HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Deadline 2013

Old
04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lmao, you'd think I'd try to share something with you guys and it'd come back to make me look bad. By the way, it wasn't what was expected.

Wanna know why? Look at everyone's responses. 90% of the people didn't even believe Bishop would fetch Conacher. Tampa Bay calling it a fleece job.

Although, the deal that I was referring too was much bigger, it didn't fall through.

Nice of you guys to appreciate something.
Meaning it could still happen in the off season? Is this what TM was referring to when saying they weren't sure they wanted to trade their young players?

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
Meaning it could still happen in the off season? Is this what TM was referring to when saying they weren't sure they wanted to trade their young players?
Nah, Bishop was key part of the package. We wanted Yandle, they wanted Bish+Zibanejad, didn't budge. Take it for what it's worth.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Nah, Bishop was key part of the package. We wanted Yandle, they wanted Bish+Zibanejad, didn't budge. Take it for what it's worth.
See, this is all I wanted to know.

I believe I posted something similar earlier today -- but it involved Boedker coming back with Yandle. Do you think we would have pulled the trigger then? I don't see us going Bishop + Zibanejad for Yandle...especially when Conacher + a 4th was on the table.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
I would have given up one of our other 1st round picks that year with Bishop for Yandle, but Zib? Yeah no.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
See, this is all I wanted to know.

I believe I posted something similar earlier today -- but it involved Boedker coming back with Yandle. Do you think we would have pulled the trigger then? I don't see us going Bishop + Zibanejad for Yandle...especially when Conacher + a 4th was on the table.
No way. They love Boedker. That's why they took the Conacher deal I'm assuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I would have given up one of our other 1st round picks that year with Bishop for Yandle, but Zib? Yeah no.
They wanted top-end young center who can develop into 1C for them or no deal.

I'm actually expecting Couturier/Yandle type swap in off-season. I think that's why Murray was asking for Couturier from Philly. We obviously had greater edge with Bishop alongside Zib, 2 of their biggest needs in one acquisition.

I don't know really about the second part just speculation.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Big Acquisition Coming?

Spezza
Michalek
Turris
Alfredsson
Conacher
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Latendresse
Greening

What I see there is a solid top 9. But one elite forward away from being a contending top 9.

That is without even including:

DaCosta
Stone
Hoffman
Noesen
Puempel

Those are top level prospects.

You'd think with the stage we are in now and the level of hockey Spezza is playing, this is the best time to package some of the future for immediate elite talent now?

I mean, even if we package a bit of the future:

Noesen+Stone+1st

We'd still have solid depth in Hoffman, DaCosta, Prince, Pageau, Puempel. Plus that package could bring in the biggest piece on the market.

Is this the year/summer you have to think Ottawa HAS to make a big move?

Old
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
StefanW
Classless

vCash: 0
Quote:
Spezza
Michalek
Turris
Alfredsson
Conacher
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Latendresse
Greening

What I see there is a solid top 9. But one elite forward away from being a contending top 9.

DaCosta
Stone
Hoffman
Noesen
Puempel

You'd think with the stage we are in now and the level of hockey Spezza is playing, this is the best time to package some of the future for immediate elite talent now?

Noesen+Stone+1st

We'd still have solid depth in Hoffman, DaCosta, Prince, Pageau, Puempel. Plus that package could bring in the biggest piece on the market.

I wouldn't expect a big move this year/summer that includes the type ofpackage you suggest. The talent is there, but it has to grow and develop. Think of the Edmonton Oilers in the 80's, who were far more talented. They had to first learn to win, then they had to taste bitter defeat in the playoffs, and only then did they become a championship team.

I would expect Murray to be out there in July, waiting to pull in the scraps as some teams are forced to offload expensive players to fit under the cap. We will get very good fillers for free as the youngsters continue to develop. There may be a small push at the trade deadline next year if we stay healthy and the team is looking good, but I can't see going "all in" for another 2-3 years. About the time that ZBad and Silf show they can be consistent and put up 25 or 30 goal seasons.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Spezza
Michalek
Turris
Alfredsson
Conacher
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Latendresse
Greening

DaCosta
Stone
Hoffman
Noesen
Puempel

Noesen+Stone+1st

I could see us making a pitch for Bobby Ryan...but yeah, I definitely think it makes sense at this point to package for an elite top 6er to try and bump us from "good" to "great".

