HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[2013] [TB/OTT] Ben Bishop to TB for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick

Old
04-03-2013, 01:42 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
I'm stepping back from the ledge a bit...

When trying to think of our forward group next year, I kept having trouble finding spots for people, namely Conacher. Our top line is set right now with great balance. A second line of Purcell/Vinny/blank is probably better served with a big body like Pouliot or a guy with more finish like Connolly, and I love a third line of Panik/Palat/Johnson as a solid defensive/offensive line. Conacher can't play as a fourth liner. Moving him now, when his value is high is smart. Not the trade I would make, but we'll see how it works out in the long run.

The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Stammer Time
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Now that the surprise has worn off I'm okay with it. Nobody in this organization knows Conacher as well as Cooper and if he wasn't giving him the ice time and he's okay with the trade than I am.

Plus it doesn't hurt we have a ton of forward depth.

Stammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kuchertime
socktaper

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kuchertime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Here is the post to take note of. This is what you don't always want to hear, but need to believe. Cory still has his holes in his game, but is a great young player. To get a great young goaltender, you have to give a great young player. Johnson also plays center, and is better defensively.
This. If it was between Conacher and Johnny, they sent the right player. I really liked Cory too but not as much as Johnson. If you pay attention to his game, he does so many little things whenever he is on the ice, I think he is going to be great. So obviously the Cory fandom is imploding now (as I would be if it were Johnny going) but I think it's a good deal. I'm hopeful!

Kuchertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Lol, Gonchar isn't good defensively, Phillips has lost a step, and Methot is basically only good at zone exits. Take it easy.
They're still collectively a better group than the crap we've had in front of our goalies. Gonchar isn't bad defensively, Phillips is still a great defender despite a loss in foot speed and Methot is sound positionally.

It's not that I hate Bishop, but I really, really liked having Cory on this team.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Bishop is a solid goaltender and he could easily become the guy for you. I hope he does. He's a hard worker and very well respected and liked by his teammates.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:43 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
lolll sens gave up 50 shots LAST NIGHT dudes

i like this, honestly. i think that of most of our diminutive forwards, conacher was the furthest developed, but had the lowest ceiling potential.

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
Cool story. So has Lindback.
Wrong again. Lindback is two years younger and hasn't put up the same numbers as Bishop, and struggled with Milwaukee in his short stint down there. Bishop has established himself as one of the premier starters in the AHL and has shown in flashes, at a few different points in his career, that he can be a starter or at least a 1B in the NHL.

I can do this all day, seriously. Add something to the discussion that is worth a ****.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Is this real life? This is the first move of Yzerman's that I really hate. This is ********. Not willing to give up a second rounder last year, but now he'll give up the rookie of the year, leading the NHL in points among rookies, and a 4th round pick. Makes tons of sense Yzerman. Way to ****ing go on that one. This trade blows. We got hosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
It's official, I'm dropping the F is SFY. I am now calling him Stevie "Why"
Hey, that's my joke.

But he no longer gets the F with me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yes he wasn't willing to give up a 2nd for him last year.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...goalie/1217242
But now he's ok giving up one of our top prospects and one of the ROtY candidates who also is one of our leading goalscorers already.

And what does this say about Lindback. We giving up already?

I don't like this trade at all. Unless Bishop becomes an allstar goalie this trade is a huge disaster. Conacher's gonna have a great career and Yzerman's gonna regret this long time.
Agree 100%.

I got the text in class and was just devastated. My heart sank. Bishop was the one guy who I didn't even think we were going to make a move for, because I thought Yzerman had that thing called, uh, common sense. Turns out we did make a move for him, and we gave up one of our better performers for him.

Incidentally, why was CC getting lower ice time lately? He wasn't horrid defensively. Not as bad as some others anyway.

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGuyovich View Post

i like this, honestly. i think that of most of our diminutive forwards, conacher was the furthest developed, but had the lowest ceiling potential.
And then there's this.

Yeah now that I've had a few minutes to calm down, I don't hate it as much.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

TB now has 3 goalies, and 14 minutes to reacquire Adam Hall.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Quote:
Here is the post to take note of. This is what you don't always want to hear, but need to believe. Cory still has his holes in his game, but is a great young player. To get a great young goaltender, you have to give a great young player. Johnson also plays center, and is better defensively.
I don't disagree that Johnson is more complete. He was the shutdown guy for Spokane when the won the memorial Cup and played a defensive forward's role on the US WJ team. But Conacher is the better prospect. It's very likely he becomes a mini Marty (no pun). Tyler Johnson has shown he can score at all the different levels but I still see him being more of a lower liner than on a scoring line. Pretty sure that's what Al Murray envisioned too. Either way, Yzerman didn't have to choose between them. I see no problem with keeping them both. Marty, Johnson, Conacher are the only small players. It's not like we're so tiny 1 through 12. Pyatt is the only other player under 6 ft.

We got back a goalie we could of had last year for sooooo much less. Terrible move by Yzerman. And what about Lindback and all that we invested in him? There's a ton of pressure on Yzerman now. People won't be very forgiving if Bishop can't be a starter and Conacher goes on to keep succeeding in hated Ottawa.

Old
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGuyovich View Post

SOG is reflective on the entire team, not just the defense playing. Not to mention Lehner started last night...

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Bolts4Life91

The more I think about the deal the more I like it. Hate to see Conacher go but we just bolstered our goaltending. Like Conacher said he knew something would happen with the amount of prospect depth we had, unfortunately is was him that's leaving. But I like the trade as long as Bishop turns out as advertised.

Bolts4Life91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Lol, Gonchar isn't good defensively, Phillips has lost a step, and Methot is basically only good at zone exits. Take it easy.
Well, at least this part is true.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
Someone has to carry on my tradition of posting 'Money Trees' in the GDT when Ya Bishh gets the start! You're gonna love him. Such a good guy and great tender.

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Is that all your gonna say today? Why don't you say something of value or say nothing at all.
Conacher was a free agent signing for us so yes he didn't cost us anything. Bishop is young and has a chance to be a really good goaltender.
Here is some value.

Ben Bishop has proved little more than the tender we paid 2 2nds and a 3rd for last year.

So we have given Conacher (Potential Calder Winner), two 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th for two "Ehhhhh maybe" Goalies.

Really? You like this?

On top of that, he cost a 2nd rounder last year. SWhyzerman (thanks to whoever coined that) said that was too much to give up.

Is CC of less value than a 2nd rounder? Come on.

Please take off the homer-glasses.

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
I don't disagree that Johnson is more complete. He was the shutdown guy for Spokane when the won the memorial Cup and played a defensive forward's role on the US WJ team. But Conacher is the better prospect. It's very likely he becomes a mini Marty (no pun). Tyler Johnson has shown he can score at all the different levels but I still see him being more of a lower liner than on a scoring line. Pretty sure that's what Al Murray envisioned too. Either way, Yzerman didn't have to choose between them. I see no problem with keeping them both. Marty, Johnson, Conacher are the only small players. It's not like we're so tiny 1 through 12. Pyatt is the only other player under 6 ft.

We got back a goalie we could of had last year for sooooo much less. Terrible move by Yzerman. And what about Lindback and all that we invested in him? There's a ton of pressure on Yzerman now. People won't be very forgiving if Bishop can't be a starter and Conacher goes on to keep succeeding in hated Ottawa.
I think you're underselling TJ quite a bit there, tbh. Other than Kucherov and Connolly, I don't think we have a better offensive prospect as far as ceiling goes. He's creative and has great vision. I honestly think he'd be an amazing 2C, or a two-way 3C that is going to give us amazing scoring depth down the road.

