HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE MIGHTY SABRES - 4, The Puny Penguins - 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
  #101
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I just think if you move Iginla or Neal away from Malkin right now you're wasting them. Iginla isn't gonna do **** being centered by Brandon Sutter or Jeffrey or whoever. And Neal will be even worse without Malkin.

I'm fine with splitting that line up when Sid gets back but I'm not sure it's the best idea right now.
I care a lot more about wasting Malkin than I care about wasting one of Iginla or Neal.

Got to get him the puck. They weren't. Part of it, I'll chalk up to the BUF game plan, which clearly cheated to him big time in coverage. BUT, there were a lot of times to get him the puck even then.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
  #102
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Kunitz - Sutter - Iginla would probably be better than any line he was on in CGY

(I say this without knowing any line he's ever played on in Calgary!)
seriously though, he's been a 30 goal scorer on worse

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
  #103
jinx33
The Rust is real
 
jinx33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paris, FR
Country: France
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jinx33 Send a message via Skype™ to jinx33
You really have to stop with that Orpik hate, that was an accident.

Lines i would use actually:

Kunitz - Jeffrey - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass (Kennedy)- Vitale - Adams

Sutter is fine in third line, Iggy with Malkin and Neal make the first line look like hell, better use him with Kunitz and a real center that is definitely not Kennedy, and Neal might play better with Morrow on his line.

All we need is a possessed Malkin, hard to ask with that much physical issues he got this season, but hard to recognize the Hart winner as well, overshadowed by Crosby. Dupuis will provide speed and offense on the third, the fourth with Vitale being better, but DB just love too much his TK. I don't really mind Glass, might be the only one

jinx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:35 PM
  #104
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I don't want Kennedy traded. I want him on the 4th-line. The Pens NEED him on the 4th-line, because he's a competent NHL player.

Adams - Vitale - Kennedy (way too right-handed, but you get my point) looks so much better than the Glass-alternatives.
I really like the idea of TK throwing pucks at the net on the 4th line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:36 PM
  #105
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY
 
12IsGreaterThan47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BEN LOVEJOY
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I don't know. Everything?

We can blame Kennedy, but you saw tonight, and the last game as well that Dupuis and Kunitz, as effective as they can be, are near invisible without Sid being Sid.

It's the same thing with Morrow on Geno's line. It looked good because Geno was flying, not because Morrow was doing anything special other than going to the net a few times. Like I said, Winnipeg is kinda awful.

If Morrow plays like he was in Dallas, Geno will probably blow his brains out playing with both him and Neal.
You're missing my point. You said that line goes as Geno goes. THAT IS TRUE NO MATTER WHO IS ON IT.

And I was right there with you when they traded for Brenden, saying he was done. But he played well there against the Jets. Can we PLEASE keep trying it until it fails? The second he starts killing that line with his piss-poor play, fine, pull the plug. But you cannot tell me that it has to happen now based on what we've seen of him in a Penguins uniform.

And Kunitz - Sutter - Iginla would be a legitimate line. Not "one of the best lines in hockey" like it would be with Sid, but a very legitimate top-6 line.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:36 PM
  #106
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx33 View Post
You really have to stop with that Orpik hate, that was an accident.

Lines i would use actually:

Kunitz - Jeffrey - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass (Kennedy)- Vitale - Adams

Sutter is fine in third line, Iggy with Malkin and Neal make the first line look like hell, better use him with Kunitz and a real center that is definitely not Kennedy, and Neal might play better with Morrow on his line.

All we need is a possessed Malkin, hard to ask with that much physical issues he got this season, but hard to recognize the Hart winner as well, overshadowed by Crosby. Dupuis will provide speed and offense on the third, the fourth with Vitale being better, but DB just love too much his TK. I don't really mind Glass, might be the only one
I still hate Sutter on the third line with Sid out. He's our 2nd best center. Play him on our 2nd line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #107
JimmyTwoTimes
Registered User
 
JimmyTwoTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I care a lot more about wasting Malkin than I care about wasting one of Iginla or Neal.
Malkin sure has been " wasted" quite too easily . Crosby succeeds with anyone , yet we are still trying to find the right guys for geno ?

Anyways, the best I've seen that second line was the 4 games with Bennett as the LW. And also dint mind morrow there. But of course neither of those will happen again.

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #108
Sk8M8
Registered User
 
Sk8M8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
despres losing an edge way too often.

Neal making dumb selfish plays is getting old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedcapp View Post
kunitz - sutter - iginla would probably be better than any line he was on in cgy :p

(i say this without knowing any line he's ever played on in calgary!)
qft!

Sk8M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #109
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 38,000
vCash: 500
Meh. Have not read the thread. The Pens got sloppy, got angry, and then basically pissed the game away going for hits and stupidity. A reminder that the moronacy that was the Flyer's series last year is one frustrating mistake away if the leaders on the Pens do not get control.

All in all a needed reminder in my book.

The loss does not bother me much.

Iginla looked far more comfortable out there.

That is about it. Hope Crosby is back soon.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #110
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You're missing my point. You said that line goes as Geno goes. THAT IS TRUE NO MATTER WHO IS ON IT.

And I was right there with you when they traded for Brenden, saying he was done. But he played well there against the Jets. Can we PLEASE keep trying it until it fails? The second he starts killing that line with his piss-poor play, fine, pull the plug. But you cannot tell me that it has to happen now based on what we've seen of him in a Penguins uniform.

And Kunitz - Sutter - Iginla would be a legitimate line. Not "one of the best lines in hockey" like it would be with Sid, but a very legitimate top-6 line.
even with Morrow staying on the third... Dupuis - Sutter - Iginla and Kunitz - Geno - Neal just makes more sense than what we are using

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #111
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 13,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I just think if you move Iginla or Neal away from Malkin right now you're wasting them. Iginla isn't gonna do **** being centered by Brandon Sutter or Jeffrey or whoever. And Neal will be even worse without Malkin.
Iginla will be dangerous and do the right things, generally, no matter who his C is. Not having a Malkin has been his entire career.

Either way, what Neal and Iginla really like is besides the point. On a Crosby-less Pens, and a Pens team missing their major transition pieces on D even more so, what matters is what is best for Malkin.

Edit: Ah, I am too late. KIRK already said this

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  #112
OGBobbyFarnham
Registered User
 
OGBobbyFarnham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,597
vCash: 500
Well, glad thats done and over with.

Really hard to point to a defensemen and say he had a good game.
Murray was our best d-man and thats not gonna cut it most nights.

Ran into penalty trouble again but the PK gets a plus tonight. Nice work by them.

TK experiment should be over and done with. He's a bottom 6'er period on this hockey team.

Some easy decisions if your DB. Not saying he'll do this but he should:

-Dress Vitale. Horrible in the faceoff dot tonight. Knew this would be an issue. Time to sit your buddy Glass DB.

-2 go to lines with Sid out. Morrow-Malkin-Neal and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal. Try one of those DB. Iginla showed some chemistry with Kunitz on the PP. Throw Jeffrey in between them.

-When Sid gets back. Attach Iginla to his hip. You don't wanna lose Dupuis cuz of the speed he brings? Fine. Go with Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla. Either way if he keeps the top line or not we'll be fine really.

Dupuis/Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal/Morrow-Malkin-Iginla

Really doesn't matter.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  #113
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I don't want Kennedy traded. I want him on the 4th-line. The Pens NEED him on the 4th-line, because he's a competent NHL player.

Adams - Vitale - Kennedy (way too right-handed, but you get my point) looks so much better than the Glass-alternatives.
come tomorrow, when the roster expands i wouldn't mind seeing revolving door. chemistry on the fourth line, FFS it's the fourth-line these guys aren't really going to become a well-oiled cadre. let whoever is hungriest in practice play.

X1 - X2 - X3

X1 - pick from Bennett/Glass/Jeffrey
X2 - pick from Vitale/Jeffrey/Adams
X3 - pick from Adams/Kennedy

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  #114
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
uh, okay, I think you're barking up the wrong tree, but I'll bite:

Iggy and Neal should be on separate lines. I think Iggy is the better player, but the two of them are in similar molds. Iggy can create on his own. He's more of a scorer. Neal's more of a scorer. Iggy is more effective without the puck than Neal is, but they both need the puck to do what they do. And Geno needs the puck. That line, as constructed, is not a good fit. Morrow doesn't need the puck to do anything. In fact, he does his best work without the puck. Yes, Geno needs to be hopping, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Kunitz - Iginla
Morrow - Neal

make infinitely more sense than the current incarnation.
The concern is asking Morrow to play those kind of minutes.

The solution is to be creative in terms of how you use Malkin, putting him out there in extra situations and with different linemates at ES.

Here's a curious stat: In the last two games, with Cooke, Morrow played in the 14 minute range. In his first, on a line with Malkin and Neal, he played just under 13 minutes.

As I said, you get creative with how and where you use Geno (i.e., use him throughout the lineup at times), and Morrow can play most of a game paired with Neal.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  #115
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Malkin sure has been " wasted" quite too easily . Crosby succeeds with anyone , yet we are still trying to find the right guys for geno ?

Anyways, the best I've seen that second line was the 4 games with Bennett as the LW. And also dint mind morrow there. But of course neither of those will happen again.
we have the right guys for geno. we just aren't using them.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
  #116
LGP89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Niskanen played bad intentionally so he doesn't leave the Pens via trade tomorrow.

LGP89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
  #117
Sk8M8
Registered User
 
Sk8M8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Agreed. Iggy has been as advertised. He's still a very good player and when we're healthy this is a great situation for him. He doesn't have to be the franchise player that Calgary needed him to be. Here he can finally fallback into a supporting role once we get healthy.
Well I'm glad to hear this perspective . . . He did get the only goal and had two close chances plus another shot or two. And he made that one good defensive play before the Nisky gaff.

Sk8M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
  #118
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 27,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Sutter - Iginla
Morrow - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Adams

Is what I go with tomorrow night, or something of the sort. Back to back games, would it kill bylsma if glass and Kennedy sat one ? I mean I know it would break his heart sitting those two, but lets just forget about chemistry for one night and concentrate on winning a big game.
I might get flamed for this but it just might work with Sid out, and it keeps Kunitz and Dupuis together who do have a lot of chemistry together.

Kunitz, Dupuis, Iginla
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Morrow, Sutter, Kennedy
Cooke, Vitale, Adams

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
  #119
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Iggy hasn't been the issue. He's played great.
I wouldn't say great as much as I'd say to expectations. Anyone who sees him being the 30 year old version of himself is indulging in wishful thinking. He doesn't have the speed he had five years ago and plays a little more on the perimeter. BUT, he's still a really good top six forward, something the Pens needed desperately. And, frankly, his effort puts whatever the **** it is that Neal does out there half the time to shame.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
  #120
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY
 
12IsGreaterThan47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BEN LOVEJOY
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The concern is asking Morrow to play those kind of minutes.

The solution is to be creative in terms of how you use Malkin, putting him out there in extra situations and with different linemates at ES.

Here's a curious stat: In the last two games, with Cooke, Morrow played in the 14 minute range. In his first, on a line with Malkin and Neal, he played just under 13 minutes.

As I said, you get creative with how and where you use Geno (i.e., use him throughout the lineup at times), and Morrow can play most of a game paired with Neal.
Back in the good ole days, where we theorized about being this loaded instead of suffered through it, here was my plan:

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Morrow/Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Bennett/Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy

Note: Morrow/Bennett doesn't mean OR it means AND. Morrow would start out there, but we all agree that he can't play effectively for 16+ minutes a night. So he would take like 75% of the ES shifts on the 2nd line, but Bennett, who made the 2nd line look good should take the balance. This way Morrow gets his 2nd-line minutes, Bennett gets time and experience, and the 2nd line is always dangerous. And the 3rd line is REALLY GOOD.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
  #121
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I might get flamed for this but it just might work with Sid out, and it keeps Kunitz and Dupuis together who do have a lot of chemistry together.

Kunitz, Dupuis, Iginla
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Morrow, Sutter, Kennedy
Cooke, Vitale, Adams
do Kunitz and Dupuis have chemistry together? Or do they just both have chemistry with Sid? They rarely do another together other than cycle the puck

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
  #122
66-30-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,335
vCash: 500
My roomate thinks Crosby is done untill October. People at my work think Crosby is done untill the playoffs. I keep telling them about cages, but they are ignorant. Sucks to be around ignorant people all day telling you of their ignorant garbage....

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:42 PM
  #123
jinx33
The Rust is real
 
jinx33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paris, FR
Country: France
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jinx33 Send a message via Skype™ to jinx33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I still hate Sutter on the third line with Sid out. He's our 2nd best center. Play him on our 2nd line.
Jeffrey or Sutter will do, just need to keep balanced lines, thing is DB will keep troll at us with TK as center. Shero should trade him for a pick that Bennett can be called back goddammit. Enough of that chest ham shooter.

jinx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:43 PM
  #124
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 44,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Back in the good ole days, where we theorized about being this loaded instead of suffered through it, here was my plan:

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Morrow/Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Bennett/Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy

Note: Morrow/Bennett doesn't mean OR it means AND. Morrow would start out there, but we all agree that he can't play effectively for 16+ minutes a night. So he would take like 75% of the ES shifts on the 2nd line, but Bennett, who made the 2nd line look good should take the balance. This way Morrow gets his 2nd-line minutes, Bennett gets time and experience, and the 2nd line is always dangerous. And the 3rd line is REALLY GOOD.
I like this a lot. I highly doubt Bennett plays though

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:43 PM
  #125
JimmyTwoTimes
Registered User
 
JimmyTwoTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
What we really need( besides to get healthy and finally stay healthy) is for Neal to find his shot again, for the playoffs. We all know he is useless without it. I don't care if he belly flop skated up and down the ice each game....just as long as he is scoring in the playoffs. His shot isn't there right now. He was picking his spots so good early on, now every shot is not much different than we see from kennedy

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.