HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Why not Danny Briere?

Old
05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Predsrule

vCash: 500
Why not Danny Briere?

So we know that they will try to replace Erat with somthing else other then a kid from the system. The main problem with this as I see it is though he had a had a higer cap hit Erat was only getting 3,750,000 2,250,000 in the next 2 years. one option I would like to see is Danny Briere. I know I know.... But lets consider the following. !) he would become the most skilled player we have had here in a long time right off the bat. 2) while having a big cap hit he is only du to be paid 3mill and then 2mill in the coming years. 3) He will come very very cheap, all signs show phi is going to buy him out this summer for the cap hit alone. so we would get him for next to nothing (lets assume he waves his nmc). 3) I would like to see Ryan Ellis given a shot as a fwd. Briere would be one of the best people in the nhl to help Ellis in this given size and playing style.

to me there is not much better out there for 5mill over 2 years. also we would not need to give up much of anything to get him. and we go from Erat to Briere gets allot more skill in the line up.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think he's a fine target as a UFA if Philly buys him out. We can also offer him top line minutes.

Not really hit in the head with trading for him, unless it's a late pick or SK or something. Even then, not sure his cap hit is worth it.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I think he's a fine target as a UFA if Philly buys him out. We can also offer him top line minutes.

Not really hit in the head with trading for him, unless it's a late pick or SK or something. Even then, not sure his cap hit is worth it.
cap wont matter as we wont be a cap team. I dont see him signing somewhere for less then 3mill so he will prob cost more as a ufa if it gets there.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
dulzhok

Not a bad idea, and there will be no perfect solution given the available options and our current position.

I don't think he'll waive his NMC. He will get a buy-out (next to nothing), and sign a decent contract somewhere else. But that somewhere else will most likely be a playoff team looking for Briere playoff magic (and vice versa). I don't see him signing with a non-playoff team.

Outside of the playoffs, he's played uninspired hockey the last 2 yrs. And this year, with the Philly collapse, he did not come through to lead all their young talent. Past is prime, IMO-- he's saves up all mojo up for the playoffs. We need someone who can play inspired hockey throughout the regular season at this point...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:20 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

I would be more then fine with that. He is a beast in the playoffs and could be our savior to make a push

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
I would be more then fine with that. He is a beast in the playoffs and could be our savior to make a push
Sorry, but no 36 year old who was under .5 PPG this year is going to be saving anything.

I'm fine with adding him, but if he's our savior...yikes.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:26 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Im talking about playoffs, look up his PPG totals in that, then report back....

thanks.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Im talking about playoffs, look up his PPG totals in that, then report back....

thanks.
Ok, misunderstood you. Yeah, he's a playoff beast. I still doubt that we'll be a playoff team next year (we'll see how the off-season goes), particularly a contender, and I'm also afraid he will drop off a bit.

That said, no issue with bringing him in cheaply.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:32 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Granted he is older, but with a track record like his, you really cant go wrong with him on the roster.

If everything was right and he wanted to come here for the right price, I think itd be a better move then adding say, Ray Whitney.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:38 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Granted he is older, but with a track record like his, you really cant go wrong with him on the roster.

If everything was right and he wanted to come here for the right price, I think itd be a better move then adding say, Ray Whitney.
Well it didn't exactly go right in Philly with him this year.

Sure he's a playoff beast, but we actually have to GET to the playoffs.

Whitney has to be 50 by now.

He'll go to a contender looking for playoff magic, and will coast most fo the reg season.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Danny Briere is an atheist when it comes to playing defense: he doesn't believe it exists. So I don't think he'd work with Trotz.

05-01-2013, 07:57 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Well it didn't exactly go right in Philly with him this year.

Sure he's a playoff beast, but we actually have to GET to the playoffs.

Whitney has to be 50 by now.

He'll go to a contender looking for playoff magic, and will coast most fo the reg season.
Philly didn't even make it to the playoffs.

This is all hypothetical, in case you haven't noticed.

Age is just a number. Teemu Selanne blah blah.

Last statement will probably hold true.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Nothing Is New

After watching him play a few minutes, Trotz would walk out on the ice and club Briere like a baby seal.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Don't want

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Clutch playoff scorer, but doesn't play a lick of defense. Unless we can scratch him until the playoffs, no thanks.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Byrddog

I like the guy but not at the salary he has. Philly may have to bite the bullet on him. They are 3 mil over the cap now and need to resign a couple players and next year Giroux will need a new contract. Could not happen to a better bunch. The one player on the Flyers I would like is Sean Couturier yeah he has had a rough couple years but thats what happens when you do not develop a guy and throw them in. He should come back next year. And while Kimmo gets on my nerves I would not be against him coming back to play with Klein a year or two.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote