HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steven Stamkos

Old
10-26-2016, 06:08 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Steven Stamkos

Maybe the most encouraging thing about Stamkos this season is how much he's shooting. He now has what - 23, 24 shots in 6 games? And he's shooting from everywhere.

It's learning.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 06:46 AM
PaulGG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man View Post
Maybe the most encouraging thing about Stamkos this season is how much he's shooting. He now has what - 23, 24 shots in 6 games? And he's shooting from everywhere.

It's learning.
He is clearly having fun this year. Pretty obvious that contact crap last year did have an effect and distract him at times.

PaulGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 11:07 AM
FinnLightning26

Watched the game after I got home from work. Stamkos looks so much better than the last two years. Where was this guy? He's shooting again, playing with speed and not making dumb ****ing plays 20 times a game. He's playing with better players now but it's not just that. He has simplified his game a lot it seems. Hopefully he can keep this up. If we get this Stamkos consistently I have no problems with his contract.

Damn, I missed this guy.

FinnLightning26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 11:16 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

He's still making some creative plays. That pass to Hedman for his scoring chance before the goal was Vinny-esque. The slap pass a few games ago on the PP to set up a tap-in.

It's just he's not doing the cute plays all the time. He's ripping shots from everywhere now. I'm sure if you look at his goal chart from the past few years the goals are coming largely from the same area - this year he's already scoring from all angles, which makes him much harder to defend.

Old
10-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Sky04

Quote:
He's still making some creative plays. That pass to Hedman for his scoring chance before the goal was Vinny-esque. The slap pass a few games ago on the PP to set up a tap-in.

It's just he's not doing the cute plays all the time. He's ripping shots from everywhere now. I'm sure if you look at his goal chart from the past few years the goals are coming largely from the same area - this year he's already scoring from all angles, which makes him much harder to defend.
2 disgusting vintage Stamkos shots in the past 4 games, it seemed like we only said that once or twice all of last season.

Last nights shot was just a heads up bomb, zero hesitation, just like the old Stamkos. Picked his spot and hammered it in, also Sustr with the very Kurtis Foster-lite pass perfectly on Stamkos's stick. Maybe he's the secret to brining back that one-timer.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:40 PM
DFC

I like seeing him fly up the right side again too, carrying the puck without trying to dipsy-doodle like Flip/Drouin/Kuch. Stammer's always been best at top speed or standing still. Nothing in between.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 03:37 PM
DaBolts
2017 The Year of Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky04 View Post
2 disgusting vintage Stamkos shots in the past 4 games, it seemed like we only said that once or twice all of last season.

Last nights shot was just a heads up bomb, zero hesitation, just like the old Stamkos. Picked his spot and hammered it in, also Sustr with the very Kurtis Foster-lite pass perfectly on Stamkos's stick. Maybe he's the secret to brining back that one-timer.
What's scary is his minutes are down but shooting percentage is up (21.7% per TSN +3.83 SoG per game).

If Stammer is on a Tom Brady like tour this season where he says 'watch this' to every team, it's going to be brutal on opposing team's goaltenders...

DaBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 03:58 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBolts View Post
What's scary is his minutes are down but shooting percentage is up (21.7% per TSN +3.83 SoG per game).

If Stammer is on a Tom Brady like tour this season where he says 'watch this' to every team, it's going to be brutal on opposing team's goaltenders...
Well before the last game his S% was around 15. His career average is probably around 17% I think - which is great.

I am not expecting him to maintain 21% (although I think that is what he shot in his 60g year). But if he maintains his shot volume and still pots between 15-17%, he's going to end up close to 50 goals.

Basically - Stamkos has fantastic accuracy. The problem the past few years is he passed up too many shots. He's not doing that this year - if it keeps up he's going to look fantastic.

Old
10-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Actually...the scary thing is it looks like we have a PP this season. He blew up the league before his 60 goal season in large part with the help of Kurtis Foster on the PP. His 60 goal season was mostly done on the PP. If he could combine the two efforts he could reach an even higher mark. Could be tougher to do or easier depending on how you look at the impact of the talent around him.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Bandit Keith

His passes seem to be connecting more as well. That was one of the things that bugged me the most last year, Stamkos would a) pass too much and b) make awful passes. So far his passes have been pretty good, not great but at least he isn't turning it over or over-shooting his passes.

Bandit Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 07:32 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Actually...the scary thing is it looks like we have a PP this season. He blew up the league before his 60 goal season in large part with the help of Kurtis Foster on the PP. His 60 goal season was mostly done on the PP. If he could combine the two efforts he could reach an even higher mark. Could be tougher to do or easier depending on how you look at the impact of the talent around him.
Actually his 60 goal season was largely even strength. 48 ES goals, 12 PP goals.

