HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Just The Beginning (mod warning in post #445)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
AmazingNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
If you cannot move Roberto, you have to move Schneider. The window is closing. To not recognize this and leave millions of dollars on the bench every game is an unforgivable failure.
No. That's about the worst thing anybody could do. If the window closes, who do we build around? Schneider. Schneider's still young and has about 8 years of elite play. Two years of re-tooling and we're back in the thick of things.

Waive Luongo if you have to, but Schneider is the one you'll have to build around.

Old
miked1101

vCash: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
By him you mean Cory Schneider?

As for Lu he can spend the rest of his career in the AHL and he has no one to blame but himself.

MG owes him zilch.
MG owes him for playing ball during all this nonsense. He was a NTC that he has said he is willing to waive to help the team out. Even after they gave him the C and yanked it away.

If anything Luongo owes MG zilch.

Old
Cando

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
Then you can't let him go. Be realistic. He even admitted his contract sucks. I've never heard an NHL player say that. We can't have so much cap space tied up on the bench every game. It's gonna kill this team.
I can't believe he said that... never heard anything like that before... why would he say something like this and completely throw his GM under the bus

Old
04-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Because he faced the music, wants to play more than get the money and most important, admit that he made a mistake signing that contract. Do you see anybody else admitting they made a mistake here???

Guess that should have been considered prior.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Huh?

The CBA certainly made it more difficult or at least changed certain aspects of it but it was always a risky contract regardless.

Both parties had to be aware of the risks.

To treat Luongo as a victim here is laughable.
I thought the new CBA made it easier. If Lou retires before the end of the contract it's the Canucks who are on the hook. Thats how I understood it anyways.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
RtooDtu

TBH i hope i am not flagged for this. Not trying to troll but explaining why I would not want to trade for Luo.

The reason why Luongo was not traded.

This is how Luo's contract looks like for the last 4yrs and how old he will be,

$3.3m (40 years old)
$1.6m (41 years old)
$1m (42 years old)
$1m (43 years old)

I am not able to do the math but with the new NHL contract WHEN Luo retires he will be costing his club at least $2m against the cap for each of those 4yrs. So in my head when I think of a trade dealing with Luo it looks like this,

Team X
Luo as UFA

Vancouver
1st
centerman
Prospect
Backup goalie

Team X
Luo with contract

Vancouver
Centerman
Backup goalie

That is how detrimental his contract is in my opinion. When Gilles gave that contract to Luo it was made with the intent to keep him there till he retires.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
FanboySlayer*

Luongo is a first class guy, the Canucks organization and many of its fans are simply delusional. Get it through your heads, NOBODY in the NHL values Luongo anywhere near you people do, obviously the contract has a lot to do with it but even without that boat anchor of a contract you still overrate him.

Now that Luongo is on record saying he'll rip up and renegotiate his contract to get out of Vancouver you'll most likely get something for him in the off-season, not much though unless he drastically makes contract concessions. A second rounder or middling prospect is what you'll get.

Old
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando View Post
I can't believe he said that... never heard anything like that before... why would he say something like this and completely throw his GM under the bus
I don't think he was throwing Gillis under the bus. In hindsight he obviously regrets signing such a deal; but I don't think he blames Gillis.

Old
Astoria
#ILEquestrian

AV presser coming up.... This should be fun.....

Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Cando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Why would a team give up anything for him? He said himself he wasn't traded because his contract "sucks" is that going to change in the summer? Nope.

What's going to change is the Canucks have no cap space and a real cap issue heading into next season and everyone knows it. No one will trade for Luongo and help Vancouver out, especially with Luongo's performances this year and back into the playoffs the last couple years.

I don't know what Gillis is going to do, but in my mind a trade is off the table for Luongo. No one is worried about their goaltending situation in the off-season, there's lots of goalies available and Luongo is 34/35 on a horrible contract.
Ugh.... really should have traded him before the season started

Old
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
MISC*

Quote:
Because he was told he was going to be the goaltender for the Canucks for the next 10ish years and offered a contract with that in mind.

Fast forward 3 years and he is being thrown under the bus by his GM for a younger goalie.

The GM also terribly mismanaged the trade. Aired our the laundry every few months on TV/radio.

Luongo is 100% in the right here.

Gillis is a absolute loser in this and im soooooo happy Lu just threw him under the bus.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Quote:
Huh?

The CBA certainly made it more difficult or at least changed certain aspects of it but it was always a risky contract regardless.

Both parties had to be aware of the risks.

