HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Major Junior hockey in Canada as big as College Football in the States?

View Poll Results: Is Major Junior hockey in Canada as big as College Football in the States?
Bigger 1 1.09%
Same/Comparable 3 3.26%
Smaller 88 95.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2013, 12:00 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Is Major Junior hockey in Canada as big as College Football in the States?

Curious, is Junior hockey as a big of a deal and moneymaker as NCAA Football? Is the championship a huge deal like our BCS championship?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
It's a big deal up north, but it's definitely smaller comparatively. College football's arguably bigger than Major League Baseball nationwide, or at the very least a very close third place behind it, and is ahead of the NFL is a lot of places.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Yeah, I was wondering because a lot of people in the States are attached to college sports because of the school they went to, and that not the same as Junior hockey.

Do Canadians follow those drafts like we follow signing day and the recruiting process? I'd imagine they do, but I've wondered for awhile.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
ChroniK

vCash: 500
I'm Canadian and I couldn't name 2 players that play on the Vancouver Giants. I have no reason to follow the Giants or anyone else in the WHL because I have to Canucks to watch instead. However, it may be different from those who do not live in an NHL city.

That being said, I used to follow the Giants from time to time when Gilbert Brule was on the team.

ChroniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:12 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

Much smaller.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
almostawake

No.

I'd say that the popularity of a given small town junior team, within that specific small town, is comparable to the popularity of a big football program in a smallish college town.

But what makes college football (and basketball) much more popular overall is the fact that every year, each team adds literally thousands of new fans. After 4 years those young fans move on but a significant percentage carry their fandom for the rest of their life.

On the economics side demographics also play a big role too. Fans of college sports have much higher rates of college education, disposable income, etc. than average. It results in a lot of adversing money.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

The CHL entry drafts are an almost non-existant event in Canada. Mostly people only follow the team in their own city, and even then they can't name many players on the team unless they are a highly rated draft prospect. Players like Mackinnon, Drouin, Strome and Scheifele are known pretty nationwide due to being high picks and having been on the WJC team, but even Seth Jones is a pretty unknown name. I would say that NCAA football is a much bigger event due to better nationwide coverage (CHL gets one game per week for the entire league, and it's not even on the biggest network), as well as people from all over the country having various allegiances to different colleges

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Major junior is a big deal in the cities with teams (esp. if they're smaller towns) but their nationwide appeal isn't impressive. So to speak, the CHL doesn't have a lot of "casual' appeal, even during the Memorial Cup.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Huh, interesting, thanks for the insight.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Tommy Torini
Hell of a thing baby

Yeah, I'd say it's smaller.

Tommy Torini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

WJC is a big deal here, but the actual CHL teams are not at all important in relation to even something like the CFL.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Not even close.

Better question is the NHL in Canada close to NCAA Football in the US.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Spitsfan67*

Well i find it hilarious that its americans and some canadians in NHL cities answering for this question. In some parts of canada Like Windsor, London, Kitchener, Ottawa, Quebec, and so on its Juniour hockey by a mile, i mean me personally i cant name 5 players in all of the NCAA, in the CHL i can name 100+ off the top of my head ATLEAST so in some areas CHL Dominates and in others and definetly all of the States its NCAA that Dominates ....

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:43 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Well i find it hilarious that its americans and some canadians in NHL cities answering for this question. In some parts of canada Like Windsor, London, Kitchener, Ottawa, Quebec, and so on its Juniour hockey by a mile, i mean me personally i cant name 5 players in all of the NCAA, in the CHL i can name 100+ off the top of my head ATLEAST so in some areas CHL Dominates and in others and definetly all of the States its NCAA that Dominates ....
Re-read the op before you get too worked up.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Inkling
"Let's win it all"

I read somewhere that Junior Hockey is the most popular spectator sport in Canada. In other words, more people purchase tickets to watch a junior hockey game than any other sport in the country. When you consider how many teams are in the CHL, it's not hard to see why it probably beats the NHL and CFL in raw ticket sales. Obviously once you add in TV and consider revenue rather than just ticket sales, then its a different story.

It probably occupies a similar spot in the culture of a lot of the smaller cities and towns in Canada as college football does in the US, but TV and $-wise college football is a lot bigger.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
StringerBell

Not even close. American college football has to be the most popular amateur sports league in the world bar none.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
firstemperor

I'm ignorant to this matter obviously, but high school/college football appears to be a way of life for some cities in the U.S. Don't get me wrong, some cities in Canada love their hockey, but literally speaking, it appears football at times supersedes law. And I think people know where I'm getting at. That's just my outside opinion.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
dre2112

I live in Los Angeles and the popularity of USC football here is almost as big (if not better) than Lakers basketball depending on who's better. There isn't a major city in the NHL that follows their CHL team as remotely close to their NHL counterpart.

I also know many people who watch college ball and don't give a lick about the NFL, but don't know too many NFL fans that don't watch college ball

dre2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:55 PM
blueNwhite89

Not even remotely close, lol

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflstomper View Post
Re-read the op before you get too worked up.
Whats your Point? I said CHL Hockey is Bigger in curtain areas in Canada then NCAA Football and i am Right... Most people in Windsor would rather go and watch the Spits game then watch NCAA football, and To CHL fans The Memorial Cup is a big prize and its a hard Championship to win you have to Win your league and take down the best teams from the other two leagues. In the States its not even a thought and thats why every single american that came on her say its not even close and it isnt in the States, Football is like a freakin religion i mean the Plymouth Whalers are one of the best CHL Teams and have made the playoffs 19 straight seasons and there arena was supposedly half empty for playoffs? in Aplace like Windsor or London its a sold out game days before the actual game day. In Alot of Canadian Cities its CHL, in some Canadian Cities that dont have a juniour team they would probably lean towards NCAA.Obviously NCAA is a bigger money maker, more seats in the stands and National TV Coverage equals more revenue coming in its common sense.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Oil Nation

The only thing that would be comparable in my mind would be the World Juniors in Canada to College Football in the States

Oil Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Whats your Point? I said CHL Hockey is Bigger in curtain areas in Canada then NCAA Football and i am Right... Most people in Windsor would rather go and watch the Spits game then watch NCAA football, and To CHL fans The Memorial Cup is a big prize and its a hard Championship to win you have to Win your league and take down the best teams from the other two leagues. In the States its not even a thought and thats why every single american that came on her say its not even close and it isnt in the States, Football is like a freakin religion i mean the Plymouth Whalers are one of the best CHL Teams and have made the playoffs 19 straight seasons and there arena was supposedly half empty for playoffs? in Aplace like Windsor or London its a sold out game days before the actual game day. In Alot of Canadian Cities its CHL, in some Canadian Cities that dont have a juniour team they would probably lean towards NCAA.Obviously NCAA is a bigger money maker, more seats in the stands and National TV Coverage equals more revenue coming in its common sense.
Yeah, and I'm sure that in some areas of the U.S. cricket is bigger than other sports, granted these tend to be limited to a few blocks here and there with large Indo-Pakistani communities.

No one would deny that the CHL is a big deal, and might even be bigger than the NHL in some areas, but the question being asked was if its popularity in Canada was comparable to the popularity of NCAA football in the United States, and everyone is rightfully saying no. Comparatively, college football is much bigger throughout the U.S. than major junior hockey is throughout Canada. That's all anyone is saying.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Yeah, I was wondering because a lot of people in the States are attached to college sports because of the school they went to, and that not the same as Junior hockey.

Do Canadians follow those drafts like we follow signing day and the recruiting process? I'd imagine they do, but I've wondered for awhile.
I would say its more comparable to High School Footbal in the states. Same type of fandom that exists more in the smaller towns than in the bigger cities. Maybe with interest thats a little closer to College Football.

But I would say from my understanding of High School football in the States, its closer to that.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:25 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Nation View Post
The only thing that would be comparable in my mind would be the World Juniors in Canada to College Football in the States
I would say the WJC is closer to the NCAA basketball tournament

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I'm comparing CHL in Canada to NCAA in America, not CHL in Canada to NCAA in Canada or CHL in States to NCAA in States. I was just genuinely curious in the Canadian's following of the CHL.