Edit: Reading the context I think you just misspoke and we're in agreement. But even then, I don't see him returning to 60 goal form. If I remember, 48 ES goals was stupid high on career lists when adjusted for era.

Last edited by The Macho Man: 10-26-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old
10-26-2016, 09:10 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Moved a couple GDT posts to this new thread. Carry on!

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 09:36 PM
DFC

Quote:
Well before the last game his S% was around 15. His career average is probably around 17% I think - which is great.

I am not expecting him to maintain 21% (although I think that is what he shot in his 60g year). But if he maintains his shot volume and still pots between 15-17%, he's going to end up close to 50 goals.

Basically - Stamkos has fantastic accuracy. The problem the past few years is he passed up too many shots. He's not doing that this year - if it keeps up he's going to look fantastic.
His shot has LOOKED better though. I think it was you who mentioned last season that it looked like his shot had regressed, and I agree. But the years prior to the broken leg, he shot at least 18.5. I think the sample size (3 years) was too big for it to be a fluke (someone can correct me if I'm wrong; but even if it was, we're talking, conservatively, a 17% shooter). Maybe he can't get back to that, but if indeed his shot had regressed, and if indeed it's improved again this year, we can probably expect the shooting % to go up.

The shot looks better. The instincts look better. Definitely better linemates. This is pretty much a best case scenario so far.

Old
10-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Obviously

Looks good, about time

Obviously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Quote:
Actually his 60 goal season was largely even strength. 48 ES goals, 12 PP goals.

Edit: Reading the context I think you just misspoke and we're in agreement. But even then, I don't see him returning to 60 goal form. If I remember, 48 ES goals was stupid high on career lists when adjusted for era.
Yep that's what I meant

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 11:34 PM
StoneColdStevYzerman
Yzerman 3:16

vCash: 400
Need about 350 shots at 17% to hit 60. That's a talllllll order.

StoneColdStevYzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 12:39 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdStevYzerman View Post
Need about 350 shots at 17% to hit 60. That's a talllllll order.
How about 45 from Stammer and 45 from Kuch? Barry Trotz would allow them to each go -17 if they could pull that off.

Old
10-27-2016, 12:55 AM
StoneColdStevYzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
How about 45 from Stammer and 45 from Kuch? Barry Trotz would allow them to each go -17 if they could pull that off.
I'll take it.

Old
10-27-2016, 02:02 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

It's as if the last two seasons never happened for him. That's the guy we all fell in love with. Snipe it from every angle you get, skate hard, no ******** passes and the notorious Stammer onetimer on the PP. Love it!

Old
10-27-2016, 03:28 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
His shot has LOOKED better though. I think it was you who mentioned last season that it looked like his shot had regressed, and I agree. But the years prior to the broken leg, he shot at least 18.5. I think the sample size (3 years) was too big for it to be a fluke (someone can correct me if I'm wrong; but even if it was, we're talking, conservatively, a 17% shooter). Maybe he can't get back to that, but if indeed his shot had regressed, and if indeed it's improved again this year, we can probably expect the shooting % to go up.

The shot looks better. The instincts look better. Definitely better linemates. This is pretty much a best case scenario so far.
That was me, but yeah, miles better, makes a difference when he's not hesitating.

His one-timers last year were awful, high or into the goalies chest all the time. His 2 nicest shots this year were one-timers.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:30 AM
Sky04

A lot of his struggles look like he it had to do with him forcing himself to play a more "captain" like game, and have an all around impact.

Guess he just said "**** it" this year.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:00 AM
StoneColdStevYzerman

Quote:
A lot of his struggles look like he it had to do with him forcing himself to play a more "captain" like game, and have an all around impact.

I agree and I hope he's not trying to be the Toews-but-playmaker hybrid thing he was trying last year.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:06 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

Quote:

Well in the off-season he had time to read through three 40-page "Stammergeddon" threads here so he better change his approach!

Old
10-27-2016, 06:20 AM
The Gongshow
The Farm Is For Sale

I think its a mix of contract, heeled leg, being captain for a couple seasons now.

He tried to be something he's not. He's not a full on play maker. He has flashes of it but he is a pure goal scorer and is right up there as 1 & 2 with Ovi on best shot in the league.

Glad he's finally shooting again and has looked like a real threat again again. This is the Stamkos we know and love. Glad he's having a good start, hope it continues all season long! for many years!

The Gongshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

If he isn't shooting, he really shouldn't be on the ice. That sounds really simplistic, but its true, its his best asset, and he does it better than pretty much all but three people.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote