HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-03-2013, 03:38 PM
MrAlfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
Gaborik is so much better than Brassard that it's kind of hilarious to see arguments saying the Rangers didn't lose scoring here.
I am pretty sure most would agree with your "skill" assessment. However, if Gaborik is so much of a better player, why aren't we seeing Gaborik on top of every scoring list?
There is a point when people need to stop blaming coaches for a player's production.
Gaborik was fine last year, with the same coach. It's not like Tortorella moved him to D. Gaborik also isn't playing Goalie, so why isn't he scoring much more? Is it really all in the system that hinders Marian Gaborik from simply taking the puck and hitting the net?

I personally don't like Gabby gone, just as I didn't like Jagr gone, Gretzky gone, Messier 1 gone and many others.
Gabby is 31 and I'm pretty sure theoretically he should have at least one or 2 good years left in him. But nobody gets younger (save Selanne) and there is a time to move one. Sather did just fine. He moved one, shed salary and changed the look of this team for the better. I know that a lot of people see the Rangers problem as not being able to put the puck in the net. That certainly IS a problem, but it is not as much of a problem as being manhandle by Montreal, Ottawa, Penguins and other teams. No team is afraid of playing the Rangers. They know nothing is going to happen to them if they come into MSG because there was no grit. Rangers will do fine with scoring next year. This year let them worry about biting into the playoffs, Gaborik wasn't doing his job so I don't see a problem with replacing him with other's that WILL do their job.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

The entire Rangers roster can't score. Time for Tortorella to go. Gabby will be scoring once again, this time with the Blue Jackets.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Gaborik will play well next season. Especially when Columbus is moving to the same division next season

Ave Maria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Gaborik was fine last year, with the same coach. It's not like Tortorella moved him to D. Gaborik also isn't playing Goalie, so why isn't he scoring much more? Is it really all in the system that hinders Marian Gaborik from simply taking the puck and hitting the net?
Don't bring logic into the discussion, man. It's clearly all on Torts.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
jameswrjobe53

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 19m
As part of Gaborik trade, D Steven Delisle, 22, and D Blake Parlett, 23, also headed to Blue Jackets.
Retweeted 46 times
Expand

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
nwaZ

Who is going to score goals in NY now? Nash and then?

nwaZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The entire Rangers roster can't score. Time for Tortorella to go. Gabby will be scoring once again, this time with the Blue Jackets.
Yeah, the coach that he scored 40 goals under twice was definitely holding him back.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Puckgenius*

The reason why the Rangers cant score is cause of Torts system. It has no offensive freedom for the players.

Bring in an offensive coach like marc Crawford.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 19m
As part of Gaborik trade, D Steven Delisle, 22, and D Blake Parlett, 23, also headed to Blue Jackets.
Retweeted 46 times
Expand
Wasn't delisle one of the pieces in the Nash trade?

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CaptainCally

I don't get why people say that just one side won this trade. Both sides are winners IMO.

CBJ gets a highscoring winger, they need goalscoring and that's what they get with Gaborik. Gaborik thrives when he's the star which he will be in Columbus. He's gonna be good for them IMO. And they will use him as a RW not like the Rangers did this season and played him on the left side... .

It's a bit risky though from CBJ's POV. Gabby is only signed for one more year and he's 31 years old so who knows if he'll stay or try the market when the deal is up.

Rangers get depth back which they needed after the Nash deal. They got a better player in Nash and younger (and he's signed longterm) they now get a checking depth fwd (Dorsett) and a top 4 RD in Moore which they really needed. They also get a 2nd/3rd C that will chip in offensievely.

Rangers fixed their problems. They needed gritty depth fwds that can score they adressed that with Clowe, Dorsett. Brassard will also help with his speed and he'll put up more points than Boyle (lol). They can send Kreider and Miller down (which they did a few hrs before this trade) so they can get time to develop.

Rangers shed salary which they would've needed to do sooner rather than later so a trade like this was imminent.

Rangers need:

- Clear salary

- Top 4 RD

- 2nd line LW

- Hardworking depth players

- 3rd line C (Brassard is young, which is a bonus. Especially with how Richards been playing)

All these needs were filled.

So they did good. The only bad things is that we got no 1st or 2nd in such a deep draft .

I feel good for Gabby, glad that he doesn't have to deal with Torts. Just wish he was fired, hopefully after this season.

I wish CBJ well, not too well though since they're gonna be in our conference, in our div starting next season. They got a great future ahead of them. Especially with these 3 first round picks.

Man it's gonna be hilarious to have them in our division, so many players jumping back and forth between the teams. Crazy! Gonna be a lot of familiar faces for both organizations.

Good deal in general. Watch for CBJ and Rangers make the playoffs. Gabby is gonna shine as the star in CBJ and Rangers got grittier and more balanced scoring.

I have a feeling both teams are going to benefit from this trade. Even deal IMO.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
I am pretty sure most would agree with your "skill" assessment. However, if Gaborik is so much of a better player, why aren't we seeing Gaborik on top of every scoring list?
There is a point when people need to stop blaming coaches for a player's production.

I personally don't like Gabby gone, just as I didn't like Jagr gone, Gretzky gone, Messier 1 gone and many others.
Gabby is 31 and I'm pretty sure theoretically he should have at least one or 2 good years left in him. But nobody gets younger (save Selanne) and there is a time to move one. Sather did just fine. He moved one, shed salary and changed the look of this team for the better. I know that a lot of people see the Rangers problem as not being able to put the puck in the net. That certainly IS a problem, but it is not as much of a problem as being manhandle by Montreal, Ottawa, Penguins and other teams. No team is afraid of playing the Rangers. They know nothing is going to happen to them if they come into MSG because there was no grit. Rangers will do fine with scoring next year. This year let them worry about biting into the playoffs, Gaborik wasn't doing his job so I don't see a problem with replacing him with other's that WILL do their job.
I'm looking at the body of work and how Gaborik is being used on the opposite wing that he should be. I've seen a lot of Brassard, and I don't see him improving anymore. I hope he does for him, because I like him. Gaborik scored 40 last year. I'm excited to see what he can do in a new system (not blaming Torts here!) and a new city. I think he'll love the embrace he gets from Columbus, a team and city who will be excited to have a guy of his talent level.

I just see no downsides to this deal from the Jackets POV. If Gaborik doesn't work out, they'll have lots of cap space to work with after next season. Win-win. And honestly, I can't believe I'm actually debating with people whether Gaborik is better than Brassard or not. Brassard has three full seasons under his belt and his career year was 17g/47p. He is not improving, either.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Yeah, the coach that he scored 40 goals under twice was definitely holding him back.
Coaches like Torts have short shelf lives. Maybe he's just tired of Tortorella incessantly yelling at him.

Obviously Rangers fans would be more familiar with the situation than I, I'm just piecing things together given that the entire Rangers team is under-performing and can't score this season.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
CBJ became a WORSE team by adding Gaborik, that's tough to do.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on why....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:49 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Sather is destroying this team, they essentially remove Gaborik for Nash. Richards wont be back next year so this will be Nashs team.

Im pretty sure 99.9% of people on here would rather have Gaborik than Nash.
I am the .1%

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckgenius*

Gaborik = 3 time 40+ goals, 2 time 80+ pts, single handedly destroyed the Nucks in the playoffs in 05/06.

Nash = 2 time 40 + goals, 1 time 70+ pts, has played 4 playoff games.

Ill take Gaborik. People forget that this guy put up 41 goals last year playing with Stepan and Animisosov.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CaptainCally

Quote:
Coaches like Torts have short shelf lives. Maybe he's just tired of Tortorella incessantly yelling at him.

Obviously Rangers fans would be more familiar with the situation than I, I'm just piecing things together given that the entire Rangers team is under-performing and can't score this season.
Exactly. Gaborik is a moody player, and having a coach like Torts takes it toll. And then they made Gabby play LW where he's never played before. I'm glad for Gaborik, no more Torts. He gets to be the #1 guy and play RW again in CBJ. He will thrive there IMO.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Moore has his ups and downs, and really needs consistent playing time to just develop. This season, he was outplayed by Tim Erixon and Dalton Prout, and has had a number of nagging injuries that have kept him out of the lineup.

He's a great kid with a good attitude and a ton of talent, but he's still a young player who needs ice time and will make mistakes.
No doubt. But he's not a potential top-pairing defender. He's potential second pairing, with a strong likelihood he doesn't meet that potential.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
haveandare

Quote:

Getting yelled at turns a 40 goal scorer into a 20 goal scorer? Makes a skater that used to have the best first step in the league lose that? Takes the quick release and hard shot away from a player?

It's my opinion, sure, but it's based on watching every game so far this year. Gaborik is fighting it. His most important skills appear to be declining. Maybe it's due to injury or attitude or something, but it's not due to the coaching because that hasn't changed since he scored 40.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Gaborik = 3 time 40+ goals, 2 time 80+ pts, single handedly destroyed the Nucks in the playoffs in 05/06.

Ill take Gaborik. People forget that this guy put up 41 goals last year playing with Stepan and Animisosov.
Nash has a better all-around game, and look at his linemates when he was with Columbus. Stepan and Anisimov are like all-stars in comparison. Manny Malhotra was a #1C by default there for a while.

/deja vu

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Corsi Close

Good trade for both sides.

MAYBE slight edge to Rangers because if Gaborik's play this year.

Corsi Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Holy ****! This was ou of nowhere. Poor Nash

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:53 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Wasn't delisle one of the pieces in the Nash trade?
The Jackets moved him to burn a contract and we are doing the same by giving him back to them. Not really a piece. Just a contract.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
illpucks

Columbus got hosed. Gaborik is streaky, he is not worth that much. He is also injured frequently. Rangers win this trade hands down.

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CaptainCally

Quote:

Gaborik is older, signed to a shorter deal and is really streaky. I rather have Nash. Nash is creating havoc every time he's on the ice. Gabby floats and he can't deke or carry the puck to save his life. He always goes 5-hole on breakaways and shootouts and the goaltenders knows this. CBJ are gonna hate that with him. Good scorer no doubt. But Nash brings so much more to the table.

Nash is physical, he wears down the opponents. He can carry and shield the puck (Jagr-esque in his puckshielding, he's build like a truck). He's a factor at all time. Gabby not so much.

Rather have Nash.

Old
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
This is just hating for the sake of hating.

Moore has solid potential and Brassard fills a huge void for us at C.

I like this trade... ALOT.
Agreed! Once you accept the fact the Rangers were going to have to move Gabby due to the salary cap and stellar play of guys like Stepan and McDonagh. When Steps is locked up long term and Clowe is resigned, everyone will be happy it happened and it wouldn't have if Gabby's salary was still on the books.

Adding Clowe and Zuccarello adds some offensive depth. You don't replace an elite talent like Gabby, though since moving Prospal, it's been hard to get him to develop chemistry with anyone. He's now going back to join VP so good for him and the Jackets.

Trading Gabby now, rather than post season or at the deadline, the Rangers are in a position to capitalize on their return as during the offseason they're in a position where they're forced to make a move. Instead, moving him now you're able to sell to a buyer.

The Rangers are young and good and have more youth OTW and developing. Kreider will get better, Miller will get better, Fasth is coming, Lindberg is coming. Nash is 28, Gabby is 31. Rangers are building to be a contender for years rather than going all in for just this season and after this season Gabby is gone.....Great Deal!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote