miller was great and **** happens...

Still, it really stings when **** happens right as you're chasing historical records
Blame Orpik for not winning. If he did not take Crosby out that game, we would have a 16 game winning streak. He almost took out Fleury in tonights game...

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Vinyl View Post
Yup, that one game of Morrow-Malkin-Neal looked awesome. Morrow on the third line with Cooke just doesn't look good at all. They are generating nothing. It seems sooo obvious what the lines should be. Dupuis on the third line would help our entire lineup so much.
here's the funny part: Sid being out gives Bylsma the easy way out, only not in the way he thinks. See, he thinks, "Sid is out, so now I don't have to answer questions about Jarome Iginla, top-line winger." Instead, he should realize, 'Oh, Sid's injured, all that chemistry crap is out the window, now's the time to create the 3 lines they way they should be created"

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Jacob

vCash: 399
Sucks when you need to create offense and you've got Mark Eaton smashing the puck off the glass and never putting it on net ever. We miss Letang & Martin more than Sid IMO.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'd be awfully careful asking for Morrow to play top six minutes. He's fine where he is.

Iggy isn't Neal. I think we saw a decent sample of how much more he brings to a line than Neal does. I'd let them gel a little while longer.
Look, I think Morrow is done, but there was NO REASON to move him off of Geno's line after the Winnipeg game. If he can do that for the rest of the year, why not let him? You have to convince me it's going to fail before I'll believe it.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

+ Strong reminder tonight you don't get to take the day off when a struggling opponent (with players missing / out) comes to town. We got those 15 wins because of consistent 60 minute efforts. Plenty of close games including a couple come from behind types. Tonight we played like a team that was sure it was going to win from the opening face off and we proceded to get our ass kicked.

+ Fleury played solid, but too little too late ultimately.

+ Malkin was trying to make things happen out there most of the game at least. Iggy is starting to gel a little bit. Will take some more time.

-- Vokoun deserves most of the blame for letting the game get out of hand. He had his head up his ass out there. Two of those goals were just plain awful. Something you'd expect out of Brent Johnson. The Niskanen giveaway was so horrible you can't really fault Voky for that one but he deserved to be yanked earlier than he was.

- Neal definitely has an obvious weakness and it's between his ears. To address TEOT's points, this guy is a great shooter / sniper (and therefore very useful to this team overall), but he is way too easily taken off his game IMO. He's also too cocky.

This is partly on the coaches; guys like him need to be put in their place occasionally / knocked down a peg back into the realm of reality, when they start floating or taking dumb penalties. Neal actually thinks he's being "tough" when he does that I suspect, like making a statement that he won't take any ****... but his timing is almost always terrible. Which is how you know he's not a very bright guy. We didn't sign him to solve calculus problems, but someone needs to straighten him out. Which I suspect is Bylsma's biggest weakness -- that he doesn't give players hell individually. Doesn't seem like it would be in his DNA but who knows.

- Pretty much uninspired efforts all around. Despres was the only one who played most of the game with some intensity, and Jeffrey as well maybe. The rest were pretty well invisible.

On to the Rags. Don't be shocked if we drop one of the next two games. Pretty common after the end of a long win streak. Better now than in two weeks.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I wish I could pat myself on the back, but Sid being out for an extending period of time will prevent the gloating. Iggy and Neal are redundant. They need Morrow.
But Bylsma won't try it. You know that. Me . . . at some point in this game, given how it stunk to high heaven, I'd have had Geno center Morrow and Neal and had Sutter center Kunitz and Iggy. Hasn't that always been the idea . . . have the third line center get Sid's guys when Sid is out? ****, we NEVER saw that tonight. I'm surprised we didn't even get a sniff of Geno centering Kunitz and Neal. Eh, it's one game. I'll chalk it up to that. I just hope Bylsma doesn't do the same if the Pens come out flat tomorrow.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Sucks when you need to create offense and you've got Mark Eaton smashing the puck off the glass and never putting it on net ever. We miss Letang & Martin more than Sid IMO.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that one. You never miss anyone more than you miss the best player on the planet.

Old
66-30-33

Quote:
IMO Letang will be back Friday. He was out 7-10 days, it must be day 8 by now.

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:19 PM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Quote:
Yeah Martin and Letang being out just really show the teams dirty laundry with the other D personnel IMO. Kind of wondering if Despres should just finish out in the AHL.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'd be awfully careful asking for Morrow to play top six minutes. He's fine where he is.

Iggy isn't Neal. I think we saw a decent sample of how much more he brings to a line than Neal does. I'd let them gel a little while longer.
Dupuis - Sid/Sutter - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter/Jeffrey - Morrow
TK - Vitale - Adams

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Vinyl View Post
Yup, that one game of Morrow-Malkin-Neal looked awesome. Morrow on the third line with Cooke just doesn't look good at all. They are generating nothing. It seems sooo obvious what the lines should be. Dupuis on the third line would help our entire lineup so much.
As I said, I'd have Geno center Morrow and Neal, if only to experiment. I'd have Sutter center Kunitz and Iggy (a) to see how those two wingers look together and (b) because that would be a reasonably decent second line.

Old
Pancakes

I hope Letang takes as much time as he needs to get healthy. We will go nowhere in the playoffs if he can't stay in the lineup.

I do in fact wonder if Shero shouldn't look at getting one more puck moving defenseman as insurance for the playoffs but I'm not sure who would be available and I'm sure the prices are high.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

We certainly miss all 3 of Crosby, Martin and Letang. We were spoiled with a great stretch of hockey and we're probably going to have to put up with a few weeks of crappy hockey until we get a little healthier.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:21 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Yeah Martin and Letang being out just really show the teams dirty laundry with the other D personnel IMO. Kind of wondering if Despres should just finish out in the AHL.
Despres is part of the solution, not part of the problem...

