HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Just The Beginning (mod warning in post #445)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
  #326
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
If you cannot move Roberto, you have to move Schneider. The window is closing. To not recognize this and leave millions of dollars on the bench every game is an unforgivable failure.
No. That's about the worst thing anybody could do. If the window closes, who do we build around? Schneider. Schneider's still young and has about 8 years of elite play. Two years of re-tooling and we're back in the thick of things.

Waive Luongo if you have to, but Schneider is the one you'll have to build around.

AmazingNuck is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
  #327
miked1101
Registered User
 
miked1101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 715
vCash: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
By him you mean Cory Schneider?


As for Lu he can spend the rest of his career in the AHL and he has no one to blame but himself.

MG owes him zilch.
MG owes him for playing ball during all this nonsense. He was a NTC that he has said he is willing to waive to help the team out. Even after they gave him the C and yanked it away.

If anything Luongo owes MG zilch.

miked1101 is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
  #328
Cando
Registered User
 
Cando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
Then you can't let him go. Be realistic. He even admitted his contract sucks. I've never heard an NHL player say that. We can't have so much cap space tied up on the bench every game. It's gonna kill this team.
I can't believe he said that... never heard anything like that before... why would he say something like this and completely throw his GM under the bus

Cando is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:45 PM
  #329
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Because he faced the music, wants to play more than get the money and most important, admit that he made a mistake signing that contract. Do you see anybody else admitting they made a mistake here???


Guess that should have been considered prior.

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:45 PM
  #330
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Huh?

The CBA certainly made it more difficult or at least changed certain aspects of it but it was always a risky contract regardless.

Both parties had to be aware of the risks.

To treat Luongo as a victim here is laughable.
I thought the new CBA made it easier. If Lou retires before the end of the contract it's the Canucks who are on the hook. Thats how I understood it anyways.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
  #331
RtooDtu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
TBH i hope i am not flagged for this. Not trying to troll but explaining why I would not want to trade for Luo.



The reason why Luongo was not traded.

This is how Luo's contract looks like for the last 4yrs and how old he will be,

$3.3m (40 years old)
$1.6m (41 years old)
$1m (42 years old)
$1m (43 years old)

I am not able to do the math but with the new NHL contract WHEN Luo retires he will be costing his club at least $2m against the cap for each of those 4yrs. So in my head when I think of a trade dealing with Luo it looks like this,

Team X
Luo as UFA

Vancouver
1st
centerman
Prospect
Backup goalie


Team X
Luo with contract

Vancouver
Centerman
Backup goalie

That is how detrimental his contract is in my opinion. When Gilles gave that contract to Luo it was made with the intent to keep him there till he retires.

RtooDtu is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
  #333
FanboySlayer*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Luongo is a first class guy, the Canucks organization and many of its fans are simply delusional. Get it through your heads, NOBODY in the NHL values Luongo anywhere near you people do, obviously the contract has a lot to do with it but even without that boat anchor of a contract you still overrate him.

Now that Luongo is on record saying he'll rip up and renegotiate his contract to get out of Vancouver you'll most likely get something for him in the off-season, not much though unless he drastically makes contract concessions. A second rounder or middling prospect is what you'll get.

FanboySlayer* is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
  #334
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando View Post
I can't believe he said that... never heard anything like that before... why would he say something like this and completely throw his GM under the bus
I don't think he was throwing Gillis under the bus. In hindsight he obviously regrets signing such a deal; but I don't think he blames Gillis.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
  #335
Astoria
#ILEquestrian
 
Astoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 500
AV presser coming up.... This should be fun.....

Astoria is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
  #337
Cando
Registered User
 
Cando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Why would a team give up anything for him? He said himself he wasn't traded because his contract "sucks" is that going to change in the summer? Nope.

What's going to change is the Canucks have no cap space and a real cap issue heading into next season and everyone knows it. No one will trade for Luongo and help Vancouver out, especially with Luongo's performances this year and back into the playoffs the last couple years.

I don't know what Gillis is going to do, but in my mind a trade is off the table for Luongo. No one is worried about their goaltending situation in the off-season, there's lots of goalies available and Luongo is 34/35 on a horrible contract.
Ugh.... really should have traded him before the season started

Cando is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
  #338
MISC*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando View Post
I can't believe he said that... never heard anything like that before... why would he say something like this and completely throw his GM under the bus
Because he was told he was going to be the goaltender for the Canucks for the next 10ish years and offered a contract with that in mind.

Fast forward 3 years and he is being thrown under the bus by his GM for a younger goalie.

The GM also terribly mismanaged the trade. Aired our the laundry every few months on TV/radio.

Luongo is 100% in the right here.

Gillis is a absolute loser in this and im soooooo happy Lu just threw him under the bus.

MISC* is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #339
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Huh?

The CBA certainly made it more difficult or at least changed certain aspects of it but it was always a risky contract regardless.

Both parties had to be aware of the risks.

To treat Luongo as a victim here is laughable.
We're not treating him as a victim, we're treating him as a person. Sorry for experiencing emapthy.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #340
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I thought the new CBA made it easier. If Lou retires before the end of the contract it's the Canucks who are on the hook. Thats how I understood it anyways.
Both teams are on the hook for their portion is how I understand that issue of the CBA.

The bigger issue of course is the drop in cap which has a few team scrambling.

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #341
Chris McKinlay
Registered User
 
Chris McKinlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
I still maintain that we can't evaluate things until we see the return for Luongo. People are overreacting too much, but the reality is that nothing has changed. We talked about having a tandem of Luongo and Schneider going into the playoffs and it looks like a reality. Fine by me.

Chris McKinlay is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #342
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain
 
The Horvatian One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 500
#freeLuongo

The Horvatian One is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #343
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Lost in all of Lou's comments in the interview was the fact that he started out with a poo joke.

So... there's at least that.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
  #344
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando View Post
I can't believe he said that... never heard anything like that before... why would he say something like this and completely throw his GM under the bus
His contract only sucks because at the time it was structured and signed, Luongo and gillis had expected Luongo to be a Canuck until he retires. Otherwise, it was fine.

Hal 9000* is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
  #345
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
No. That's about the worst thing anybody could do. If the window closes, who do we build around? Schneider. Schneider's still young and has about 8 years of elite play. Two years of re-tooling and we're back in the thick of things.

Waive Luongo if you have to, but Schneider is the one you'll have to build around.
Trade Schneider for a forward that you can add to the core. The difference between Schneider's top-end and Luongo's would not change much w.r.t. how far this team goes, so the Canucks pretty much have to accept their 'marriage' contract and try and get a difference-maker back for Schneider this summer.

Hammer79 is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
  #346
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
New CBA really screwed over the Canucks and Luongo. Why am I not surprised.
That's like arguing that someone standing in the middle of a highway is screwed over because DMV switches from right-hand drive to left-hand drive.

It was a risky contract from the get-go. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't, and those involved will pay the consequences.

 
Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
  #347
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
We're not treating him as a victim, we're treating him as a person. Sorry for experiencing emapthy.
Yeah that mean old Lonny Bohonos. That uncaring *******.

Once again. Luongo wanted that contract. He pursued that contract and he signed that contract.

Its pretty simple.

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
  #348
7thGuest
Registered User
 
7thGuest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Trade Schneider for a forward that you can add to the core. The difference between Schneider's top-end and Luongo's would not change much w.r.t. how far this team goes, so the Canucks pretty much have to accept their 'marriage' contract and try and get a difference-maker back for Schneider this summer.
Exactly. Now that Gillis has tried and failed to trade Lu for a year, he should realize that he need to change his plan. With the cap going down next year, I think we can all savely assume that Lu will not be able to return much, if anything, through trade.

That means the only possibility left is to trade Schneider. Vancouver can still go far in the playoff with Lu. The team as a whole will be better if we can get some important pieces back from a Schneider trade.

7thGuest is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  #349
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,885
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Luongo is a first class guy, the Canucks organization and many of its fans are simply delusional. Get it through your heads, NOBODY in the NHL values Luongo anywhere near you people do, obviously the contract has a lot to do with it but even without that boat anchor of a contract you still overrate him.

Now that Luongo is on record saying he'll rip up and renegotiate his contract to get out of Vancouver you'll most likely get something for him in the off-season, not much though unless he drastically makes contract concessions. A second rounder or middling prospect is what you'll get.
So that's really what he said huh?

RandV is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  #350
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Why would a team give up anything for him? He said himself he wasn't traded because his contract "sucks" is that going to change in the summer? Nope.

What's going to change is the Canucks have no cap space and a real cap issue heading into next season and everyone knows it. No one will trade for Luongo and help Vancouver out, especially with Luongo's performances this year and back into the playoffs the last couple years.

I don't know what Gillis is going to do, but in my mind a trade is off the table for Luongo. No one is worried about their goaltending situation in the off-season, there's lots of goalies available and Luongo is 34/35 on a horrible contract.
If Toronto was interested in him now, what exactly changes three months from now? Toronto is looking to build a long-term contender, not looking to add the final piece to win the cup this year. If you believe Luongo is a very good to elite goalie, he still could be a very good piece to add to a team, and should continue to be good for another 4-5 years. I don't think the cap hit is prohibitive, but it is a terrible contract to trade AND get something of value.

Gillis only wanted to trade Luongo NOW, if he could get something that would help them team more NOW and in the playoffs, than having Luongo as a backup would. He couldn't get that piece, so it didn't make sense to do a deal.

The Leafs would take him for a 3rd or 4th at the draft, which is better than buying him out for the Canucks. I don't think there will be much of a market, but he isn't untradeable. People may be willing to take on the contract, but the price the Canucks may have to pay in order to clear the asset of cap space, might just be very little return.

Fogelhund is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.