Old
04-03-2013, 08:42 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Keep in mind guys that Murray went hard after Nash, if it wasn't for his NMC he'd be a Senator.

Also, that package is not exact what I'm proposing.

My point was you can take our 3 most valuable assets that are NOT apart of our current top 9 and we'd still be in good condition moving forward.

No matter how much I'd love to keep Noesen etc... getting a guy back like Ryan, Eriksson would:

a) Be worth it
b) Allow us to legitimately contend/be favourites 2-3 years sooner.
c) Alfredsson could get his cup

Old
04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
StefanW
Classless

vCash: 0
True. But I think Murray also understands that if he landed Nash for ZBad, Lehner and a first the odds are that we would not currently be in a playoff spot.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
True. But I think Murray also understands that if he landed Nash for ZBad, Lehner and a first the odds are that we would not currently be in a playoff spot.
Was that the asking price? It's a lot, but I don't think that ZBad and Lehner are the reason we are where we are (not saying that having Nash would make us better moving forward, but he would have been huge on our team).

Landing someone like Ryan or Eriksson (longshots at best) would make our team a ton better. We have the defence and goaltending completely covered when healthy (Methot, Karlsson, Cowen, Gonchar if he re-signs, Wiercioch, Phillips, Borowiecki, Gryba, Sdao, etc. is crazy...not to mention guys like Ceci, Rutkowski and Claesson). Next year this team could be a legitimate cup threat if you add in Spezza, Michalek, Karlsson, Cowen and Ryan/Eriksson (or someone similar) plus another year of development for Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Conacher, Wiercioch and Turris.

Ottawa is primed. Primed.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I think had everyone been healthy this year we'd be challenging Pitts for first in the east.

In the first 6 games I could not find a single real flaw in our game, in fact, we were not even scoring well yet average 3 GPG?

Btw, the deal was rumoured to be Zibanejad+Foligno+Bishop

Old
04-03-2013, 09:04 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Keep in mind guys that Murray went hard after Nash, if it wasn't for his NMC he'd be a Senator.

My point was you can take our 3 most valuable assets that are NOT apart of our current top 9 and we'd still be in good condition moving forward.

No matter how much I'd love to keep Noesen etc... getting a guy back like Ryan, Eriksson would:

a) Be worth it
I love Noesen as a prospect, but I'll trade anyone if it means Alfie might get a cup. Which is why I want Alfie to come back and then make the big move at the trade deadline. No point in screwing the future for a last shot for Alie and then everyone's knees and backs blow up during the season. It needs to be a healthy year, too.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
HockeySens

Quote:

a) Be worth it
Id trade noeson for ryan in a heartbeat for eriksson maybe. Ryan plays more of a power forward than eriksson right?

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
I love Noesen as a prospect, but I'll trade anyone if it means Alfie might get a cup. Which is why I want Alfie to come back and then make the big move at the trade deadline. No point in screwing the future for a last shot for Alie and then everyone's knees and backs blow up during the season. It needs to be a healthy year, too.
Interesting, but regardless, the move in the off-season would be to improve the future as well as potentially get Alfie his cup. Therefore it shouldn't matter when we make it, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
Id trade noeson for ryan in a heartbeat for eriksson maybe. Ryan plays more of a power forward than eriksson right?
Yea, Ryan plays with much more grit but Eriksson plays all-around, stronger defensively.

It would take much more than just Noesen.

I do think Ryan would be much more coveted because we need that sniping power forward presence and would probably be easier to get with ANA maybe looking to lose some cap.

Although, we could go after a Horton for free, not as dynamic but free.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:11 PM
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith

vCash: 3924
Quote:
Spezza
Michalek
Turris
Alfredsson
Conacher
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Latendresse
Greening

Which name looks out of place, right? I agree with you, put an elite forward on that list and we have a serious contender.

We have elite goaltending right now in Andy, and while there is always room for improvement, our D is quite strong. EK, Cowen, Methot, Gonchar (in my world he re-signs) for a top 4 and still Philly and Weircioch. I like.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:41 AM
R2010

I don't see us trading Puempel or Noesen without a year Pro under their belts. No way they give up on guys with the potential to be stars without a chance to see them in a pro league.

The guy I think we'll end up trading is Da Costa. Package him with a 1st to either move up at the draft or acquire a good young player.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:46 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
Which name looks out of place, right? I agree with you, put an elite forward on that list and we have a serious contender.

We have elite goaltending right now in Andy, and while there is always room for improvement, our D is quite strong. EK, Cowen, Methot, Gonchar (in my world he re-signs) for a top 4 and still Philly and Weircioch. I like.
Still 8 great names for a top 9. Greening also has chemistry with Spezza and Michalek so even if we don't get a name it isn't a huge need

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:48 AM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post

We don't need to add an elite forward - We are trying to adopt the detroit model which is to let our prospects become overipe. Rather than trading them before they reach their potential. If we can get an absolute superstar forward then its okay but I don't see us snagging any star forward without including Zibanejad or Silfverberg - which we aren't doing.

With the way our forwards are now (when healthy) we are a very good, deep team. If you give development time to Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Conacher, Stone, Hoffman, Noesen, Prince, Pageau, Schneider (surprisingly impressive), Puempel then we're going to be in pretty good shape. I think with all the talent we have in our forward ranks all we need is patience and we will find a star.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Healfezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
We don't need to add an elite forward - We are trying to adopt the detroit model which is to let our prospects become overipe. Rather than trading them before they reach their potential. If we can get an absolute superstar forward then its okay but I don't see us snagging any star forward without including Zibanejad or Silfverberg - which we aren't doing.

With the way our forwards are now (when healthy) we are a very good, deep team. If you give development time to Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Conacher, Stone, Hoffman, Noesen, Prince, Pageau, Schneider (surprisingly impressive), Puempel then we're going to be in pretty good shape. I think with all the talent we have in our forward ranks all we need is patience and we will find a star.
I fullheartedly agree. At this point now we have Alfredsson, Spezza, Michalek, Turris, Zibanejad, Silfverburg, and Conacher as locks for the top 9 next season. If we retain Latendresse and Greening/Smith/Hoffman/Propsect slides in then our team runs a top 9 with 8-9 guys that could be considered top 6 talent. This isn't like the days of the pizza line (Healfezza ) where we overload and score in bunchs, it will be the combined effort of the whole team.

Imagine how other teams will feel having to deal with 3 scoring lines? We will be impossible to defend against, even more so since MacLean loves to play the hot hand rather then splitting ice time traditionally.

I would love to see a legitimate #2/3 defenceman come to Ottawa in the offseason to bump us to contender status. Gonchar has performed admirably and could be retained for the role on the second pairing with Cowen, but I would love if we added another piece and ran with Karlsson/Methot Cowen/*** Gonchar/Wiercoch. That would be one monsterous defensive unit, throw in the depth up front and our goaltending...

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
guyzeur

It's not because Greening played with Spezza that they have chemistry. Everybody has chemistry with Spezz.

I don't want to trade Greening because I think we have a good but still very raw player. He has so much physical tools that even if its hockey IQ, hands are average I consider him a good asset for any team.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Zib + Bish for Yandle?

Eeesh, that's steep, glad we didn't do it

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
wilfred

I would have been interesting to see what Gonchar and Alfy could have been traded for at the draft.

My guess Alfy to Van for 1st and a couple of B prospects

Gonchar not too sure where but a conditional 1st + B prospect

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Zib + Bish for Yandle?

Eeesh, that's steep, glad we didn't do it
And to consider we tried to ship out Zib, Lehner, Foligno and a first for Nash. (I'm sure Methot would have come in that deal as well if it went through)

Zib + Bish for Yandle is a much better deal then the above deal, but I don't want to deal Zib whatsoever.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
And to consider we tried to ship out Zib, Lehner, Foligno and a first for Nash. (I'm sure Methot would have come in that deal as well if it went through)

Zib + Bish for Yandle is a much better deal then the above deal, but I don't want to deal Zib whatsoever.
Was this confirmed (or as close to as a confirmation we can get) by anyone on here as the offer we made to CBJ?

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote