HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Islanderfan17

vCash: 500
IMO Gaborik will thrive in Columbus, I've always liked him as a player so it's nice not to see him in Rangers colors anymore.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:55 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Columbus got hosed. Gaborik is streaky, he is not worth that much. He is also injured frequently. Rangers win this trade hands down.
Not true, not anymore at least. He's played over 91% of the games the last 3 and a half years here in NY.

He is streaky though.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
IMO Gaborik will thrive in Columbus, I've always liked him as a player so it's nice not to see him in Rangers colors anymore.
Columbus has the same colours

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Nikita Filatov

Sorry if it's been posted already, but any idea on what lines the Rangers could ice now? Next year? Going to have to watch a lot of games now.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

It's probably been discussed already but, will either of the ex-Rangers center Gabby or they got someone else in mind?

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Decent trade for both teams. Gaborik has been cold this season but might turn it around in Columbus. Brassard is a question mark but could pan out, Moore looks promising and Dorsett is decent bottom 6 player. The Rangers clear some cap space and the Jackets get much needed scoring help.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Gaborik is older, signed to a shorter deal and is really streaky. I rather have Nash. Nash is creating havoc every time he's on the ice. Gabby floats and he can't deke or carry the puck to save his life. He always goes 5-hole on breakaways and shootouts and the goaltenders knows this. CBJ are gonna hate that with him. Good scorer no doubt. But Nash brings so much more to the table.

Nash is physical, he wears down the opponents. He can carry and shield the puck (Jagr-esque in his puckshielding, he's build like a truck). He's a factor at all time. Gabby not so much.

Rather have Nash
And Clowe adds to that kind of play. I know Clowe's stats are down this year, but anyone who likes Dubinsky or Callahan's game will love Clowe. The guy is an all out BEAST! Pound you to the boards, score a goal, and if you don't like it, beat the snot outta you! Very tough to play against a team of guys like that. They just wear you down.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
It's probably been discussed already but, will either of the ex-Rangers center Gabby or they got someone else in mind?
I'd be shocked if he didn't play on a line with Vinny P. They just played too good with each other.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
I'm looking at the body of work and how Gaborik is being used on the opposite wing that he should be. I've seen a lot of Brassard, and I don't see him improving anymore. I hope he does for him, because I like him. Gaborik scored 40 last year. I'm excited to see what he can do in a new system (not blaming Torts here!) and a new city. I think he'll love the embrace he gets from Columbus, a team and city who will be excited to have a guy of his talent level.

I just see no downsides to this deal from the Jackets POV. If Gaborik doesn't work out, they'll have lots of cap space to work with after next season. Win-win. And honestly, I can't believe I'm actually debating with people whether Gaborik is better than Brassard or not. Brassard has three full seasons under his belt and his career year was 17g/47p. He is not improving, either.

How is Gabby being used? Is Torts explicitly telling him "do not shoot towards the goal I tell ya!"?

Overall it is far from as bad as you might think it is. This takes care of business for both teams. I am not claiming that CLB got fleeced. They received a great POTENTIAL sniper who is having a stinky year. I really hope Gabby comes back, but at this point in time the Rangers can't afford to hope and wait for Gabby to break out again.
This is as even of a trade as there can be given the current circumstances. Last year you might have had a point with everything that you have said, however last year is last year.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Agreed! Once you accept the fact the Rangers were going to have to move Gabby due to the salary cap and stellar play of guys like Stepan and McDonagh. When Steps is locked up long term and Clowe is resigned, everyone will be happy it happened and it wouldn't have if Gabby's salary was still on the books.
This strikes me as a rationalization. If it were about the offseason, why not wait till the offseason?

This is so very obviously about the coach.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwaZ View Post
Maybe Nash is a team killer.
Or maybe Richards isn't in proper shape and Gaborik is struggling to adjust his game in light of losing his elite release and first step, both of which have been noticeably absent this season. NYR are struggling because two of their "big 3" didn't show up this season and Sather completely screwed up the bottom 6 in the off season. Nash has done nothing but add to the team since coming. He's been with Stepan most of the year, and Stepan looks like a new player.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Columbus Rangers

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Xoggz22

This trade works out for both teams. One thing I haven't seen the Ranger fans acknowledge is that all three players acquired will be RFA's next year and Brassard is not on a good contract based on his performance.

As a CBJ season ticket holder I can predict the Ranger fans will be saying (at some point next year):

Brassard - where's the consistency. He's good on the PP but can't win a faceoff and leaves me scratching my head.

Dorsett - guy takes penalties at the worst time but he's a team player. Love his commitment. Wish he had some skill and smarts

Moore - boy he can skate. Why doesn't he have more points and could he hit someone? He's pretty solid but I'm waiting for him to take so and so's place in the lineup.

I like all three CBJ players but they were expendible and I think Brass will struggle with Torts. All are great guys and great in the community. Moore is the gem of the bunch. If he can progress and put it together he's a 3/4 guy for sure with an outside chance at top pair skills.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'm interested in seeing how Brad Richards reacts to this deal.

Stepan and potentially both Brassard and Miller could be playing center long term. Richards' contract is also long term.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Gaborik away from Torts? This man is going back to his Minnesota days, still has a lot in the tank, great trade by CBJ, wow!

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Sorry if it's been posted already, but any idea on what lines the Rangers could ice now? Next year? Going to have to watch a lot of games now.
Despite the lineup changing frequently, it could be something like this for the next games:

HagelinStepanNash
CloweRichardsCallahan
ZucarelloBrassardPyatt
DorsettBoyleAsham

Del ZottoGirardi
McDonaghStralman
HamrlikEminger

Injured:Sauer, Staal

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Forgedias

I don't want to get down on any team, especially the Rangers in this deal because honestly I think the Rangers really lost out on this deal. I do really feel sorry for their fans though. Maybe some of you think Gabrorik is done, but he is what 31? He is still in his prime, he scored 40 goal for the Rangers last year and is coming off injury. Is he playing up to potential, maybe not, but he scores 40 goals consistently and he more then likely will get back to that.

For the Ranger fan, I feel for them, because how much more do they have to go through. There is a good chance they may miss the playoffs this year. If this happens, they don't have their first round draft pick, so this draft that may be one of the best drafts in 10 years, the fans will miss out on the draft as well.

When it came to this trade, Marian Gaborik IS a 40 goal scorer. He isn't a second or third line winger, he is a top line winger, top 5 goal scorer in the league. That can't be denied or disputed, so if the Rangers as an organization is going to trade a player of his caliber, then they better be getting something back in return. And this is where I think the Rangers failed badly. Columbus has 3 first round draft picks for this upcoming draft. We all know how deep and franchise changing this draft will be. Getting one of those draft picks had to be part of the deal. Even if it was the LA 1st rounder, one of those draft picks had to come back to the Rangers. But they didn't get a first rounder back, they got brassard, a decent 2nd or 3rd line centerman, Dorsett who currently is injured and Moore a young blueliner and a 6th round pick. Are these 3 players going to solve the Rangers goal scoring problems, are they going to provide depth to the Ranger roster so they can push for the playoffs? I have a hard time believing this trade will do that.

I'm very surprised that the Rangers couldn't get a 1st round draft pick out of this, especially with Columbus already owning the Rangers first round pick, getting that first round draft pick for a player like Gaborik had to be part of the deal at the minimum.

Good work by the Columbus management, but if I was a fan of the Rangers, I would be disappointed by the return they got.

Edit. I should add that the Rangers also traded a 40 goal scorer to a team that will be in their division next year. Again questionable trade.

Forgedias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Puckgenius*

Rangers just got a lot more balanced and Brassard will most likely replace Richards as the #2 centre next year.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Stepan and potentially both Brassard and Miller could be playing center long term. Richards' contract is also long term.
Exactly, which is why this deal was so obviously not about salary cap space (I suspect Richards is not long for NYR, one way or another). This was a message to Richards.

It's about the coach. The whole thing makes no sense without accepting it.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Machinehead
H8ers Gonna H8

Excited about this one. Great ****in job Glen!

04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark76 View Post
You guys that are saying it was a bad deal for the rangers have no idea how much gabby's game has degenerated over the past 3 years. Also you have to take into account how fragile gabby is...one shoulder hit and the rangers just got 3 decent depth guys for nothing.

I'd love to be angry about this trade...but I think it works for both teams. I hope gabby finds at least 75% of his game back. He needs to be the spotlight player to succeed IMO
41 goals in Torts "suck the life out of hockey" system is degenerating?

I don't mind the pieces we got but I'd much rather have kept Gabby. Consider this NYR fan very unhappy this trade was made.

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
This trade works out for both teams. One thing I haven't seen the Ranger fans acknowledge is that all three players acquired will be RFA's next year and Brassard is not on a good contract based on his performance.

As a CBJ season ticket holder I can predict the Ranger fans will be saying (at some point next year):

Brassard - where's the consistency. He's good on the PP but can't win a faceoff and leaves me scratching my head.

Dorsett - guy takes penalties at the worst time but he's a team player. Love his commitment. Wish he had some skill and smarts

Moore - boy he can skate. Why doesn't he have more points and could he hit someone? He's pretty solid but I'm waiting for him to take so and so's place in the lineup.

I like all three CBJ players but they were expendible and I think Brass will struggle with Torts. All are great guys and great in the community. Moore is the gem of the bunch. If he can progress and put it together he's a 3/4 guy for sure with an outside chance at top pair skills.
I'm excited about Moore. I really like US born blueliners, who are 6ft+, 200lbs+ and can skate. With the way the game is now, it's more important that a blueliner can skate more than it is that they're tough. IMO, instead you want forwards who are tough and continually pound the opposition blueliners. A guy the size of Moore can take a hit and still make a play.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Gaborik away from Torts? This man is going back to his Minnesota days, still has a lot in the tank, great trade by CBJ, wow!
He scored 40 goals once for Minn in 8 seasons, scored 40 twice for NY under Torts in 4 seasons. 70+ points once in Minn, twice in NYR.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Columbus Rangers
New York Blue Jackets.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Exactly, which is why this deal was so obviously not about salary cap space (I suspect Richards is not long for NYR, one way or another). This was a message to Richards.

It's about the coach. The whole thing makes no sense without accepting it.
It's absolutely about salary. It only puts Richards on notice because the Rangers have a limited time frame to do a compliance buyout. Gabby was leaving no matter what this offseason. Stepan and McDonagh's solid play have ensured it by pushing up their value.