Old
chethejet

Nothing to do with the loss. But I am not sure that this team is a shoe in anymore. Crosby is such a loss and Malkin is either missing Kunitz or Neal is not the same with out his energy and work. I think Iginla and Crosby have a better chemistry and he can finish. Dupuis can offer that defense and speed that Crosby can count on. Sutter centers with Morrow and Bennett. Cook and Vitale should be the fourth line LW and center. A really good coach can steal a game for you. But a bad coach can kill it for you. Bylsma just isn't a big time coach and that is a problem.

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Waffle Fries

Quote:
I disagree. All throughout the streak if we were down in a game it looked as if Sid would get on the ice and say, "Okay guys, we're not losing. Let me handle this."

Letang and Martin wouldn't be missed as much with Sid in the lineup because we'd be spending wayyyy less time in our zone.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

- with Bayern abusing Juventus in the CL and the Pens laying an egg, that was one brutal sports day for me.

I thought it was really tough to find bright spots in this one, but the PK was great, Fleury did well in relief and I also thought Kunitz looked pretty good throughout, save that one penalty.

Major minuses of the night goes to Niskanen and Vokoun. I also thought Morrow was completely bland, as I think he has been for most of his shifts as a Pittsburgh player. Our broadcasting monkeys can verbally ******* him as much as they want - he is accomplishing nothing offensively, and what he does defensively, GLASS does also. I would much, much rather see Beau Bennett.

More importantly, repeating, it is just wrong to have both Neal and Iginla with Malkin. There needs to be someone there whose focus is extending plays, winning battles and getting Malkin the puck. We all know this. Doesn't matter that they look dominant from time to time, it is waste that Geno sees this little of the puck, and Iginla's major strength just isn't hounding pucks consistently, just like Neal loses more battles than he wins. On team without Crosby, it would be much better if there was a little more balance on the lines also. If anything positive comes of Sid's injury it will be that we get back to Kunitz Malkin Neal, and get Dupuis Sid Iginla once 87 returns. I will be legit concerned about playoff chances if Bylsma persist with the NMI line.
Vitale... it is not that major a thing, just super unfair and quite counterproductive that this guys always get the shaft in a numbers situation. Anything to prevent TK from being a center, also.

Transition from defense was truly bad today, but that will happen when Letang and Martin are out and Niskanen is having a stinker.

Ultimately.... let down game. We were certainly due one. Hoping for a quick reversal to quality hockey tomorrow where we have step one of keeping the Rangers out of the playoffs.... which would be hilarious.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:22 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
As I said, I'd have Geno center Morrow and Neal, if only to experiment. I'd have Sutter center Kunitz and Iggy (a) to see how those two wingers look together and (b) because that would be a reasonably decent second line.
Kennedy between Kunitz and Dupuis just makes NO sense stylistically. I have no clue why he'd ever try it. It's the worlds most prolific shooter with two ... shooters. What in the ****ing ****.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Look, I think Morrow is done, but there was NO REASON to move him off of Geno's line after the Winnipeg game. If he can do that for the rest of the year, why not let him? You have to convince me it's going to fail before I'll believe it.
They looked great because Geno was hopping that game. And because Winnipeg sucks balls.

We can talk about who's playing right or left until we're blue in the face, but the fact will always remain that Geno's line goes as Geno goes.

Yeah, Talbot and Feds were good wingers for 6 weeks, but we don't need to look any further as to why.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:

I'm not in ZOMG, we've got to abandon it mode. Perhaps some of it was Neal pulling the trifecta . . . playing like a jack***, not moving his feet, and getting used to playing LW again. I just thought that I'd see a little more natural gelling.

That said, if you're going to give that time, then ******* have Sutter center Kunitz and Dupuis. Pens didn't have a second line tonight because they diluted what little they had between the second and third lines.

Quote:
They looked great because Geno was hopping that game. And because Winnipeg sucks balls.

We can talk about who's playing right or left until we're blue in the face, but the fact will always remain that Geno's line goes as Geno goes.

Yeah, Talbot and Feds were good wingers for 6 weeks, but we don't need to look any further as to why.
1. Talbot and Feds got him the puck.

2. I'm not sure that I'm in love with the level of deference to Iggy. It was weird. If Iggy was near, Geno deferred, even if he had something there to exploit. If he wasn't, he pressed where he shouldn't. As I keep saying, it's one game, but I'd like to see a lot more from that trio tomorrow.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Had to end some time.

Did see a couple areas of concern.

1. Niskanen may not be capable of greater responsibility than he's otherwise getting when guys like Martin and Letang aren't both out at the same time

2. Morrow was very, very counterproductive. His lack of footspeed was getting us pinned in our own zone for long periods of time on a couple occasions.

3. Kennedy just isn't a center. Doesn't think like a center. Doesn't play like one. He's not a center. No idea why his junior coach put him there. Even less understanding why Bylsma did.

Anyways, no big deal. Move on to the next game and hope to start getting guys back as soon as possible.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Blame Orpik for not winning. If he did not take Crosby out that game, we would have a 16 game winning streak. He almost took out Fleury in tonights game...
He seems to do that about 15 times a year. I have no idea how the goalies don't get pissed at him.

Brutal games by Orpik and Niskanen. Niskanen's has been playing like a mungaloid lately and I'm hoping he cleans up his game before the playoffs.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*

- nothing, because the Pens just had a 15-game winning streak and nothing can be wrong with a team that just won 15 games in a row

+ Iginla
+ Fleury
+ Murray

++ Iginla's goal dance: http://theuglydance.com/?v=uneyiqwswx

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Dupuis - Sid/Sutter - Iginla