To treat Luongo as a victim here is laughable.
We're not treating him as a victim, we're treating him as a person. Sorry for experiencing emapthy.

Old
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I thought the new CBA made it easier. If Lou retires before the end of the contract it's the Canucks who are on the hook. Thats how I understood it anyways.
Both teams are on the hook for their portion is how I understand that issue of the CBA.

The bigger issue of course is the drop in cap which has a few team scrambling.

Old
Chris McKinlay

I still maintain that we can't evaluate things until we see the return for Luongo. People are overreacting too much, but the reality is that nothing has changed. We talked about having a tandem of Luongo and Schneider going into the playoffs and it looks like a reality. Fine by me.

Old
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

#freeLuongo

Old
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Lost in all of Lou's comments in the interview was the fact that he started out with a poo joke.

So... there's at least that.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
His contract only sucks because at the time it was structured and signed, Luongo and gillis had expected Luongo to be a Canuck until he retires. Otherwise, it was fine.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
No. That's about the worst thing anybody could do. If the window closes, who do we build around? Schneider. Schneider's still young and has about 8 years of elite play. Two years of re-tooling and we're back in the thick of things.

Waive Luongo if you have to, but Schneider is the one you'll have to build around.
Trade Schneider for a forward that you can add to the core. The difference between Schneider's top-end and Luongo's would not change much w.r.t. how far this team goes, so the Canucks pretty much have to accept their 'marriage' contract and try and get a difference-maker back for Schneider this summer.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
New CBA really screwed over the Canucks and Luongo. Why am I not surprised.
That's like arguing that someone standing in the middle of a highway is screwed over because DMV switches from right-hand drive to left-hand drive.

It was a risky contract from the get-go. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't, and those involved will pay the consequences.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
We're not treating him as a victim, we're treating him as a person. Sorry for experiencing emapthy.
Yeah that mean old Lonny Bohonos. That uncaring *******.

Once again. Luongo wanted that contract. He pursued that contract and he signed that contract.

Its pretty simple.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
7thGuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Trade Schneider for a forward that you can add to the core. The difference between Schneider's top-end and Luongo's would not change much w.r.t. how far this team goes, so the Canucks pretty much have to accept their 'marriage' contract and try and get a difference-maker back for Schneider this summer.
Exactly. Now that Gillis has tried and failed to trade Lu for a year, he should realize that he need to change his plan. With the cap going down next year, I think we can all savely assume that Lu will not be able to return much, if anything, through trade.

That means the only possibility left is to trade Schneider. Vancouver can still go far in the playoff with Lu. The team as a whole will be better if we can get some important pieces back from a Schneider trade.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
Luongo is a first class guy, the Canucks organization and many of its fans are simply delusional. Get it through your heads, NOBODY in the NHL values Luongo anywhere near you people do, obviously the contract has a lot to do with it but even without that boat anchor of a contract you still overrate him.

Now that Luongo is on record saying he'll rip up and renegotiate his contract to get out of Vancouver you'll most likely get something for him in the off-season, not much though unless he drastically makes contract concessions. A second rounder or middling prospect is what you'll get.
So that's really what he said huh?

Old
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Why would a team give up anything for him? He said himself he wasn't traded because his contract "sucks" is that going to change in the summer? Nope.

What's going to change is the Canucks have no cap space and a real cap issue heading into next season and everyone knows it. No one will trade for Luongo and help Vancouver out, especially with Luongo's performances this year and back into the playoffs the last couple years.

I don't know what Gillis is going to do, but in my mind a trade is off the table for Luongo. No one is worried about their goaltending situation in the off-season, there's lots of goalies available and Luongo is 34/35 on a horrible contract.
If Toronto was interested in him now, what exactly changes three months from now? Toronto is looking to build a long-term contender, not looking to add the final piece to win the cup this year. If you believe Luongo is a very good to elite goalie, he still could be a very good piece to add to a team, and should continue to be good for another 4-5 years. I don't think the cap hit is prohibitive, but it is a terrible contract to trade AND get something of value.

Gillis only wanted to trade Luongo NOW, if he could get something that would help them team more NOW and in the playoffs, than having Luongo as a backup would. He couldn't get that piece, so it didn't make sense to do a deal.

The Leafs would take him for a 3rd or 4th at the draft, which is better than buying him out for the Canucks. I don't think there will be much of a market, but he isn't untradeable. People may be willing to take on the contract, but the price the Canucks may have to pay in order to clear the asset of cap space, might just be very little return.

Closed Thread