HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NFL mandating cameras in locker rooms, replays on stadium screens

Old
04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT: NFL mandating cameras in locker rooms, replays on stadium screens

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=419854

Quote:
The NFL has ordered all teams to have cameras in their locker rooms next season, with video shown only on stadium scoreboards. It's part of Commissioner Roger Goodell's initiative for "enhancing the fan experience in our stadiums."

The videos will be available on team apps as well.
Teams also will be required to show all replays available during a video review on the video boards, not just those the home team would choose -- ones that might be favourable to the host club.
One complaint I've heard about attending NFL games is that you get better sitelines and replays at home.

This might be a concerted effort by NFL and teams to improve the live game experience (to improve attendance).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
i'm not sure players/coaches will like the intrusion of cameras into "their space".

what's the goal here? televising coaches' pep talks?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

The Canes have added this to their dressing room at PNC. We get a short live clip of the team getting ready to come out of the ice before each period - in a way it's kind of cool to see it, but at the same time you have to wonder if there's some warning light or something to let the players know when they're about to be put on candid camera, so to speak.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I've always wondered how athletes feel about having camera crews in the locker room. Personally, and entirely based on my own experiences, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with having a camera guy standing there filming that kind of semi-private interaction. You may as well just come out on the ice at that point.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:19 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i'm not sure players/coaches will like the intrusion of cameras into "their space".

what's the goal here? televising coaches' pep talks?
Guessing there's no sound, just images.

Sharks have cameras in dressing room. During pregame show the guys prepping sticks, some dressing (after partially dressed to cover privates) usually via handheld camers. During intermissions show the guys resting, hydrating, and some state of disrobing (i.e., jerseys/pads/shirts off) via fixed cameras.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
The NFL essentially has the opposite problem that the NHL has. Whereas the NHL has a product that's downright fantastic live but loses a lot in the transition to the TV, the NFL has turned the sport of football into an amazing TV experience, to the point where a lot of sports economists and NFL insiders are talking about how they can make the live experience more like the home experience.

More TV screens, more replays, more access to fantasy sports, more access to other games, etc., etc.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

If we can have another Ines Sainz incident and this time, it's recorded, then I'm all for it.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I think most people who have never been inside a football locker room are going to be sorely disappointed if they were able to see even the entirety of a halftime from "behind the scenes".

90% of it is devoted to adjustments, 5% to rehydrating, and 5% to either a quick statement or simply standing around waiting for halftime to end. In my years in football, I was only there for one Hollywood-style blowup, and countless others that follow that formula above. Usually the only thing said outside of adjustments is something like, "Guys, we're down by 10 points, but we're in good shape. We had some bad breaks, and they got some lucky bounces, but we're adjusting and they're thinking they can do the same. If we take it to them, we'll get out of here with a win." And that's it.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
The NFL essentially has the opposite problem that the NHL has. Whereas the NHL has a product that's downright fantastic live but loses a lot in the transition to the TV, the NFL has turned the sport of football into an amazing TV experience, to the point where a lot of sports economists and NFL insiders are talking about how they can make the live experience more like the home experience.

More TV screens, more replays, more access to fantasy sports, more access to other games, etc., etc.
This, pretty much.

When I go to an NFL game I feel like I'm missing out on a lot, but it's fun anyway, though for me I think I enjoy the pre-game and post-game tailgating outside of University of Phoenix Stadium more than the actual live game experience. That's also a situation I could replicate by, say, hosting a barbeque at my house starting an hour or two before kickoff, and I could do it for away games too. It's just that for me personally the people I'd want to invite mostly go to the game instead, but I can buy a cheap seat and go along with them a few times a year.

When I go to an NHL game I feel like I'm missing nothing. I'm a hockey referee myself so I understand signals and actually keep an eye on the refs/linesmen quite a bit to stay informed, then if there's a complex penalty situation they explain it over a wireless microphone these days anyway. If I watch on TV it's just not the same and I'd rather be at the game if I could. (The reverse isn't true for the NFL since I usually just get really drunk on game days and at no point have I ever thought to myself, "I wish I'd watched this on TV instead")

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Yeah, football pretty simply just isn't a good live sport. Sure, it's nice being able to see the whole field and see the DBs who you never see to start the play on TV. But the game has sooo much down time, that it flows better on TV where they can insert replays and stats during the huddle.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Ludwig Fell Down

If the NFL wants to improve the in-person expeience, in addition to better replays they should show Red Zone-like highlights of other games during the breaks. I don't see how a camera in the locker room would entice people to go to a game who otherwise wouldn't.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 7125
well Deadspin will be happy, should be a lot more unintentional dong shots now

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote