HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

THE MIGHTY SABRES - 4, The Puny Penguins - 1

Old
04-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
- with Bayern abusing Juventus in the CL and the Pens laying an egg, that was one brutal sports day for me.

I thought it was really tough to find bright spots in this one, but the PK was great, Fleury did well in relief and I also thought Kunitz looked pretty good throughout, save that one penalty.

Major minuses of the night goes to Niskanen and Vokoun. I also thought Morrow was completely bland, as I think he has been for most of his shifts as a Pittsburgh player. Our broadcasting monkeys can verbally ******* him as much as they want - he is accomplishing nothing offensively, and what he does defensively, GLASS does also. I would much, much rather see Beau Bennett.

More importantly, repeating, it is just wrong to have both Neal and Iginla with Malkin. There needs to be someone there whose focus is extending plays, winning battles and getting Malkin the puck. We all know this. Doesn't matter that they look dominant from time to time, it is waste that Geno sees this little of the puck, and Iginla's major strength just isn't hounding pucks consistently, just like Neal loses more battles than he wins. On team without Crosby, it would be much better if there was a little more balance on the lines also. If anything positive comes of Sid's injury it will be that we get back to Kunitz Malkin Neal, and get Dupuis Sid Iginla once 87 returns. I will be legit concerned about playoff chances if Bylsma persist with the NMI line.
Vitale... it is not that major a thing, just super unfair and quite counterproductive that this guys always get the shaft in a numbers situation. Anything to prevent TK from being a center, also.

Transition from defense was truly bad today, but that will happen when Letang and Martin are out and Niskanen is having a stinker.

Ultimately.... let down game. We were certainly due one. Hoping for a quick reversal to quality hockey tomorrow where we have step one of keeping the Rangers out of the playoffs.... which would be hilarious.
I just think if you move Iginla or Neal away from Malkin right now you're wasting them. Iginla isn't gonna do **** being centered by Brandon Sutter or Jeffrey or whoever. And Neal will be even worse without Malkin.

I'm fine with splitting that line up when Sid gets back but I'm not sure it's the best idea right now.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
He seems to do that about 15 times a year. I have no idea how the goalies don't get pissed at him.

Brutal games by Orpik and Niskanen. Niskanen's has been playing like a mungaloid lately and I'm hoping he cleans up his game before the playoffs.
He better go tomorrow...trade him for Gill!

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
They looked great because Geno was hopping that game. And because Winnipeg sucks balls.

We can talk about who's playing right or left until we're blue in the face, but the fact will always remain that Geno's line goes as Geno goes.

Yeah, Talbot and Feds were good wingers for 6 weeks, but we don't need to look any further as to why.
uh, okay, I think you're barking up the wrong tree, but I'll bite:

Iggy and Neal should be on separate lines. I think Iggy is the better player, but the two of them are in similar molds. Iggy can create on his own. He's more of a scorer. Neal's more of a scorer. Iggy is more effective without the puck than Neal is, but they both need the puck to do what they do. And Geno needs the puck. That line, as constructed, is not a good fit. Morrow doesn't need the puck to do anything. In fact, he does his best work without the puck. Yes, Geno needs to be hopping, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Kunitz - Iginla
Morrow - Neal

make infinitely more sense than the current incarnation.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
here's the funny part: Sid being out gives Bylsma the easy way out, only not in the way he thinks. See, he thinks, "Sid is out, so now I don't have to answer questions about Jarome Iginla, top-line winger." Instead, he should realize, 'Oh, Sid's injured, all that chemistry crap is out the window, now's the time to create the 3 lines they way they should be created"
Yeah, it was obvious we were a one line team tonight. The other three generated nothing. Trying to build "chemistry" is not worth having 3/4 of lineup become useless.

On Vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I think for now Neal-Geno-Iggy is the way to go because having either Iggy or Neal with out Malkin is just wasting those guy's talents big time.

When Sid gets back, it would probably be worth at least experimenting with K-S-I and M-G-N. I don't see any harm in ****ing around with line combos. We've sealed up the Atlantic. There's no harm in experimenting with the lines. If Iggy doesn't work with Sid and the Koon, you can always just put the old line back together.
1. Agreed.

2. I'd be experimenting some now with different winger combos. I don't want to ask Morrow to be a top six minute guy, but you can always get creative in terms of how you use Geno (up and down the lineup). And, I'd like to see how Koon and Iggy look together. I'm not saying do it for a whole game, but mix it up a little. Tonight was the perfect time to try a little experimenting in that regard.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I can't blame Orpik for the Crosby injury. He didn't shoot wildly and his Sid. The puck just got deflected.