The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
AllAbout813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts4Life91 View Post
The more I think about the deal the more I like it. Hate to see Conacher go but we just bolstered our goaltending. Like Conacher said he knew something would happen with the amount of prospect depth we had, unfortunately is was him that's leaving. But I like the trade as long as Bishop turns out as advertised.
As others have said, I think the reason for the over-reaction and initial Stevie hate is because it came out of no where and Cory was so beloved here. But the more people let it soak in and really think about it, it actually makes a ton of sense.

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Since when? Did I miss some memo? I thought we were in Ottawa's division with Florida as well and Columbus in a different one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
What? Since when?

Buffalo, Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, Detroit, Florida and Tampa Bay
Oh oops. So you guys did make a divisional trade then, not sure if that was a smart move. In the end I hope it works out for both teams, Bishop is being underrated by not just you guys, but the entire league (except sens fans). There are nights when he can play like a true #1 and other nights where he plays like a backup, I guess it's just a matter of whether you guys can polish him into a starter. He's reaching the age where he either becomes a starter in the league or a backup (a very good one at that) so here's to hoping TB finally gets the awesome goalie they've always needed and that Conacher doesn't come back to bite you guys in the future with too many goals.

04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
Quote:
johnson is better defensively than conacher, i think that goes without saying, and he has outscored conacher in every aspect except last year in the AHL, and he was on track to decimate that this year.

this is a flase dichotomy. it's not like anyone is saying that conacher is not a good player, we're just pointing out that if you take off the rose colored glasses, you will see we have many players that can fill his role, and likely do it better.

the lightning are not a better team without conacher, but hopefully we can be a better team without conacher and with the addition of bishop

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
They're still collectively a better group than the crap we've had in front of our goalies. Gonchar isn't bad defensively, Phillips is still a great defender despite a loss in foot speed and Methot is sound positionally.

It's not that I hate Bishop, but I really, really liked having Cory on this team.
Listen, don't get me wrong - loved Conacher. When you have a guy that size, overcame so much, has a very "dont give a ****" attitude when facing big competition, you hate to lose him. Can be a good role model. Loved Conacher, loved the story, it was like he was the symbol of the changing of the guard here in Tampa. The first gem found from college, first guy that has worked out in so long as a prospect not named Hedman/Stamkos... he was the bright light that hey, things might be okay with this franchise. I get it. That part sucks, a lot.

Face the facts - if we had decent goaltending throughout the whole year, we'd be in the division lead with our goal differential and everything. Say what you will, but Steve is addressing it and doing it in a way that isn't putting all our hope in just one player.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bolts4Life91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
As others have said, I think the reason for the over-reaction and initial Stevie hate is because it came out of no where and Cory was so beloved here. But the more people let it soak in and really think about it, it actually makes a ton of sense.
Exactly he was a quick fan favorite so it hurts, but like you said let it soak in and the deal makes sense.

Bolts4Life91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
**** that, I want Honey Badger back.

Ottawa has a much better defensive group than us between Gonchar, Phillips and Methot alone.
Gonchar and Phillips have rebounded but the problem is often times our forwards **** up, the puck stays in our zone and Gonchar/Phillips (they aren't a pairing) tire quickly and then boom, in the back of our net.

Yeah our defensive group is better but it's not much better and if your forwards back-check and help out your defense - that can more than make up for the gap between Ottawa-Tampa D.

Bishop is worth the gamble, he's carried stretches twice in consecutive seasons, he's big, he's athletic, a nice guy all-around. Will he have a bad game here and there? Yeah but I don't think going to Tampa will expose him too much.

Ether Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
TBLbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
this

TBLbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:

I don't see this as giving up on Lindback though. He maybe made a mistake by not taking Bishop last year for less. Ok, scratch that, he did make a mistake. But Lindback is still going to be here. So they compete with each other. It's not a bad thing. And certainly better than having Garon back next season. Makes me think the price for Miller was totally unreasonable or Yzerman knew he wouldn't re-sign.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote