HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capuano *2nd* Winningest Coach in NYI History?!?

Old
04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Nyifan12

vCash: 500
Capuano *2nd* Winningest Coach in NYI History?!?

From ESPN.COM

The win was the 78th for Islanders coach Jack Capuano, moving him into third place on the all-time franchise wins list behind Al Arbour (740) and Terry Simpson (81).

-----------------

Interesting.

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

...lol

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
leaponover

Now that's embarrassing....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Isles Junkie

We were discussing this in the game thread earlier today. i think it was the game thread.

either way, way to do research there ESPN.

And it really isn't that embarrassing. Arbour was the coach forever. What's really embarrassing is that Laviolette isn't still coaching this club. Shame they ran him out of town.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
We were discussing this in the game thread earlier today. i think it was the game thread.

And it really isn't that embarrassing. Arbour was the coach forever. What's really embarrassing is that Laviolette isn't still coaching this club. Shame they ran him out of town.
has anyone ever told the full story of what happened with Laviolette? i've only seen vague allusions to players dumping on him during postseason meetings with Milbury.

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
4 more wins and he'll be the 2nd winningest coach in Islander history.

Then it's only 660 more to 1st.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
has anyone ever told the full story of what happened with Laviolette? i've only seen vague allusions to players dumping on him during postseason meetings with Milbury.
Yeah, that's all I've really heard. Something happened and he lost the respect of pretty much every player in the lockerroom. Good coach or not you won't succeed with a team that feels that way. I think it was just a rookie mistake on Lavy's part and I think it's lucky it didn't cost him his only chance at an NHL coaching job. He's going on to have a good career but I dont' think the Isles messed up firing him, I think he messed up somewhere.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
leaponover

Quote:

Not embarrassing? How long has it been since Arbour coached? Our 3rd most successful coach has 78 wins? Let me answer it for you. Arbour coached for 19 seasons. It's been 19 season since he last coached. You must not be easily embarrassed....

Old
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
BMOK33

Quote:

Lavy is one of those coaches with a short lifespan for whatever reason. He wore out his welcome in Carolina and now has likely worn it out in Philly too. I'd agree he should have been here in 03-04 and 05-06 probably but I doubt he'd have lasted much beyond that...he had several enemies on the Isles when he was let go and many guys on the Canes had plenty of bad things to say about him after he was fired there. He works well for a couple of years but then it seems his routine gets old to the players. I almost think he is behind closed doors what Tortorella is in the open, the end result to the players is probably the same.

BMOK33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:03 AM
LIUhockey18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Not embarrassing? How long has it been since Arbour coached? Our 3rd most successful coach has 78 wins? Let me answer it for you. Arbour coached for 19 seasons. It's been 19 season since he last coached. You must not be easily embarrassed....
It's not embarrassing because as you said Arbour was the coach for 19 seasons but it hasn't been one coach for the last 19. In the last 19 years they've won 533 games (including the 18 this season) under 11 coaches.

LIUhockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

This also (pretty much) confirms what most of us can't fathom: Cappy is a lock as the coach next year.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
basically there was a division inside the locker room, Lavy was quite popular with the North American players, he was even a bit too friendly with Peca(they had each other over for dinner, their wives were besties, etc). Lavy said that the North American players were the ones he was backing; "thats how you build a team", etc. Wang had just given Yashin the $90mil contract so he decided to stay with his choice, gave him the captain, moved Peca and shipped off Lavy.

Riddick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:29 AM
bluechipbonzo

fire cappy fire cappy hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:19 AM
JKP

The fact that Cappy is the 3rd winningest coach is a serious indictment on just how pathetic the last two decades have been.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 221
He is now number 2:
Quote:
Coach Cappy
Jack Capuano now has 82 career wins as he becomes the second winningest coach in Islander history, passing Terry Simpson for second place. He will move into second place in games coached on Saturday.
http://www.nyiskinny.com/2013/04/the...witterfeed&m=1

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
like I said, Laviolette should still be our coach. He'd be up in the 200s in wins by now. Before Arbour the team was crap. Terry Simpson, Peter Laviolette, Ted Nolan and i suppose Cappy this year, are really the only coaches besides Arbour who had any type of talent to work with. Oh sure, Rick Bowness, Butch Goring, Lorne Henning, Mike Dingleberry, Steve Sterling & Scott Gordon weren't the best of coaches anyway, but no one would have won much with those teams. The embarrassing part isn't that we haven't had a good coach, it's that we haven't had good teams.

Barring a horrible collapse (and even if a collapse happens) Capuano will be back next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides for Arbour, Jack will be the only other NYI coach to be here for more than 3 years. So of course his win total is going to be higher than someone like Ted Nolan who is/was a better coach than Jack ever will be. But he wasn't here long enough.

The embarrassing part is how bad we've been. Not that Jack Capuano (who I am no fan of at all) is 2nd on our all time wins list.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:30 AM
MichaelK

Quote:
like I said, Laviolette should still be our coach. He'd be up in the 200s in wins by now. Before Arbour the team was crap. Terry Simpson, Peter Laviolette, Ted Nolan and i suppose Cappy this year, are really the only coaches besides Arbour who had any type of talent to work with. Oh sure, Rick Bowness, Butch Goring, Lorne Henning, Mike Dingleberry, Steve Sterling & Scott Gordon weren't the best of coaches anyway, but no one would have won much with those teams. The embarrassing part isn't that we haven't had a good coach, it's that we haven't had good teams.

Barring a horrible collapse (and even if a collapse happens) Capuano will be back next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides for Arbour, Jack will be the only other NYI coach to be here for more than 3 years. So of course his win total is going to be higher than someone like Ted Nolan who is/was a better coach than Jack ever will be. But he wasn't here long enough.

The embarrassing part is how bad we've been. Not that Jack Capuano (who I am no fan of at all) is 2nd on our all time wins list.
I doubt Laviolette would still be here. He got fired in Carolina despite being successful for the same reasons he got fired in New York. He is extremely divisive in the locker room shamelessly playing his favored players. That does not work when your team is losing and the favored players are a big part of it

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:31 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

yeah this is really more of an indictment of how bad we've been the past 19 years, as opposed to any sort of validation of Capuano. The bar was pretty low.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
blitzkriegs

Interesting to know the coach breakdown by ownership tenure.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Poliz24

I still can't trust him as HC. I want someone with a better resume. Someone with playoff experience preferable.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:14 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
I still can't trust him as HC. I want someone with a better resume. Someone with playoff experience preferable.
Hopefully he will have playoff experience and a better resume real soon.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Bexlyspeed

I have been for axing Cappy pretty much since he was hired,
but i feel he has proved something this season; especially in the last 20 games.
the team looks like a winner every night and they play their butts of for him.
He has earned some respect and i have to say publicly i am backing him for next season

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
I have been for axing Cappy pretty much since he was hired,
but i feel he has proved something this season; especially in the last 20 games.
the team looks like a winner every night and they play their butts of for him.
He has earned some respect and i have to say publicly i am backing him for next season
I think they are playing their butts off for each other.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:46 PM
bstash19

Quote:

Only coaches with more games coached than Cappy (190) are milbury (191) and arbour (1500)

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

. Just a testament to how aweful this franchise has been in the past 20 years. It's understandable tho, every coach after arbor only coached an average of two seasons. I'm honestly shocked Cappy has made it this farw. Stats like that make this guy look like a decient coach. Honestly, at this point, I think weight, and Thompson are running things, Cappy is just there for comic relief

bigtim1988 is online now   Reply With Quote