We really miss how Martin can control the game on the back end, settle things down, move the puck etc. Same goes for Letang's ability to push the pace.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I just think if you move Iginla or Neal away from Malkin right now you're wasting them. Iginla isn't gonna do **** being centered by Brandon Sutter or Jeffrey or whoever. And Neal will be even worse without Malkin.

I'm fine with splitting that line up when Sid gets back but I'm not sure it's the best idea right now.
Iginla has made a career of doing very well with guys like Brandon Sutter. His ability to create offense on his own is exactly why I'm so happy we traded for him.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sk8M8

As a Flames fan and newer Pens fan (started following the team more closely just before the Iginla trade unaware that was going to happen), I don't think you guys can expect a lot more from Jarome . . . He's got a goal-scorers awareness of where to be and he's going to pick up mostly grimy looking goals. I was nervous when he got traded because I knew there was going to be a lot of high expectations. I would have also suggested he'd be fine even on a 3rd or 4th line. He was gifted so much premier ice-time (PP, empty-net ice-time and overall lots of ice-time) in Calgary a lot of his success was a result of that - basically justifying his salary. He's still a quality signing, just think that fans aren't going to see much more from him IMO. Obviously the Crosby injury has thrown a monkey-wrench into everything. But yeah, I think what you saw overall to tonight was a result of Sid's injury and a bunch of new line-combos. Some bad luck too. It's too bad.

Sk8M8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post

1. Niskanen may not be capable of greater responsibility than he's otherwise getting when guys like Martin and Letang aren't both out at the same time
definitely this.

X-Letang
X-Martin
Niskanen-X

provides some solid puck-moving from the back-end. you're really tempting fate when Nisky becomes the team's most experienced puck-mover. i really wouldn't mind a trade for some run-of-the-mill PMD while Martin is out. six-weeks is a long as time when you have the likes of Eaton, Orpik and Murray smashing the puck up the ice.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8M8 View Post
As a Flames fan and newer Pens fan (started following the team more closely just before the Iginla trade unaware that was going to happen), I don't think you guys can expect a lot more from Jarome . . . He's got a goal-scorers awareness of where to be and he's going to pick up mostly grimy looking goals. I was nervous when he got traded because I knew there was going to be a lot of high expectations. I would have also suggested he'd be fine even on a 3rd or 4th line. He was gifted so much premier ice-time (PP, empty-net ice-time and overall lots of ice-time) in Calgary a lot of his success was a result of that - basically justifying his salary. He's still a quality signing, just think that fans aren't going to see much more from him IMO. Obviously the Crosby injury has thrown a monkey-wrench into everything. But yeah, I think what you saw overall to tonight was a result of Sid's injury and a bunch of new line-combos. Some bad luck too. It's too bad.
Iggy hasn't been the issue. He's played great.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Dupuis - Sid/Sutter - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter/Jeffrey - Morrow
TK - Vitale - Adams
Well, the third period would have been a perfect time to try those winger combinations too.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Waffle Fries

I still think that there is just no way for any line consisting of Iginla, Malkin and Neal to work and give us our best possible lines when Sid is healthy.

Both Iggy and Neal should be playing RW. Neal went from a 20 goal scorer to a 40 goal scorer after making the move and Iggy shouldn't be moved from the spot he's been playing for 16 years.

Not to mention how obvious it is Iggy wants to be on Sid's wing, and I think the feeling is mutual.

xx-Crosby-Iginla
xx-Malkin-Neal

Should be the base of our top six. Whether it ends up being:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
or
Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

is fine. It just doesn't make sense to put two guys that excel on the right playing on the same line because one of them will not be reaching their potential at all times.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JimmyTwoTimes

Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Sutter - Iginla
Morrow - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Adams

Is what I go with tomorrow night, or something of the sort. Back to back games, would it kill bylsma if glass and Kennedy sat one ? I mean I know it would break his heart sitting those two, but lets just forget about chemistry for one night and concentrate on winning a big game.

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I agree that we're too much of a one line team right now. I think Iginla probably needs to play with Jeffrey or Sutter. Although Iggy will probably think he's in Calgary all over again being flanked by a lackluster center but at least he's used to it.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
I hope Letang takes as much time as he needs to get healthy. We will go nowhere in the playoffs if he can't stay in the lineup.

I do in fact wonder if Shero shouldn't look at getting one more puck moving defenseman as insurance for the playoffs but I'm not sure who would be available and I'm sure the prices are high.
1. Some of us suggested that after last game.

2. Watch out for Cole.

Old
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

If they keep playing like tonight, Crosby will win the MVP by default.

OttawaRoughRiderFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Vega

Once Sid gets back, Dupuis needs to move to the third line. The whole lineup would benefit.

Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
- with Bayern abusing Juventus in the CL and the Pens laying an egg, that was one brutal sports day for me.

I thought it was really tough to find bright spots in this one, but the PK was great, Fleury did well in relief and I also thought Kunitz looked pretty good throughout, save that one penalty.

Major minuses of the night goes to Niskanen and Vokoun. I also thought Morrow was completely bland, as I think he has been for most of his shifts as a Pittsburgh player. Our broadcasting monkeys can verbally ******* him as much as they want - he is accomplishing nothing offensively, and what he does defensively, GLASS does also. I would much, much rather see Beau Bennett.

More importantly, repeating, it is just wrong to have both Neal and Iginla with Malkin. There needs to be someone there whose focus is extending plays, winning battles and getting Malkin the puck. We all know this. Doesn't matter that they look dominant from time to time, it is waste that Geno sees this little of the puck, and Iginla's major strength just isn't hounding pucks consistently, just like Neal loses more battles than he wins. On team without Crosby, it would be much better if there was a little more balance on the lines also. If anything positive comes of Sid's injury it will be that we get back to Kunitz Malkin Neal, and get Dupuis Sid Iginla once 87 returns. I will be legit concerned about playoff chances if Bylsma persist with the NMI line.
Vitale... it is not that major a thing, just super unfair and quite counterproductive that this guys always get the shaft in a numbers situation. Anything to prevent TK from being a center, also.

Transition from defense was truly bad today, but that will happen when Letang and Martin are out and Niskanen is having a stinker.

Ultimately.... let down game. We were certainly due one. Hoping for a quick reversal to quality hockey tomorrow where we have step one of keeping the Rangers out of the playoffs.... which would be hilarious.
If only Dan Bylsma would read that . . .

Old
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree that we're too much of a one line team right now. I think Iginla probably needs to play with Jeffrey or Sutter. Although Iggy will probably think he's in Calgary all over again being flanked by a lackluster center but at least he's used to it.
Kunitz - Sutter - Iginla would probably be better than any line he was on in CGY

(I say this without knowing any line he's ever played on in Calgary!)

Old
04-02-2013, 09:32 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Kennedy between Kunitz and Dupuis just makes NO sense stylistically. I have no clue why he'd ever try it. It's the worlds most prolific shooter with two ... shooters. What in the ****ing ****.
Kennedy with anyone makes no sense stylistically. Unfortunately, we're left to hope that Shero resolves that issue, because Bylsma sure as **** won't.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
uh, okay, I think you're barking up the wrong tree, but I'll bite:

Iggy and Neal should be on separate lines. I think Iggy is the better player, but the two of them are in similar molds. Iggy can create on his own. He's more of a scorer. Neal's more of a scorer. Iggy is more effective without the puck than Neal is, but they both need the puck to do what they do. And Geno needs the puck. That line, as constructed, is not a good fit. Morrow doesn't need the puck to do anything. In fact, he does his best work without the puck. Yes, Geno needs to be hopping, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Kunitz - Iginla
Morrow - Neal

make infinitely more sense than the current incarnation.
I don't know. Everything?

We can blame Kennedy, but you saw tonight, and the last game as well that Dupuis and Kunitz, as effective as they can be, are near invisible without Sid being Sid.

It's the same thing with Morrow on Geno's line. It looked good because Geno was flying, not because Morrow was doing anything special other than going to the net a few times. Like I said, Winnipeg is kinda awful.

If Morrow plays like he was in Dallas, Geno will probably blow his brains out playing with both him and Neal.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
If only Dan Bylsma would read that . . .
Bylsma: PFFFF! i'll just stick Adams there.

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Once Sid gets back, Dupuis needs to move to the third line. The whole lineup would benefit.
I think this can go either way. Right now that is certainly not the biggest issue with the lines

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Iggy hasn't been the issue. He's played great.
Agreed. Iggy has been as advertised. He's still a very good player and when we're healthy this is a great situation for him. He doesn't have to be the franchise player that Calgary needed him to be. Here he can finally fallback into a supporting role once we get healthy.

Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Kennedy with anyone makes no sense stylistically. Unfortunately, we're left to hope that Shero resolves that issue, because Bylsma sure as **** won't.
I don't want Kennedy traded. I want him on the 4th-line. The Pens NEED him on the 4th-line, because he's a competent NHL player.

Adams - Vitale - Kennedy (way too right-handed, but you get my point) looks so much better than the Glass-alternatives.